Author Topic: Hangover 2  (Read 2476 times)

BayGBM

• Getbig V
Hangover 2
« on: May 31, 2011, 07:54:48 AM »
Not my kind of movie but I got dragged to it and loved it.  Very funny!  Liked it so much I ended up renting the original and enjoyed it too. 2 is much funnier!  

UPINTHEMGUTS

• Getbig V
  • I can spot crazy pussy....
Re: Hangover 2
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2011, 08:00:12 AM »
Not my kind of move but I got dragged to it and loved it.  Very funny!  Liked it so much I ended up renting the original and enjoyed it too. 2 is much funnier! 

You're in the minority then. I haven't seen it but so far the reviews have been less than stellar. I hear that the movie is darker and with a more serious tone. Not as many laughs as the first.

BayGBM

• Getbig V
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2011, 08:08:15 AM »
It broke box office records for a comedy opening.  Much funnier than the first.  The second one is set in Bangkok.  Running around Bangcock is much funnier than running around Vegas! :D

BIG ACH

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2011, 09:15:33 AM »
I thought the first one was funnier, but 2 definitely had it's laugh out moments, part of the reason 1 was funnier was because you just didn't expect any of the crazy shit they did whereas in two, you kinda knew it was coming.  Bay that's probably why you liked 2 more, because you saw it first.

BayGBM

• Getbig V
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2011, 10:15:22 AM »
I thought the first one was funnier, but 2 definitely had it's laugh out moments, part of the reason 1 was funnier was because you just didn't expect any of the crazy shit they did whereas in two, you kinda knew it was coming.  Bay that's probably why you liked 2 more, because you saw it first.

Agreed.  It was all unexpected and new to me. :D
I saw Aliens before I saw Alien as well.  Both were excellent SciFi entertainment!

Migs

• Getbig V
  • THERE WAS A FIRE FIGHT!!!!
« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2011, 04:26:01 PM »
You're in the minority then. I haven't seen it but so far the reviews have been less than stellar. I hear that the movie is darker and with a more serious tone. Not as many laughs as the first.

at first it was darker then lightend up nicely.  I would see it again

Jadeveon Clowney

• Getbig V
  • The life is like a case of chocolate bonbon.
« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2011, 04:29:50 PM »
Not my kind of move but I got dragged to it and loved it.  Very funny!  Liked it so much I ended up renting the original and enjoyed it too. 2 is much funnier! 

Of course you would.

stuntmovie

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2011, 08:25:13 PM »
Saw it today and didn't like until the final credits  when they showed the photographs of what actually happened.

Has anyone here ever drawn a 'blank' after a drug or alcohol overload?

OzmO

• Getbig V
  • Drink enough Kool-aid and you'll think its healthy
« Reply #8 on: June 01, 2011, 03:57:47 PM »
Once  :-X

RUDE BUOY

• Getbig V
  • The Franchise
« Reply #9 on: June 01, 2011, 04:10:23 PM »
2 is much funnier!  
communist  >:(

BayGBM

• Getbig V
« Reply #10 on: June 01, 2011, 07:30:11 PM »
Saw it today and didn't like until the final credits  when they showed the photographs of what actually happened.

Has anyone here ever drawn a 'blank' after a drug or alcohol overload?

Only from anesthesia.  Last conscious thought was laying on a bed chatting with a doctor... next conscious thought was sitting upright in a chair in a recovery room.  Had absolutlely no memory of what happened in between or how long I was under . . . Scary to think about what drugs can do to you! :-\

stuntmovie

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #11 on: June 01, 2011, 07:52:14 PM »
Thanks for the response, Bay, but what the hell did the guy put inside the marshmellos to blank out their memories? I think I missed that part by falling asleep .... or maybe something was in the popcorn.

pedro01

• Getbig V
  • Hello Hunior
« Reply #12 on: June 01, 2011, 08:50:42 PM »
Drugging tourists is a national sport here in Thailand.

Thankfully, I've neve

BayGBM

• Getbig V
« Reply #13 on: June 02, 2011, 04:13:18 AM »
Thanks for the response, Bay, but what the hell did the guy put inside the marshmellos to blank out their memories? I think I missed that part by falling asleep .... or maybe something was in the popcorn.

It was the marshmallows and we are not told what he laced them with. :-\
Would be cool to drug my buddies some bodybuilders like that! ;D

BIG ACH

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
« Reply #14 on: June 02, 2011, 11:44:30 AM »
It was the marshmallows and we are not told what he laced them with. :-\
Would be cool to drug my buddies some bodybuilders like that! ;D

No we were told, he put muscle relaxers and one other thing (can't remember the name) in the marshmallows!

stuntmovie

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #15 on: June 03, 2011, 12:22:36 AM »
Bay, you may be joking about drugging your friends (bodybuilders) but that did occur a couple of times when Club 54 was the prime L.A. hot-spot and it was the major topic of conversation for a couple of days at Golds when it was located in Santa Monica.

Thanks, ACH. I had a feeling that those damn marshmellos woud 're-enter' the movie the moment the Cooper character picked them up,  looked at them, made a comment, and then threw them aside.

And then much later we discover why that marshmello shot was important.

There's a name for that important shot, but  I forget what they call it. Any help?

Interesting to note ,…. Just about everything you see and hear in any movie scene is important for the story.

For instance ,,, that marshmello scene cost many-many thousands of dollars to get on film, and no director is willing to waste thousands of dollars  to give a bag of marshmllos visual screen time unless some marshmello company was willing to enter the picture under a Product Placement deal.

But marshmellos and drugs are not  an intelligent advertising option.

So it was somewhat  evident that those marshmellos had some importance within the script.

BayGBM

• Getbig V
« Reply #16 on: June 03, 2011, 08:08:00 AM »
Critics are assailing this movie as a racist play on Asian stereotypes.
http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/g/a/2011/06/03/apop060311.DTL

Sorry, but I thought it was just plain funny.  Everyone was the butt of jokes in this flick.  It is a low brow comedy; you do not see a film like this expecting political correctness.  And isn't Bangkok known the world over as an anything goes sexual vortex?  It is ripe for comedy and making fun of it is not racist in my view.

They are already planning Hangover 3 which will reportedly be set in Amsterdam.  Presumably setting the film elsewhere with fewer Asians will make the critics happy. ::)

UPINTHEMGUTS

• Getbig V
  • I can spot crazy pussy....
« Reply #17 on: June 03, 2011, 08:55:24 AM »
Some of you pillow biters should really put SPOILER ALERTS in your posts before talking about scenes from this movie.

Just a thought.

Butterbean

• Special Guests
  • Getbig V
« Reply #18 on: June 03, 2011, 09:15:25 AM »

There's a name for that important shot, but  I forget what they call it. Any help?

[/quote]

I didn't see the film but are you talking about foreshadowing?
R

stuntmovie

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #19 on: June 04, 2011, 10:57:07 AM »
Bay, word is out that they are already working (script writing) on IV, V, and VI as well as III.

But I think III will kill off the intended series unless they open up writers' discussions with some of my military buds who have taken liberty in various parts of Asia and Europe. SOme of those experiences/stories have been grossly exaggerated but would definitely give Hollywood something to think about.

stuntmovie

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #20 on: June 04, 2011, 11:32:11 AM »
Thanks, BUTTER, 'Foreshadowing" may be correct terminology. I'm not sure though. Any scriptwriters in the house?

Here's a question for  you movie fans ..... I'm not a script-writer but I've ready my fair share on the subject and I do recall an author saying that there were only Seven(?) 'story lines' that were possible to develop.

Can anyone elaborate? I cannot find the book in which that is discussed and it''s supposed to be pretty darn basic.

stuntmovie

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #21 on: June 04, 2011, 11:40:28 AM »
Just received this from a writer friend ......

The seven basic plots are:

1 - Man vs. nature

2 - Man vs. man

3 - Man vs. the environment

4 - Man vs. machines/technology

5 - Man vs. the supernatural

6 - Man vs. self

7 - Man vs. god/religion

Megalodon

• Getbig V
« Reply #22 on: June 10, 2011, 11:09:21 AM »
It's better to talk just about screenwriting and moviemaking than actual do it or be aware of when others do.

YoungBlood

• Getbig V
  • Weee!
« Reply #23 on: June 11, 2011, 04:25:21 PM »

I didn't see the film but are you talking about foreshadowing?

Not sure if the correct word you may be thinking of, but I usually refer to that sort of thing as "misdirection." They want you to think one way, but sort of pull your train of thought another way mid-stride in order to not get you to focus on a certain aspect where the misdirection occurs. "Thomas Crown Affair" with Pierce Brosnan did this, and a number of movies use it effectively.

I was watching Hangover 2 in the theaters watching for any little possible clue as to who is going to do what and how or why. I completely missed it, though I originally thought "how the hell do you dose a bag of marshmallows?" and come to find out I was right.  :-\

stuntmovie

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #24 on: June 11, 2011, 09:54:36 PM »
YOUGBLOOD. I don't think "misdirection" was used in Hangover II, but it was evident in those "Murder on" the Orient Express  movies.

One other Hollywood quirk is usually pretty evident when a big star is in the film without a leading role. That's the one who usually turns out to be the culprit.

And the lovable dog dies at the end.

And the character who stops in the middle of the street to blow a kiss to a departing loved one and gets smashed by a 20 ton MAC truck going 99 miles an hour.

But the one scene I hate the most is when the hero/heros of the story casually stroll away from the exploding building without blinking an eye or making any attempt to see the resulting catastrophe. I hate it when that happens and want to shoot that writer, director, and the whole damn crew

BTW ... SUPER 8 was a surprisingly bad movie.