Author Topic: Yea or Nay: Discriminatory Hiring Practices ala Dubai, India  (Read 4998 times)

syntaxmachine

• Getbig IV
In Dubai (India), employers are allowed a rather large amount of leeway to discriminate against potential employees: face shots for resumes/CVs are virtually required, and job ads may specify the desired race, sex, and attractiveness of candidates.

What are the pros and cons of this approach? Should an employer be able to specify that they want their next PA to be a Russian national with big tits? Should a getbigger's gorgeous face be explicitly allowed to enhance their career? Studies indicate that attractiveness-based discrimination is rampant and probably a natural property of human interactions; would things be any worse if Western laws allowed the discrimination to be explicit, given that it is occurring anyway?

(a short but pertinent article on the issue at hand: http://www.thenational.ae/news/uae-news/job-advert-discrimination-not-illegal-in-uae)

Psychopath

• Getbig IV
  • TEAM DIME PIECE TRANNY
Re: Yea or Nay: Discriminatory Hiring Practices ala Dubai, India
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2013, 03:08:46 PM »
They're basically doing what western employers do but the only difference, they don't hide behind PC/equal opportunity employer/non-discriminatory rhetoric.

Chadwick The Beta

• Getbig V
  • "Stop calling me by my name."
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2013, 06:45:44 PM »
Who is going to sue a company for "not hiring me because I'm a fat, ugly bitch with a stinky pussy"  ???
K

Tedim

• Getbig V
  • "Ну GetBig, ну погоди"
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2013, 06:50:47 PM »
Who is going to sue a company for "not hiring me because I'm a fat, ugly bitch with a stinky pussy"  ???

THE fat ugly bitch with a stinky pussy and a Jew lawyer.

Archer77

• Getbig V
  • Team Shizzo
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2013, 07:02:33 PM »
You should be able to hire anyone you want to.  Government should never dictate who a business hires.  A smart business will hire the most capable people. But even if they don't, that's their right.
A

Roger Bacon

• Getbig V
  • Roger Bacon tries to be witty and fails
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2013, 07:02:56 PM »
In Dubai (India), employers are allowed a rather large amount of leeway to discriminate against potential employees: face shots for resumes/CVs are virtually required, and job ads may specify the desired race, sex, and attractiveness of candidates.

What are the pros and cons of this approach? Should an employer be able to specify that they want their next PA to be a Russian national with big tits? Should a getbigger's gorgeous face be explicitly allowed to enhance their career? Studies indicate that attractiveness-based discrimination is rampant and probably a natural property of human interactions; would things be any worse if Western laws allowed the discrimination to be explicit, given that it is occurring anyway?

(a short but pertinent article on the issue at hand: http://www.thenational.ae/news/uae-news/job-advert-discrimination-not-illegal-in-uae)

Yes, we should all have the freedom to discriminate for any reason we choose.

Teutonic Knight

• Getbig V
« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2013, 08:04:06 PM »
DUBAI IS NOT IN INDIA  ;D ;D ;D
United Arabs Emirates  ;) ;) ;)

Chadwick The Beta

• Getbig V
« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2013, 01:18:21 PM »
DUBAI IS NOT IN INDIA  ;D ;D ;D
United Arabs Emirates  ;) ;) ;)

"Dubai,India" is a classic getbig meme
K

Rhino

• Getbig IV
  • Jesus Christ is lord and savior
« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2013, 02:34:48 PM »
I don't know why people always say Dubai is in India. I am starting to think they are trolling. 
X

Psychopath

• Getbig IV
  • TEAM DIME PIECE TRANNY
« Reply #9 on: July 18, 2013, 02:36:51 PM »
I don't know why people always say Dubai is in India. I am starting to think they are trolling. 

lol, you're starting to sound like prostitute booty.

Nomad

• Getbig IV
« Reply #10 on: July 18, 2013, 02:37:08 PM »

because there aer more indins in dubai then in uae

so dubai india makes sense

;D
all drugs - TPPIIP

Tedim

• Getbig V
  • "Ну GetBig, ну погоди"
« Reply #11 on: July 18, 2013, 02:37:37 PM »

They confuse it with Mumbai....

Chadwick The Beta

• Getbig V
« Reply #12 on: July 18, 2013, 02:41:11 PM »

Someone on this board once said Dubai, India ... and ever since then, people on getbig use that expression to mock the poor bastard.
K

Rhino

• Getbig IV
« Reply #13 on: July 18, 2013, 02:51:44 PM »
Someone on this board once said Dubai, India ... and ever since then, people on getbig use that expression to mock the poor bastard.

haha... that's a true getbigger. Dubai India it is :)
X

Archer77

• Getbig V
  • Team Shizzo
« Reply #14 on: July 18, 2013, 02:57:42 PM »

I remember this
A

BIG ACH

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
« Reply #15 on: July 18, 2013, 03:31:02 PM »

Yes in the Middle East you can pretty much ask ANYTHING you want in an interview.  Whats your religion? Are you married?  What do your parents do?  Whats your sexual orientation?  Do you have kids? etc etc etc.

Employers can even hold on to your passport basically trapping you in the country until you get the job done and they allow your passport back!

ESFitness

• Getbig V
  • i win.
« Reply #16 on: July 18, 2013, 03:37:15 PM »

i'm all for it.

i'm not a fat ugly dude. so if I was looking for a job, i'll take every advantage I can... I don't care if it's for a position as a financial advisor or at a car wash. if you look better than average, you should be rewarded.

also, if I want to hire a smoking hot brunette just because she's smoking hot, I think I should be able to do it... and if she sucks at the job, I should be able to fire her ass without her suing me. since she did after all get hired just because she's attractive.

Teutonic Knight

• Getbig V
« Reply #17 on: July 18, 2013, 08:20:44 PM »
They confuse it with Mumbai....

something like Londonistan (4 London)  :D

Borracho

• Getbig V
  • Waking up is possible if ur tired of the dream....
« Reply #18 on: July 18, 2013, 09:12:19 PM »
They're basically doing what western employers do but the only difference, they don't hide behind PC/equal opportunity employer/non-discriminatory rhetoric.

Yeah pretty much.

Yeah I remember this one but what's up with the give me 10 names meme?

pedro01

• Getbig V
  • Hello Hunior
« Reply #19 on: July 18, 2013, 09:33:31 PM »
Here in Thailand, I regularly get resume's with photo's on them.

I don't request them but they come that way anyway.

If I was brutally honest, I'd have to say that yeah - there's a few that got stuck in the bin 'cause they were fkin huge and a few that got interviews because they were unqualified but cute and I thought it would be a pleasant diversion.

Fact is, when it comes down to it, you can reject any applicant. No-one will really know why you rejected them but even in the USA, where "all men are equal", people will get rejected because of looks/weight/race.

You can only apply the veneer, the appearance of forcing people to select employees without considering their appearance. You can't really stop it happening.

pedro01

• Getbig V
  • Hello Hunior
« Reply #20 on: July 18, 2013, 09:37:35 PM »

This place can be quite unforgiving at times

240_Iz_Nutz

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #21 on: July 18, 2013, 09:46:28 PM »
Here in Thailand, I regularly get resume's with photo's on them.

I don't request them but they come that way anyway.

If I was brutally honest, I'd have to say that yeah - there's a few that got stuck in the bin 'cause they were fkin huge and a few that got interviews because they were unqualified but cute and I thought it would be a pleasant diversion.

Fact is, when it comes down to it, you can reject any applicant. No-one will really know why you rejected them but even in the USA, where "all men are equal", people will get rejected because of looks/weight/race.

You can only apply the veneer, the appearance of forcing people to select employees without considering their appearance. You can't really stop it happening.

Yeah, it so happens every day in the US. It isn't always a bad thing. When shit like good looking women getting hired for less money than someone else would, it does kinda suck.

Rhino

• Getbig IV
« Reply #22 on: July 18, 2013, 09:48:31 PM »
This place can be quite unforgiving at times
lol
X

Roger Bacon

• Getbig V
  • Roger Bacon tries to be witty and fails
« Reply #23 on: July 18, 2013, 09:49:19 PM »
but even in the USA, where "all men are equal", people will get rejected because of looks/weight/race.

I don't know if you're aware, but you can easily get sued here in the US for discrimination even if you didn't, and lose in court.  In our supposedly free country, you cannot choose who you live around, who you hire, do business with, sell your property to, etc...

I'm serious, you would be surprised.

People get sued all the time for not accepting offers from black people when selling their house.  Even if it was truly because it was a low offer, you'll lose in court.

pedro01

• Getbig V
  • Hello Hunior
« Reply #24 on: July 18, 2013, 09:56:37 PM »
I don't know if you're aware, but you can easily get sued here in the US for discrimination even if you didn't, and lose in court.  In our supposedly free country, you cannot choose who you live around, who you hire, do business with, sell your property to, etc...

I'm serious, you would be surprised.

People get sued all the time for not accepting offers from black people when selling their house.  Even if it was truly because it was a low offer, you'll lose in court.

Sure - I'm with you 100% on that in terms of the situation out there.

How do you prove that someone made a decision  based on physical appearance?

It's impossible.

When you get a letter saying "we found a more suitable candidate" - sure you can go to a lawyer and sue the company for rejecting you because you are black/fat/whatever. Court might even find in your favor.

That proves nothing about the reason the decision was made - just about how fucked up the courts/affirmative action is in the USA.