Author Topic: For nattys 30 years and older...  (Read 79595 times)

coltrane

• Getbig IV
For nattys 30 years and older...
« on: July 07, 2009, 12:11:09 PM »
I'm now 31 and been bodybuilding naturally for roughly 16 years straight.

I haven't yet felt it, but when do you start feeling your strength diminish due to age and lowering of test levels?

Just curious to hear from those with first hand experience.

The ChemistV2

• Getbig IV
Re: For nattys 30 years and older...
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2009, 12:23:32 PM »

I haven't yet felt it, but when do you start feeling your strength diminish due to age and lowering of test levels?

i'm 46..did juice a couple of times in the 80's..but haven't since then. Feel like my strength is still holding up..finding it hard to get lean though..even with a strict diet and two 45 minute cardio sessions a day.. Years ago, I would have been shredded with my current regime. Not fat..weigh about 200 at 5'9" and can see a bit of abs..but not real defined. I probably will get my testosterone levels tested in the next month or so to see where I'm at. If they're really low, I might consider Hormone replacement.

Beefjake

• Getbig IV
  • Oh fuck it.
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2009, 01:52:31 PM »
I'm 33 and I still occasionally do personal bests in the gym.

With three kids I Find it hard to go to gym more than 3x week. Usually I go like 2x week.

I'll rotate few basic exercises, with no particular order tough.

So I think that with enough recovery 35 is no prob. 45 might be.

Krankenstein

• Getbig V
  • quit·ter : a person can't finish a task
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2009, 08:28:30 AM »
i'm 46..did juice a couple of times in the 80's..but haven't since then. Feel like my strength is still holding up..finding it hard to get lean though..even with a strict diet and two 45 minute cardio sessions a day.. Years ago, I would have been shredded with my current regime. Not fat..weigh about 200 at 5'9" and can see a bit of abs..but not real defined. I probably will get my testosterone levels tested in the next month or so to see where I'm at. If they're really low, I might consider Hormone replacement.

Same here.  Its a mind fuck when you get under some of the weight that was part of your warm-ups 10 - 15 years previous and its now your work set.  I would say I am 10 - 20% weaker now than I was back then.  Being 40....the thought has entered my mind to get the test levels checked.  If I go that route, then I will have consider if it truly is fair for me to compete in the WNBF anymore.  Tough decision. 

I am sure I am not alone in that the 'warm up' before getting into the meat and potato portion of the workout seems to take longer now than when you are younger.  I still train with 100% intensity....but do wish I would have backed off every now and then as the years went along.

coltrane

• Getbig IV
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2009, 10:20:52 AM »
great posts by some older iron warriors.. 

thanks guys!

AVBG

« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2009, 11:55:25 AM »
I'm 36 with two kids.. been training on/off since late eighties..Although my training has changed over the years in from less low volume heavy weight to more moderate weight higher volume I don't feel any weaker nor the need for HRT (I still feel like I am in my early 20's).

FootballCoach

• Getbig I
« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2009, 04:09:09 AM »

I am 43, have 3 kids with a 4th on the way. Have been on a beer binge for the last year after moving twice in four months, taking two new jobs and all this other crap in the way of training ....and guess what? I am as strong as I was when I was 28
Sample- I do my 3 sets of bench with 315 for 5- 8

first understand that I was a pencil neck hard gainer until college but now have a weight problem and am working on it wiht the anabolic diet which is wonderful (about to carb up now) second understand that i have never touched drugs of any kind or even seen them.  yeah, i must lifve in a cave. .

one thing I had to do to GET REAL was change my lifting. I used to do a 3 on , 1 off or a 4 on , 1 off routine but I went to an every other  day split and it did two things for me a) allowed me to rest and grow BETTER because i was out of the gym every other day and it b) allowed me to do things around the house or be with my family etc.  finally, id say that as you get older sooner or later you realize that you had better fix the diet. you also realize hat you dont need to train for 2 hours. i spend about 40 minutes in tehe gym every other day

most of teh strongeset men on the planet are veteran lifters in their 40s Ill bet. just a bet, not a fact.

FootballCoach

• Getbig I
« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2009, 02:47:28 AM »
Let me add, what sucks most about training now vs training them, ARTHRITIS. an exray of my knees, MRI or whatever, shows my knees have craters, spikes, peaks and valleys...bone spurs....makes knees sore as hell after heavy leg day.

thebear

• Getbig II
« Reply #8 on: July 20, 2009, 10:42:15 AM »
I am 43 yrs. old   have about 20 yrs. of training under my belt off and on and I still bomb away like I did when I was in my 20's but I am starting to experience some joint pain now all the time, nothing real bad, just noticeable every now and then, I crack everywhere -knees, shoulders etc..

I probably wouldn't change a thing though if I could do it all over again - lifting has been a great experience- been great to challenge myself and see what I could achieve despite what others said

Stebeds

• Getbig II
« Reply #9 on: November 27, 2009, 09:26:49 AM »
I am 33 and only just STARTING out.  ;D

So at least you lot have been there and done it, I am only just embarking in it.

I aim for about 5 years to go from 154lbs I am now (11st dead on) to around the 180lbs to 200lbs range. Thats around 14st.

So my aim is to gain 3st in 5 years. That averages out to about 0.7lb of muscle gained per month. PIECE OF PISS! I bet it can be done in even less time like 3 years with a few naughty cycles along the way.

The really odd thing with me is I already have OK legs, not muscular but not skinny, its my upper body that needs the gains.

I thought I was too old but its not true, my mates dad is 75 and he looks about 50. You wouldn't want to f**k with him I know that much. He still lifts weights to this day and he is 75 FFS.

So I reckon up to like 50 years old you can keep it up, longer even.

Although when you look at Arnie now it is a bit worrying and harder to keep fat off as you get older.

I read somewhere, testosterone levels in men peak at 40. Therefore it follows surely that the people that can expect the best gains are not the 18 year olds, not the 25 year olds but the 40 year olds?

Its a right bastard how you can't just go back in time lol.

Stefano

• Getbig III
« Reply #10 on: December 15, 2009, 11:14:03 AM »
Let me add, what sucks most about training now vs training them, ARTHRITIS. an exray of my knees, MRI or whatever, shows my knees have craters, spikes, peaks and valleys...bone spurs....makes knees sore as hell after heavy leg day.

wear and tear due to lifting?

powerpack

• Getbig IV
  • Time to get Buck wild!
« Reply #11 on: December 17, 2009, 08:04:38 AM »
At 42 strength wise I am still up there.
As test levels go I am still strong, aggressive and horny.
But I am also struggling to stay lean, 10 years ago what I am eating now would have been considered starvation rations, but I still don't look as lean

MuscleMcMannus

• Getbig V
« Reply #12 on: December 17, 2009, 08:36:41 AM »
Same here.  Its a mind fuck when you get under some of the weight that was part of your warm-ups 10 - 15 years previous and its now your work set.  I would say I am 10 - 20% weaker now than I was back then.  Being 40....the thought has entered my mind to get the test levels checked.  If I go that route, then I will have consider if it truly is fair for me to compete in the WNBF anymore.  Tough decision. 

I am sure I am not alone in that the 'warm up' before getting into the meat and potato portion of the workout seems to take longer now than when you are younger.  I still train with 100% intensity....but do wish I would have backed off every now and then as the years went along.

You're whole physique is a mind fuck douchebag! 

musclecenter

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • Mr.Taiwan
« Reply #13 on: December 17, 2009, 09:01:14 AM »
I'm 56 and have been training over 38 years .
http://www.getbig.com/boards/index.php?topic=117526.0

big L dawg

• Getbig V
  • i always tell the truth even when i lie...
« Reply #14 on: December 17, 2009, 09:15:01 AM »
33 now been lifting since 15 lifetime natural....and just did a personal best in bench press yesterday....that being said by the time your late 30's early 40's test (HRT) might not only be something to consider it might be healthy and benificial in alot of ways....
DAWG

thebear

• Getbig II
« Reply #15 on: December 17, 2009, 02:30:19 PM »
I think a lot of it is mental, where the mind goes- the body will follow . I am 43 and still maintaining my strength / power ( not endurance) just power. I did a 390 # paused bench press today with gas left in the tank at 205# body weight.I don't have single digit body fat any more ( still relatively lean though)  but I still look good with 19" muscular arms ( I have terrible legs ) My point is that age is just a "number" -within reason. If a person is physically active all their life then I believe they can be "productive" well into their 50's and make gains. You have to train right, eat right, rest and repeat. A lot of good info. on this site, lots of knowledgeable guys !  just my $.02

MuscleMcMannus

• Getbig V
« Reply #16 on: December 17, 2009, 02:32:04 PM »
I think a lot of it is mental, where the mind goes- the body will follow . I am 43 and still maintaining my strength / power ( not endurance) just power. I did a 390 # paused bench press today with gas left in the tank at 205# body weight.I don't have single digit body fat any more ( still relatively lean though)  but I still look good with 19" muscular arms ( I have terrible legs ) My point is that age is just a "number" -within reason. If a person is physically active all their life then I believe they can be "productive" well into their 50's and make gains. You have to train right, eat right, rest and repeat. A lot of good info. on this site, lots of knowledgeable guys !  just my $.02

What's the point of having 19" inch arms and little tiny stick legs/calves?  I never understood guys like that.  They look silly......especially in a pair of shorts.  Must be the new trend nowadays. 

thebear

• Getbig II
« Reply #17 on: December 17, 2009, 03:02:41 PM »
Yeah, I gotta agree with you. If I could do it over again I would have bombed my lower body as hard as my arms etc.... I have no excuses really. I had an upper class man come up to me in school years ago and grab my arms in front of some people and say " you got tooth picks" for arms ... I went home and told my dad I wanted a weight set so I could "show" him one day .... I guess I never forgot that incident. I have always stayed in decent shape but always had an "upper body" mentality, big mistake for sure. I have been hitting the legs hard the last few years, but starting leg training at 40 is not the same as starting it at 25. My strength is decent but the size aint there for sure. You are right though, a lot of upper body guys walking around lately it seems.

big L dawg

• Getbig V
« Reply #18 on: December 17, 2009, 05:52:25 PM »

I hear what your sayin man....however there are numerous negative ailments that occur once a mans test continues to lower as we age(it's not all in your head its a biological fact)...many women seek hormone therapy for estrogen and menopausal issues as they age...theres no shame and it can be down right healthy and extremely beneficial to replace test levels as we age....not talkin about what pro's or even bodybuilders in general do...talkin bout havin the test of an 18-21 year old when your 35-45 years old...could add years along with significantly add quality to your life.....Like I said I'm a lifetime natural and proud of it... but if my doc does blood work and says my T levels are low and I could benefit from HRT I'm gonna take advantage of what modern medicine has to offer....
DAWG

thebear

• Getbig II
« Reply #19 on: December 19, 2009, 07:33:02 AM »
Agree with everything you said bro

nolotil

• Getbig III
« Reply #20 on: December 19, 2009, 03:57:57 PM »
in general hormones dont start to fall until 50s..so for example 37 years old is nothing (as an example)...the thing you need to be causious about is accumulation of injuries tho. you will be able to gain into your 40s..no problem...unless genetic limit stops your progress..obviously gains will come slower because your not a newbie..but it is not being 39 years old or whatever that per se that is making it difficult.

big L dawg

• Getbig V
« Reply #21 on: December 19, 2009, 04:56:21 PM »
in general hormones dont start to fall until 50s..so for example 37 years old is nothing (as an example)...the thing you need to be causious about is accumulation of injuries tho. you will be able to gain into your 40s..no problem...unless genetic limit stops your progress..obviously gains will come slower because your not a newbie..but it is not being 39 years old or whatever that per se that is making it difficult.

were did you here test levels don't fall until the 50's?If you have a link to an article or something stating this from a reputable source I would like to read it.....I have been told by numerous people including my doctor and an endocrinologist that the process (although may very slightly person to person)starts decades before what you are claiming....
DAWG

nolotil

• Getbig III
« Reply #22 on: December 19, 2009, 05:10:56 PM »
were did you here test levels don't fall until the 50's?If you have a link to an article or something stating this from a reputable source I would like to read it.....I have been told by numerous people including my doctor and an endocrinologist that the process (although may very slightly person to person)starts decades before what you are claiming....

no no..im talking about BIG differences..yes they start to decline but normally not as much as people claim..

i mean sometimes we have people who are 33 years old and think they cant gain muscle mass..even 33 year olds who just recently started to lift.

buffdnet

• Time Out
  • Getbig III
  • fuck the pope
« Reply #23 on: January 29, 2010, 08:11:36 PM »
i woke up old one day when i was about 48.
54 now, expect to set personal best in the deadlift,
overhead press and leg sled. made the sled record already.
I find my self continiously stronger as long as my training is consitent, heavy
for 5-7 reps and 1-3 movements for big body parts, 1-2 for everything else
1 day on 2 off 1 on seems to be about ideal for me

YngiweRhoads

• Getbig V
  • Shreddin'
« Reply #24 on: April 09, 2010, 04:50:00 AM »
I'm 42 and still do the same workouts I did in my 20's.  I cycle my workouts between heavy and light days, depending on how I feel. Strength and energy seem to be fine.