Author Topic: lower back pain  (Read 5548 times)

MikeyQ

lower back pain
« on: October 23, 2005, 08:59:31 AM »
I hurt my lower back doing deadlifts about a month ago.   Now when ever I bend down to pick up heavy weight I feel pain in my lower back.  It stops me from squating and doing almost all back exercises.  What do I do?  I'm extremely frustrated.  My back feels fine throughout the week but once I go to train I feel pain.

Please help :-\

Captain Morgan

• Getbig II
  • Getbig!
Re: lower back pain
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2005, 09:06:23 AM »
Go to a sports doctor who knows about this stuff. and don't pick up anything until then if it will aggrevate it. and next time, proper form! weight means nothing when you end up not being able to tie your shoelaces the next day.

pumpster

• Getbig V
  • If you're reading this you have too much free time
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2005, 09:38:07 AM »
Ya, after this long you have to get some advice while fully avoiding any further back trauma. If the problem's not easily solved with the help of a doctor, get a second opinion.

If/when the pain is removed, think twice about returning to deads, or if you just have to do them, go with lighter weights and higher reps after fully warming up. Also consider pre-exhaust using another exercise first.

Some exercises don't agree with certain people. I haven't done benches in decades.

MikeV

« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2005, 04:04:06 PM »
Mike,

there is a book entitled GoodBye BackPain,

in it , it contains 3 exercises that enabled me to say goodbye to backpain for good.

One is lying on the floor, then brining each leg towards your chest, and pulling it in, stretching your back.

You can also do the above exercise by bringing both legs together at the same time.

The other one is sitting on the floor, crossing one leg over another, and doing the back twist to the side.

Give it a few weeks.

Also pray and use positive affirmations.

Mike
www.RepsOfPain.com

dontknowit

• Getbig III
  • Masino's clit is kidnapped
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2005, 04:16:23 AM »
Walking slow-peace on a treadmill is also a good exercise. Just don't push if your in pain.

mem

• Getbig III
  • lifetime athlete
« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2005, 02:37:10 PM »
E V E N T U A L L Y

Consider doing training to strengthen core
which in turn will stabilize and protect
you back
1 life 1 liver

pumpster

• Getbig V
  • If you're reading this you have too much free time
« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2005, 07:44:22 PM »
Core strengthening is useful and should be considered, but is not a universal solution. For some the problems are closely related to the individual's physiology and suceptibility to stresses inherent to particular exercises.

didley

« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2005, 09:34:18 PM »

JPM

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2005, 10:00:36 PM »
Ah, the blessed DL, again!.....people must understand that the DL is not meant for everyone who work's out, as the squat is not meant for everyone no matter how perfect their forms try's to be. Probably the prefered way of picking up a dead weight off the floor is inside a trap/shrug bar because the weight and the arms (acting like a cable during the lift) are along side the body and not in front which may cause  a unnatural stretch/tweek to the small of the back, when that area is under great stress (weight lifted). 

May want to take a couple of weeks off training to insure recovery. During that time it may be wise to see about a spinal adjustment or even a deep sport's massage if you have the extra bucks. May also want to try GoodMornings with just a light exercise bar (or even a broom handle!) every day (20-30 light, easy reps) to bring healing blood into the area and also  to keep a somewhat flexable lower back area. Can even rub some sports lotion,cream, etc on to bring extra heat into the lower back while doing the light GM'ings. In any event rest will be the main requirement to bring that back area to a normal state again.

Personal note: I really prefer doing SLDL's rather than regular versions DL's, but just as low as the 45's allow. That lift is just about 100lbs lower than  my regular DL and never have been close to injury while doing it. The back is keeped straight & flat throughout the lift. I find that SLDL's and GoodMornings (probably even more) have helped my squats greatlyand also give great core strength to total body. Good idea to work the abs strongly, just as hard as the back, each will balance the other out. Good Luck.

SpeedDemon

• Getbig II
  • Hard work pays off
« Reply #9 on: October 30, 2005, 06:51:10 PM »
I always use strict form and body position when i lift (in regards to my lower back) squats, SLDL's, Bent over row things like that, I keep my back straight and hips under me but now i feel like that is making me susceptible to injury when trying to apply my strength because it is becoming disperportionate. I also fight MMA and when training the rest of my body feels stronger than the very lowest part of my back (where my spine meets my hips or my belt line) I feel it a lot when trying to finish an awkward shot, bridge and roll, pushing my hips in in the clinch. I feel the strength in my legs and upper back but it feels like a week link between the two. I was thinking about doing some goodmornings with a curve in my back and straightening it out as i come up. I know this is terrible form but i don't know what else to do. you can't count on your form to be perfect in a fight cause the resistance you meet is always changing and moving.

What do you guys think??

Two years ago help from guys on this board took me from 145 to 185 in about 7 months so i really respect and appreciate your input.

=Ben=

Hedgehog

• Getbig V
  • It Rubs The Lotion On Its Skin.
« Reply #10 on: October 30, 2005, 07:45:11 PM »
Personal note: I really prefer doing SLDL's rather than regular versions DL's, but just as low as the 45's allow. That lift is just about 100lbs lower than  my regular DL and never have been close to injury while doing it. The back is keeped straight & flat throughout the lift. I find that SLDL's and GoodMornings (probably even more) have helped my squats greatlyand also give great core strength to total body. Good idea to work the abs strongly, just as hard as the back, each will balance the other out. Good Luck.
Good point about using a lighter load on the SLDL.

A few years ago a Swedish guy told me how he did 3 reps SLDL's with 505 lbs... Apparently his regular deadlift was 545. For a single.

Can't believe these funny guys that repeatedly are doing "Stiffed legs". Either do the SLDL, or do regular deadlifts IMO.

Ego lifting ain't gonna make any sustaining growth IMO.

YIP
Zack
As empty as paradise

JPM

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #11 on: October 30, 2005, 08:11:31 PM »
Actually my SLDL is a little hefty, with my doing above the mid 500's for 5-9 reps from the floor, with a slight bounce. Really no reason not to go as heavy as your individual potentional allows you. I'll do regular Dl's on a 9ft bar when positioned in a power rack, lifting just above knee height, when I try sets of 3-5's, but never to the point of failure. Also have done shrugs from a set pin position of 3-4 inches with a little less than a  100  over my normal DL. Some of my training Bud's use like weights and training methods, so there's nothing really noticeable about what I use.  The lower back and abs are the core of heavy lifting, even overhead lifts. Good Luck.