Author Topic: Upper Back/ width and thickness  (Read 5624 times)

BigCypriate

• Getbig IV
  • F****n Peasants!
Upper Back/ width and thickness
« on: October 31, 2005, 08:38:51 AM »
Hi guys,

any suggestions on bulkin up upper back?

I want to increase thw width of my back and shoulders, but not lose the thickness?

Im currenty doing heavy t-bar rows and real wide pull-downs for this part of my back

any advice appreciated

Cheers

NoCalBbEr

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
Re: Upper Back/ width and thickness
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2005, 10:22:43 AM »
the same exerises.  weighted chins,yates row (underhand bb row) my you can try how milos' does deads with his lats  flexed.

Cavalier22

• Getbig IV
  • Citizens! The Fatherland is in Danger
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2005, 10:28:59 AM »
i really think weighted pullups, wide grip, are a lot better than pulldowns. try to do someof those real slow
Valhalla awaits.

big E

• Getbig III
  • Getbig!
« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2005, 12:13:25 PM »
this is very old school but i like it. goto a squat rack take pins that are just big enough for your hands and stick them in the slots as high as you can for pull ups its a very wide grip and the range of motion isn't great but the stretch on the lats is great.
Thaiboxing,Bjj

Blake

• Getbig III
  • Getbig!
« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2005, 02:59:19 PM »
Very wide grip pullups or pulldowns put a lot of stress on the shoulder girdle.  You're better off using a shoulder width or slightly wider than shoulder width grip.  Less stress on the shoulders, greater range of motion, and you can use more weight than going ultra wide.  Taking a very wide grip is not going to change the insertion points of your lat muscles.

JOHN MATRIX

• Getbig V
  • the Media is the Problem
« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2005, 06:33:43 PM »
stop training and eat as much as you can.
one of my managers from work, has the biggest back i have ever seen. for some reason his body puts all his fat in his lats. his arms and legs are small, his front is fairly fat, but his back is ENORMOUS.
his lats hang to his waist cold

BigCypriate

• Getbig IV
  • F****n Peasants!
« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2005, 04:56:34 AM »
Thanks for the info guys

really appreciated!

Will post a pic of progress
 ;D

Overload

• Getbig V
  • KO Artist
« Reply #7 on: November 01, 2005, 06:54:17 AM »
Very wide grip pullups or pulldowns put a lot of stress on the shoulder girdle.  You're better off using a shoulder width or slightly wider than shoulder width grip.  Less stress on the shoulders, greater range of motion, and you can use more weight than going ultra wide.  Taking a very wide grip is not going to change the insertion points of your lat muscles.

Good post!!!

i had to almost beat this into some of my training partners...they all thought, wider grip=wider lats. once they started doing chins with a shoulder width grip they noticed some great results.

8)

JPM

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #8 on: November 01, 2005, 08:07:28 AM »
BB cleans & HI-Pulls, which also hit the laterial and rear delts very hard. A prime back mass builder, sort of like a super charged upright row. Your shirts will never fit the same again and you will look like you could walk through a wall. Weighted chins with the thumbs facing you (Hammer grip). If your lucky enought to have a set of gymnstic rings (the ones that turn as you use them)  then use them and drop all other forms of chins. The rings allow a more natural function (twisting the wrist/elbow's,joints, etc) for chinning. More weight strapped on after time, the more the better.

The wider the grip the less recuitement of the lat's/back and probably more stress on the shoulder joints. A middle and even a close curl grip hit the lat's/back more directly. Good Luck.

BigCypriate

• Getbig IV
  • F****n Peasants!
« Reply #9 on: November 01, 2005, 08:18:28 AM »
BB cleans & HI-Pulls, which also hit the laterial and rear delts very hard. A prime back mass builder, sort of like a super charged upright row. Your shirts will never fit the same again and you will look like you could walk through a wall. Weighted chins with the thumbs facing you. If your lucky enought to have a set of gymnstic rings (the ones that turn as you use them)  then use them and drop all other forms of chins. The rings allow a more natural function (twisting the wrist/elbow's,joints, etc) for chinning. More weight strapped on after time, the more the better.

The wider the grip the less recuitement of the lat's/back and probably more stress on the shoulder joints. A middle and even a close curl grip hit the lat's/back more directly. Good Luck.

that's some good advice right there
hitting chest tonight, but will use the bb cleans and hi pulls
when i train on friday

cheers JPM

pumpster

• Getbig V
  • If you're reading this you have too much free time
« Reply #10 on: November 01, 2005, 12:53:34 PM »
-Pulldowns or weighted chins for width-vary once in a while, both equally good. With chins, touch the lower chest to the bar.

-Use medium or close grips-both hit the lats as well or better without stressing the joints as much.

-Rows for thickness-T-bar & Hammer rows are the best IMO. Free weight or pulley rows are almost as good.