Author Topic: Derek Jeter's farewell tour with gifts ...  (Read 23451 times)

tom joad

• Getbig V
Derek Jeter's farewell tour with gifts ...
« on: August 29, 2014, 10:28:00 AM »
Why is every team giving a gift to Derek Jeter during his last game in their stadium?  :-\
Yes, Jeter's a Hall of Famer but why the farewell tour with gifts?
Is it because Jeter (as far as the public knows) hasn't been linked to PEDs during his career?
Hall of Famer Barry Larkin retired without any hoopla.
I'll be having a few words with Jeter this weekend in Toronto and i'll be neither thanking nor hating on him.
(I wish he'd keep playing because he makes the Yankees worse as their everyday shortstop.)

Grape Ape

• Getbig V
  • SC è un asino
Re: Derek Jeter's farewell tour with gifts ...
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2014, 10:32:33 AM »
It's because Jeter's the odd player who is admired and respected throughout the league by players, managers, and fans, is a first ballot Hall of Famer,  spent his entire career with one team had many high profile successes and signature plays, and never had any real scandal.  Similar to Mariano Rivera, who got the same treatment.

Don't concern yourself about it too much.  You're a Toronto fan, so you won't ever have to worry about having a player like that.
Y

Nails

• Getbig V
  • https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jsi5VTzJpPw
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2014, 10:36:32 AM »
because the guy has tapped some of the finest asses in hollywood , they are just showing him some respect

Grape Ape

• Getbig V
  • SC è un asino
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2014, 10:40:36 AM »
because the guy has tapped some of the finest asses in hollywood , they are just showing him some respect

Yeah, forgot about this.....Alba, Biel, Brewster, Carey (prime), Lima, Minka Kelley, Dutta (Miss Universe), Guerra, Minilo, etc...

http://thestir.cafemom.com/sports/168293/14_women_derek_jeter_dated/
Y

tom joad

• Getbig V
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2014, 10:40:46 AM »
It's because Jeter's the odd player who is admired and respected throughout the league by players, managers, and fans, is a first ballot Hall of Famer,  spent his entire career with one team had many high profile successes and signature plays, and never had any real scandal.  Similar to Mariano Rivera, who got the same treatment.

Don't concern yourself about it too much.  You're a Toronto fan, so you won't ever have to worry about having a player like that.

why have the only baseball players in the history of the sport to have a farewell tour with GIFTS (lol) been Rivera, Jeter and Chipper Jones?

Jeter would've just stepped away from the game without much fanfare if he'd played in say K.C. or Pittsburgh.

Grape Ape

• Getbig V
  • SC è un asino
« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2014, 10:43:11 AM »
why have the only baseball players in the history of the sport to have a farewell tour with GIFTS (lol) been Rivera, Jeter and Chipper Jones?

Jeter would've just stepped away from the game without much fanfare if he'd played in say K.C. or Pittsburgh.

Who cares, he didn't play for them, he played for the most storied team in sports history, and added multiple chapters of his own.  As for why, ask the other fucking teams - they're the ones doing it on their own.

He is one the top 1-2 shortstops ever, the face of MLB, multiple WS winner, and was a key part of the greatest baseball dynasty of the modern era.  He's baseball's Jordan.
Y

Red Hook

• Getbig V
« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2014, 10:46:25 AM »
Why is every team giving a gift to Derek Jeter during his last game in their stadium?  :-\
Is it because Jeter (as far as the public knows) hasn't been linked to PEDs during his career?
I'll be having a few words with Jeter this weekend in Toronto and i'll be neither thanking nor hating on him.
(I wish he'd keep playing because he makes the Yankees worse as their everyday shortstop.)

grapefruit breath, your head has been under the white towel too long

generally when an all time great retires from a sport most fans show their appreciation.  Like him or not he is #6 on the all time hits list that goes for baseball and chicks

Larkin is a hall of famer, Jeter is an all time great with 5 world series rings.
I

calfzilla

• Getbig V
  • YUMAN FILTH!
« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2014, 10:51:23 AM »

Watch you tone when mentioning Chipper Jones  >:(

tom joad

• Getbig V
« Reply #8 on: August 29, 2014, 10:58:21 AM »
grapefruit breath, your head has been under the white towel too long

generally when an all time great retires from a sport most fans show their appreciation.  Like him or not he is #6 on the all time hits list that goes for baseball and chicks

Larkin is a hall of famer, Jeter is an all time great with 5 world series rings.

"Fans showing their appreciation" for the all time greats is cool.
Opposing teams giving gifts in pre-game ceremonies is kinda cheesy.

funk51

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #9 on: August 29, 2014, 12:34:53 PM »
because he's a guy who brought honor to the game played with dignity and class something very few do nowadays, see a-fraud, canseco, sammy sosa , barry bonds, mark mcqwire, manny ramirez the giambino and on and on.
F

tom joad

• Getbig V
« Reply #10 on: August 29, 2014, 01:12:29 PM »
because he's a guy who brought honor to the game played with dignity and class something very few do nowadays, see a-fraud, canseco, sammy sosa , barry bonds, mark mcqwire, manny ramirez the giambino and on and on.

sounds like you're pretty much making the PED-free case for "bringing honor to the game" ...

many other Hall of Famers played the game the right way without a big sideshow about it.

King Shizzo

• Getbig V
  • Ron crowned me King because I always deliver.
« Reply #11 on: August 29, 2014, 01:17:10 PM »

It was a smart move to have this thread on the G&O. The sports board is dead, and GrapeApe is a tyrant as a mod.

Have an opposing view of the Yankees? He deletes it. Call Jeter overrated? He deletes it.

The opitome of a biased mod.

funk51

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #12 on: August 29, 2014, 01:21:56 PM »
It was a smart move to have this thread on the G&O. The sports board is dead, and GrapeApe is a tyrant as a mod.

Have an opposing view of the Yankees? He deletes it. Call Jeter overrated? He deletes it.

such are the perks of moderation..... ;D ;D ;D ;D
F

Grape Ape

• Getbig V
  • SC è un asino
« Reply #13 on: August 29, 2014, 01:29:33 PM »

This is your "changed man" shitzo, everyone.
Y

Grape Ape

• Getbig V
  • SC è un asino
« Reply #14 on: August 29, 2014, 01:32:01 PM »
many other Hall of Famers played the game the right way without a big sideshow about it.

Once again, teams are choosing to do this on their own.

He's not just "any hall of famer".  Possibly the best all time at his position, key part in reviving the greatest dynasty in sports history, THE FACE OF MLB, no scandals, 5 WS rings, huge defining moments on the biggest stage, multi all star, all star MVP, etc.......once again, he's the Jordan of baseball.
Y

King Shizzo

• Getbig V
« Reply #15 on: August 29, 2014, 01:32:39 PM »
This is your "changed man" shitzo, everyone.
It's called the truth. Unfortunately  :-\

Ron must have been drunk, playing "pin the mod to a forum" one day.

I don't see how some of you ever made the cut.

Grape Ape

• Getbig V
  • SC è un asino
« Reply #16 on: August 29, 2014, 01:35:23 PM »
It's called the truth. Unfortunately  :-\

Ron must have been drunk, playing "pin the mod to a forum" one day.

I don't see how some of you ever made the cut.

You and the truth is hilarious, since you have zero credibility in that department, as you've been nothing but a proven liar throughout your entire history here.

Also, getting insulted by someone widely considered to be the worst poster in the history of the board only raises internet rankings.

You are changed indeed.  ::)

But, continue derailing another thread.
Y

King Shizzo

• Getbig V
« Reply #17 on: August 29, 2014, 01:41:06 PM »
You and the truth is hilarious, since you have zero credibility in that department, as you've been nothing but a proven liar throughout your entire history here.

Also, getting insulted by someone widely considered to be the worst poster in the history of the board only raises internet rankings.

You are changed indeed.  ::)

But, continue derailing another thread.
Meltdown.

I would rather talk about sports (on topic) without my shit getting deleted.

Can you manage that? Asshole. The all seeing eye is watching you  ;)

Var City

• Getbig IV
  • Perennially Man-Diming
« Reply #18 on: August 29, 2014, 01:44:07 PM »
Meltdown.

Can you manage that? Asshole. The all seeing eye is watching you  ;)

Meltdown

Stan Diego

• Getbig III
  • A whales vagina
« Reply #19 on: August 29, 2014, 01:47:42 PM »
Cal Ripken Jr. & Tony Gwynn both had farewell tours with gifts too. Playing your entire career with 1 team & announcing it's your final year have a lot to do with it. Ken Griffey Jr. played for multiple teams & retired in the middle of the season. Remember "nap gate"? While a great player he didn't end his career the right way, if you want to get clocks, leather jackets, guitars & motorcycles...

Grape Ape

• Getbig V
  • SC è un asino
« Reply #20 on: August 29, 2014, 01:48:15 PM »
Meltdown.

Can you manage that? Asshole. The all seeing eye is watching you  ;)

The "changed man" speaks again folks, once again showing how he is the lowest of the low here, and why nobody believes anything he says.

You can post about sports if you do not bait, or post about posting.  If you cannot abide, you will now have three boards here that you're banned on.

Good work on trying to derail yet another thread, changey.

Y

King Shizzo

• Getbig V
« Reply #21 on: August 29, 2014, 01:57:57 PM »
The "changed man" speaks again folks, once again showing how he is the lowest of the low here, and why nobody believes anything he says.

You can post about sports if you do not bait, or post about posting.  If you cannot abide, you will now have three boards here that you're banned on.

Good work on trying to derail yet another thread, changey.

Tell me that I am lying....... This all started when you deleted my "on topic" post about the Yankees a few days ago.

It was on topic. It was my opinion on said topic. You just did not like it.

Swear on your mother's grave that I am a liar.

tom joad

• Getbig V
« Reply #22 on: August 29, 2014, 01:58:45 PM »

yeah, i'm sure the Commissioner's Office has nothing to do with it ...
once one team does it, they all have to fall in line.

He's not just "any hall of famer".  Possibly the best all time at his position, key part in reviving the greatest dynasty in sports history, THE FACE OF MLB, no scandals, 5 WS rings, huge defining moments on the biggest stage, multi all star, all star MVP, etc.......once again, he's the Jordan of baseball.

"the best all time at his position?" ... Jeter could flat out hit! ... but shortstop is the most important defensive position behind the pitcher and every unbiased observer (except blinded Yankees fans) agree that Jeter has been sub-par defensively throughout his career ... LOL at the gold gloves!

ChopperRider

• Getbig V
  • Ugly, bald Shitso scalp for sale = $1
« Reply #23 on: August 29, 2014, 02:00:10 PM »

He's not just "any hall of famer".  Possibly the best all time at his position, key part in reviving the greatest dynasty in sports history, THE FACE OF MLB, no scandals, 5 WS rings, huge defining moments on the biggest stage, multi all star, all star MVP, etc.......once again, he's the Jordan of baseball.

No......Derek Jeter is NOT the Michael Jordan of baseball.

No.

tom joad

• Getbig V
« Reply #24 on: August 29, 2014, 02:03:57 PM »
Cal Ripken Jr. & Tony Gwynn both had farewell tours with gifts too. Playing your entire career with 1 team & announcing it's your final year have a lot to do with it. Ken Griffey Jr. played for multiple teams & retired in the middle of the season. Remember "nap gate"? While a great player he didn't end his career the right way, if you want to get clocks, leather jackets, guitars & motorcycles...

Cal Ripken went out in a classy way ... didn't announce he was going until halfway thru his final season ... and then when he made his final stops, some teams made a charitable donation to his Dad's Foundation.