Author Topic: Derek Jeter's farewell tour with gifts ...  (Read 23452 times)

Grape Ape

• Getbig V
  • SC è un asino
Re: Derek Jeter's farewell tour with gifts ...
« Reply #25 on: August 29, 2014, 02:12:17 PM »
yeah, i'm sure the Commissioner's Office has nothing to do with it ...
once one team does it, they all have to fall in line.

"the best all time at his position?" ... Jeter could flat out hit! ... but shortstop is the most important defensive position behind the pitcher and every unbiased observer (except blinded Yankees fans) agree that Jeter has been sub-par defensively throughout his career ... LOL at the gold gloves!

Not only defense, but we should also include baserunning, no?  I assume you're a big fan of fWAR then, since it incorporates both UZR / UBR AND uSB.......those measures have Jeter all the way down to.....third all time.  But I'm sure all the measurements on Honus Wagner were SPOT ON.  ::)

So, yeah, he is one of the top all time at his position, plus all the other stuff mentioned.
Y

Grape Ape

• Getbig V
  • SC è un asino
« Reply #26 on: August 29, 2014, 02:14:43 PM »
No......Derek Jeter is NOT the Michael Jordan of baseball.

No.

You're right - Jeter never had to pretend to leave the game to cover anything up.
Y

King Shizzo

• Getbig V
  • Ron crowned me King because I always deliver.
« Reply #27 on: August 29, 2014, 02:16:46 PM »
You're right - Jeter never had to pretend to leave the game to cover anything up.
So by calling Jeter the "Michael Jordan" of baseball, are you insinuating that he is the best of all time?

Stan Diego

• Getbig III
  • A whales vagina
« Reply #28 on: August 29, 2014, 02:36:52 PM »
Cal Ripken went out in a classy way ... didn't announce he was going until halfway thru his final season ... and then when he made his final stops, some teams made a charitable donation to his Dad's Foundation.

Gwynn went out the same way, announced it mid-season. But once teams knew they still did the gift thing

"On June 28th, 2001, Tony Gwynn announced to the San Diego Padres and their fans that he will retire at the end of the season. Why did he wait until halfway through the season to announce it? He didn’t want all the “fanfare” of a farewell tour. What we are seeing with and Derek Jeter is exactly what Gwynn didn’t want. That is the man he was. He was humble and it would have made him uncomfortable. He battled injuries throughout the 2001 season. He only appeared in 71 games in his final season, hitting .324 in 102 at-bats. He was held to pinch-hit duty much of the year." -MLB.com

Jeter was a great player, but no-where near the best. Not even at his position. But he LOVED the spotlight, & he loves the attention, and the farewell tour

Grape Ape

• Getbig V
  • SC è un asino
« Reply #29 on: August 29, 2014, 02:37:13 PM »
So by calling Jeter the "Michael Jordan" of baseball, are you insinuating that he is the best of all time?

No.  It's in the context of being one of the most popular players ever, the current face of the sport, the respect, the fame, the aura......

Jeter is nowhere near Jordan in terms of "overall best ever" in terms in respective sports.
Y

Grape Ape

• Getbig V
  • SC è un asino
« Reply #30 on: August 29, 2014, 02:38:30 PM »
Gwynn went out the same way, announced it mid-season. But once teams knew they still did the gift thing

"On June 28th, 2001, Tony Gwynn announced to the San Diego Padres and their fans that he will retire at the end of the season. Why did he wait until halfway through the season to announce it? He didn’t want all the “fanfare” of a farewell tour. What we are seeing with and Derek Jeter is exactly what Gwynn didn’t want. That is the man he was. He was humble and it would have made him uncomfortable. He battled injuries throughout the 2001 season. He only appeared in 71 games in his final season, hitting .324 in 102 at-bats. He was held to pinch-hit duty much of the year." -MLB.com

Jeter was a great player, but no-where near the best. Not even at his position. But he LOVED the spotlight, & he loves the attention, and the farewell tour

Agree on Gwynn, but saying Jeter is nowhere near the best at his position isn't true.  Certain metrics, like fWAR above, which incorporates defense and baserunning has him 3rd, while many other metrics have him top ten.  That's near.
Y

The Abdominal Snoman

• Getbig V
  • DON'T BE A TRAITOR TO YOUR TRIBE
« Reply #31 on: August 29, 2014, 02:42:18 PM »
Jeter has hired a lot of top notch "beards" over the years. He's smart and makes them all sign waivers.

King Shizzo

• Getbig V
« Reply #32 on: August 29, 2014, 02:45:41 PM »
No.  It's in the context of being one of the most popular players ever, the current face of the sport, the respect, the fame, the aura......

Jeter is nowhere near Jordan in terms of "overall best ever" in terms in respective sports.
So stop calling him the Michael Jordan of baseball.
It makes no sense.

He is not even in the top 5 of all time Yankees.

Grape Ape

• Getbig V
  • SC è un asino
« Reply #33 on: August 29, 2014, 03:16:23 PM »
So stop calling him the Michael Jordan of baseball.
It makes no sense.

He is not even in the top 5 of all time Yankees.

I already explained why it does.  Unless you counter it, then there's no need to discuss.

In terms of overall context, Jeter is most definitely a top 5 Yankee.  Arguably the most popular Yankee ever.
Y

King Shizzo

• Getbig V
« Reply #34 on: August 29, 2014, 03:29:51 PM »
I already explained why it does.  Unless you counter it, then there's no need to discuss.

In terms of overall context, Jeter is most definitely a top 5 Yankee.  Arguably the most popular Yankee ever.
Not even close. Mariano contributed more than Jeter has.

Ruth
Gehrig
Dimaggio
Mantle
Berra
Jackson
Mattingly
Rivera
Torre
Steinbrenner

All more valuable Yankees than Jeter.

The players voted Jeter the most overrated player in baseball one year.

What is he...... A lifetime .310 hitter that averages 13 homers and 46 RBI's?

Sure he had a couple of clutch plays in big games, but any starter will put up decent total numbers in a 20 year career.

Jeter was/ in the right place at the right time.

Grape Ape

• Getbig V
  • SC è un asino
« Reply #35 on: August 29, 2014, 04:22:18 PM »
Not even close. Mariano contributed more than Jeter has.

Ruth
Gehrig
Dimaggio
Mantle
Berra
Jackson
Mattingly
Rivera
Torre
Steinbrenner

All more valuable Yankees than Jeter.

The players voted Jeter the most overrated player in baseball one year.

What is he...... A lifetime .310 hitter that averages 13 homers and 46 RBI's?

Sure he had a couple of clutch plays in big games, but any starter will put up decent total numbers in a 20 year career.

Jeter was/ in the right place at the right time.

Jeter's top five in WAR all time Yankees, only trailing Ruth/Mantle/Dimaggio and Gehrig, and his popularity within the fan base and MLB is second to none.

He was also key in the rebirth of the dynasty.
Y

King Shizzo

• Getbig V
« Reply #36 on: August 29, 2014, 06:40:07 PM »
Jeter's top five in WAR all time Yankees, only trailing Ruth/Mantle/Dimaggio and Gehrig, and his popularity within the fan base and MLB is second to none.

He was also key in the rebirth of the dynasty.
Thats exactly why he is out of my top 5.

Those 4 you mentioned and Mariano Rivera.

Besides, the oldschool Yanks would laugh at WAR.

Thats a cover for: you don't put up big numbers, so lets try a moneyball spin on it.

13 homers is 13 homers. 48 RBIs is 48 RBIs.

He was a slightly above average defensive shortstop in his prime.

He played for 20 years and did things the right way.

That is Derek Jeter.

Grape Ape

• Getbig V
  • SC è un asino
« Reply #37 on: August 29, 2014, 06:48:37 PM »
Thats exactly why he is out of my top 5.

Those 4 you mentioned and Mariano Rivera.

Besides, the oldschool Yanks would laugh at WAR.

Thats a cover for: you don't put up big numbers, so lets try a moneyball spin on it.

13 homers is 13 homers. 48 RBIs is 48 RBIs.

He was a slightly above average defensive shortstop in his prime.

He played for 20 years and did things the right way.

That is Derek Jeter.

Using RBI for your "moneyball" analysis for the loss.  Try again dipshit.

And prime years consisting of 153 OPS+ and .989 OPS are not the bullshit #'s you pulled out of your ass.

You're wrong again, but not worth discussing anything with when drunk and in troll mode, as you're completely transparent again.  Enjoy the booze and getting owned in the other threads.

Y

ChopperRider

• Getbig V
  • Ugly, bald Shitso scalp for sale = $1
« Reply #38 on: August 29, 2014, 06:50:13 PM »

What year was Jeter's father murdered?

Jordan leaving basketball never hurt his legacy. He was the best athlete on the planet for some time, he is arguably the best basketball player of all-time.

Jeter's isn't in the top-ten in either category.

King Shizzo

• Getbig V
« Reply #39 on: August 29, 2014, 06:53:06 PM »
Using RBI for your "moneyball" analysis for the loss.  Try again dipshit.

And prime years consisting of 153 OPS+ and .989 OPS are not the bullshit #'s you pulled out of your ass.

You're wrong again, but not worth discussing anything with when drunk and in troll mode, as you're completely transparent again.  Enjoy the booze and getting owned in the other threads.

Do you see this?  He gets mad and says I am drunk and in "troll mode again".

I am just having a friendly sports debate.

You need to work on that.

Grape Ape

• Getbig V
  • SC è un asino
« Reply #40 on: August 29, 2014, 06:57:03 PM »

Jordan leaving basketball never hurt his legacy. He was the best athlete on the planet for some time, he is arguably the best basketball player of all-time.

Except I wasn't saying that he was.

I explained the analogy in the fact that he was an incredible player on a dynasty team, well respected by other teams and fans, had the fame and superstar "aura" and that he's been the face of the sport for a good amount of time.  All those are on par with Jordan.

I never claimed he was the best ever at the sport like MJ.  Nobody's made that argument.
Y

Wolfox

• Getbig V
« Reply #41 on: August 29, 2014, 06:57:14 PM »
Tell me that I am lying....... This all started when you deleted my "on topic" post about the Yankees a few days ago.

It was on topic. It was my opinion on said topic. You just did not like it.

Swear on your mother's grave that I am a liar.

A

Wolfox

• Getbig V
« Reply #42 on: August 29, 2014, 06:59:19 PM »

Gotta agree.
A

King Shizzo

• Getbig V
« Reply #43 on: August 29, 2014, 07:06:06 PM »
My dad is a lifelong Yankees fan, and I tease him about Jeter all of the time. I tell him about the weak ass can of corn hits to the opposite field and the prancing he does around the field.

Even my dad puts him out of the top 5 ( I'll ask him again this weekend) but he loves him some Jeter.

Jeter is great for the sport. Solid, Hall of Fame player, and keeps his nose clean.

Hell, I am the same way about Tom Brady. Except Brady actually puts up top 5 QB stats  :o

My guy can arguably be considered the best qb of all time.

Grape Ape

• Getbig V
  • SC è un asino
« Reply #44 on: August 29, 2014, 07:15:13 PM »
My dad is a lifelong Yankees fan, and I tease him about Jeter all of the time. I tell him about the weak ass can of corn hits to the opposite field and the prancing he does around the field.

Even my dad puts him out of the top 5 ( I'll ask him again this weekend) but he loves him some Jeter.

Jeter is great for the sport. Solid, Hall of Fame player, and keeps his nose clean.

Hell, I am the same way about Tom Brady. Except Brady actually puts up top 5 QB stats  :o

My guy can arguably be considered the best qb of all time.

Jeter's never been my favorite Yankee at any point in his career, save maybe this one because nobody's left.  And, as expected, he stinks this year.   But I can't discount the numbers,  the popularity, and his knack for the prime time play.  He's actually underrated, numbers wise. 

He will be considered one of the most popular Yankees ever once it's done, if not THE most.  He's a Yankee legend now, and it's only going to grow.

And he was able to win a title late in his career, and win others without any scandal tied to it.  Unlike Brady.
Y

King Shizzo

• Getbig V
« Reply #45 on: August 29, 2014, 07:23:29 PM »
Jeter's never been my favorite Yankee at any point in his career, save maybe this one because nobody's left.  And, as expected, he stinks this year.   But I can't discount the numbers,  the popularity, and his knack for the prime time play. He's actually underrated, numbers wise.

Are you high? He got 3,000 hits. He also played for 20 years. He ain't no Ichiro.

He will be considered one of the most popular Yankees ever once it's done, if not THE most.  He's a Yankee legend now, and it's only going to grow.

Babe Ruth will always be the face of the Yankees.

And he was able to win a title late in his career, and win others without any scandal tied to it.  Unlike Brady.

Don't open that can of worms. You can't possibly win that fight.

Grape Ape

• Getbig V
  • SC è un asino
« Reply #46 on: August 29, 2014, 07:35:01 PM »
Nice quoting.   Jeter is underrated for his numbers, but you wouldn't understand, so I'll drop it.

But as for the Pats, yes I can win that one.  It's easy if you stick to the facts.
Y

King Shizzo

• Getbig V
« Reply #47 on: August 29, 2014, 07:38:22 PM »
Nice quoting.   Jeter is underrated for his numbers, but you wouldn't understand, so I'll drop it.

But as for the Pats, yes I can win that one.  It's easy if you stick to the facts.
Here are the facts for the Patriots.

Brady: One of the best Qb's of all time.

Belichick: One of the best coaches of all time.

2001-2004 Patriots: Dynasty

2004 on.......The model of a winner. In the hunt every single year. With 2 more superbowl appearances sprinkled in.

Grape Ape

• Getbig V
  • SC è un asino
« Reply #48 on: August 29, 2014, 07:42:51 PM »
Here are the facts for the Patriots.

Brady: One of the best Qb's of all time.

Belichick: One of the best coaches of all time.

2001-2004 Patriots: Dynasty

2004 on.......The model of a winner. In the hunt every single year. With 2 more superbowl appearances sprinkled in.

Agreed on Brady / Belicheat and that they had a dynasty 10 years ago.

Here's the other facts:

Was busted for videotaping opposing teams' walkthroughs and had their legendary coach fined 500k and draft picks.

Won all their Super Bowls by less than a TD, possibly the difference of knowing the other teams' first 20-25 plays.

Have never won a Super Bowl since.

Haven't won a Super Bowl in a decade.

Play in a continuously horrid division which hands them a playoff appearance every year (not their fault).

QB wears Uggs.
Y

King Shizzo

• Getbig V
« Reply #49 on: August 29, 2014, 07:45:47 PM »
Agreed on Brady / Belicheat and that they had a dynasty 10 years ago.

Here's the other facts:

Was busted for videotaping opposing teams' walkthroughs and had their legendary coach fined 500k and draft picks.

Won all their Super Bowls by less than a TD, possibly the difference of knowing the other teams' first 20-25 plays.

Have never won a Super Bowl since.

Haven't won a Super Bowl in a decade.

Play in a continuously horrid division which hands them a playoff appearance every year (not their fault).

QB wears Uggs.
Manning may lose his starting job this year. The Giants will probably be horrible again.

The Patriots win 75% of their games. The real America's Team.