Author Topic: Dow Crash Coming To Your 401k  (Read 225229 times)

Neurotoxin

• Getbig IV
Re: Dow Crash Coming To Your 401k (2018-2020)
« Reply #1050 on: March 18, 2020, 03:02:15 PM »

Once #Coronavirus spreads into NYC it will ultimately end up on The Floor @ NYSE

Floor Traders are extremely nervous

Contingency plans underway to keep NYSE running (electronically only)

-NT

https://www.zerohedge.com/markets/nyse-kicks-out-humans-moving-temporarily-fully-electronic-trading

Vacation time?

Another coincidence?

-NT

Thin Lizzy

• Getbig V
  • It’s all a fraud
« Reply #1051 on: March 18, 2020, 03:09:21 PM »
Oil is $20 a barrel. Un fucking believable. It was at 60 just a month ago.

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • Doesnt lie about lifting.

Thin Lizzy

• Getbig V
  • It’s all a fraud
Re: Corona virus & Stock Market crash of 2020
« Reply #1053 on: March 18, 2020, 04:09:31 PM »

https://www.investors.com/market-trend/stock-market-today/dow-jones-plunges-as-much-as-2300-points-trump-rally-round-trips/

Dow DOWN -1,300+ today

Best Market ever?

New Bentley ordered?

Should I upgrade my personal Jet?

Floor traders talking Dow 15,000?

Dow 15k = 60% Crash

Having too much fun!

-NT

No more floor traders. I’ll bet it never reopens. It’s been a sham for many years. All trading is already done electronically. It’s not like these guys are still yelling bids across the room.They’ll probably make it into a museum.

New York Stock Exchange closes trading floor, will operate electronically

https://www.nbcnews.com/business/markets/new-york-stock-exchange-closes-trading-floor-will-operate-electronically-n1162696

Irongrip400

• Getbig V
  • Pan Germanism, Pax Britannica
« Reply #1054 on: March 18, 2020, 07:25:52 PM »
It’ll certainly be a minute before I look again.  ;D

Coach is Back!

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • It’s All Bullshit
« Reply #1055 on: March 18, 2020, 09:08:12 PM »

https://www.zerohedge.com/markets/nyse-kicks-out-humans-moving-temporarily-fully-electronic-trading

Vacation time?

Another coincidence?

-NT

You keep posting bullshit while avoiding the debate because you know you’ll get your ass handed to you. You’re like an ankle biter, post, run and don’t engage

AbrahamG

• Getbig V
  • Team Pfizer
« Reply #1056 on: March 18, 2020, 10:09:06 PM »
I'm continuing to contribute 15% of my earnings to my 401K.  Tell me why I am right or wrong for doing this?

Montague

• Getbig V
  • The black degelation does not know this nig - V.G.
« Reply #1057 on: March 19, 2020, 02:23:26 AM »
I'm continuing to contribute 15% of my earnings to my 401K.  Tell me why I am right or wrong for doing this?

I think right or wrong is an opinion, and those vary with good (and stupid) reasons.

One way to look at it is to consider that, although returns suck right now, your work contribution is continuing to buy market shares at a greatly reduced rate from the pre-pandemic baseline.
Once things stabilize and start trending back towards “normalcy,” you will be making gains on a greater number of shares.

Some “experts” claim that this either will or won’t actually put you ahead of where you’d been had the pandemic’s effect never occurred, but that depends on too many other variables to make a blanket prediction.

I think a sensible strategy is to monitor the trends in your 401’s performance and do what you’re comfortable with and can afford.
Too many people overreact out of greed or panic, and it comes back to bite them in the ass in a big way.

IroNat

• Getbig V
  • "Woke is a cult." -- Joe Rogan
« Reply #1058 on: March 19, 2020, 03:29:10 AM »
This "black swan" event is the investment opportunity of a lifetime.

I'm hoping for the P/E of the S&P to drop to 15 before I make a move.  As of yesterday it was 18.

Getting close.

Then I'm dumping bonds and piling into a low cost, US equity index fund.

https://www.multpl.com/s-p-500-pe-ratio

Neurotoxin

• Getbig IV
« Reply #1059 on: March 19, 2020, 04:49:57 AM »

Vacation time?

Another coincidence?

-NT

Temporary hiatus from NYSE?

GB Politics board a graveyard w/o NT?

Due to POPULAR DEMAND, NT will consider posting while on vacation

-NT

loco

• Getbig V
  • loco like a fox
« Reply #1060 on: March 19, 2020, 05:15:44 AM »
I'm continuing to contribute 15% of my earnings to my 401K.  Tell me why I am right or wrong for doing this?

You are right, smart man.  Hopefully the bulk of your contributions are going into an S&P 500 Index fund.  All 401K programs have at least one.

And hopefully you already have a year worth of expenses stashed in a savings account too.

Irongrip400

• Getbig V
  • Pan Germanism, Pax Britannica
« Reply #1061 on: March 19, 2020, 09:09:00 AM »

I’m doing the same, actually upped my contribution a bit.

Man, in another life, you and me would probably be beer drinking buddies, running trains on Nancy Pelosi!  :D

loco

• Getbig V
  • loco like a fox
« Reply #1062 on: March 19, 2020, 12:22:25 PM »
El Profeta approved:

Neurotoxin

• Getbig IV
« Reply #1063 on: March 19, 2020, 02:40:41 PM »

Temporary hiatus from NYSE?

GB Politics board a graveyard w/o NT?

Due to POPULAR DEMAND, NT will consider posting while on vacation

-NT

$SPX holding Dec 2018 support @ 2346

Oil prices favorable?

Friday rally coming?

-NT

Thin Lizzy

• Getbig V
  • It’s all a fraud
« Reply #1064 on: March 19, 2020, 04:20:29 PM »
I'm continuing to contribute 15% of my earnings to my 401K.  Tell me why I am right or wrong for doing this?

“The investor is like a chicken unaware he is about to become a broiler. Awareness usually results from an accumulation of errors. Not, however, in the case of the investor. Decade after decade, he continues to attribute his losses either to unpredictable economic circumstances or to his own incompetence. Yet in reality the investors losses are caused by the infinitely elaborated controls exerted over the investment process by the big money insiders of the Stock exchange. The scandal of the age is that mass education turns investors into puppets, the media fasten the strings and the exchange then hangs them.”

Richard Ney

Could one of those controls be to use a health scare as cover for a market crash?🤔

Thin Lizzy

• Getbig V
  • It’s all a fraud
« Reply #1065 on: March 19, 2020, 04:27:25 PM »
$SPX holding Dec 2018 support @ 2346

Oil prices favorable?

Friday rally coming?

-NT

Not a fan of buying double bottoms. They get broken more often then they hold. They might hold for a short time and than get broken on the triple bottom or the fourth one.

AbrahamG

• Getbig V
  • Team Pfizer
« Reply #1066 on: March 19, 2020, 05:24:40 PM »

Man, in another life, you and me would probably be beer drinking buddies, running trains on Nancy Pelosi!  :D

She has daughters!  Not sure if they have her luscious tits though!  :)

chaos

• Getbig V
  • Ron "There is no freedom of speech here" Avidan
« Reply #1067 on: March 19, 2020, 06:47:53 PM »

Abraham G is not nearly as big of a dick in real life, real nice guy. So I've heard. ;)
Liar!!!!Filt!!!!

AbrahamG

• Getbig V
  • Team Pfizer
« Reply #1068 on: March 19, 2020, 08:18:43 PM »
Abraham G is not nearly as big of a dick in real life, real nice guy. So I've heard. ;)

That's very nice of you to say (in a back handed as fuck complimentary sort of way).  Funny, I've heard the same about you.

;D

chaos

• Getbig V
  • Ron "There is no freedom of speech here" Avidan
« Reply #1069 on: March 19, 2020, 09:21:50 PM »
 ;D
Liar!!!!Filt!!!!

SOMEPARTS

• Getbig V
« Reply #1070 on: March 19, 2020, 11:08:34 PM »
Not a fan of buying double bottoms. They get broken more often then they hold. They might hold for a short time and than get broken on the triple bottom or the fourth one.

How about endless bottoms? They are closing trading so what does that tell you? The bad news as far as the real cases and sickness on TV has yet to come and people don't have the stomach for it.

Market is just as fake now as it was before this happened. Deflation next 6 months and then inflation from the dollar printing when things start getting back to normal. Banks and corps already got their trillions....debt slaves get a couple grand in helicopter money. Middle class that pays all the taxes gets dick.

loco

• Getbig V
  • loco like a fox
« Reply #1071 on: March 20, 2020, 02:49:18 AM »

“The investor is like a chicken unaware he is about to become a broiler. Awareness usually results from an accumulation of errors. Not, however, in the case of the investor. Decade after decade, he continues to attribute his losses either to unpredictable economic circumstances or to his own incompetence. Yet in reality the investors losses are caused by the infinitely elaborated controls exerted over the investment process by the big money insiders of the Stock exchange. The scandal of the age is that mass education turns investors into puppets, the media fasten the strings and the exchange then hangs them.”

Richard Ney

Could one of those controls be to use a health scare as cover for a market crash?🤔

The "investor" in this quote sounds like a day trader or market timing fool like Neuro-mons, not at all like a wise, long term, index fund investor.

Thin Lizzy

• Getbig V
  • It’s all a fraud
« Reply #1072 on: March 20, 2020, 03:15:47 AM »
The "investor" in this quote sounds like a day trader or market timing fool like Neuro-mons, not at all like a wise, long term, index fund investor.

Index funds protect you against individual stock risk. They do nothing to protect you from overall market risk. In a crash, all stocks go down just some more than others. Here’s a radical idea. How about admitting that I pointed out a flaw in your investment strategy two years ago and it’s playing itself out now.

At the end of the day there’s no perfect strategy. They all have drawbacks. The drawback of the one I recommend is that you can get whipsawed. The problem with yours is that if the market crashes you crash with it.

We’re actually not as far apart as you might think. If you could tell me that markets would never go down more than 20% going forward, I’d be perfectly content to stay in forever, but you can’t.

loco

• Getbig V
  • loco like a fox
« Reply #1073 on: March 20, 2020, 04:36:59 AM »
Index funds protect you against individual stock risk. They do nothing to protect you from overall market risk. In a crash, all stocks go down just some more than others. Here’s a radical idea. How about admitting that I pointed out a flaw in your investment strategy two years ago and it’s playing itself out now.

We’re actually not as far apart as you might think. If you could tell me that markets would never go down more than 20% going forward, I’d be perfectly content to stay in forever, but you can’t.

LOL...WTF?  

It's not my investment strategy.  Nobody said it's perfect, and nobody said it's a strategy for everyone.  Name one "perfect" or "flawless" investment or investment strategy. Even stashing cash in your mattress or putting all of your money in a savings account is risky.

All investments and all investment strategies are risky, they just have varying levels of risk.  Low risk = low reward, while high risk = high reward.  There are spots in between those two as well.

If I could tell you what the market would or wouldn't do, I'd be a trillionaire.  What I can tell you is that the stock market could go down 90%, and if it did I'd still stay the course, as I've done in past crashes and past recessions, which are actually great buying opportunities for me.  This isn't the time to get out.  This is the time to hold and buy more.

BTW, index funds also protect you from high, unnecessary fees that instead get reinvested.  With compounding, that could mean hundreds of thousands of dollar overtime.  Index funds also protect you from fund overlap, and also protect you from foolish fund managers that historically underperform index funds over the long run.

I noticed you didn't mention bonds and emergency funds when bringing up "my" strategy.  The strategy I have chosen, which isn't mine, is one that calls for:

1. Paying off consumer debt.
2. Building an emergency fund equal to a year worth of expenses in a high yield savings account and CDs.
3. Investing as early, as often, and as much as possible, rain or shine, in a three fund portfolio:
    a. A total US stock index fund
    b. A total international stock index fund
    c. A total US bond index fund.

Choosing an asset allocation for these three, say 30.3% each, then rebalancing once per year regardless of what the market does to keep your chosen asset allocation.

This strategy has worked well for many people, for many decades.

Whatever investment strategy you've chosen, if you get out when the going gets tough, it just means you can't handle the level of risk you've chosen and you must go for a less risky and "safer" approach and you deserve the mediocre returns you are going to get in the end from that safer strategy.

Good luck to you!

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • Doesnt lie about lifting.
« Reply #1074 on: March 20, 2020, 07:43:47 AM »
Rethinking the Coronavirus Shutdown: No society can safeguard public health for long at the cost of its economic health.
Wall Street Journal ^ | March 19, 2020 | WSJ Editorial Board
Posted on 3/20/2020, 9:26:42 AM

Financial markets paused their slide Thursday, but no one should think this rolling economic calamity is over. If this government-ordered shutdown continues for much more than another week or two, the human cost of job losses and bankruptcies will exceed what most Americans imagine. This won’t be popular to read in some quarters, but federal and state officials need to start adjusting their anti-virus strategy now to avoid an economic recession that will dwarf the harm from 2008-2009.

The vast social-distancing project of the last 10 days or so has been necessary and has done much good. Warnings about large gatherings of more than 10 people and limiting access to nursing homes will save lives. The public has received a crucial education in hygiene and disease prevention, and even young people may get the message. With any luck, this behavior change will reduce the coronavirus spread enough that our hospitals won’t be overwhelmed with patients. Anthony Fauci, Scott Gottlieb and other disease experts are buying crucial time for government and private industry to marshal resources against the virus.

Yet the costs of this national shutdown are growing by the hour, and we don’t mean federal spending. We mean a tsunami of economic destruction that will cause tens of millions to lose their jobs as commerce and production simply cease. Many large companies can withstand a few weeks without revenue but that isn’t true of millions of small and mid-sized firms.

Even cash-rich businesses operate on a thin margin and can bleed through reserves in a month. First they will lay off employees and then out of necessity they will shut down. Another month like this week and the layoffs will be measured in millions of people.

(Excerpt) Read more at wsj.com ...