Author Topic: Bob Woodward exposes Obama's failed presidency and lies.  (Read 2807 times)

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • Doesnt lie about lifting.
Bob Woodward exposes Obama's failed presidency and lies.
« on: September 17, 2012, 05:17:21 AM »
Opinion: Columnists
New Woodward book shows how Obama made it worse

September 15, 2012 | 8:00 pm

Senior Editorial Writer
The Washington Examiner
E@conncarrollDConn on FB

WASHINGTON - SEPTEMBER 14: (AFP OUT) Bob Woodward, Assistant Managing Editor of the Washington Post and the author of "The War Within: A Secret White House History 2006-2008," speaks during a taping of "Meet the Press" at the NBC studios September 14, 2008 in Washington, DC. Sen. Woodward spoke on the handling of the war in Iraq by the Bush Administration. (Photo by Alex Wong/Getty Images for Meet the Press)

Bob Woodward knows a failed president when he sees one. The man who was instrumental in bringing down Richard Nixon has now covered eight presidents for the Washington Post while writing more than a dozen books about them.

Which is what makes the final verdict he renders on President Obama in his new book, "The Price of Politics," so damning. Woodward writes, "It is a fact that President Obama was handed a miserable, faltering economy and faced a recalcitrant Republican opposition. But presidents work their will -- or should work their will -- on the important matters of national business. ... Obama has not."

Over the course of almost 450 pages, Woodward depicts Obama as an arrogant, aloof and hyperpartisan president who manages to either alienate or disappoint everybody he needs to help govern Washington.

One of the first scenes Woodward recounts is a meeting at the White House where Obama invited House Republicans over to talk about the stimulus. After then-Minority Whip Eric Cantor distributed a five-point Republican stimulus plan that differed from Obama's tax plan, Obama told Cantor, "I can go it alone. ... Look at the polls. The polls are pretty good for me right now. Elections have consequences. And Eric, I won. So on that, I think I trump you."

Later, after the Democrats drafted a stimulus bill that contained zero Republican ideas, Obama Chief of Staff Rahm Emanuel put Obama's position on bipartisanship a bit more succinctly, "We have the votes. F--k 'em."

Obama's tone changed, of course, after the "shellacking" the American people gave him during the 2010 elections. But even when he knew he needed Republican votes to govern, Obama could not help but stereotype and lecture the other party. He confidently told his staff he could roll newly minted House Speaker John Boehner because, "He's a golf-playing, cigarette-smoking, country-club Republican who makes deals. He is very familiar to me."

Boehner did try -- very hard, in fact -- to make a deal with Obama on the debt limit. But it was amateur hour at the White House at every turn. At one point in the negotiations, Obama insisted on dragging every congressional leader to the White House for daily meetings until the crisis was solved. The veteran hill staffers thought this was a clear sign that "the president simply didn't understand how Congress works and didn't know how to negotiate."

"Boehner," Woodward writes, "hated going down to the White House to listen to what amounted to presidential lectures."

And congressional Republicans weren't the only ones disappointed in Obama's leadership. After Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid, D-Nev., and House Minority Leader Nancy Pelosi, D-Calif., became so disillusioned with Obama's handling of the crisis that they eventually cut their own deal with Boehner, Woodward writes that Obama had essentially been "voted off the island in his own house."

As a result of Obama's bumbling, Woodward concludes, "The mission of stabilizing and improving the economy is incomplete. First, the short-term federal fiscal problem has not been solved. Instead it has been pushed off to the future, leaving the United States facing what is now called the fiscal cliff. ... Second, the long-term problem of unsustainable entitlement spending on Medicare, Medicaid, and Social Security, highlighted by Republican House Budget Chairman Paul Ryan and familiar to all informed politicians and economists including the president ... has been left largely unaddressed."

"Americans are now left with a still struggling economy in the midst of a presidential election," Woodward writes. "It is a world of the status quo, only worse."

"The status quo, only worse." What a perfect description of the Obama presidency. It even fits on a bumper sticker.

Conn Carroll (ccarroll@washingtonexaminer.com) is a senior editorial writer for The Washington Examiner. Follow him on Twitter at @conncarroll.

Kazan

• Getbig V
  • Sic vis pacem, parabellum
Re: Bob Woodward exposes Obama's failed presidency and lies.
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2012, 06:22:45 AM »
Should be interesting to see the reaction to this
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • Doesnt lie about lifting.
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2012, 06:24:05 AM »
Should be interesting to see the reaction to this

Don't worry - the libs will attack Woodward and say he is lying. 

In the leftist bubble, its only Obama who ever tells the truth, everyone else is a liar and racist.   

Straw Man

• Getbig V
  • one dwells in nirvana
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2018, 05:58:07 PM »
Anyone know what Woodward has been up to these days?

I heard he might be writing a book about the Trump Whitehouse.

333 - have you heard anything about this

chaos

• Getbig V
  • Ron "There is no freedom of speech here" Avidan
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2018, 06:10:52 PM »
Anyone know what Woodward has been up to these days?

I heard he might be writing a book about the Trump Whitehouse.

333 - have you heard anything about this
Is that what I heard earlier today about Mattis saying he was full of shit and never said the things Woodward claimed? Or was that something else?

Mattis responded Tuesday: “The contemptuous words about the President attributed to me in Woodward’s book were never uttered by me or in my presence. While I generally enjoy reading fiction, this is a uniquely Washington brand of literature, and his anonymous sources do not lend credibility.”
He continued: “In serving in this administration, the idea that I would show contempt for the elected Commander-in-Chief president Trump, or tolerate disrespect to the office of the President from within our Department of Defense, is a product of someone’s rich imagination.”
Liar!!!!Filt!!!!

Straw Man

• Getbig V
  • one dwells in nirvana
« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2018, 06:39:16 PM »
Is that what I heard earlier today about Mattis saying he was full of shit and never said the things Woodward claimed? Or was that something else?

I have to say the alleged Mattis quote did surprise me however it certainly sounds accurate  

"the president had the understanding of a “fifth or sixth grader.”

I suspect Woodward has tapes of all of these interviews just like he has a tape of the recent phone call he had with Trump

this is not his first rodeo

Let's see if any of these people sue or demand retractions (or whatever would be done to retract an alleged quote from a book)

Coach is Back!

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • It’s All Bullshit
« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2018, 06:45:19 PM »
Another Trump book that’s backfired on the author 😂😂😂😂

Straw Man

• Getbig V
  • one dwells in nirvana
« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2018, 06:49:21 PM »

another one?

which one backfired ?

does the word backfire in Trumpistan mean selling millions of copies?

Agnostic007

• Getbig V
« Reply #8 on: September 04, 2018, 08:01:21 PM »

Of course.. within minutes of the books release, a Trumpster declares a backfire.  :)

On a side note, after hearing the conversation between Trump and Woodward, it's probably pretty accurate.

Agnostic007

• Getbig V
« Reply #9 on: September 04, 2018, 08:03:36 PM »
Straw, hats off. You checkmated the Trumpsters with digging up this thread and seeing the pro Woodward comments, especially Soul Searcher and his statement about the libs attacking Woodward and claiming he is lying... pretty masterful. The shoe is on the other foot and they are too dense to figure out they are doing exactly what they said the libs would do.

Coach is Back!

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • It’s All Bullshit
« Reply #10 on: September 04, 2018, 08:07:20 PM »
another one?

which one backfired ?

does the word backfire in Trumpistan mean selling millions of copies?

You’re severely uninformed. Michael Wolff’s Book to start. Hahahah

chaos

• Getbig V
« Reply #11 on: September 04, 2018, 08:14:54 PM »
Straw, hats off. You checkmated the Trumpsters with digging up this thread and seeing the pro Woodward comments, especially Soul Searcher and his statement about the libs attacking Woodward and claiming he is lying... pretty masterful. The shoe is on the other foot and they are too dense to figure out they are doing exactly what they said the libs would do.
Soooo when Americans change their minds and opinions about someone it's not ok, but demoncrats change their minds and it's perfectly acceptable and normal?
Liar!!!!Filt!!!!

Straw Man

• Getbig V
  • one dwells in nirvana
« Reply #12 on: September 04, 2018, 08:31:42 PM »

how did it "backfire"?

Agnostic007

• Getbig V
« Reply #13 on: September 04, 2018, 08:32:11 PM »
Soooo when Americans change their minds and opinions about someone it's not ok, but demoncrats change their minds and it's perfectly acceptable and normal?

apples and oranges. Bob writes a book about a Democrat, Republicans state how liberals will say he is lying..  Bob writes a book about a Republican and conservatives say he is lying. If this irony is lost on you.. I can't help you.

Straw Man

• Getbig V
  • one dwells in nirvana
« Reply #14 on: September 05, 2018, 09:45:15 AM »

looks like you're right
this was a pretty huge "backfire" assuming backfire means being a #1 bestseller and the fastest selling book the in publishers history.

The book was originally scheduled to go on sale on January 9, 2018, but the publisher, Henry Holt and Company, moved up the release date to January 5 due to "unprecedented demand."[17][18][8] An excerpt of the book was released by New York magazine on January 3, 2018.[19] The same day, other media outlets reported on further content of the book; for example, The Guardian reported "explosive" highlights, stating they were based on the full book.[9] That day, pre-orders of the book made it the number 1 bestseller in the country.[20] Fire and Fury debuted at number one on The New York Times Best Seller list,[21] and within a week had become the fastest selling book in the publisher's history, with over 700,000 orders shipped and 1.4 million orders placed.[22]
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fire_and_Fury

Coach is Back!

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • It’s All Bullshit
« Reply #15 on: September 05, 2018, 10:52:17 AM »
looks like you're right
this was a pretty huge "backfire" assuming backfire means being a #1 bestseller and the fastest selling book the in publishers history.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fire_and_Fury

Idiot

https://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2018/jan/5/michael-wolff-fire-and-fury-author-admits-not-all-/

I can provide a shit ton more if you'd like

Coach is Back!

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • It’s All Bullshit
« Reply #16 on: September 05, 2018, 10:55:02 AM »

Straw Man

• Getbig V
  • one dwells in nirvana
« Reply #17 on: September 05, 2018, 11:57:28 AM »
Idiot

https://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2018/jan/5/michael-wolff-fire-and-fury-author-admits-not-all-/

I can provide a shit ton more if you'd like

let me know when you have something that actually prove "backfire"

the book was a huge success

the publisher sold the film and television rights the same month it was published and they signed Wolff to write a sequel

apparently that's considered a disastrous "backfire" in Trumptardistan

Agnostic007

• Getbig V
« Reply #18 on: September 05, 2018, 03:35:03 PM »
While I don't know about a backfire, Wolff came across less than believable in many instances,  I don't think accuracy was in his toolkit. Woodward on the other hand, probably going to be a fairly accurate representation.

Straw Man

• Getbig V
  • one dwells in nirvana
« Reply #19 on: September 05, 2018, 03:43:14 PM »
While I don't know about a backfire, Wolff came across less than believable in many instances,  I don't think accuracy was in his toolkit. Woodward on the other hand, probably going to be a fairly accurate representation.

has anyone sued Wolff yet?

I'm sure he has tons of tapes

Regarding Woodward, he has hundreds of hours of tapes and most of the quotes in the book were corroborated by multiple witnesses

Also, everything I've seen from both books seems totally believable based on what we've all seen the POTUS say and do along with the people around him.

Primemuscle

• Getbig V
« Reply #20 on: September 05, 2018, 04:05:59 PM »
Don't worry - the libs will attack Woodward and say he is lying. 

In the leftist bubble, its only Obama who ever tells the truth, everyone else is a liar and racist.   

About what and who (which of the Presidents he's written about)?

Agnostic007

• Getbig V
« Reply #21 on: September 05, 2018, 05:46:08 PM »
has anyone sued Wolff yet?

I'm sure he has tons of tapes

Regarding Woodward, he has hundreds of hours of tapes and most of the quotes in the book were corroborated by multiple witnesses

Also, everything I've seen from both books seems totally believable based on what we've all seen the POTUS say and do along with the people around him.

I don't know that anyone has. I don't think the book backfired. Whatever that means. But I think Wolff was a terrible interviewee and made it clear to me that he wouldn't hesitate putting in questionable information and dressing it up as accurate or factual. Maybe it was, maybe it wasnt. He wasn't very credible in my view, although likely parts of the book were accurate and I'm sure he could probably back it up if need be. But of the two, Woodward is a much more credible person and it's likely what is in the book is pretty close to what he reports. But no one but CNN and MSNBC followers will care. As long as the 401K's are doing ok, he gets a pass

LurkerNoMore

• Getbig V
  • Dumb people think Trump is smart.
« Reply #22 on: September 05, 2018, 05:50:56 PM »
LOL.  Hypocrites thought Woodward was honest and credible until he exposed Trump.  Typical Republicans.

chaos

• Getbig V
« Reply #23 on: September 05, 2018, 06:58:53 PM »
apples and oranges. Bob writes a book about a Democrat, Republicans state how liberals will say he is lying..  Bob writes a book about a Republican and conservatives say he is lying. If this irony is lost on you.. I can't help you.
So you're saying the American people can't change their mind about someone and his writings over a 6 year period? Are demoncrats the only ones allowed to change their minds?

The only irony is that 6 years ago he was hated by demoncrats because of his writings, now he's loved by them for attacking Trump. Apples and oranges, right? ::) ::)
Liar!!!!Filt!!!!

LurkerNoMore

• Getbig V
  • Dumb people think Trump is smart.
« Reply #24 on: September 05, 2018, 07:19:02 PM »
The only irony is that 6 years ago he was loved by Repubs because of his writings, now he's hated by them for attacking Trump.  Apples and oranges, right?   ::) ::)

Don't worry.  Another lawsuit will come out, or another person tied to him will be indicted or plead guilty, or someone will quit the WH....   You will be having something new to make excuses for in a few days.