Author Topic: Very-low-carbohydrate diets and preservation of muscle mass  (Read 3025 times)

Manninen dude

• Getbig III
Very-low-carbohydrate diets and preservation of muscle mass
« on: February 01, 2006, 02:56:38 AM »
Just FYI: Because of widespread misunderstading, I recently published a scientific paper entitled "Very-low-carbohydrate diets and preservation of muscle mass" in peer-reviewed Nutrition & Metabolism journal. Free full text is available at: http://www.nutritionandmetabolism.com/content/pdf/1743-7075-3-9.pdf Hope you find it of some interest. Best, Anssi M.

DIVISION

• Getbig V
  • Bless me please, father.....
Re: Very-low-carbohydrate diets and preservation of muscle mass
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2006, 03:43:33 AM »
Just FYI: Because of widespread misunderstading, I recently published a scientific paper entitled "Very-low-carbohydrate diets and preservation of muscle mass" in peer-reviewed Nutrition & Metabolism journal. Free full text is available at: http://www.nutritionandmetabolism.com/content/pdf/1743-7075-3-9.pdf Hope you find it of some interest. Best, Anssi M.

Good clinical paper, it does clear up some misinterpreted results from the "Turkey Study".

Unfortunately, it only states that a VLCARB resulted in fat mass while accompanying increase in lean body mass in "normal weighted" men.
Most of us who lift are not "normal weighted", Anssi.

There needs to be a study to follow-up with powerlifters/bodybuilders, those who are using AAS and other drugs to maintain lean body mass.

I suggest you think of this for future consideration.

DIV
I'm a ghost in these killing fields...

Manninen dude

• Getbig III
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2006, 03:52:20 AM »
I certainly agree. We need well-controlled studies in healthy athletes, especially in strenght-power athletes. However, some of this "clinical" information is applicable to gym rats too.  :)

DIVISION

• Getbig V
  • Bless me please, father.....
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2006, 04:05:57 AM »
I certainly agree. We need well-controlled studies in healthy athletes, especially in strenght-power athletes. However, some of this "clinical" information is applicable to gym rats too.  :)

To a degree it is applicable.  If the atheletes are natural.  Once you enter AAS and other drugs in to the mix all the controls change and you can't base results on simple correlations of fat loss and muscle preservation.  AAS change the game, Anssi.

Realize and Recognize.

DIV
I'm a ghost in these killing fields...

Manninen dude

• Getbig III
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2006, 08:39:25 AM »
loss and muscle preservation.  AAS change the game, Anssi.
Realize and Recognize.
DIV

I wasnt born yesterday.  :) Of course, ASS, GH, insulin, thyroid hormones, etc affect skeletal muscle protein synthesis and fat oxidation.