Author Topic: does height works against you in powerlifting  (Read 6157 times)

kimo

• Getbig III
does height works against you in powerlifting
« on: September 14, 2007, 12:08:23 PM »
iam not sure tom magge and sigmarsoon were tall lifters with good totals but ithink height helps you more in strongman events

Stubborn

• Competitors II
  • Getbig IV
  • Who wants a mustache ride?
Re: does height works against you in powerlifting
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2007, 11:25:10 AM »
Height counts for a lot in Strongman. Typically, shorter people do better in PLing. Squat and DL especially. As far as bench I think that still holds true but isnt as significant. Benni Magnusson is about 5'9" and he has a massive DL because of it. Thats about 5-6 inches less of a lift he has to do than the average Strongman. I went up against a 6'8" Strongman in the stones and while I, at 6', had to press the stone overhead to get it on the platform (57") he could just get it to his lower chest and pop it up. Brian Shaw was his name and he is going to be in the WSM prelims this year. He whooped our asses, haha!

Hedgehog

• Getbig V
  • It Rubs The Lotion On Its Skin.
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2007, 11:55:14 AM »
It's always better the shorter you are in powerlifting. Only problem is that short people usually have small hands, and thus get problem with gripping the bar in the deadlift at heavier loads. But a short person with big hands - ideal.

Strongman, it's the opposite. The taller, the better. The only problem is that it will take time to become coordinated and fill out the frame for a tall guy. But height is an advantage.
As empty as paradise

Stubborn

• Competitors II
  • Getbig IV
  • Who wants a mustache ride?
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2007, 12:50:15 PM »
I am 6' and have small hands but I can double overhand grip a 405lb DL for a few reps. If I switch grip I can get about 700lbs. No I cannot DL 700 from the floor but have tested my grip up to 700lbs in a rack DL from under the knee cap. I think that most of grip strength comes from enduring the pain that comes with hundreds of pounds of knurled bar ripping at your calluses. At least when using a switched grip.

kimo

• Getbig III
« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2007, 10:27:51 AM »
some powerlifters like finland ano tuirtianen are tall and relativelylean ano can squat over 1000pounds and dead890pounds for someone of 6 foot 3 inches its very good .iam tall myself and my best lift was the deadlift . long arms helps

kimo

• Getbig III
« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2007, 10:36:09 AM »
and gary heisey at 6foot 7 inches tall had the best deadlift ever for a decade 925 pounds 1992 2002

BFP

• Competitors II
  • Getbig IV
« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2007, 11:48:39 AM »
Tim Hraold is 6'10, squats over 1000 and will pull 900 soon, if he hasnt already.

Jason