Author Topic: Oldtimer1  (Read 424957 times)

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
Re: Oldtimer1
« Reply #1150 on: May 25, 2020, 01:56:05 PM »
Flex looking at a beach cam for Seaside Heights.  The boardwalk is very lightly utilized this Monday. I bet Lavalette is the same. I might run the Lavalette boardwalk tomorrow.  I will let you know how the crowds are. I have a feeling it's going to have very few people on it.

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #1151 on: May 26, 2020, 04:57:38 PM »
Back and chest: I know broken record here.

M.A.G. grip pulldown 2 x 10 140lbs ( I could handle a lot more if I did the lean back shove. Easily 200lbs. plus)
Seated lat pull 2 x 12 170lbs (All the way out and back)
Dumbbell row 2 x 10 80lbs ( full stretch and all the way up)
Reverse grip pulldowns 2 x 10

Decline dumbbell bench 2 x 8 70lbs. ( If I did half reps like 90% do I would use 100lbs plus)
Weighted dips 2 x 10
Incline Dumbbell press 2 x 8 ( shot from the two previous exercises. Slow full negative and all the way out)
Push ups 2 x max ( great finisher)

dead lifts 2 x 4 315lbs ( I know I could handle a lot more but this is enough for at this stage of my life)
Back hyper extensions 2 x 15 25lbs plate behind my head

Weighted crunches 1 x 50 (5lbs plate behind my head)
Pulley crunches 1 x 50 ( use a lat pulldown machine using a V handle.  Held the handle behind my head and crunch down. Very effective exercise)

Gym Observations: I have none. Lifting at home. Went to the boardwalk with the wife after. It was sad. Bars and restaurants closed.  Arcades, amusement rides and stores closed too.  The crowds were about 25% of what they should have been.  Sick of these blue state governors trying to destroy the economy for politics to get rid of Trump.  Let people earn a living and get back to work.  Jobs are being destroyed and businesses won't be there when the economy opens up. Seems the only people that don't care about being stopped from working by these blue state dictators are those getting a government check and those who are well off. The common man is close to losing their house and the ability to take care of their family.  The beach was really empty too.  It was a really sunny day in Jersey. Went in the back yard with the 70 degree weather and sun having a couple of cocktails.  Played a wide range of music like Motown, 80's and some old school stuff.

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #1152 on: May 28, 2020, 12:51:14 PM »
Leg day:

Leg press 2 x 12 (all these machines are built differently. I bought one for home use and it's the best one I ever used.  I know it wouldn't last in a commercial environment but perfect for my home gym. I don't put the weight of a car on it and do  quarter knee bends. I put the back board way back and fully bend my knees. four plates a side feels like a million pounds when done like that.
Dumbbell squats 2 x 12 80lbs with straps. Dumbbells held at sides ( upright back and sinking the butt. Brutal exercise. You don't need a lot of weight. This isn't a dead lift but a squat.
Stiff leg deadlift off a platform 2 x 6 205lbs (Many of the reps I touch the top of my feet with my fists)
leg extensions 2 x 20
seated leg curls 2 x 15

Side bend with one dumbbell 1 x 15 90lbs
Hanging leg raises 2 x 22 (used semi straight legs)
Hip ups 1 x 25 (on back legs up in the air and raise hips to ceiling.)

Leg press calf 2 x 25
Seated calf raise 2 x 15
tibialis work 1 x 20 with 15lbs ( I use a device called a D.A.R.T. It's popular with runners and dancers for shin splint prevention)

neck work 1 x 20 a side

Feeling exhausted lately.  I think it's too much drinking. They closed my office because more than half of the office came down with covid with one death. I'm negative. Seven days a week of nothing but training and yard work. I find my self drinking every other day. That has to end. The picture of dumbbell squats differs slightly from the way I do it. I sink my butt lower and a little more upright.

IroNat

• Getbig V
  • Every brother ain't a brother.
« Reply #1153 on: May 28, 2020, 01:34:21 PM »
Stimulate don't annihilate.

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #1154 on: May 28, 2020, 07:33:32 PM »
Stimulate don't annihilate.

Have you been talking to Haney again?

Primemuscle

• Getbig V
« Reply #1155 on: May 28, 2020, 07:53:04 PM »
Can't post in my workout routine because I haven't been doing one this week. Yeah the gym is open. Monday I didn't go because their short hour schedule didn't mesh with mine. On Tuesday thru today, I convinced myself that I'd need an appointment to get in so I made a point of getting busy doing other stuff, like buying plants for the  yard and new cushions for the patio furniture in preparation for the big father's day event my daughter is planning.

Places are opening up, but in their effort to meet social distancing requirements, the reopening becomes a very odd experience. I took myself out to breakfast the other day more than have the booths and tables were unavailable for seating so there was definitely not a crowd, which is very unusual for this restaurant. I got the feeling that the waitress didn't want to be there because the service stank and she's usually a great server. I had avocado toast with basted eggs. There was no salt or pepper on the table, so I asked her if she could bring me some. I'm sitting there thinking my eggs are getting cold but not wanting to eat eggs without salt and pepper. Apparently she forgot. I noticed a salt shaker on a vacated booth near me, so I grabbed it, salted my eggs and avocado toast and ate my luke warm meal. Guess I shouldn't complain because I did get cream for my coffee and a $5.00  birthday discount when I don't think I had one coming....maybe she knew she screwed up. Tipped my usual 20% on the pre-discounted bill. But hey, she's pretty and she's always nice and friendly towards me....kind of like she's flirting. Yeah, in my dreams. She's young enough to be my daughter.

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #1156 on: May 29, 2020, 05:38:03 AM »
Happy birthday Prime!  Here's to hot eggs with condiments.

I drive by the commercial gym and the parking lot is a strange sight being empty. It seemed we had a regular crew there. All the same faces and we knew one another.  I wonder how pissed off they are at not being able to train? I know some of the guys were 5 to 6 day a week regulars. I am lucky to have a complete home gym that I can do just about anything I can to in the commercial gym.  I wonder how the regular gym rats are adapting? Did they give up training?  Did they improvise?  I know a really big guy that had two pieces of gym equipment and he's doing great. He has two 80lbs dumbbells. He's staying in  great shape with those.

IroNat

• Getbig V
« Reply #1157 on: May 29, 2020, 08:02:21 AM »
Obvious Gimmick has been a no-show since April 25.

Primemuscle

• Getbig V
« Reply #1158 on: May 29, 2020, 02:19:46 PM »
Obvious Gimmick has been a no-show since April 25.

Being a no show is cause for concern these days. Hope Obvious Gimmick is well.

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #1159 on: May 31, 2020, 08:21:57 AM »
Yesterday I delt and arms:

Dumbbell presses standing 2 x 10 50lbs (all the way down. No half reps.  If I did this seated with my ass slightly out and did the typical half reps I'm sure I could use the 80lbs.  The goal should always be to do the exercise in the hardest way and not the easiest)
dumbbell laterals 2 x 10 25lbs ( thumbs up)
Rear delt laterals 2 x 10 35lbs
face pulls 2 x 12 70lbs
band rear delt work 1 x 10
barbell shrugs 2 x 10 250lbs ( I see guys doing this with 400lbs barely moving their delts)

Close grip bench 2 x 8 135lbs (I use a really close grip with a ez curl bar. Wish I could use more weight but I have to use what my messed up shoulder will allow.
Lying tricep extensions with an ez curl bar 2 x 8 85lbs ( I will drop these. elbow hurt)
typical tricep push downs 2 x 10

Barbell curl 2 x 10 95lbs
Alternate dumbbell curl 2 x 8 45lbs
concentration curls 2 x 18 ( pump set to failure)

wrist curls 2 x 25 95lbs
wrist extensions 2 x 15

weighted crunches 1 x 55
pulley crunches 1 x 50

Another long pool day after. Getting a deep tan already and it's not even June.

Primemuscle

• Getbig V
« Reply #1160 on: May 31, 2020, 12:54:45 PM »
Yesterday I delt and arms:

Dumbbell presses standing 2 x 10 50lbs (all the way down. No half reps.  If I did this seated with my ass slightly out and did the typical half reps I'm sure I could use the 80lbs.  The goal should always be to do the exercise in the hardest way and not the easiest)
dumbbell laterals 2 x 10 25lbs ( thumbs up)
Rear delt laterals 2 x 10 35lbs
face pulls 2 x 12 70lbs
band rear delt work 1 x 10
barbell shrugs 2 x 10 250lbs ( I guys doing this with 400lbs barely moving their delts)

Close grip bench 2 x 8 135lbs (I use a really close grip with a ez curl bar. Wish I could use more weight but I have to use what my messed up shoulder will allow.
Lying tricep extensions with an ez curl bar 2 x 8 85lbs ( I will drop these. elbow hurt)
typical tricep push downs 2 x 10

Barbell curl 2 x 10 95lbs
Alternate dumbbell curl 2 x 8 45lbs
concentration curls 2 x 18 ( pump set to failure)

wrist curls 2 x 25 95lbs
wrist extensions 2 x 15

weighted crunches 1 x 55
pulley crunches 1 x 50

Another long pool day after. Getting a deep tan already and it's not even June.

While you are tanning, I am rusting. Rain yesterday and today.  :(

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #1161 on: May 31, 2020, 07:04:16 PM »
Ran two miles today and hit the heavy bag. A young girl about 20 something was running in front of me. I couldn't catch her. Beginning to think I have to drop some weight if I want to keep up with these young people.

IroNat

• Getbig V
« Reply #1162 on: June 01, 2020, 08:26:43 AM »
Ran two miles today and hit the heavy bag. A young girl about 20 something was running in front of me. I couldn't catch her. Beginning to think I have to drop some weight if I want to keep up with these young people.

She needs to gain weight.  Buy her more food.

I know you're kidding but you realize you aren't 20 anymore.  You are slowing down and to most observers, are an old fart.

Pretty soon you'll be walking with a cane and mumbling to yourself.

I'll be there too with my walker. 

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #1163 on: June 01, 2020, 02:07:12 PM »
Ran 3.2 miles on the boardwalk. Saw a couple of hotties in skimpy bathing suits. It was worth driving to the beach to run. 

IronNat, I don't know if I'm delusional but I still look pretty damn good both facially and physique wise for someone born in the 50's.  I'm also modest too.  I'm sure steroid users would blast my body but I never said I was a bodybuilder. I like to think of myself as an aging athlete. Like you I'm natural.

Primemuscle

• Getbig V
« Reply #1164 on: June 01, 2020, 03:22:52 PM »
Ran 3.2 miles on the boardwalk. Saw a couple of hotties in skimpy bathing suits. It was worth driving to the beach to run. 

IronNat, I don't know if I'm delusional but I still look pretty damn good both facially and physique wise for someone born in the 50's.  I'm also modest too.  I'm sure steroid users would blast my body but I never said I was a bodybuilder. I like to think of myself as an aging athlete. Like you I'm natural.

Yes. If there is one thing people consistently say about you is that you are modest.  ;D

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #1165 on: June 01, 2020, 03:55:59 PM »
Yes. If there is one thing people consistently say about you is that you are modest.  ;D

It's my best quality. I smell good too.

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #1166 on: June 02, 2020, 01:05:00 PM »
This week I'm switching it up to Dorian Yates one set to failure routine. It's either no warm up, one or two non taxing warm up sets. 

Decline Dumbbell press 1 x 10
Weighted dips 1 x 12
Incline dumbbell press 1 x 10
Pushup 1 x max

Barbell curl 1 x 13
Alternate dumbbell curls 1 x 9
Single arm pulley curls 1 x 14
concentration curl 1 x 13

wrist curl 1 x 27
wrist extension 1 x 17

Incline situps 1x 24
Weighted crunches 1 x 55
Pulley crunch 1 x 55

Ran two miles after. Getting humid in NJ.

IroNat

• Getbig V
« Reply #1167 on: June 02, 2020, 01:09:28 PM »
One set should be enough if you go to failure.

Do you get a pump?

Why do you need multiple exercises for each bodypart, like 4 bicep exercises?

If you go all out why not just do this?  Then next time do different exercises. 

Barbell curl 1 x 13
wrist curl 1 x 27
Incline situps 1x 24

Next time:

Weighted dips 1 x 12
wrist extension 1 x 17
Weighted crunches 1 x 55

Etc.

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #1168 on: June 02, 2020, 03:10:02 PM »
I agree with you but lifting with barbells and dumbbells is an imperfect method training a body part. Some exercises are mid range dominate. Some are stretch and some are lock out dominate for lack of a better term. Barbell curl could be a mid range. Pulley curl is a peak contraction and a reverse grip chin for bicep is stretch dominate. True this is minutia. Could it be that it's fun to do different exercises as a psychological factor too?  Also what I'm truly doing is four sets to failure for bicep but using different exercises. Just doing one exercise for one set to  failure per bodypart would be a seriously short work out.

Do I get a pump? Yes, I do but of course nothing like a volume pump. I remember Mr. Canada Cardillo used two sets to failure for a long time but he then went to one set to failure. When he switched to one set he increased the reps slightly to get a pump. I do the same but it isn't by design. Doing one set to failure is a big motivator to get extra reps. If your doing multiple sets no one can truly be going to failure every set. If you did every subsequent set would have lower reps if the same weight was used. 

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #1169 on: June 03, 2020, 12:32:15 PM »
Leg day:

Leg press 1 x 15 four plates a side. (Low back board and completely bending my legs as in a full squat.)
Dumbbell squat 1 x 14 85lbs (Upright back and sinking the ass down)
Stiff dead 1 x 8 205lbs (On a block brushing my fist on the top of my feet. Not fully locked knees)
leg extension 1  x 26 ( What a burn)
Standing leg curl 1 x 18 (Haven't done these in awhile)

Hanging straight leg raise 1 x 25
Hip ups 1 x 30

Leg press calf 1 x 30
seated calf 1 x 20
tibalis work 1 x 20

Neck work

Gym notes: I don't know why I do calf work. I have the longest shins and the skinniest calves. I think boxer Tommy Hearns laughs at my calves.

Primemuscle

• Getbig V
« Reply #1170 on: June 03, 2020, 12:53:37 PM »
This week I'm switching it up to Dorian Yates one set to failure routine. It's either no warm up, one or two non taxing warm up sets. 

Weighted dips 1 x 12
Incline dumbbell press 1 x 10
Pushup 1 x max

Barbell curl 1 x 13
Single arm pulley curls 1 x 14
concentration curl 1 x 13

wrist curl 1 x 27
wrist extension 1 x 17

Incline situps 1x 24
Weighted crunches 1 x 55
Pulley crunch 1 x 55

Ran two miles after. Getting humid in NJ.

Were you not counting the pushups  as you were doing them?

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #1171 on: June 03, 2020, 01:16:03 PM »
[/quote

I just max out. Different amount every time usually. I'm pre fatigued too from the prior chest exercises. As you know it's probably along with pull ups the most cheated exercises in terms of range of motion..

Primemuscle

• Getbig V
« Reply #1172 on: June 03, 2020, 07:38:18 PM »
[/quote

I just max out. Different amount every time usually. I'm pre fatigued too from the prior chest exercises. As you know it's probably along with pull ups the most cheated exercises in terms of range of motion..

I only asked because I am obsessive about counting reps, which I suspect is actually counterproductive (how's that for a convoluted statement?). What I mean is when you count reps you have an idea in your head how many you can do before failure. Let's say you maxed out at 20 reps the last time. So in your mind once you reach 20 reps it's all downhill, but if you weren't counting you might be able to do a third more before you actually failed. Maybe this isn't how your mind works, but it is now mine does. On the opposing side of this, if you did 20 reps the last time you did them, in your head you know you have to at least get to 20 this time or you're going backwards.

When I am at the gym working out, I actually write down everything I do on a mini spread sheet so I can measure my improvement, including the number of reps, sets and resistance. After a long layoff, I pull out my old tablet and use it to see how much I have or haven't lost by acting like a sloth.

IroNat

• Getbig V
« Reply #1173 on: June 04, 2020, 03:59:55 AM »
Do your calves first in your workout, not last.

Think of your workout as "Calves and then some other stuff".

You also need more volume.  1 set is not enough.  3 sets of each exercise.  Keep your sets close together.  30 seconds max rest
between sets.  Train them two or three times a week.

Another option is to superset the different exercises.  No rest between supersets.

Jump start your calves by doing 3-5 sets of 100 reps plus 5-10 burns of bodyweight calf raises only on a block for a few days in a row to shock your calves and open up the blood vessels.  Your calves will inflate and you'll get a massive pump.

This will jumpstart your calves and get the blood into them. Then back to 3 sets of max reps for each of your calf exercises.  Keeps reps in the range of 10-25 reps.

Practice flexing your calves too when they are pumped. 

Now, all the distance running you do is messing up your calves and making the calf muscles stringy and tough and keeping them small. 

Think about what marathon runners look like.  Stringy and small.  Overtraining. 

Calves need rest and recuperation time just like any other muscle.

No need to thank me for the "unasked for" advices.  Always glad to help.  ;)

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #1174 on: June 04, 2020, 04:30:22 AM »
Do your calves first in your workout, not last.

Think of your workout as "Calves and then some other stuff".

You also need more volume.  1 set is not enough.  3 sets of each exercise.  Keep your sets close together.  30 seconds max rest
between sets.  Train them two or three times a week.

Another option is to superset the different exercises.  No rest between supersets.

Jump start your calves by doing 3-5 sets of 100 reps plus 5-10 burns of bodyweight calf raises only on a block for a few days in a row to shock your calves and open up the blood vessels.  Your calves will inflate and you'll get a massive pump.

This will jumpstart your calves and get the blood into them. Then back to 3 sets of max reps for each of your calf exercises.  Keeps reps in the range of 10-25 reps.

Practice flexing your calves too when they are pumped. 

Now, all the distance running you do is messing up your calves and making the calf muscles stringy and tough and keeping them small. 

Think about what marathon runners look like.  Stringy and small.  Overtraining. 

Calves need rest and recuperation time just like any other muscle.

No need to thank me for the "unasked for" advices.  Always glad to help.  ;)

Even when I was on the track team in college as a sprinter they were small and they obviously were functional. I wasn't using distance as a training protocol but doing sets of sprints. You're right about volume and frequency for hypertrophy.  HIT doesn't pump a muscle as well as volume. Training with low sets and body parts once a week are great for strength though. I never train calves first because for me it destabilizes my legs for thigh work as in squats or any standing exercises. In the end genetics rule. Bill Grant trained the hell out of his calves. He had amazing arms and small calves.

Conditioning is very important for me so I run.  Having a big gas tank is important for me. I'm not a bodybuilder. I remember a chubby guy in the gym saying heart disease and being heavy runs in his family. Heart disease and being fat runs in his family because nobody runs in his family is a more likely explanation. Running isn't a cure all but it puts the risk factors on your side. Also having a big gas tank is just an important part of combat training. At this age I don't box and practice jui jitsu anymore but without a doubt running improves your gas tank in those activities. Truth be told most gym rats couldn't box against an opponent for more than one round because of exhaustion. Just seen it too many times in the ring with novice wanna be fighters.