Author Topic: Seated behind the neck presses feel great, why are they "bad for the shoulder"?  (Read 71146 times)

bigmc

• Getbig V
As much as I like standing db presses, I've never put consistent effort into progressing with them. I do like the seated barbell set up at my gym, back is tall up to my head.

it takes a lot of technique to go heavy on them

ive always done them seated
T

chaos

• Getbig V
  • Ron "There is no freedom of speech here" Avidan
it takes a lot of technique to go heavy on them

ive always done them seated
Most people have trouble with balance cleaning the dbs up for standing. Funny cause after I do them I always see younger guys tryng them a few days later.
Liar!!!!Filt!!!!

B_B_C

• Getbig IV
  • change is the lot of all
if you have a big cranium they are no good either

as there are loads of big though not well employed craniums on this site little harm will result
c

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
I've done behind the neck since I was about 15 to about 50 plus. I always thought it kept the joint healthy because you do need shoulder flexibility to do a full range of motion. When I got to about 55 I can't do them anymore without a lot of pain.  Front presses cause no pain and dumbbells just a occasional pain. I fear my one shoulder in particular is wearing out.

snarled

• Getbig II
Same story with upright rows, don't overdo the ROM or go retardedly heavy and you'll be fine.

jon cole

• Getbig IV
I have been doing seated behing the neck press since 2000. Heaviest load was 245lbs for 5 reps for partial rep and complete range of motion for 10 reps at 180lbs and 1 rep at 225.
My shoulder are ok, i never injuried myself with bnp, but i did it several time with bench press.

When i stop doing them for few week, not only my shoulder size shrink but the overall size of my upper body, especially upper chest.
asstropin

jpm101

• Getbig IV
Press Behind The Neck/Behind The Neck Presses......an excellent and productive movement. Sorry to see a great exercise misunderstood and get blamed for whatever. This would also include Upright Rows.

When new to this exercise some are just not flexible in the shoulder girdle, and try to rush the weight they use on the bar (too much, too soon). Actually most are not flexible enough for overhead movements of any kind in the first place, including BB'ers and PL'ers.. And don't take the extra time for an extended warm-up.

The lifter in the video clip is using a snatch grip (collar to collar), as noted before. This Russian (I guess) lifter has probably been doing this wide hand spacing since his early teen years. For the average BB'er new to the movement, a more middle grip position would be suggested. Go light first to learn the exercise and how the body reacts to it. Some guy's are not made for certain exercises. Like so many who do benches and complain about this or that injury or extreme joint soreness probably should not be doing serious benching at all. Their just not designed for that exercise (bone leverage, muscle inserts, balanced power generation, etc).

The normal ROM , once a good state of flexibility is achieved, is to lower the bar to the nap of the neck or the middle traps area. Lowering to ear level might be better for a serious BB's because more TUT (Time Under Tension ) can be applied , and if no lockout is at the top position.

I've SS'ed the PBN with upright row, an excellent combo for me. May not work for others but I never had any problems with either. I would not suggest that combo to other lifters though...just what works for me.

Good Luck.

F

jpm101

• Getbig IV
Just to note:

Heavy PL'ers and others will sometimes include behind the neck presses in serious workouts. Seems to help the over all performance of their bench presses.

Good Luck. 
F

IroNat

• Getbig V
  • Time you enjoy wasting, was not wasted.
Agree with JPM101.

Too heavy too soon is bad.

It takes a while for the connective tissues to strengthen and flexibility to develop.

Rmj11

• Getbig IV
seems like i can add this to the list of myths like "squats are bad for the knees" and "cardio kills gains"

Don't go heavy on them. Use a moderate weight and go for higher reps. I find doing press behind the neck on the smith machine best.

Donny

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • getbig Zen Master
BNP  is a very risky exercise which won´t bring anymore development than say a seated DB press especially using a hammer neutral grip, it also depends of the arc of movement. worst is the so called Arnold press