Author Topic: Oldtimer1  (Read 426806 times)

IroNat

• Getbig V
  • The only constant in life is change. – Heraclitus
Re: Oldtimer1
« Reply #1325 on: August 08, 2020, 02:32:40 PM »
Says the chubby guy. Bullshit. Cardio is so important to being lean.

No need to attack me.  You're a class guy so I'd expect better.

What you eat trumps cardio by a mile, unless you want to spend hours a day doing cardio.  Who wants to spend hours doing cardio?

I'm not saying cardio is not good for endurance.  It is good for that.

Will it make you live longer or avoid a heart attack?  Nope.

It's just not efficient for weight loss compared to reducing calories.

Combined with lower calories it will help you drop off those few last pounds but in no way will it overcome too much food and drink.

You just can't do enough cardio to work off the calories that exceed normal daily metabolic needs if you overeat a lot.

Don't assume I don't do cardio.  I did 30 minutes on the airdyne yesterday including 10 minutes of sprints.

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #1326 on: August 09, 2020, 03:54:16 PM »
Being out of cardio shape is a risk factor for heart disease. A huge percentage of cardiac patients are put on an aerobic exercise programs recovering from surgery. The 50 plus years of statistics from Doctor Cooper is vast. Yes, being in cardio shape is good for your heart. Those that have a heart attack while doing aerobic type exercise isn't proof of anything but an statistical anomoly.  Aerobic exercise has prevented more heart attacks than it has caused. The heart is a muscle. Regarding life extension Cooper used a bell graph showing those that exercised aerobically did live longer. The downside of the bell was those that did excessive cardio didn't.

If you were to run two miles a day hard six days a week for two weeks you would lose fat that wouldn't account for the caloric cost during the activity.

You use rationalization against aerobic type exercise might stem from it being too hard for you. You have  bias against aerobics exercise then you come with a non sequitur that you use an air dyne. 

Today I ran two hard miles. You can put me down for it as your usually do but but I lose weight drastically when I have a good cardio program going.

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #1327 on: August 12, 2020, 07:03:52 PM »
Missing a lot of workouts here out of laziness. Yes, working out hard but I'm not posting it. Yesterday I did 2.2 miles run early before work. Today was a hard leg workout before work.

Rereading Zane's book about his workout journals. Learned some good stuff. Dumbbell squats is something I have never seen in the gym. I am the only one doing them in my gym. Reading his workout journals and he used them. He called them Dumbbell hack squats but it's the same thing I do. I have no clue why he calls them dumbbell hack squats.

Another thing I learned is how much pain his shoulder was giving him. He took a lot of pain medicine because of it. He also was pretty strong for a guy that wasn't huge. Yes, some times of the year he used a lot less weight and I assume it was off cycle. For many guys back then they would only use steroids for  the one big contest each year. The rest of the year they would do without.

Last point is he used a lot of cardio. It was either running, walking or biking.  He mentions it a lot through his journals. Arnold, Callard and Franco use to run too. More recently Yates and Ronnie used walking on treadmill and stationary cycling.

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #1328 on: August 14, 2020, 09:38:55 AM »
Trained Delt and arms today.  I've been planning a whole body routine instead of my split. Thinking it over so I can lift twice a week to three times a week to free time for other activities.  I have a love hate relationship with whole body routines. If you have ever red lined it for whole body routines then you know it's truly is the hardest way to train. It's devastating to the body. When ever I hear people say it's a beginner routine loses all credibility with me. Split routines are way easier.

When I use whole body routines I do it the way Arthur Jones said to do it. Largest to the smallest body part unless something conflicts. The general order for me is as shown below.

Power exercise-legs-chest (done out of order so I don't do back to back pressing)-back- shoulders-triceps-biceps- calves- abs-neck. 

This is my old reliable whole body routine.  It's a killer if you push yourself. No warm ups shown. I do them if I need it.

1. Power cleans and jerks 3 x 3 then 1 x 1
2. Squats 2 x 8 then 1 x 1
3. Standing leg curls 2 x 12
4. Dumbbell bench press 2 x 8
5. Pull ups 2 x max
6. Seated lat cable rows 2 x 12
7. Military press 2 x 8
8. Dumbbell delt laterals 2 x 10
9. Weighted dips 2 x 10
10. Barbell curls 2 x 10
11. Standing calf raise 2 x 15
12. Sit ups 1 x max on an incline
13. Weighted hyper extensions 2 x 15
14. neck work one set for each side.

The weight progression at this point maybe due to my age is a six workout progression.  So if I'm training three days a week I will hit the heaviest weight on workout six.  I plot out a goal for workout six and back off each workout 5lbs to 10lbs depending on the exercise. Some times I can use fractionalized plates for less progression. I guess it's hard to convey what I'm saying. Let's say my goal is a 35lbs plate behind my head for weighted hyper back extensions?  If I'm working out Monday-Wednesday and Friday it will look like this. Monday I will use 10lbs. plate behind my head for weighted back extensions. I can do additional reps but I won't. I will stop at 15 reps. Wednesday I will use 15lbs. Same again. I can do more reps but I will stop. Friday will be 20lbs.  Next week Monday I will use 25lbs plate. Wednesday will be 30lbs.  and Friday I will shoot with for my goal of 35lbs plate behind my head.  The first week with the 10lbs the reps will be slow in both directions. I will make it harder by doing that. By the time I get to 35lbs it will be a normal rep cadence. After I hit the goal weight it's always good to completely change each exercise. It's good for the mind and body. 

Having typed all this who knows what I will do next week. When I was younger I planned workouts with a notebook. I recorded every rep, weight and time it took to complete the workout.  I still have many of those journals. No,  in my sixties I can't come close to doing what I could when I was younger. The last great peak I had I was around 50.  I'm just trying to hold it together now.

Even though I train with a split for the majority of my training I think there is gold in whole body routines. The body fatigues as a unit systemically.  It's not localized to a body part. Also it becomes more athletic using the majority of compound movements instead of so much isolation.  The body when doing any athletic sport works as a unit and not in isolation.  If you wanted to make a better fighter, running back or a sprinter would you have them doing leg extensions or curls? Odd are a competent trainer or coach would have them doing something like power cleans, snatches and full squats with a pressing motion. Me, I'm struck in the bodybuilding mentality.  If I had my senses I would train like an athlete instead of a bodybuilder. 

Primemuscle

• Getbig V
« Reply #1329 on: August 14, 2020, 11:46:46 AM »
Do you feel like you are getting a complete triceps and biceps workout using this routine?

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #1330 on: August 14, 2020, 04:52:26 PM »
Do you feel like you are getting a complete triceps and biceps workout using this routine?

Why not? Curious why you would ask that? Barbell curls for the biceps and dips for the triceps. Also chins and cable rows work the biceps and dumbbell bench and military hits the triceps again.

Primemuscle

• Getbig V
« Reply #1331 on: August 14, 2020, 05:08:28 PM »
Why not? Curious why you would ask that? Barbell curls for the biceps and dips for the triceps. Also chins and cable rows work the biceps and dumbbell bench and military hits the triceps again.

Just making the comparison between whole body routines and targeted routines wherein one hits the same muscle group directly using a variety of exercises, i.e. seated dumbbell curls, standing cable EZ bar curls, standing reverse grip curls, concentration curls. Likewise a full array of triceps exercises, of which there are many to choose from.

Almost all exercises involve more than one muscle group. Some more directly than others.

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #1332 on: August 15, 2020, 10:52:20 AM »
Just making the comparison between whole body routines and targeted routines wherein one hits the same muscle group directly using a variety of exercises, i.e. seated dumbbell curls, standing cable EZ bar curls, standing reverse grip curls, concentration curls. Likewise a full array of triceps exercises, of which there are many to choose from.

Almost all exercises involve more than one muscle group. Some more directly than others.

I love split routines and the fun of doing a variety of exercises.  Some exercises are stretch orientated. Some are mid range and some are contraction priority. In reality this is minutiae.  Bottom line it is fun to do a variety of exercises for each body part. A whole body routine doesn't leave room for that luxury.  When Monday gets here I will decide to go the whole body route or do another split.  My work schedule opened up so I will have more days off for awhile. Having that luxury makes the split more appealing. Only thought of whole body routines because I had too much work obligations lately.  Now the wind is shifting at work and I have more days off next week.  :)

Prime, do you think anyone trains on this site?  It seems no one talks about training anymore on the main board.  I can condense the typical thread comments as the following. "You are an asshole and I can kick your ass"  "You couldn't kick a little girls ass."  "Put up a picture of your scary physique."  "Fuck you, your mother has one leg shorter than the other and every time she tries to walk she ends up walking in a circle."  "I will kill you for talking about my mother."  "I'm scared. You don't even lift."   

Primemuscle

• Getbig V
« Reply #1333 on: August 15, 2020, 01:10:40 PM »
Ha, ha, those "posts" are a great assessment of the average contributor on Getbig. If you take an objective look at most of what's posted, you'd think that the age of the average people here are somewhere between 13 and an immature 18 year old. Of course I am no one to talk because I've definitely fallen prey to the particularly rank posts about me and sometimes I respond at the poster's level. I really need to practice ignoring those posts. That recent poll as to whether I should leave the board or not was just dumb. I'll leave the board when I choose to or I die.

You, Ironat, NJflex, occasionally The Scott and me seem to be the only people posting anything really bodybuilding related on a regular basis. I've even noticed when Ron puts up competition results hardly anyone comments on them. I guess you could also say that a few of The Coach's posts are bodybuilding related....mostly about his diet, which is crazy restrictive. At least he looks like a competitive bodybuilder in his photos.

Whatever happened to people having lively adult conversations that sometimes included politics? My best friend is very conservative, her partner is more liberal, we often have political discussions. She absolutely did not like Bill Clinton because she believe as president he should have been a moral leader. I felt like his private business should be of no concern to anyone outside the people directly involved. We had very different points of view and had some lively conversations over this.

You and I have our differences of opinion about politics, etc. We have had respectful discussions. We've not resorted to name calling. It can be done when people act like adults. Now, the Scott is another story.....so much hated. It must be eating him alive.

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #1334 on: August 16, 2020, 08:17:59 AM »
Interesting article on heavy weights vs light weights. It seems they both work. It's just the intensity of effort. Kind of like comparing a quarter mile sprinter to a 10K guy. They both train hard but it's apples to oranges.

Two extremes here.  One guy warms up with non taxing weight  then hits an exercise for one set to failure where he couldn't get another rep.  The second guy does the same exercise for 5 sets.  First set of 10 reps is well within his capacity.  He could have got 17 reps if he pushed it. Second set he gets 10 reps and he could have got 15 reps. Third is another ten. It's getting hard now.  He could only gotten about 12.  Fourth he gets 10 but wonders if he could have gotten 11. The fifth  set he fails at 9. 

Arguably who is getting the most amount of work for the muscle?  Intensity guys will say the first because he failed at 10 and if you put a gun to his head he couldn't have gotten 11 reps.  The volume  guy would say mathematically and finite reasoning says the volume guy had more work and stress to build the muscle.  If intensity was the magic bullet wouldn't it reason to do sets of one rep after warming up so you could do the most intense training possible?

Anyway this article is  on the Clarence Bass site. It cites of course increased endurance is the result of volume with light weight and I assume higher reps. I'm also sure it doesn't assist with one rep maxes.

https://www.cbass.com/LightWeights.htm

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #1335 on: August 17, 2020, 04:25:38 PM »
Whole body routine before work today. Every one is sleeping and I'm in my basement with ear buds in lifting iron. I should have my head examined.

Power cleans 3 x 3 (These are a fun lift. I used light weights since I haven't used them in a awhile)

Barbell Squats 2 x 8 then 1 x 1 (Another exercise I rarely use now. Shoulders are screaming from holding the bar)
Standing leg curls 2 x 12 ( Felt good. I've been using the seated leg curl for a long time now.)

Decline Dumbbell bench 2 x 8 ( I think I have to increase the angle. I just set the adjustable bench when I got it and never experimented.

Pull ups 5 x 3 ( I know 3 reps.  :-\ I did them very slow and full range. Dead hang to having the elbows all the way down at the end of the concentric portion of the rep. Rested little between sets. Break in exercise. I haven't done these in  a long time.
Seated lat cable rows 2 x 12

Military press 2 x 10
Dumbbell laterals 2 x 12 (One set thumbs up and one conventional.)

Barbell curls 2 x 10 ( fairly narrow grip.)
Weighted dips 2 x 10

No weight single leg calf raises 2 x max

Weighted lower back hyper extensions 2 x 25

Neck work

I really don't enjoy whole body routines. I like to stay with a body part with a different exercises. I know if you are enjoying a workout you're not training hard enough but something about a whole body routine I just don't want to use anymore. Maybe it's the lack of a pump. Maybe it's the whole body exhaustion thing. Having said that I didn't use max weights for me in this workout so I couldn't say with a straight face I red lined the tach on the workout. Taking two days off of lifting and I will decide what I want to do for the rest of the week.

The power cleans were fun but I have a lot of trouble racking the weight with my arthritic and damaged shoulders. Wonder if I'm causing more harm than benefit from the exercise. It sure is fun doing the quick lifts though. I remember when Bill Starr wrote an article in the old Ironman a couple of decades ago. He was said a good quick lift for an older trainer was actually a snatch.  He stated his reasoning and it made some good points. When I used the snatch maybe 10 plus years ago I used the old fashion split snatch.  I might do an exercise I never did before too. I saw a video of three guys having a clean and press contest with dumbbells. Highest reps one. They looked like they were dying at the end. I just have a fear of injury at my age. Doing something stupid at this age could be very damaging.  ;D

Primemuscle

• Getbig V
« Reply #1336 on: August 17, 2020, 11:59:26 PM »
Whole body routine before work today. Every one is sleeping and I'm in my basement with ear buds in lifting iron while every one is sleeping. I should have my head examined.

Power cleans 3 x 3 (These are a fun lift. I used light weights since I haven't used them in a awhile)

Barbell Squats 2 x 8 then 1 x 1 (Another exercise I rarely use now. Shoulders are screaming from holding the bar)
Standing leg curls 2 x 12 ( Felt good. I've been using the seated leg curl for a long time now.)

Decline Dumbbell bench 2 x 8 ( I think I have to increase the angle. I just set the adjustable bench when I got it and never experimented.

Pull ups 5 x 3 ( I know 3 reps.  :-\ I did them very slow and full range. Dead hang to having the elbows all the way down at the end of the concentric portion of the rep. Rested little between sets. Break in exercise. I haven't done these in  a long time.
Seated lat cable rows 2 x 12

Military press 2 x 10
Dumbbell laterals 2 x 12 (One set thumbs up and one conventional.)

Barbell curls 2 x 10 ( fairly narrow grip.)
Weighted dips 2 x 10

No weight single leg calf raises 2 x max

Weighted lower back hyper extensions 2 x 25

Neck work

I really don't enjoy whole body routines. I like to stay with a body part with a different exercises. I know if you are enjoying a workout you're not training hard enough but something about a whole body routine I just don't want to use anymore. Maybe it's the lack of a pump. Maybe it's the whole body exhaustion thing. Having said that I didn't use max weights for me in this workout so I couldn't say with a straight face I red lined the tach on the workout. Taking two days off of lifting and I will decide what I want to do for the rest of the week.

The power cleans were fun but I have a lot of trouble racking the weight with my arthritic and damaged shoulders. Wonder if I'm causing more harm than benefit from the exercise. It sure is fun doing the quick lifts though. I remember when Bill Starr wrote an article in the old Ironman a couple of decades ago. He was said a good quick lift for an older trainer was actually a snatch.  He stated his reasoning and it made some good points. When I used the snatch maybe 10 plus years ago I used the old fashion split snatch.  I might do an exercise I never did before too. I saw a video of three guys having a clean and press contest with dumbbells. Highest reps one. They looked like they were dying at the end. I just have a fear of injury at my age. Doing something stupid at this age could be very damaging.  ;D

If you are not enjoying your workout you are probably training too hard instead of not hard enough. I believe when you finish your routine, you feel good, not exhausted. That way you'll look forward to the next workout instead of dreading it. This is just my opinion, but I think you are way to hard on yourself.

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #1337 on: August 18, 2020, 05:07:05 AM »
If you are not enjoying your workout you are probably training too hard instead of not hard enough. I believe when you finish your routine, you feel good, not exhausted. That way you'll look forward to the next workout instead of dreading it. This is just my opinion, but I think you are way to hard on yourself.

Prime what you said is actually what Bill Pearl wrote several times. He said in effect if you push yourself too hard then you will dread working out. This will lead to missed workouts.  He said longevity is an important part of working out. Also never forget what Lee Haney was fond of saying, " Stimulate don't annihilate."  Getting back to Pearl he wrote training to exhaustion was wrong.

Prime look at this link written by Bill Pearl and scroll down to the bottom where he talks about training to failure. He agrees with you point by point. http://www.billpearl.com/championphysique_month1/

I wrote to Pearl awhile back and he wrote when he got older he didn't "hot dog" anymore. I think his slang meant show off in the weight room. In another article I read where he was interviewed he said around age 55 he stopped caring about the weight on the bar.

Primemuscle

• Getbig V
« Reply #1338 on: August 18, 2020, 01:48:00 PM »
Prime what you said is actually what Bill Pearl wrote several times. He said in effect if you push yourself too hard then you will dread working out. This will lead to missed workouts.  He said longevity is an important part of working out. Also never forget what Lee Haney was fond of saying, " Stimulate don't annihilate."  Getting back to Pearl he wrote training to exhaustion was wrong.

Prime look at this link written by Bill Pearl and scroll down to the bottom where he talks about training to failure. He agrees with you point by point. http://www.billpearl.com/championphysique_month1/

I wrote to Pearl awhile back and he wrote when he got older he didn't "hot dog" anymore. I think his slang meant show off in the weight room. In another article I read where he was interviewed he said around age 55 he stopped caring about the weight on the bar.

I'm with Bill Pearl. He's had a very long life in which he's maintained good health and fitness. He must know what he's talking about.

There have been so many times when  I started a new routine, that I went into it with the train smart approach and gradually started adding exercises, set and reps, plus really pushing y weight limits. It's so easy to fall into this habit. After all it is known as progressive weight training.

Set reasonable limits and stick to them. In the long haul you'll be glad that you did.

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #1339 on: August 18, 2020, 05:54:24 PM »
Ran two miles today. Disappointed with the time. At this age sometimes I go for a run sometimes and I feel relatively young but most of the time I run and feel like a decrepit old person.  Ran two miles a little under 10 minute miles. Pathetic. Just felt like my legs wouldn't work. Going to try it again tomorrow and I hope to red line the pace.  Maybe I'm not recovered from the whole body routine I did the day before. I hate aging. I look at the civilians I work with that are around my age and whether female or male and they look like absolute shit.  Egotistically I say  I know  I'm doing something right.

I remember being about  16 years old and running a sub 6 minute mile was as easy as hell.  I remember thinking back then I will always be able to "jog" a mile in the sub 6 minute pace.  Now running a 8 minute mile feels so fast. I think it's just age. No one escapes it. Some specialize in a specific athletic endeavor as they age and can still do some impressive stuff. I know they can't do anything athletic outside of their specialty because of their age. My friend is the typical 60 something power lifter. He is fat and soft with zero muscles it seems. Uses about 2 to 4 exercises a training session. He can push impressive powerlifting  numbers in his narrow athletic quest. I know if he did a pick up two hand touch game with college guys he would be winded quick and as slow as molasses.  Something to be said for just being fit.

I might have mentioned it before but Joe Weider and his empire was located in the city I grew up in New Jersey. As a 8 year old or so I would would walk in and the guys there would give me stacks of expired magazines. I actually still have one in tatters. Still a better magazine than anything put out. I think it was from 1966.  Had Rick Wayne on the cover. The cover is gone. Anyway it put the bodybuilding bug in my brain. At 17 I bought a bunch of Jubinville stuff. Some of it amazingly I still have. It was great seeing Joe Weider in his prime. Wearing a suit he looked so big to a little kid that I was.

In retrospect I wish I never was exposed to bodybuilding. It's a drug sport. I would have been so better off health wise and conditioning wise if I was mainly a body weight exercise guy who ran for conditioning. I would be ripped and in great health. Instead I'm training with weights too much and doing too little conditioning exercises.

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #1340 on: August 20, 2020, 06:01:53 AM »
Yesterday I did a Yates workout. One set to failure after warm up if needed. Reps listed are generally accurate but they are from memory so sometimes a guess. I don't use a workout journal anymore.

Dumbbell flat bench 1 x 10 (Slow negative. Trying hard not to aggravate my shoulder)
Decline Dumbbell bench 1 x 10
Flat flies 1 x 14 (used a moderate weight and tried to use a slow rep cadence )
Push ups 1 x max (these are hard do to right after flies)

Barbell curl 1 x 12
Alternate dumbbell curl 1 x 10
Narrow grip barbell curls 1 x 14 (Really liking this exercise)
Concentration curls 1 x 13

Wrist curls 1 x 20
Wrist extensions 1 x 20
Ivanko gripper 2 x 20

Incline sit ups 1 x 25
Pulley ab crunches 1 x 50

Yesterday after my workout my daughter asked for help in getting furniture from Costco for her house. Thought it was a box or two.  Turned out to be bed set, two dressers, armoire, two night stands and something else. The boxes were heavy. I was moving it with her big Polish boyfriend. One item was in his pick up truck. I went to push it toward the gate to get ready to remove it and I saw stars with my shoulder pain. These bulky items are awkward to lift in a box. She closes on her house on Friday so all this stuff is sitting my house and now I got to move it to her house in three days. This time up stairs. Told her she has to get a hand truck and ratchet straps for this. I had such a good workout and felt I caused damage moving this crap.

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #1341 on: August 20, 2020, 04:13:15 PM »
Leg day: Yates style. One set to failure after warm up if needed.

Leg press 1 x 15
Dumbbell squat 1 x 15
Stiff dead 1 x 8
leg extension 1 x 25
Seated leg curl 1 x 18

one dumbbell side bend 1 x 18
Hanging straight leg raise 1 x 25
Hip ups 1 x 30

Standing calf 1 x 20
Seated calf 1 x 18

Neck work

After I cleaned the pool and filled a cooler with beer. Floated in an inflatable chair listening to Frank Sinatra and Dean Martin.  A lot of live night club stuff. Wish dinner clubs could come back to that.

Primemuscle

• Getbig V
« Reply #1342 on: August 20, 2020, 04:42:05 PM »
Leg day: Yates style. One set to failure after warm up if needed.

Leg press 1 x 15
Dumbbell squat 1 x 15
Stiff dead 1 x 8
leg extension 1 x 25
Seated leg curl 1 x 18

one dumbbell side bend 1 x 18
Hanging straight leg raise 1 x 25
Hip ups 1 x 30

Standing calf 1 x 20
Seated calf 1 x 18

Neck work

After I cleaned the pool and filled a cooler with beer. Floated in an inflatable chair listening to Frank Sinatra and Dean Martin.  A lot of live night club stuff. Wish dinner clubs could come back to that.

What amount of weight are you using on these 1 set, high rep exercises?

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #1343 on: August 20, 2020, 07:00:29 PM »
What amount of weight are you using on these 1 set, high rep exercises?

I stopped listing weights because it's irrelevant to another trainer.  Take two guys doing a leg press. One does shallow leg bends and the other completely fully bends his legs. Which is working harder? How can they compare weight used?  I might do slow reps and another is doing fast reps. Bodybuilding is full of delusional people and it seems the majority uses a short range of motion so they can handle the big weights. 

I remember one day doing sets of  dumbbell shoulder presses with 55lbs. I went all the way down as far as my arms could go. The guy I was lifting with took the 80lbs and never let his humerous bone go below parallel. So what is that? A half press? He told me he started training using the fifties but now he proudly said he's up to the 80lbs.  My next set I took his 80lbs and did the exact range of motion he did with a set. Instead of seeing my point he asked why was I using the 55lbs if I could handle the 80lbs? Was he so delusional he couldn't see I was moving the weight each rep through a greater range of motion than what he was doing? Bodybuilding is full of delusional insecure guys. No, I'm not a strong man. I do think I'm a hard trainer though.

IroNat

• Getbig V
  • The only constant in life is change. – Heraclitus
« Reply #1344 on: August 21, 2020, 03:46:34 AM »
Injuries often happen when we do something we aren't used to doing.

I injured my bicep tendon a few months ago doing heavy low cable rows when I hadn't done them in a long time.

My knee was sore for weeks after taking a walk on uneven terrain.

Stuff like that.  Like lifting boxes.

I was helping my daughter move a month or so ago and I bent low to pick up a mattress and got a back spasm.

It can happen when you're younger too.  I had the worst back spasms ever 30+ years ago after doing seated presses.

Anytime you change exercises you have to be careful and not go too heavy at first.

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #1345 on: August 21, 2020, 07:33:52 AM »

I injured my bicep tendon a few months ago doing heavy low cable rows when I hadn't done them in a long time.

I was helping my daughter move a month or so ago and I bent low to pick up a mattress and got a back spasm.

It can happen when you're younger too.  I had the worst back spasms ever 30+ years ago after doing seated presses.

Anytime you change exercises you have to be careful and not go too heavy at first.

Regarding seated lat pulley rows I have hurt my bicep tendon in the past too. Try a slightly wider handle. I found that helped me. Instead of the conventional V type handle try a M.A.G. handle or just use a wider one. The wider handle eliminated the strain for me. The one pictured is somewhat like the one I use when my bicep gets aggravated. Another thing I found when using the typical V handle for lat rows is the grip used makes a big difference regarding bicep strain. Hard to explain with words but I will give it a shot. When grabbing the V handle take a loose grip then push your  inside wrists toward each other. Then tighten your grip to begin the exercise.

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #1346 on: August 21, 2020, 10:22:46 AM »
Back day:

Pull ups 1 x max ( weak in these because I haven't done them for a long time. Did them twice this week. Tomorrow is the third time.
MAG bar pull downs 1 x 11 140lbs with an upright back. No lean back heaves. All the way down and all the way out.
Seated lat pulley rows 1 x 14 170lbs
Dumbbell row off a bench 1 x 12 85lbs
Deadlift 1 x 6 315lbs
Lower back hyper extensions 1 x 20 25lbs plate behind my head
Weighted crunches 1 x 50
Pulley crunches 1 x 25 (I increased the weight from what I was doing)

Primemuscle

• Getbig V
« Reply #1347 on: August 21, 2020, 02:01:38 PM »
I stopped listing weights because it's irrelevant to another trainer.  Take two guys doing a leg press. One does shallow leg bends and the other completely fully bends his legs. Which is working harder? How can they compare weight used?  I might do slow reps and another is doing fast reps. Bodybuilding is full of delusional people and it seems the majority uses a short range of motion so they can handle the big weights. 

I remember one day doing sets of  dumbbell shoulder presses with 55lbs. I went all the way down as far as my arms could go. The guy I was lifting with took the 80lbs and never let his humerous bone go below parallel. So what is that? A half press? He told me he started training using the fifties but now he proudly said he's up to the 80lbs.  My next set I took his 80lbs and did the exact range of motion he did with a set. Instead of seeing my point he asked why was I using the 55lbs if I could handle the 80lbs? Was he so delusional he couldn't see I was moving the weight each rep through a greater range of motion than what he was doing? Bodybuilding is full of delusional insecure guys. No, I'm not a strong man. I do think I'm a hard trainer though.

All of what you wrote is correct. That doesn't mean there isn't value in know what other's are doing with regard to all aspects of weight training which includes how much weight one lifts in any given exercise. There is no harm in someone saying I use X amount of weight and I go deep, with great concentration on strict form and speed of movement. That gives the reader a full picture of how you preform the exercise. It's not about who can lift more. The variables in weight training are endless. I lift a lot less poundage today then I did in my 20's and 30's which suggests age might be yet another variable to consider.

Primemuscle

• Getbig V
« Reply #1348 on: August 21, 2020, 02:05:06 PM »

This is so true. I have put my lower back out dozens of times over the years, never once was it when I was exercising. It always was when I was doing something where I neglected to think about form, like when moving boxes or in my case just turning or twisting the wrong way.

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #1349 on: August 22, 2020, 06:50:17 AM »
When I was young I hurt my lower back a lot. I now attribute it too training too much.  I never gave the lower back a break. Heavy deadlifting one day and the next day power lifting type squats. The day after power cleans. When it went out it would be out for a week but it came back fine. Too be young again. My training partner from back in the day of my late teens and early 20's just had major lower back surgery in his 60's. He blames the lifting we did in our youth. He also was a butcher lifting lot of heavy beef boxes. 

Now knock on wood my lower back seems bullet proof. Wish I could say the same for my shoulders.