Author Topic: Obama to Pentagon: Prepare for No Troops in Afghanistan  (Read 649 times)

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
  • I am. The most interesting man in the world. (Not)
Obama to Pentagon: Prepare for No Troops in Afghanistan
« on: February 25, 2014, 12:14:09 PM »
It's time to wind down, but watch the talks suddenly break down and we pull everyone out like we did in Iraq, then he will claim to have "ended the war" again. 

Obama to Pentagon: Prepare for No Troops in Afghanistan
Tuesday, 25 Feb 2014

President Barack Obama has ordered the Pentagon to plan for a full American withdrawal from Afghanistan by the end of this year should the Afghan government refuse to sign a security agreement with the U.S, the White House said Tuesday.

However, in a call with Afghan President Hamid Karzai, Obama also said the U.S. could still keep a limited troop presence in Afghanistan after 2014 if the agreement is ultimately signed. He acknowledged that Karzai was unlikely to sign the bilateral security agreement himself, leaving the fate of the continued U.S. troop presence in Afghanistan to the winner of the country's April elections.

"We will leave open the possibility of concluding a BSA with Afghanistan later this year," the White House said in a summary of the call between the two leaders. However, the White House added that "the longer we go without a BSA, the more likely it will be that any post-2014 U.S. mission will be smaller in scale and ambition."

Tuesday's call was the first known contact between Obama and Karzai since last June, underscoring the White House's frustration with the Afghan leader's refusal to sign the security agreement. The White House has repeatedly said it would not leave American troops in Afghanistan without the agreement.

Defense Secretary Chuck Hagel called Obama's order to the Pentagon "a prudent step" given the likelihood that Karzai will not sign an agreement. However, he said the Pentagon would also continue to make plans for a possible U.S. mission in Afghanistan after this year, which would focus on counter-terrorism and training Afghan security forces.

Hagel will discuss the future of the U.S.-led mission in Afghanistan with NATO leaders during a summit this week in Brussels.

The U.S. currently has about 33,600 troops in Afghanistan, down from a high of 100,000 in 2010. Obama has been weighing options from the Pentagon that would keep as many as 10,000 troops in the country after this year, contingent on the security agreement. However, some White House officials are believed to support keeping a smaller troop presence.

The longer the decision takes, the more expensive and risky the troop drawdown will become. With less time to move troops and equipment, the military will have to fly assets out rather than use cheaper ground transportation.

If the security pact is never signed, the Pentagon's biggest challenge will be closing large military facilities, including the Bagram and Kandahar air bases. Shutting down a massive base typically it takes about 10 months, but military officials said they are prepared to do it in a much shorter — although far more expensive — period if necessary. Military officials said commanders would still like to have about six months to shut the facilities down. If there is no security agreement by late summer, the officials said closing the bases by the end of the year becomes far more difficult.

http://www.newsmax.com/Newsfront/obama-pentagon-troops-afghanistan/2014/02/25/id/554632#ixzz2uMnFrbeK

Mawse

• Getbig IV
Re: Obama to Pentagon: Prepare for No Troops in Afghanistan
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2014, 12:19:54 PM »
What his mouth breathing followers ignore is that those troops are going to be replaced by tens of thousands of private contractors.. each costing 10 x as much per year as a soldier.

headhuntersix

• Getbig V
  • Our forefathers would be shooting by now
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2014, 01:23:16 PM »
No..no their not. We're pulling the plug if this deal gets shit canned. Contractors are a cheaper investment to the US Gov...that shipped sailed in 2010-11.
L

Mawse

• Getbig IV
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2014, 06:00:10 PM »
I r confuse, are you saying they'll pull out the contractors too? I find that hard to believe, the average democrat has selective vision when it comes to contractors vs soldiers and there's thousands of them over there.

Just like they did for Gitmo 2.0 in Bagram, the prison never mentioned in the MSM. I can see why they'd be closing that as afghans are running it + releasing Taliban, and Karzai pouts about it a lot.

headhuntersix

• Getbig V
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2014, 07:34:49 PM »
Yeah...the vast majority of contractors aren't PMC's. If there are no US troops...in affect an entire NATO pull out, there won't be any bases. KAF will close in the south and BAF or Bagram will shut down in the north. There won't be any top cover for a PMC to operate...or really a mission. All the maintenance, facilities and chow hall workers will head back to wherever they come from. KBR and Supreme will pack up shop and head home. Supreme runs the NATO dining facilities...and they suck. I'm not sure what's left as far as equipment but as that gets out through Pakistan, all those guys will leave. During my last tour..my unit controlled all the maintenance contractors for the country...5k plus another 5k doing other shit. We cut them by 2,500..thats 2012. I think Aegis has a security contract for the mini green zone outer security cordon in Kabul. The first time they get into a running gun battle in downtown Kabul and there are no Apaches' and US troops flooding the area...they'll pack that shit in as well. When we pull out...I think you have 6-9 months before Taliban Honda's are rolling in Kabul. I'm not saying this is the end of the PMC's....its just going to be different for them.
L

240 is Back

• Getbig V
  • Complete website for only $300- www.300website.com
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2014, 09:37:19 PM »
who gives a shit anymore?    They have a nice new govt, probably as corrupt as the last.  just get our troops home and move on.  If they get rowdy, drop bombs from the sky and save the $ and lives.

headhuntersix

• Getbig V
« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2014, 08:36:14 AM »
Nobody cares...that's why we're leaving but its not easy to leave land locked country.
L

Mawse

• Getbig IV
« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2014, 12:42:04 PM »
really should have just gone in and whacked OBL with SF, dropped enough JDAMs to make a big firework show for CNN watchers and mined the Pakistan border (thanks, Canada) .. then left them to fend for themselves

what a clusterfuck

I'm surprised the dem chickenhawks aren't using the 'don't you want little girls and gay people to have rights?' line to keep the troops there nation building

headhuntersix

• Getbig V
« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2014, 01:40:07 PM »
I think most of the military agree's. Things were fine when this was a SOF war....Giving the nutbags a massive conventional target to slow bleed was stupid. These people don't want wells and schools...they just want to get back to killing each other. We're in the way.
L