Author Topic: Obama: Corruption, Deception, Dishonesty, Deceit and Promises Broken  (Read 221914 times)

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • Doesnt lie about lifting.
Re: Thugbama: Reckless, Incompetent, Ignorant. Inept, Criminal, & Treasonous
« Reply #1400 on: February 27, 2012, 02:47:51 PM »
Green – the Color of Rotten Corruption
Townhall.com ^ | February 27, 2012 | Bob Beauprez

As if it were his private stash of fun-money, Barack Obama set aside $80 billion of the Stimulus boondoggle to artificially pump up the green-energy industry through a DOE administered program of grants and loans.  When three of the companies that received funding, Solyndra, Beacon Power, and Ener1, each declared bankruptcy in rapid succession, a rotten stench started to waft from the DOE and the White House.

It quickly became apparent that there were numerous close connections between many of these heavily government funded businesses and Obama campaign supporters and operatives.    While the cronyism and corruption appeared extensive, until recently no one had quantified the total extent of the cronyism and corruption that existed. 

Thanks to some extensive research by the Washington Post, the magnitude of the scandal is now better defined.  Here’s what the WaPo found:

$3.9 billion in federal grants and financing flowed to 21 companies backed by firms with connections to five Obama Administration staffers and advisers.

Sanjay Wagle, a venture capitalist and Barack Obama fundraiser in 2008, went to work at the DOE in 2009, and guided $2.4 billion to companies in which his former firm, Vantage Point Venture, had invested. 
David Danielson, formerly of General Catalyst, joined a DOE mission to fund breakthrough technologies and directed $105 million to three General Catalyst portfolio firms.

David Sandalow was a highly compensated consultant in 2008 for Good Energies, a venture capital firm, before becoming an Assistant Secretary at DOE in 2009.  SolarReserve, a Good Energies investment, received a $737 million DOE loan.

Steven Spinner, got a job as an “adviser” at DOE after having been a campaign fundraising bundler for Obama.  Spinner’s wife worked for the global law firm, Wilson Sonsini Goodrich & Rosati  that specializes in clean technology companies.  WSG&R clients garnered $2.75 billion in DOE loans, including the now infamous $535 million for Solyndra. 

Steve Westly – an Obama campaign fundraising bundler in 2008 and 2012 – was the founder of the venture capital firm, the Westly Group, and an adviser to DOE Secretary Steven Chu.  Westly Group portfolio companies received $600 million in funding through the green-loan program.

David Prend is Managing General Partner at the Boston based venture capital firm, Rockport Capital Partners.   Prend also chaired a solar technologies advisory panel for the DOE, and had close ties with Energy Czar, Carol Browner.  The DOE pumped $550 million into various Rockport Partners supported firms, not including Solyndra in which Rockport Partners was a 7.5% stakeholder.  The DOE also funded electric-car battery company, Ener1 – a partner with Rockport portfolio car company Think - with a $118 million loan. 

Within weeks of Obama’s inaugural in 2009 and with the $800 billion Stimulus already passed, the green-energy community was euphoric that the new administration would soon be passing out billions like candy at a Fourth of July parade.  Wagle participated in a seminar in San Francisco in February to coach and encourage green businesses to line up at the federal trough.  In spite of the economic woes already in full swing, Wagle explained that, “The recession has actually accelerated green policies” by creating an excuse for the Stimulus – the Mother Lode for funding virtually anything that was some shade of green.  Wagle invoked Rahm Emanuel’s dictum that “a crisis is a horrible thing to waste,” and explained that Obama was going to take full advantage of the economic pain engulfing the nation to fund green technologies. 

Holly Kaufman, CEO of San Francisco based Environment and Enterprise Strategies, also participated in the Green-Biz conference with Wagle.   Reminding the attendees that George W. Bush was gone and with green-loving Democrats now in control of Congress and the White House, Kaufman said they should now “get used to success” – a quote she attributed to her good friend Nancy Pelosi. After what green-enthusiasts believe were eight years of famine, the money spigot was about to be opened full throttle according to Kaufman.

The White House pretends that it is merely coincidental that many of their political appointees were closely connected to companies that were the beneficiaries of millions and billions.  These are “all professionals with expertise in clean-energy science, finance or both – but none of them play a decisional role in DOE awards and none of them are in positions of regulating the industry,” according to White House spokesman Eric Schultz.

But a former employee at the Office of Management and Budget, David Gold, told the Washington Post that explanation doesn’t hold up.  “To believe those quiet conversations don’t happen in the hallways…is naïve,” Gold said.  “When you’re putting this kind of pressure on an organization to make decisions on very big dollars, there’s increased likelihood that political connections will influence things.”   

The one hour presentation that included Wagle and Kaufman at the 2009 San Francisco Green-Biz conference was rich with jokes and jabs over the departure of the Bush Administration.  Kaufman was elated that unlike Bush, the Obama Administration was “committed to science and transparency.”  That might be what it’s called in San Francisco or in Obama’s hometown of Chicago.  But, in most of the rest of the country – after three years of this stuff – we recognize it for what it is….old fashioned greed, cronyism and corruption. 

Our hope is that the various congressional committees and government agencies investigating the DOE green loan scandal will doggedly do their job.  After the waste of billions, the taxpayers at least deserve to know the truth of just how corrupt our government has become.

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
Re: Obama: The 1st Rosemarys' Baby POTUS
« Reply #1401 on: February 28, 2012, 07:41:32 PM »
Free Republic
Browse · Search   Pings · Mail   News/Activism
Topics · Post Article
Skip to comments.

Chicago's Cardinal Warns Of An ObamaCare Gulag
Investor's Business ^ | 2/28/12 | Staff
Posted on February 28, 2012 10:28:15 PM EST by Nachum

First Amendment: The ex-head of the U.S. Conference of Catholic Bishops compares the administration take on freedom of worship to the Soviet Union's and says its contraceptive mandate will force church hospitals to close. On the first Sunday of Lent, Chicago's Francis Cardinal George issued his version of the letter issued by the USCCB he recently led. It shredded assurances by the administration that things could be worked out so that religious freedom would not be impaired and painted a bleak future that just might be the administration's intent. Going a bit further than his peers

(Excerpt) Read more at news.investors.com ...

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #1402 on: February 28, 2012, 07:42:57 PM »
GM likely to spend $500M on worker bonuses (GM still owes billions to taxpayers for "bailout")
msnbc ^ | 2/28/2012 | TOM KRISHER /AP
Posted on February 28, 2012 10:25:54 PM EST by tobyhill

General Motors is likely to spend more than $500 million on employee bonuses and profit-sharing based on the company's performance last year.

GM, which made a record profit in 2011, will pay bonuses of at least $182 million to white-collar workers such as engineers, car designers and managers on Wednesday, according to a formula obtained by The Associated Press. That's on top of $332.5 million in profit-sharing it already agreed to pay factory workers.

In the past, such payments have drawn criticism from those who believe the government shouldn't have bailed out GM and Chrysler. But GM, which made a record $7.6 billion last year, says the payments are needed to hold on to skilled employees. It's also keeping fixed costs down by giving bonuses instead of annual pay raises.

The bonuses will go to most of the company's 26,000 salaried employees, many of whom make more than $100,000 a year. The bonuses will range from 8 percent of base pay to 14 percent, according to the formula.

The company would not release the percentages, nor would it say how much it will spend on the bonuses. But it's likely the average bonus for salaried employees will be more than the $7,000 that each of GM's 47,500 factory workers will get in March.

(Excerpt) Read more at msnbc.msn.com ...

Thugbama at it again.   FUBO tou disgraceful ghetto leech!!!

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #1403 on: February 28, 2012, 07:45:41 PM »
http://www.conservativesnetwork.com/2012/02/28/obama-imposes-his-religion-to-push-his-agenda-video

FUBO you disgusting communist pofs anti zmerician zealot!!!!   

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #1404 on: February 29, 2012, 08:13:45 AM »
Al-Arabiya: US in talks to swap jihad terror Sheikh Omar Abdel Rahman & 49 others for 19 Americans held in Egypt

http://www.jihadwatch.org/2012/02/al-arabiya-us-in-talks-to-swap-jihad-terror-sheikh-omar-abdel-rahman-for-19-americans-held-in-egypt.html

About to get a Get-Out-of-Jail-Free Card?

Al-Arabiya is reporting, in Arabic only so far, that the U.S. is talking with the Egyptian government to free the blind Sheikh and 49 other Egyptians currently imprisoned in the U.S. in exchange for the freedom of the 19 Americans the Egyptians are holding.

The blind Sheikh, Omar Abdel Rahman, is in prison for his role in masterminding the 1993 World Trade Center jihad terror bombing. If he is freed, it will be the apotheosis of Obama's policy of appeasement toward the Islamic world.

"Omar Abdel Rahman at the head of Egyptian-American swap deal," from al-Arabiya (Arabic), February 28 (thanks to Emad). This is my translation from the Arabic:

The Egyptian government has started real action to respond to a U.S. offer offering to release 50 Egyptians in American prisons, including Sheikh Omar Abdel Rahman, in return for the release of 19 Americans accused of foreign funding of nongovernmental organizations, as confirmed by Major General Mohamed Hani Zaher, an expert on military research and the fight against international terrorism.

Zaher told the newspaper that the Egyptians need to exploit the weak U.S. position, especially after the conviction of their nationals on charges affecting Egypt's sovereignty over its territory, and not to allow this deal to take place without the agreement of the U.S. administration to release more than 500 Egyptian prisoners in U.S. custody; the Egyptian Foreign Ministry does not know anything about them.

He added that the Egyptian Foreign Ministry asked the Egyptian Embassy in Washington for a list of Egyptian prisoners in the United States of America, and the Egyptian consulate there had already started procedures to account for the number of Egyptian prisoners and detainees in custody on a number of charges in the United States, he said, adding that among the prisoners in the Consulate files was Sheikh Omar Abdel Rahman, the Mufti of Al-Gama'a al-Islamiyya (the Islamic Group) and currently imprisoned in America....

Posted by Robert on February 28, 2012 11:40 PM | 34 Comments
del.icio.us | Digg this | Email | FaceBook | Twitter | Print | Tweet

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #1405 on: February 29, 2012, 08:23:04 AM »
U.S. pays for Indonesians' master's degrees
Obama expanding program with $16-$20 million

Published: 22 hours ago (TRADE AID MONITOR) — A program providing training and scholarships to Indonesian professionals is about to be expanded by the Obama Administration, which hopes to increase the “number of Indonesian future leaders holding advanced degrees (Masters) from U.S. and in-country institutions of higher education.”

According to a Statement of Work (SOW) posted today to the FedBizOpps database, the U.S. Agency for International Development (USAID) is seeking contractors capable of carrying out Phase II of the “Program to Extend Scholarships and Training to Achieve Sustainable Impacts,” or PRESTASI.

The selected vendor will continue to assist existing Phase I participants while identifying and placing new candidates for the extended program—which will cost an additional $16-$20 million.

Read the full story ›

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #1406 on: February 29, 2012, 07:36:53 PM »
Good Grief… Now Team Obama Wants to Blow Up 3 Dams In the Name of Junk Science
Posted by Jim Hoft on Wednesday, February 29, 2012, 5:37 AM

Just when you thought things couldn’t get any weirder…
The Obama Administration now wants to demolish three dams in northern California to supposedly save the salmon… But the whole reason to support the move was based on shoddy and inconclusive scientific data.

Dam fish

Greenheads say the dams threaten salmon. They want the dams gone and Obama agrees.

Now a scientist is challenging the junk science behind the decision.
The City Square reported:

Against intense local opposition, the Obama administration wants to demolish three dams on the Klamath River in Siskiyou County, California. Low-cost clean hydroelectricity as well as water for irrigation would be lost if the dams were removed. Removal of the dams would also cause chaos for ranchers, homeowners, and small business who live and work in the downstream of the dams. Despite this, Interior Secretary Ken Salazar has been trying to force dam removal for the supposed benefit of some salmon and steelhead spawning habitat.

Now, Prof. Paul R. Houser of George Mason University alleges that the administration’s plan is all based on junk science. In his role as science advisor to the Bureau of Reclamation, he was closely involved in the project. He has filed a formal complaint (PDF) alleging “intentional falsification” and “intentional . . . compromise of scientific and scholarly integrity.”

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #1407 on: March 03, 2012, 07:46:03 AM »
Free Republic
Topics · Post Article
Skip to comments.

Obama: Sin is what doesn't match 'my values'
SRN News.com ^ | March 2, 2012 | Michael Foust / Baptist Press
Posted on March 3, 2012 10:28:31 AM EST by Gritty

The one-hour interview by Cathleen Falsani was conducted when Obama was running for U.S. Senate (2004)...

Among Obama's most intriguing answers, he says he believes there are many paths to God. His answers on heaven and sin, though, have drawn the most discussion:

FALSANI: "Do you believe in heaven?"

OBAMA: "Do I believe in the harps and clouds and wings?"

FALSANI: "A place spiritually you go to after you die?"

OBAMA: "What I believe in is that if I live my life as well as I can, that I will be rewarded. I don't presume to have knowledge of what happens after I die. But I feel very strongly that whether the reward is in the here and now or in the hereafter, the aligning myself to my faith and my values is a good thing. When I tuck in my daughters at night and I feel like I've been a good father to them, and I see in them that I am transferring values that I got from my mother and that they're kind people and that they're honest people, and they're curious people, that's a little piece of heaven."

FALSANI: "Do you believe in sin?"

OBAMA: "Yes."

FALSANI: "What is sin?"

OBAMA: "Being out of alignment with my values."

FALSANI: "What happens if you have sin in your life?"

OBAMA: "I think it's the same thing as the question about heaven. In the same way that if I'm true to myself and my faith that that is its own reward; when I'm not true to it, it's its own punishment."

Obama said he is a Christian but that he also draws beliefs from other religions.

(Excerpt) Read more at srnnews.townhall.com ...

WTF! 

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #1408 on: March 08, 2012, 09:57:59 AM »
The Influence Industry: Obama gives administration jobs to some big fundraisers

By T.W. Farnam, Published: March 7

http://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/the-influence-industry-obama-gives-administration-jobs-to-some-big-fundraisers/2012/03/06/gIQA9y3txR_print.html

Big donors considering whether to work the phones raising money for President Obama’s reelection campaign might consider the fate of his 2008 bundlers. Many of them, it turns out, won plum jobs in his administration.

Obama campaigned on what he called “the most sweeping ethics reform in history” and has frequently criticized the role of money in politics. That hasn’t stopped him from offering government jobs to some of his biggest bundlers, volunteer fundraisers who gather political contributions from other rich donors.

More than half of Obama’s 47 biggest fundraisers, those who collected at least $500,000 for his campaign, have been given administration jobs. Nine more have been appointed to presidential boards and committees.

At least 24 Obama bundlers were given posts as foreign ambassadors, including in Finland, Australia, Portugal and Luxembourg. Among them is Don Beyer, a former Virginia lieutenant governor who serves as ambassador to Switzerland and Liechtenstein.

“In filling these posts, the administration looks for the most qualified candidates who represent Americans from all walks of life,” said White House spokesman Eric Schultz. “Being a donor does not get you a job in this administration, nor does it preclude you from getting one.”

It is a time-honored tradition to reward political supporters with administration jobs, ambassadorships in particular. And Obama’s administration falls in line with the previous one in terms of the share of ambassadors who are political appointees rather than career Foreign Service officers.

The Foreign Service Act of 1980, however, states that “contributions to political campaigns should not be a factor in the appointment of an individual as a chief of mission.”

Obama has appointed 59 ambassadors who were not career Foreign Service officers, and of those, 40 percent were bundlers.

“We think that the pendulum has swung a bit too far toward the patronage side of things,” said Susan Johnson, president of the American Foreign Service Association, which represents career officers.

Not all political appointees have been bad ambassadors, Johnson said, but some have been less qualified, making them “costly in terms of advancing and protecting our interests and costly for the taxpayers.”

Obama has appointed campaign bundlers to a range of other jobs as well. Attorney General Eric H. Holder Jr. was a bundler, raising at least $50,000, as was Julius Genachowski, the chairman of the Federal Communications Commission, who raised at least half a million dollars.

Obama hired bundler Steve Spinner as a liaison in the Energy Department. According to internal e-mails turned over in a congressional investigation, Spinner pressed for staff members to finalize a government loan for Solyndra, the now-shuttered solar company in which another campaign bundler was a major investor. Spinner, according to the Obama administration, did not make any decisions affecting Solyndra.

At least two of Obama’s bundler-ambassadors have had rocky tenures, according to reports from the State Department inspector general.

Nicole Avant, a music industry executive who raised at least $500,000, served as ambassador to the Bahamas until November.

The inspector general wrote that her tenure was part of “an extended period of dysfunctional leadership and mismanagement, which has caused problems throughout the embassy.” The report said Avant spent roughly 40 percent of her time out of the country over a two-year period.

In an interview, Avant said that she inherited an embassy with management problems and that her travel was not out of line.

“Part of my job as a U.S. ambassador was to travel,” she said.

Avant is now helping the Obama campaign raise money from donors in Hollywood.

Luxembourg Ambassador Cynthia Stroum, a Seattle venture capitalist who raised $500,000 for Obama, was also criticized in an inspector general’s report, which said she sent her staff on a house-hunting mission, billed the government for bedding after being told she couldn’t and was “keenly interested” in the materials used for remodeling two bathrooms in her residence.

“Most employees describe the ambassador as aggressive, bullying, hostile, and intimidating,” inspectors wrote of Stroum.

Stroum did not return messages seeking comment.

She was replaced by another bundler, Robert Mandell, a Florida real estate developer who raised between $200,000 and $500,000 for Obama’s campaign.

Statistics kept by the American Foreign Service Association show that certain posts are favored for political appointees. In recent decades, many European capitals, for example, have been staffed by political appointees more than 70 percent of the time. A representative of the association called those the “well-known sumptuous posts.”

Staff writer Carol Leonnig contributed to this report.

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
Re: Obama: Corruption, Deception, Dishonesty, Deciet and Promises Broken
« Reply #1409 on: March 09, 2012, 09:54:35 AM »
Obama Will Make Taxpayers Guarantee Mortgages Without Checking Borrowers' Incomes or Employment
CNS News ^ | March 7, 2012 | Fred Lucas

CNSNews.com) – Wth no authorization from Congress, President Barack Obama has announced that his administration--through the Federal Housing Administration--will insure refinanced mortgages for 2 to 3 million borrowers without verifying their income or even if they hold a job, according to the Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD).

Obama announced his latest mortgage program at a White House news conference on Tuesday.

Any American with a mortgage insured by the Federal Housing Administration (FHA) endorsed on or before May 31, 2009 and who is current with their mortgage payments would qualify, according to HUD.

No additional underwriting, or examining the verification of income, employment status or creditworthiness, will be done.

“Basically that’s because they already have an FHA loan and that’s just refinancing the same loan,” HUD spokesman Lemar C. Wooley told CNSNews.com.

Wooley further explained in an e-mail, “Even if their circumstances have changed, they are still managing to be current on the original higher priced mortgage, so that’s the proof to the FHA that they can handle the lower payments.”

“The streamline refinance process is only available for FHA-insured mortgages that are performing – the borrower is paying the mortgage,” Wooley said. He added, “By not requiring verification of income and other underwriting requirements, FHA reduces the cost of the transaction, as well as the time it takes – all to the mutual advantage of the borrower, the lender and FHA.”

Underwriting is generally done for both initial mortgages and refinancing, said Reed Piano, managing director of the National Association of Mortgage Underwriters. He said the normal mortgage underwriting process checks “employment verification, income verification, analysis or thorough examination of a borrower’s creditworthiness based on a lender’s requirements, any federal or state requirements.”

When an institution does the underwriting for a mortgage, it is "validating the entire process. They are validating the appraisal, the title, the credit, income verification, pretty much everything from A-to-Z and they’re seeing if the file is good and meets the requirements,” Piano told CNSNews.com.

The White House estimates 2 million to 3 million FHA borrowers are eligible. “While it is always difficult to estimate participation in these programs, this will result in significant monthly savings for hundreds of thousands of families,” a White House news release said.

“Today we’re taking it a step further--we are cutting by more than half the refinancing fees that families pay for loans ensured by the Federal Housing Administration,” Obama said at the press conference on Tuesday. “That’s going to save the typical family in that situation an extra $1,000 a year, on top of the savings that they’d also receive from refinancing. That would make refinancing even more attractive to more families. It’s like another tax cut that will put more money in people’s pockets. We’re going to do this on our own. We don’t need congressional authorization to do it.”

Banks issuing loans to borrowers who could not afford them led to the housing crisis in 2008.

Asked if a lack of underwriting requirements for this refinance program could create similar problems, Piano, with the National Association of Mortgage Underwriters, said it was too early to know.

“There’s always a possibility that it could create problems. Lenders need to be always cautiously optimistic,” Piano said.

“It’s a little too new to know what the president’s plan is going to entail,” Piano said. “From an underwriter’s perspective, they’re kind of the last person in the process. They’re going to determine ultimately if the loan is going to get approved. As long as the underwriter is doing their job, that’s going to help in the process. But again, they’re following whatever regulations and requirements are already set forth. If requirements are low, one has to be reasonably cautiously optimistic that it doesn’t present problems in the future.”

The FHA fees will be cut to encourage more people to refinance while interests, now, are very low. The FHA currently charges an upfront mortgage insurance premium of 1 percent of the balance each year, which will be lowered to .01 percent, according to the White House. Further, there is an annual fee of 1.15 percent for each year of the refinancing, which will be cut to 0.55 percent.

HUD estimates the program will save the FHA-insured borrower about $3,000 per year -- ($1000 of which will come from the lower refinancing fees mentioned by President Obama) -- or $250 per month.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #1410 on: March 09, 2012, 06:42:06 PM »
Free Republic
Topics · Post Article
Skip to comments.

Feds to stop funding Texas women's health program
Associated Press ^ | March 9, 2012
Posted on March 9, 2012 9:33:16 PM EST by Free ThinkerNY

The federal government will stop funding a Texas health program that serves 130,000 low-income women because of a state law that bars abortion-affiliated clinics from getting public money, a top U.S. health official said Friday.

The federal money, which covers 90 percent of the state's $40 million program, will be phased out between May and September because the law violates federal regulations requiring that women have a choice in medical care, Health and Human Services Secretary Kathleen Sebelius said during a trip to Houston.

(Excerpt) Read more at baytownsun.com ...

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #1411 on: March 13, 2012, 03:06:17 AM »
Free Republic
Topics · Post Article
Skip to comments.

Barack Obama-the Traveling Salesman
Townhall.com ^ | March 12, 2012 | Lurita Doan
Posted on March 12, 2012 8:04:02 AM EDT by Kaslin

During the past year, Barack Obama has attended over 100 fundraisers. Even in a cynical, political town, such as Washington, DC Obama is racking up some staggering numbers, with time spent out of the office leading the list.

We are a generation that is used to executives who work outside of the office using air travel, telework, video conferencing, off-site, motivational conferences, international, simulcast product launches and a host of other 21st century management techniques to enhance a worker’s performance. But in this age of out of the office “productivity” activities, the average American is a mere piker compared to Barack Obama.

Peter Drucker, the management guru, once said that an effective CEO spends his time on an organization’s priorities because “time is the scarcest resource of the manager. If it is not managed, nothing else can be managed.“

Few executives seem to spend as much time out of office as of Barack Obama, but with the recent Chapter 11 filing for bankruptcy by Fuller Brush, thoughts about door-to-door traveling salesman immediately brought Barack Obama to mind.

Consider: Barack Obama has played over 90 rounds of golf in the past 36 months, attended over 250 fundraisers (100 of them in the past 12 months),and taken 78 days of vacation.

The Presidency of the United States is, arguably, the most difficult job on the planet. Certainly, Americans want a president that is refreshed, rested and capable of making sound judgment calls on the complex issues of the day, but Barack Obama has taken more than just a few days off; he’s taken them at great cost (literally) to the America people.

In the past year, Obama has done 20 fundraisers in California alone, traveling via Air Force One at a cost of approximately $180,000 per hour flying time. While several of the fundraisers occurred on the same trip, even the President of the United States can’t change the basic rules of physics, so, Obama, on Air Force One, will still require approximately 5 hours to fly to California and 5 hours to return from California.

A modest cost estimate might show that the10 hours of air time costs, alone, for a round-trip fundraiser in California is upward of $1.8 million. Then, consider the sheer number of trips made by Barack Obama, and Americans can see that Obama’s fundraisers in California cost the American taxpayer anywhere from $7 million dollars to $30million dollars –and that’s just the travel costs to California fundraising events. Imagine then, the cost of traveling to the other 80 fundraisers this past year.

If Americans consider the President’s time spent playing golf, those numbers are also startling. A round of golf, where the course has been cleared (because he’s the President and because of security) might be able to finish in about 3 hours. Of course, usually Obama golfs in the presence of hundreds of spectators such as occurred in Nantucket this past summer or in Hawaii over Christmas—so assume in those cases that the play is a bit slower. In general, though, the average time to play a round of golf is approximately 4.5 hours. If Americans do the math, then 90 rounds of golf, averaging 4.5 hours equals about 405 hours spent golfing and several dozens more hours traveling to golf courses to play..

Then there are Obama’s vacation days. (Now, hopefully some of the golfing occurred during Obama’s vacation days—though Obama often counts golf as a work day since he golfs with other politicos.) During the past three years, Obama has taken about 78 days of vacation. Most American workers work, on average, about 2000 hours annually. Obama’s 78 days of vacation equal approx. 1872 hours, so Obama has spent almost one year of his three years in office on vacation.

And, as always, there is the travel to get to the fundraising, golfing and vacationing.

What becomes clear is that Barack Obama is traveling around—a lot—selling himself, and trying to garner perks, privileges and a second term in office, but very little work that benefits the average American taxpayer seems to be getting done with our taxpayer dollars.

It’s no surprise that President Obama rarely meets with his Cabinet—he doesn’t have time—he’s traveling. It’s no surprise that Obama has little understanding of the complexity of current, American political issues since Obama rarely meets with the opposition. Obama doesn’t have time, he’s traveling.

Consider: three years is 1096 days. Even by the most modest of estimates, with over 250 fundraiser, 90 rounds of golf and 78 vacation days, Obama has spent 40% of that time pleasure-seeking and fundraising.

Is it any wonder that Obama has no understanding of the struggles of the small business owner who spends 14-hour days, six or seven days a week trying to grow a business? The struggles of the small business owner who is being crushed under the Obama Administration’s excessive regulatory stranglehold and who has to use his personal savings to finance business growth, who has to use his home as collateral to gain access to capital and who hasn’t had a vacation in five years has more in common with aliens from outer space than with Barack Obama.

Our nation is facing big problems, and we need folks willing to work now to solve these problems now. Delaying hard decisions is a sign of weakness and will surely lead to failure. So, it’s a bit scary when Drucker warns managers against ignoring fiscal priorities in favor of “a grandiose future”, as Obama seems to have done.

Golfing. Traveling. Fundraising. Vacation. Golfing, and then more fundraising. And, oh yes, vacation. Obama has made his priorities clear to Americans. Obama is all about re-election, pleasure and re-election—as long as it can continue to be done at the expense of the American taxpayer.

TOPICS: Culture/Society; Editorial; Politics/Elections; Click to Add Topic
KEYWORDS: barackobama; conman; fundraising; obama; obamagolf; shyster; travel; Click to Add Keyword

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #1412 on: March 13, 2012, 07:28:45 AM »
Regulation Nation: New study finds Obama’s regs cost $46 billion a year

Mon, 2012-03-12 16:39  Some 10,215 new federal regulations from the Obama administration are costing consumers, businesses and the economy overall $46 billion annually, more than five times the regulatory price tag of former President Bush in his first three years in office. Worse: just implementing those regulations had a one-time additional cost of $11 billion, according to a Heritage Foundation analysis provided to Washington Secrets.

Ironically, Bush instituted more regulations, 10,674, but they cost just $8.1 billion annually, said the Heritage report, titled “Red Tape Rising: Obama and Regulation at the Three Year Mark.” It will be released Tuesday.

The analysis backs ups complaints from the U.S. Chamber of Commerce and other business groups that the president’s regulations are stalling the economy and employment growth. It also calls into question Obama’s promise to put the breaks on new regulations and his State of the Union bragging about issuing less red tape than Bush.

The fact is, said Heritage’s review, hundreds more costly regulations are coming, especially those targeting energy companies and Wall Street. They threaten “to further weaken an anemic economy and job creation,” said Heritage’s James Gattuso and Diane Katz.

While there is no central agency that collects regulation information, Katz and Gattuso mined the Federal Register and other government databases to get their numbers. What they found was that while Obama has bragging rights to claiming he’s put into place fewer regulations than Bush, his cost far more.

The $46 billion price tag calculated by Heritage is staggering, as are those hitting the economy the hardest. Just consider the regulations tagged as “major” for costing $100 million or more. Obama’s team issued 106 on private industry since taking office, compared to 28 by Bush. Last year alone, Obama’s administration issued 32 major regulations impacting everything from clothes dryers, to toy labels.

Heritage said that most expensive regulation of 2011 was from the Environmental Protection Agency, which added five major rules costing $4 billion. Among them, stricter limits on industrial and commercial boilers and incinerators, for a cost of $2.6 billion annually for compliance.

The regulations are also hitting workers through higher fees on items such as checking accounts.

“While the president cannot have it both ways: having identified over-regulation as a problem, he must take real and significant steps to rein it in. At the same time, Congress--which shares much of the blame for excessive regulation--must establish critical mechanism to ensure that unnecessary and excessively costly regulations are not imposed on the U.S,. economy and Americans,” said Gattuso and Katz. “Without decisive steps, the costs of red tape will continue to grow, and the economy, and average Americans, will be the victims.”

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #1413 on: March 13, 2012, 12:06:09 PM »
Obama Transparency Scaled Back When It Comes to Dinner Wine List

By Margaret Talev - Mar 13, 2012

When British Prime Minister David Cameron visits President Barack Obama this week, one detail may stay bottled up: the labels on the wines the White House pours at the state dinner tomorrow night.

For Obama’s first three state dinners, honoring the leaders of India, Mexico and China, the White House released the name, year and appellation of wines -- all-American -- paired with each course.

Part of a tradition observed by previous presidents, including George W. Bush, that disclosure stopped after Obama’s dinner last year for Chinese President Hu Jintao. One of the wines served on Jan. 19, 2011, was a top-rated 2005 Cabernet Sauvignon from Washington state that originally sold for $115 a bottle and went for as much as $399 by the time of the dinner. The price the White House paid per bottle was not made public.

At the next state dinner, on June 7, 2011, for German Chancellor Angela Merkel, the menu made public by the White House didn’t include details on the wines.

“An American wine will be paired with each course,” stated a note at the bottom of the menu released by the White House. So went as well the menu released for the Korean State Dinner honoring President Lee Myung-Bak on Oct. 13, 2011.

Tyler Colman, who writes the Dr. Vino wine blog and teaches at New York University, said in an interview that the shift in menu protocol may reflect political considerations given the sluggish U.S. economy.

“They’re probably sensitive to displays of wealth at a time when the economy is not firing on all cylinders,” said Colman, whose blog had noted the absence of wines on the German state dinner menu the White House released.

No ‘Picnic’
Still, keeping the wine list under wraps undercuts promotion of U.S. winemakers at a time when markets in developing nations such as China have potential to be “really hot” for U.S. labels because of the rising middle- and upper- income classes, he said.

A state dinner “isn’t a picnic or casual get-together,” and it’s justifiable from diplomatic and trade standpoints for the White House to spend money to showcase fine American wines, Colman said.

Dorothy Gaiter, wine and food editor for the quarterly France Magazine and a former wine columnist for the Wall Street Journal, said Obama was private about his wine preferences before his election.

‘Good for America’
If the Obama White House has decided to stop publicizing which American wines are served at official events, she said, “I don’t understand this. It’s good for America.”

Rick Small is co-owner of the Woodward Canyon winery in Lowden, Washington, whose 2009 Chardonnay was among the wines poured for the German dinner.

He and his wife noticed the shift because they had gotten billing on the menu when their wine was served at a Clinton administration dinner. He said he didn’t know why the practice was changed and that it probably does help the industry overall to have U.S. wines publicized by name.

At the same time, Small said, it’s an honor to be chosen at all. “You’re not going to get pushy about it since they picked your wine,” he said.

The White House declined to comment for this article or to make available Daniel Shanks, the usher who has managed wine selection since the Clinton administration, or social secretary Jeremy Bernard. First Lady Michelle Obama’s office referred questions to the White House press office.

No Disclosure
White House deputy press secretary Josh Earnest declined to disclose which wines were served at the German or Korean state dinners, identify wines from non-state dinners, make menus of past meals available for inspection or answer questions about the shift in practice.

Earnest also declined to say whether the White House would release the names of wines at the Cameron dinner.

The White House has promoted its release of other documents and data. On March 8, it announced a website, www.ethics.gov, to expand access to government databases tracking White House visitor records, lobbying disclosures and Federal Election Commission reports.

“From the day he took office, the president committed his administration to work towards unprecedented openness in government,” said the official statement announcing the site.

At the state dinner for Hu, the 2005 Quilceda Creek Cabernet Sauvignon Columbia Valley from Washington state, one of the wines poured that night, was $115 a bottle at release, the winery’s general manager, John Ware said in an interview.

Turning Point
The wine earned a rare 100-point rating from wine critic Robert Parker. By the time of the White House dinner, Ware said, it sold for $300-$350. It was listed for as much as $399 per bottle, according to wine websites.

Ware said the winery was approached by the White House and asked to choose which of its wines to serve. The price the winery charged the White House was “closer to the $115” than to $399, Ware said, while declining to name the price.

Afterward, he said, the winery’s profile in Asia got a “pretty significant” boost.

The White House selection drew derision.

The day after the Hu dinner, the anti-Obama website Gateway Pundit carried a posting entitled, “Sacrifice Is For the Little People... Obama White House Serves $399 Bottles of Wine at State Dinner.”

Comedian Stephen Colbert said that, given the U.S. debt held by China, the Hu dinner “should have been a sweatpants- potluck with box wine and a sleeve of Oreos.”

Social Secretaries
Other changes were taking place at the White House at the time. Between the Chinese and German state dinners, the White House changed social secretaries, hiring Bernard that February.

Since the start of his presidency, aides also have avoided endorsing specific brands such as which golf clubs Obama favors.

Not all wines served by the administration are shielded. At Vice President Joe Biden’s dinner last month for Chinese Vice President Xi Jinping, the list included a 2010 Sauvignon Blanc and 2009 Cabernet Sauvignon from the Hall winery in California’s Napa Valley. The wines sell for $22.99 and $48.99 per bottle, respectively, on the wine.com website. Vintner Kathryn Hall was U.S. ambassador to Austria during the Clinton administration. She didn’t return calls for comment.

Wine has been regularly served at the Executive Residence since 1800, except from 1877-1881 under President Rutherford B. Hayes, Shanks wrote in 2007 for an article for the Journal of the White House Historical Association.

Kennedy and Nixon
In the 20th century, John F. Kennedy and Richard Nixon were known for their familiarity with French wine. The policy of serving American wine took hold in Lyndon Johnson’s administration, according to an article in last month’s Wine Spectator. Ronald Reagan, a former actor and California governor, raised the profile of his home state’s wines.

Ulises Valdez, 42, of the Valdez Family Winery and Tasting Room in Cloverdale, California, said he is “still celebrating” having his 2008 Silver Eagle Vineyard Chardonnay served at the White House for the Mexico state dinner on May 19, 2010.

Valdez snuck into the U.S., from Mexico, as a teenager and found work picking grapes. He got amnesty during the Reagan administration. Today he owns a vineyard management company and the winery. “This is the beauty of the U.S. --if you’re a hard worker and good and honest you can do it,” he said.

White House menus can be a point of pride and business builder for individual vintners whose wines are chosen.

China Sales ‘Quadrupled’
Kerry Murphy, proprietor of DuMOL Wines in Orinda, California, whose wines have been served at the White House since 2002, said he’s become a collector. “God knows how many menus I have -- I love ’em,” he said.

“I’ve been blessed by the association,” Murphy said. “It sets the wine to high standards,” he said, because the White House “can buy whatever they want.”

His Chardonnays sell for $50-$60 per bottle.

After his 2008 Russian River Chardonnay was served at the Hu dinner, he said, “our sales in China quadrupled.”

“I think that has a lot to do just with exposure from that one dinner,” he said. ’’It makes me feel good because we’ve got some dollars coming back’’ to the U.S. from China. “That’s a patriotic thing in itself.”

To contact the reporter on this story: Margaret Talev in Washington at mtalev@bloomberg.net

To contact the editor responsible for this story: Steven Komarow at skomarow1@bloomberg.net

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #1414 on: March 14, 2012, 11:02:30 AM »
The Daily Outrage: Economic stimulus grant money boosted Massachusetts Elks Club

http://washingtonexaminer.com/opinion/daily-outrage/2012/03/daily-outrage-economic-stimulus-grant-money-boosted-massachusetts-elks

WHAT: Paid its former executive director more than $57,000 from a federal economic stimulus program grant even though he spent most workday afternoons at a local Elks Club.

WHY IT'S AN OUTRAGE: Those economic stimulus grants were supposed to stimulate jobs and work, not Elks and booze.

WHERE TO VENT: U.S. Department of Health and Human Services public affairs office at 202-690-6343.

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #1415 on: March 14, 2012, 08:23:46 PM »
Obama’s Top Campaign Bundlers Among State Dinner Guests
    Email57Smaller FontTextLarger Text|Print

The Camerons and The Obamas arrive for State Dinner

More than three dozen of President Obama’s top re-election campaign financiers are guests at tonight’s White House state dinner in honor of British Prime Minister David Cameron.
They include Hollywood producer Harvey Weinstein, Vogue editor-in-chief Anna Wintour, media mogul Fred Eychaner, Pfizer executive Sally Susman, Stoneyfield Farms president and CEO Gary Hirschberg,  and Microsoft executives Suzi Levine and John Frank.  Several have each raised more than half a million dollars for 2012, according to estimates provided by Obama’s campaign.
All told, 41 of the 364 expected attendees are Obama campaign bundlers, or volunteer fundraisers who give the legal maximum and then gather checks from friends and colleagues who do the same.
The group attending the dinner tonight is responsible for at least $10.7 million of the roughly $250 million Obama and Democrats have amassed for the election cycle so far.
It’s not the first time Obama’s campaign donors have been spotted at a White House state dinner.  In October, at least half a dozen attended the evening in honor of South Korean President Lee Myung-bak.
Here’s the full list of donors attending the dinner tonight, including the range of their contribution and employer, as listed by the Obama campaign:
Gerald Acker, Huntington Woods, MI – $200,000-$500,000 (Goodman Acker PC)
Mark Alderman, Bryn Mawr, PA – $200,000-$500,000 (Cozen & O’Connor)
Jean-Phillipe Austin, Miami, FL – $200,000-$500,000 (Physician)
Matthew Barzun, Louisville, KY – $500,000+ (Brickpath LLC)
Tom and Andrea Bernstein, New York, NY – $500,000+ (Chelsea Piers Mgmt)
Neil Bluhm, Chicago, IL – $200,000-$500,000 (Walton Street Capital)
Wally Brewster, Jr., and Robert Satawake, Chicago, IL – $200,000-$500,000 (General Growth Properties/Keller Williams Realty)
Jim Crown, Chicago, IL – $200,000-$500,000 (Henry Crown & Co)
John Crumpler, Durham, NC – $500,000+ (Hatteras Venture Architects)
Meredith  DeWitt, Harvard, MA – $200,000-$500,000 (Political Consultant)
Fred Eychaner, Chicago, IL – $500,000+ (Newsweb Corp)
Joseph Falk, Miami, FL  – $200,000-$500,000 (Akerman, Senterfitt & Eidson)
Rajiv Kumar Fernando, Chicago, IL – $200,000-$500,000 (Chopper Trading)
John Frank, Bellevue, WA — $500,000+ (Vice President and Deputy General Counsel, Microsoft,)
William Freeman, Nashville, TN – $100,000-$200,000 (Freeman Webb Co)
Lou Frillman, Seattle, WA – $200,000-$500,000 (GVA Marquette Advisors/Financial Designs Ltd)
Anthony Gardner, Washington, DC – $200,000-$500,000 (Palamon Captial Partners)
Chad Griffin, Los Angeles, CA – $100,000-$200,000 (Chad Griffin Consulting)
Samuel Heins and Stacey Mills, Wayzata, MN – $200,000-$500,000 (Heins, Mills & Olson)
Don Hinkle, Tallahassee, FL – $100,000-$200,000 (Hinkle & Foran)
Gary Hirshberg, Concord, NH – $100,000-$200,00 (Stonyfield Farm)
Barry Karas, Los Angeles, CA – $500,000+ (Perlman & Assoc/Actor)
Janet Keller, Laguna Beach, CA – $200,000-$500,000 (Consultant)
Charlie Kireker, Weybridge, VT – $200,000-$500,000 (Twin Birches)
Orin Kramer, New York, NY – $500,000+ (Boston Provident)
Mai Lassiter, Los Angeles, CA – $200,000-$500,000 (Overbrook Entertainment)
Suzi Levine, Seattle, WA – $200,000-$500,000 (Microsoft)
Joe Liemandt, Austin, TX – $100,000-$200,000 (Trilogy Enterprises Inc)
James Murray, Keene, VA – $100,000-$200,000 (Greenbriar Square Property Management)
Susan Ness, Bethesda, MD – $200,000-$500,000 (Susan Ness Strategies)
Michael Monroe Parham, Seattle, WA – $500,000+ (Realnetworks Inc)
Carol Pensky, Washington, DC – $200,000-$500,000 (Retired)
Ellen Richman, Greenwich, CT – $50,000-$100,000 (Richman Group)
John Scully, San Francisco, CA – $50,000-$100,000 (Spo Partners & Co)
Diana Shaw Clark, Washington, DC – $100,000-$200,000 (Writer)
Jay Snyder, New York, NY – $200,000-$500,000 (HBJ Investments)
Sally Susman, New York, NY – $500,000+ (Pfizer Inc)
John and Sandi Thompson, Woodside, CA – $200,000-$500,000 (Fenwick & West)
George Tsunis, Cold Spring Harbor, NY – $200,000-$500,000 (Chartwell Hotels)
Harvey Weinstein, New York, NY – $500,000+ (Weinstein Co)
Anna Wintour, New York, NY — $500,000+ (Editor-in-Chief, Vogue Magazine)
SHOWS: World News

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #1416 on: March 15, 2012, 06:11:25 AM »
REGULATION NATION: New Study Finds Obama Is 'No. 1 Regulator'
By James Rosen

Published March 14, 2012
|

One week after he signed Executive Order No. 13563, mandating that all executive branch agencies “identify and consider regulatory approaches that reduce burdens,” President Obama delivered his 2011 State of the Union Address: “When we find rules that put an unnecessary burden on businesses, we will fix them,” the chief executive declared on Jan. 25, to applause from the joint session of Congress.

Yet over the course of the year that ensued, a new study finds, the Obama administration enacted 32 new “major” regulations – rules that carry an estimated price tag of $100 million or more. These measures stand to cost the U.S. economy $10 billion a year, along with an additional $6.6 billion in first-time implementation costs.

Federal data marshaled in “Red Tape Rising,” a report by the Heritage Foundation, a conservative think tank in Washington, convey an even starker picture of regulatory growth during the Obama administration’s first three years. Since January 2009, 106 new “major” regulations have been enacted, at a total estimated cost of $46 billion, plus almost $11 billion more in implementation costs.

This track record leads the study’s author, Heritage senior fellow James Gattuso, to label President Obama “the No. 1” regulator in American history.

“Now, there is some competition – and competition not just from Democrats, but from Republicans,” Gattuso hastened to add, in an interview with Fox News. “Both of the Bushes engaged in a lot of regulation, if you look at the record. But on present track, President Obama may be the most pro-regulation president we have ever had."

The greatest number of new major regulations issued last year – a full dozen of them – sprang from the massive overhaul of the financial services sector known as “Dodd-Frank,” a law sponsored by then-Democratic Sen. Christopher Dodd of Connecticut and Rep. Barney Frank of Massachusetts and signed into law by Obama.

The most expensive new regulations, however, emanated from the Environmental Protection Agency, which issued four “major” rules costing the U.S. economy an estimated $4 billion a year.

Spending outlays for the nation’s major federal regulatory agencies has grown with breathtaking speed over the last half-century – and under presidents of both parties. Such expenditures totaled $533 million under President Kennedy; reached $7.29 billion by the middle of Jimmy Carter’s on term in office; skyrocketed to $25.49 billion by the end of the 1990s; and are projected at $57.33 billion for the end of this year.

“There's a predisposition among agencies, both under Republican control and Democratic control, to expand regulation,” Gattuso told Fox News. “If you're not doing that, you feel like you're not doing your job.”

Supporters of the Obama White House contend that studies like the Heritage Foundation’s can never quantify the savings amassed when a given regulation does its job: prevents an outbreak of E. coli that would devastate the American beef industry, for example, or averts another oil spill in the Gulf of Mexico, with its catastrophic effects on energy, tourism and other sectors of the economy.

“I think the real question is not how many regulations [President Obama] did, but how good they were, how smart they were,” says Scott Lilly, a veteran of three decades on Capitol Hill who is now a senior fellow at the Center for American Progress, a liberal Washington think tank. “I think [regulation] is driven much more by the events of the times that we live in than it is by the ideology of whoever's in the White House.”

Read more: http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2012/03/14/regulation-nation-new-study-finds-obama-is-no-1-regulator/#ixzz1pBsuzzx1

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #1417 on: March 16, 2012, 09:14:29 PM »
Free Republic
Topics · Post Article
Skip to comments.

White House: Colleges must cover birth control for students
The Hill ^
Posted on March 16, 2012 8:30:55 PM EDT by Sub-Driver

White House: Colleges must cover birth control for students By Sam Baker - 03/16/12 05:14 PM ET

Most universities will have to cover birth control in their students’ health plans, the Obama administration said Friday.

The Health and Human Services Department said student health plans will be treated like employees’ plans, meaning they will have to comply with new requirements under healthcare reform — including the requirement to provide contraception without charging a copay.

The contraception mandate has sparked intense criticism from some religious groups and Republican lawmakers. They say it violates employers’ religious freedoms by forcing them to provide a service they find immoral.

Religious universities will treat their student plans the same as their employees’ plans, administration officials said Friday. That means they will not have to directly offer contraception in their plans, but students and workers will be able to get birth control from their insurance companies without a copay.

Women’s-health groups praised the administration's announcement.

“For many women, especially college students, birth control is not only a health care issue, it is a financial issue. Covering birth control with no co-pays means college students will not have to choose between paying for tuition and books, or paying for basic health care like birth control,” Planned Parenthood Federation of America President Cecile Richards said in a statement.

Religious schools that self-insure, rather than contracting with an insurer, do not have to provide contraception to their students. How the mandate will work for the employees of self-insured religious institutions is still being decided.

HHS outlined three options on Friday and is asking for public comments on whether those ideas are feasible. Under those proposals, third-party administrators — the companies that manage employers’ self-insured plans — would provide contraception, similar to the role that insurers would play for traditionally insured businesses.

The third-party administrators might be asked to pay for the benefit out of other revenue streams, so that religious employers’ money doesn’t directly fund birth control.

HHS also suggested tapping multistate insurance plans to offer contraception for people who work at self-insured religious institutions. Those plans could receive a credit against other fees to help cover the cost of the benefit, administration officials said.

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #1418 on: March 18, 2012, 04:17:29 PM »
Obama’s Triumphal Statist Presidency
Abe Greenwald    | @abegreenwald
03.18.2012 - 12:51 PM

In the March/April issue of the Washington Monthly, Paul Glastris offers a long essay in defense of Barack Obama. Titled, “The Incomplete Greatness of Barack Obama,” it is, in its own way, the clearest and most helpful analysis of the Obama presidency that’s been written so far. Glastris’s main contention is that Obama has “gotten more done in three years than any president in decades.” Yet, “the American public still thinks he hasn’t accomplished anything.” He’s right:

Measured in sheer legislative tonnage, what Obama got done in his first two years is stunning. Health care reform. The takeover and turnaround of the auto industry. The biggest economic stimulus in history. Sweeping new regulations of Wall Street. A tough new set of consumer protections on the credit card industry. A vast expansion of national service. Net neutrality. The greatest increase in wilderness protection in fifteen years. A revolutionary reform to student aid. Signing the New START treaty with Russia. The ending of “don’t ask, don’t tell.”

Glastris has unwittingly created a glossary of radical statism as a defense of Obama. His own words: “legislative tonnage,” “reform,” “takeover,” “biggest stimulus in history,” “sweeping regulations,” “protection,” “vast expansion,” “Net neutrality,” “greatest increase” in still more “protection,” and “revolutionary reform.” To liberals, this is the poetry of paternalism but to the rest of America it’s a nightmare lexicon.

Glastris is equally candid about the long-term impact of these policies. “Some are structured to have modest effects now but major ones later,” he writes. “Others emerged in a crimped and compromised form that, if history is a guide, may well be filled out and strengthened down the road.” In other words, Obama initiatives that look measured or restrained today will only expand and calcify in time. He makes the comparison to FDR’s creation of Social Security. “Only in subsequent decades, as benefits were raised and expanded, did Social Security become the country’s most beloved government program.” Right, and only in decades subsequent to that did it become an unsustainable addiction that we can neither stop nor afford in its present form.

So, the case for Obama’s greatness goes as follows: He came to office with an array of statist notions. He forced “the sheer tonnage” of them upon the country. And he will leave the rest of the leftist dream’s fleshing out to that inexorable statist force-multiplier: time.

You start to see why Obama is okay being thought of as merely ineffective.

As for the foreign policy mentions, it’s a different matter altogether and one that Glastris never really unpacks after that paragraph. But even the administration now understands that its Russia policy is a disaster. And even if you approve the end of “don’t ask, don’t tell,” you must acknowledge that it’s been replaced with the catastrophic Obama-instituted military doctrine of “don’t win, don’t lose.”

Topics: Franklin Delano Roosevelt, Obama administration, Obamacare, Social Security, statism, stimulus
Email Print

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #1419 on: March 19, 2012, 10:31:46 AM »
Firm sells solar panels - to itself, taxpayers pay
by Timothy P. Carney Senior Political Columnist
http://campaign2012.washingtonexaminer.com/article/firm-sells-solar-panels-itself-taxpayers-pay/434251

First Solar is the company. The subsidy came from the Export-Import Bank, which President Obama and Harry Reid are currently fighting to extend and expand. The underlying issue is how Obama's insistence on green-energy subsidies and export subsidies manifests itself as rank corporate welfare.

Here's the road of subsidies these solar panels followed from Perrysburg, Ohio, to St. Clair, Ontario.

First Solar is an Arizona-based manufacturer of solar panels. In 2010, the Obama administration awarded the company $16.3 million to expand its factory in Ohio -- a subsidy Democratic Gov. Ted Strickland touted in his failed re-election bid that year.

Five weeks before the 2010 election, Strickland announced more than a million dollars in job training grants to First Solar. The Ohio Department of Development also lent First Solar $5 million, and the state's Air Quality Development Authority gave the company an additional $10 million loan.

After First Solar pocketed this $17.3 million in government grants and $15 million in government loans, Ex-Im entered the scene.

In September 2011, Ex-Im approved $455.7 million in loan guarantees to subsidize the sale of solar panels to two wind farms in Canada. That means if the wind farm ever defaults, the taxpayers pick up the tab, ensuring First Solar gets paid.

But the buyer, in this case, was First Solar.

A small corporation called St. Clair Solar owned the wind farm and was the Canadian company buying First Solar's panels. But St. Clair Solar was a wholly owned subsidiary of First Solar. So, basically, First Solar was shipping its own solar panels from Ohio to a solar farm it owned in Canada, and the U.S. taxpayers were subsidizing this "export."

First Solar spokesman Alan Bernheimer defended this maneuver, saying this really was an export, pointing out that First Solar paid sales taxes on the transaction.

But this subsidy undermines the arguments for Ex-Im's existence. Ex-Im, whose authorization expires May 31, is supposed to be a job creator, helping U.S. manufacturers beat foreign manufacturers by having U.S. taxpayers backstop the financing.

"It is critical that we encourage more American companies to compete in the global marketplace," Ex-Im Chairman Fred Hochberg said about the First Solar deal, saying the subsidy "will boost Ohio's economy, create hundreds of local jobs and move us closer to President Obama's goal of doubling U.S. exports by the end of 2014."

The implication here is that First Solar was "competing" with foreign solar panel makers in order to sell solar panels -- to First Solar.

This isn't the first time Ex-Im has subsidized companies selling to themselves. In late 2000, for instance, the ill-fated power giant Enron won a $132 million direct-loan package from Ex-Im (that is, from the taxpayers) in order to sell "engineering services & process equipment" to a Venezuelan power company owned 49.25 percent by Enron. Enron was both the buyer and the seller in a 1995 sale to Turkey that Ex-Im financed through a $250 million loan.

Enron's healthy feedings at Ex-Im's trough before its bankruptcy also help poke holes in another Ex-Im defense: that it operates at no cost to taxpayers.

Sure, as long as the foreign buyer pays off the debt, then Ex-Im's loans and guarantees don't increase the deficit. But Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac were profitable for years, too, before they failed and taxpayers had to bail them out. Once foreign governments and foreign companies start defaulting, taxpayers pick up the tab. At least one Enron deal resulted in U.S. taxpayers contributing to the Enron bankruptcy fund. Also, Ex-Im has ended up owning a 747 after Air Nauru failed to make its payments because the island nation's economy -- dependent on seagull droppings -- went under.

This week, First Solar unloaded its St. Clair wind farm to NextEra Energy, and so First Solar's financial troubles don't threaten to put the taxpayer on the hook for this deal. But the Ex-Im subsidy itself was a great case in point as to how national industrial policy pitched in the name of helping the U.S. economy often does nothing to help the broader economy, instead helping only those companies lucky -- or politically connected -- enough to get the handouts.

Obama, Reid and most of the Republican leadership want to reauthorize Ex-Im this month and boost the amount of debt it can have outstanding. The lobbyists at Boeing, the Chamber of Commerce and the National Association of Manufacturers agree. They'll claim Ex-Im is crucial to prosperity. And for a few companies, it is.

Timothy P.Carney, The Examiner's senior political columnist, can be contacted at tcarney@washingtonexaminer.com. His column appears Monday and Thursday, and his stories and blog posts appear on washingtonexaminer.com.

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #1420 on: March 19, 2012, 08:30:39 PM »
Free Republic
Browse · Search   Pings · Mail   Bloggers & Personal
Topics · Post Article
Skip to comments.

No Place to Hide After the 2012 Election
http://noisyroom.net/blog ^ | 3.19.12 | AJ
Posted on March 19, 2012 9:53:22 PM EDT by Whenifhow

This video series presents where we were just five short years ago.

No Place To Hide part 1

No Place To Hide part 2

&feature=related

No Place To Hide part 3

&feature=related

No Place To Hide part 4

&feature=related

The Obama regime and DHS have come a long way since then...

“We Are This Far From A Turnkey Totalitarian State" - Big Brother Goes Live September 2013

http://www.zerohedge.com/news/%E2%80%9Cwe-are-far-turnkey-totalitarian-state-big-brother-goes-live-september-2013

"George Orwell was right. He was just 30 years early.

In its April cover story, Wired has an exclusive report (http://www.wired.com/threatlevel/2012/03/ff_nsadatacenter/all/1) on the NSA's Utah Data Center, which is a must read for anyone who believes any privacy is still a possibility in the United States: "A project of immense secrecy, it is the final piece in a complex puzzle assembled over the past decade. Its purpose: to intercept, decipher, analyze, and store vast swaths of the world’s communications as they zap down from satellites and zip through the underground and undersea cables of international, foreign, and domestic networks.... Flowing through its servers and routers and stored in near-bottomless databases will be all forms of communication, including the complete contents of private emails, cell phone calls, and Google searches, as well as all sorts of personal data trails—parking receipts, travel itineraries, bookstore purchases, and other digital “pocket litter.”... The heavily fortified $2 billion center should be up and running in September 2013." In other words, in just over 1 year, virtually anything one communicates through any traceable medium, or any record of one's existence in the electronic medium, which these days is everything, will unofficially be property of the US government to deal with as it sees fit.

The codename of the project: Stellar Wind"...

An interesting look at Derek Smith; he was the CEO of Choicepoint (as shown in the video). Guess what this globalist is up to these days... global pre-science...

Derek V. Smith

http://geek.net/index.php/about/directors/derek-smith/

Chairman and CEO, Institute of Global Prescience

"Derek Smith is Chairman and CEO of the Institute of Global Prescience, an interdisciplinary non-profit research, education and service organization dedicated to the pursuit of prescience – foreknowledge that anticipates global events and trends that are yet unseen. The Institute seeks to harness the passion of individuals to anticipate issues through clue detection engines that identify inflection points in technological, financial and social systems"...

Smith goes from CEO to futurist

http://www.bizjournals.com/atlanta/stories/2009/04/20/story3.html

"At the institute, students are using computer models to study such topics as whether bandwidth will be able to keep up with the growth of data flow and when the United States might elect its first atheist president.

Other topics include the future of cell phones, obesity, how attitudes will affect climate change and when the world will run out of oil"...

Take a look at the Institute of Global Prescience Board of Directors HERE. (http://www.prescienceintl.com/cti_ab.html) Notice the Federal and state government connections:

 Amy Zimpfer, Regional Deputy Director, EPA

 Anthony Eggert, Senior Policy Advisor, Office of the Chair California Air Resources Board

 Jeffrey Byron, Commissioner, CEC

 Paul Douglas, Supervisor, Renewable Procurement and Resource Planning, California Public Utilities Commission (CPUC)

 Trina Martynowicz, Clean Air Emerging Technologies and West Coast Collaborative, Clean Energy and Climate Change Office, U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA)

Google and PG&E (think ‘SMART Meters’) are also represented.

The Institute of Global Prescience is but one of many, many non-profits, NGO’s and individuals seeking to destroy our country from within.

Is it the intention of American tax-payers to have their hard earned dollars spent on the development of a turnkey Totalitarian State which is in direct violation of our right to privacy under the 4th Amendment? Do Americans understand that current elected officials are facilitating and funding these endeavors with our tax dollars? Will enough Americans wake up, organize and vote the career politicians out of office in November?

The real revolution must take place at the ballot box. Until enough of us can vote against the career politicians who are aiding and abetting the overthrow of our Constitutional Republic, we will have no place to hide once they turn that key. What you do for the 2012 election will determine our fate and that of future generations.

TOPICS: Education; Government; Politics; Society; Click to Add Topic
KEYWORDS: 4thamendment; election; totalitarian; tyranny; Click to Add Keyword
[ Report Abuse | Bookmark ]

1 posted on March 19, 2012 9:53:29 PM EDT by Whenifhow
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | View Replies | Report Abuse]
To: Whenifhow
No Place To Hide part 1

No Place To Hide part 2

&feature=related

No Place To Hide part 3

&feature=related

No Place To Hide part 4

&feature=related

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #1421 on: March 21, 2012, 09:30:49 AM »
Obama to tout green energy ‘investments’ at solar plant with 5 workers that cost taxpayers $54 mil
Nevada Journal ^ | March 21, 2012 | Kyle Gillis

BOULDER CITY, Nev. — President Obama will tout investments in “renewable” energy Wednesday at the local Copper Mountain Solar 1 plant, although the plant has only five full-time employees.

The plant, owned by San Diego-based energy company Sempra, was built in late 2010 at a cost of $141 million. Funding included $42 million in federal-government tax credits and $12 million in tax-rebate commitments from the state of Nevada.

Construction of the plant involved over 300 part-time jobs, but currently only five full-time employees operate the plant, a Sempra spokeswoman confirmed. That comes out to $10.8 million in tax-dollar subsidies per employee. ...

“President Obama's visit to the Solar 1 Facility in Boulder City is the perfect illustration of why the president’s economic policies are such a failure," said Andy Matthews, president of NPRI. “The government has spent over $50 million to ‘create’ five permanent jobs and build a plant producing a product — expensive solar energy — that no one would purchase without a government mandate.

“That’s not a path to a vibrant economy; it’s the road to serfdom."

(Excerpt) Read more at nevadajournal.com ...

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #1422 on: March 22, 2012, 03:07:42 AM »
Obama’s Outrageous DOL Rules Will Restrict Minors From Working on Family Farms – Killing Farm Life
gateway ^ | March 21, 2012, | Jim Hoft
Posted on March 22, 2012 12:40:19 AM EDT by george76

Barack Obama is committed to killing off the family farm – an American tradition.

For generations children and adults have worked together on the family farm. Those days are over.

Senators John Thune (R-S.D.) and Jerry Moran (R-Kan.) today introduced the Preserving America’s Family Farm Act, to prevent the Department of Labor (DOL) from enacting its controversial proposed restrictions that would ban children from working on family farms.

Senator Thune spoke out against the Obama Administration’s proposed labor rules for youth who work on farms and ranches on the Senate floor.

The Obama Administration’s rules are so strict they would restrict minors from handling most animals and even from using battery-powered screwdrivers.

(Excerpt) Read more at thegatewaypundit.com ...

garebear

• Time Out
  • Getbig V
  • Never question my instincts.
« Reply #1423 on: March 22, 2012, 03:20:56 AM »
What are your plans for this weekend?
G

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #1424 on: March 22, 2012, 06:31:58 AM »
What are your plans for this weekend?

Care to ever make a substantive comment on what your communist thug messiah is doing to collapse this nation?