Author Topic: Stock Market Crash - No thread on today's stock market crash?  (Read 13535 times)

El Diablo Blanco

• Getbig V
  • Nom Nom Nom Nom
Re: No thread on today's stock market crash?
« Reply #50 on: August 24, 2015, 01:19:16 PM »
^ gee whiz really? Almost like this thing is called a market! Woulda thought people make and loose money!

GROUND BREAKING THOUGHTS

im so glad we have you around MR. Soros to guide us all!

You missed the point.  Look at how both lows were set right at .00 even dollars.  That's the funny part.

pissant

• Getbig III
« Reply #51 on: August 24, 2015, 01:27:10 PM »
no its not people set stops and buy orders like that why is it funny or odd???

Do you set stops like 52.46? No you set em as 52.50

_aj_

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • The Return of the OG
« Reply #52 on: August 24, 2015, 01:32:57 PM »
You missed the point.  Look at how both lows were set right at .00 even dollars.  That's the funny part.

The funny part is that there would be any actual retail investors left. At the height of the day's insanity, the credit markets kept getting halted and that would completely halt the online (read: retail) trading platforms. Folks that were trying to buy, sell or cancel were just locked out of their accounts for the duration.

If you are a retail investor left in this "market" you are a fool.

pissant

• Getbig III
« Reply #53 on: August 24, 2015, 01:41:06 PM »
The funny part is that there would be any actual retail investors left. At the height of the day's insanity, the credit markets kept getting halted and that would completely halt the online (read: retail) trading platforms. Folks that were trying to buy, sell or cancel were just locked out of their accounts for the duration.

If you are a retail investor left in this "market" you are a fool.

retail investors have more of edge and traders that must perform each quarter.

the problem is most retail traders are mentally retarded doctors or lawyers who think cause they graduated mega cumlaude they can beat the markets.

_aj_

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • The Return of the OG
« Reply #54 on: August 24, 2015, 01:50:27 PM »

the problem is most retail traders are mentally retarded doctors or lawyers who think cause they graduated mega cumlaude they can beat the markets.

I am guessing that you didn't graduate magna either.

FitnessFrenzy

• Getbig V
  • evolving
« Reply #55 on: August 24, 2015, 01:52:34 PM »

back up your claim with sources.

Griffith

• Getbig V
« Reply #56 on: August 24, 2015, 01:55:38 PM »
Not a good time for emerging market commodity based currencies ....  :'(

El Diablo Blanco

• Getbig V
  • Nom Nom Nom Nom
« Reply #57 on: August 24, 2015, 02:02:34 PM »
Basic facts: Buy low, sell while high.

WalterWhite

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #58 on: August 24, 2015, 02:07:46 PM »
Basic facts: Buy low, sell while high.

And don't be long in markets driven by idiotic fed policy.

QE debacle.

polychronopolous

• Getbig V
« Reply #59 on: August 24, 2015, 02:15:43 PM »
Pat Roberston: Dow Plunge is God’s Punishment for Planned Parenthood

As the Dow drop continues to make headlines, everyone from Donald Trump to Glenn Beck have jumped to give their thought on how this could happen, and what the results could be.

Of course, while a great deal of blame has been placed on various economic factors, Pat Robertson claims to know what’s truly responsible for the stock market disaster: Abortion.

The televangelist host of The 700 Club said on Monday that the downturn was a preview of God’s judgment for American complicity in the use of federal tax dollars to fund the “monstrosity” known as Planned Parenthood. Robertson continued to explain how we would “pay dearly as a nation,” and that the only way to stop the American apocalypse was if we “stop the slaughter.”

“It’s coming, ladies and gentlemen,” Robertson warned. “We just had a little taste of it in terms of the financial system, but it’s going to be shaken to its core in the next few months, years or however long it tastes and it will hurt every one of us.”

SaintAnger

• Getbig IV
« Reply #60 on: August 24, 2015, 02:20:16 PM »
I just read three pages.  I still don't know what the hell any of this shit means, and I'm in the 1%.  Go figure.

pissant

• Getbig III
« Reply #61 on: August 24, 2015, 02:39:12 PM »
^ daddy must have been a good investor !

Jizzacked

« Reply #62 on: August 24, 2015, 02:56:53 PM »
interested how mahg is doing through all of this..

2Thick

• Getbig IV
  • His Thickness
« Reply #63 on: August 24, 2015, 03:08:14 PM »
I'm all in oil and can't even look at my brokerage account right now.  I bought when oil hit $50 a barrel thinking that was the bottom.

I've got tons of it under my property, and an active lease with an oil company - which is the main reason I like it above $100.  ;D

I did a little number crunching, and oil at $40 vs $140 a barrel makes a 35% difference in my personal net worth - based upon my 20% share they pay me when it comes out of the ground - of how much oil I've been told is under my property.
A

2Thick

• Getbig IV
  • His Thickness
« Reply #64 on: August 24, 2015, 03:10:56 PM »
I'm just the safe old dollar cost averaging guy with mutual funds.

People who sell when the market drops are idiots. Rich people get richer by buying when the market is down because they are smart enough to know it will go back up.

You can rest assured that Buffett and the other big dogs are buying up stock like crazy.
A

2Thick

• Getbig IV
  • His Thickness
« Reply #65 on: August 24, 2015, 03:15:49 PM »
When confidence is lost, individual picks don't matter... every stock comes down hard.  This next crash one is going to be very nasty.  The economy is horrible.  Derivatives total around $1.4 quadrillion dollars.  The current financial system is not going to last much longer.

When the shit really hits the fan, and the big institutions sell and short big, it's pretty much a given that we see systemic short term declines in values pretty much across the board. If I knew ahead of time how much those declines would be and how long they'd last, I'd be a zillionaire.

Until then, I'll buy and buy more of stocks of good companies as they get cheaper, and hedge myself in various ways - puts, shorts, commodities, cash, etc.

If we ever see doomsday and I wake up one day and find out it's all gone for whatever reason, I don't see any of us being long for the world at that point anyway.
A

2Thick

• Getbig IV
  • His Thickness
« Reply #66 on: August 24, 2015, 03:25:37 PM »
Do you have any opinion on US residential property?

I'm European with no assets in the US but am planning to relocate to the west coast within the next 12 months. I've been toying with the idea of buying a condo with a very small mortgage just to get on the credit ladder.  I don't really need it as an investment per se, but if it saves me a few points on a multi-million mortgage then it becomes worth it.

West coast is pretty expensive overall. I live in the deep south, and I had a home built here a while back that resembles many of the Mediterranean style homes you see around the golf course communities in the San Diego area - for a very small fraction of what it would have cost me to buy one out there. You can build or usually even buy a very nice 10k sq foot home in a nice neighborhood in the Houston area for low 7 figs - it would cost at least mid 7 figs in a nice area of San Diego, and well into 8 figures in nicer parts of the LA and San Fran areas.

Of course real estate over the long term is usually a wise investment. Short term it's anybody's guess - some people who are smarter and far wealthier than me like Kevin O'Leary and Steve Schwarzman actually disagree on whether or not real estate is going to be a good investment in the next few years. But a nice home in a nice area is almost always a very good idea long term over here.

Over here, you can generally deduct the interest paid on the first million on a mortgage of a primary or secondary residence on your income tax returns.
A

2Thick

• Getbig IV
  • His Thickness
« Reply #67 on: August 24, 2015, 03:34:38 PM »
I never make predictions. Sometimes I'm right in the short term, sometimes not. It's often just a matter of making a move a little too early if it doesn't go your way in the short term.

My goal is to be largely right in the long term and increase wealth greatly over that time. Been doing this over 21 years. The best thing the small retail investor can do is not get bogged down in the short term drama, and keep their eye on retiring in 20, 30, or 40 years with a nice nestegg.

Investing $100 every week for 40 years in a IRA or Roth, with an assumed total return of 10% over that time (like what the S&P has roughly averaged over the last 50 years or so), and with minimal fees and expenses (and no withdrawals) will result in over $2 million by that time. If you can put another $100 or $200 a week into a work plan as well, all the better - particularly if they match.
A

WalterWhite

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #68 on: August 24, 2015, 03:39:51 PM »
You can rest assured that Buffett and the other big dogs are buying up stock like crazy.

They may have bought and sold when the 1k drop re traced but they all know this is not over.

FB is still over 80 but AAPL was a good one day play today.

Agnostic007

• Getbig V
« Reply #69 on: August 24, 2015, 03:45:22 PM »
I never make predictions. Sometimes I'm right in the short term, sometimes not. It's often just a matter of making a move a little too early if it doesn't go your way in the short term.

My goal is to be largely right in the long term and increase wealth greatly over that time. Been doing this over 21 years. The best thing the small retail investor can do is not get bogged down in the short term drama, and keep their eye on retiring in 20, 30, or 40 years with a nice nestegg.

Investing $100 every week for 40 years in a IRA or Roth, with an assumed total return of 10% over that time (like what the S&P has roughly averaged over the last 50 years or so), and with minimal fees and expenses (and no withdrawals) will result in over $2 million by that time. If you can put another $100 or $200 a week into a work plan as well, all the better - particularly if they match.

That's good advice. I was market timing for the last 2 years and did well. I read all the articles about how market timing is impossible but I can say I was lucky for 2 years. My company switched Deferred Comp/ 401 companies in June and I wasn't allowed to move in and out so I picked a general fund that picked stocks for those retiring in 2025. So I'm down 22K as of June... and I'm pretty sure had we stayed with the old company, I would have at least reduced my losses.. but yeah.. long term is the way to look at it or you'll cut your throat in times like this

Mclovin

• Getbig III
Re: Stock Market Crash - No thread on today's stock market crash?
« Reply #70 on: August 24, 2015, 03:53:03 PM »
If you are a net buyer of stocks, which most people generally should be unless they are in or near retirement, you want prices to be lower, rather than higher. It is just like anything else being on a discount, plus it raises yields. Despite weaknesses in some multinationals with large exposure to emerging markets, as well as the energy sector pretty much across the board, the financials for the large majority of S&P 500 companies have remained strong. Most of the pullback is due to lower P/E multiples as growth is slowing. Add in the uncertainty with the timing of the fed rate hike, and that's why you are seeing this correction. Now it is possible we could be heading toward a recession but that is just part of the normal business cycle, and it shouldn't be anything like 2008. When the market started falling in late 2007 and early 2008, you had several economic catalysts such as the bankruptcies of Countrywide, Bear Sterns, and Lehman Brothers. We don't have that right now, as the market is mostly moving on fear and the slowdown in China. I will bet you the Dow will hit 22,000 by 2017.

2Thick

• Getbig IV
  • His Thickness
« Reply #71 on: August 24, 2015, 03:54:39 PM »
They may have bought and sold when the 1k drop re traced but they all know this is not over.

FB is still over 80 but AAPL was a good one day play today.

Guys like Buffett and Icahn don't sell very often. I watch the SEC filings closely that the big dogs must file every quarter, and those guys are not traders by any stretch of the imagination. I think the shortest Buffett has held a position in recent years was Exxon, just over a year. Capital gains taxes are higher on profits taken < 1yr. And he probably sold Exxon because of the poor outlook for oil. He also recently sold Phillips 66, which was spun off from Conoco years ago, which he also owned for years until recently.

Of course that's not to say that all billionaires do the same - Jim Simons and DE Shaw made their fortunes largely with automated HFT systems.
A

2Thick

• Getbig IV
  • His Thickness
« Reply #72 on: August 24, 2015, 04:02:03 PM »
Maybe your prediction will be right. I wouldn't bet the ranch on it being up or down, and certainly not on a specific number. I don't worry about where the Dow will be in 17 months anyway - I'll stick mainly to looking at individual companies, and always being at least some long, a little short, a little in cash, and a little in things like commodities, perhaps REITS, etc.

A small cap biotech company that puts its drugs through clinical trials and FDA decisions will move a great deal in either direction from time to time, regardless of where we are in the economic cycle, and where interest rates are. I'm pretty good at digging in and finding these companies, and profiting on these moves via options and perhaps small long stock positions. Just an example.

The market does have a built in upward bias over the mid to long term for various reasons, but you just never know what will happen. Many who are smarter and richer than I am are predicting tepid growth, which when combined with increasing interest rates may make it a challenge for the broad markets to keep going up in the next few years.

If you are a net buyer of stocks, which most people generally should be unless they are in or near retirement, you want prices to be lower, rather than higher. It is just like anything else being on a discount, plus it raises yields. Despite weaknesses in some multinationals with large exposure to emerging markets, as well as the energy sector pretty much across the board, the financials for the large majority of S&P 500 companies have remained strong. Most of the pullback is due to lower P/E multiples as growth is slowing. Add in the uncertainty with the timing of the fed rate hike, and that's why you are seeing this correction. Now it is possible we could be heading toward a recession but that is just part of the normal business cycle, and it shouldn't be anything like 2008. When the market started falling in late 2007 and early 2008, you had several economic catalysts such as the bankruptcies of Countrywide, Bear Sterns, and Lehman Brothers. We don't have that right now, as the market is mostly moving on fear and the slowdown in China. I will bet you the Dow will hit 22,000 by 2017.
A

WalterWhite

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #73 on: August 24, 2015, 04:32:52 PM »
Guys like Buffett and Icahn don't sell very often. I watch the SEC filings closely that the big dogs must file every quarter, and those guys are not traders by any stretch of the imagination. I think the shortest Buffett has held a position in recent years was Exxon, just over a year. Capital gains taxes are higher on profits taken < 1yr. And he probably sold Exxon because of the poor outlook for oil. He also recently sold Phillips 66, which was spun off from Conoco years ago, which he also owned for years until recently.

Of course that's not to say that all billionaires do the same - Jim Simons and DE Shaw made their fortunes largely with automated HFT systems.

They are def not the same but one thing for sure they are well diversified in stocks (growth, value, small cap etc) real estate, bonds (municipals for tax reasons), etc.

I think most people are best to index the market because as we know stock picking is tricky even with all the data available.

2Thick

• Getbig IV
  • His Thickness
« Reply #74 on: August 24, 2015, 04:36:38 PM »
Yeah, I think the average person / most people should probably do it that way - index funds are very cheap as well. And with dollar cost averaging, they're buying more shares when the market is down, fewer when it's up.
A