Author Topic: will you regret that you didnt compete in bodybuilding?  (Read 6399 times)

Dokey111

• Getbig V
Re: will you regret that you didnt compete in bodybuilding?
« Reply #25 on: August 28, 2015, 04:50:01 PM »
only competed a couple of times, first time, it was still at the tail end (no homo) mid 80's of being cool.  second time i wanted to compete drug free (early 90's) in an open contest and did it.  no of course i didn't win but.. i did it.  never dieted so hard in my life and looked like a skeleton.

The Ugly

• Getbig V
« Reply #26 on: August 28, 2015, 04:54:12 PM »
Yes. Also, not getting fucked in the ass, my two deathbed regrets.

che

• Getbig V
« Reply #27 on: August 28, 2015, 05:06:05 PM »
join some federation, pay your entry fee, and stand on stage with other bodybuilders and get judged.

I disagree , that's the easiest part

HTexan

• Getbig V
  • Heath must lose!!
« Reply #28 on: August 28, 2015, 05:32:50 PM »

Lol
A

robcguns

• Getbig V
  • Founder of the proud straight white male movement
« Reply #29 on: August 28, 2015, 07:43:31 PM »
I think the only ones who regret anything are the ones who compete,at least when they get very ill prematurely.

tommywishbone

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • Biscuit
« Reply #30 on: August 28, 2015, 09:36:40 PM »

;D A valid point sir.
a

Primemuscle

• Getbig V
« Reply #31 on: August 28, 2015, 09:46:38 PM »
one day you too will get old, you will look back at your life and the time you spent training, posting on getbig and maybe, you will regret that you didnt compete in bodybuilding, you never did try to get in the very best shape of your life, dieted and put yourself on that stage to see how you would do against others.

its kinda like playing guitar, sure its nice to practice guitar 3 times a week and its nice to be on a guitarforum on the internet talking with other guitarplayers... but wouldnt it be nice to get up on stage and actually play guitar in front of an audience?

for some of you, there's still time... for others maybe the train left the station, compete in bodybuilding is hard to fit in on your bucket list as you get older, its not like bungy jumping... so maybe now it's time to make up your mind.

yours in bodybuilding,
thegamechanger

Honestly, I never imagined myself competing. All I ever strived for was to be fit and healthy....and yes a little more attractive and muscular than many other folks my age.

Here is the weird thing; I might actually be more successful in competition today in the ancient seniors class then I ever hoped for back in the day when the field was much wider. The problem is I don't much like how I look nearly naked and therefore am unlikely to present myself to the world in a thong. At some point, it just becomes creepy.

The Ugly

• Getbig V
« Reply #32 on: August 28, 2015, 10:27:23 PM »
Honestly, I never imagined myself competing. All I ever strived for was to be fit and healthy....and yes a little more attractive and muscular than many other folks my age.

Here is the weird thing; I might actually be more successful in competition today in the ancient seniors class then I ever hoped for back in the day when the field was much wider. The problem is I don't much like how I look nearly naked and therefore am unlikely to present myself to the world in a thong. At some point, it just becomes creepy.

Smart move. World can't unsee thonged 71 year-olds.

Howard

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #33 on: August 29, 2015, 02:54:36 PM »
I`ll be competing again in 2016.

Wes = in his 2nd century of competing.

Nether Animal

• Getbig V
  • Team Mower Forever
« Reply #34 on: August 29, 2015, 09:05:25 PM »

Fucking idiocy.

local hero

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • mma finance warrior of peace
« Reply #35 on: August 29, 2015, 11:45:51 PM »
Fucking idiocy.

There's usualy one of 'these types' at each show.... They usualy get a bugger cheer than the winners, and screams of beef etc, at least in uk..

ritch

• Getbig V
« Reply #36 on: August 30, 2015, 12:13:56 AM »
A few guys at my gym are bugging me to compete but in my mind I'm thinking what's the point at my age. What's the reward? Far more risk than reward in my mind. Plus the costs involved to even compete at a local show just don't make sense to me.

The other thing that bugs me about competing is that as a competitor you have to pay a registration fee. To me that doesn't make any sense, especially when the registration fee is more than what a ticket to the show costs. So the spectators are there to see you, but you pay more just to be there than they do??? To me this is like a promoter bringing in a band to play a show and selling tickets, but also charging the band to play at the show.

LOL! Good analysis!!!
Although placing in a local show does bring you to "local guru status" and if you have a business in this world, can be good for that person. I just can't diet and purposely make myself look as skinny as it takes to be "bb'ing ripped"

6 weeks out look is the ultimate. Fuck their registration fee's. All that to be able to pose for 45 seconds. Just dosen't make sense, but understand why some do it...
?

SuperTed

• Getbig V
  • Rebirth
« Reply #37 on: August 30, 2015, 12:36:53 AM »
I would have competed if I had the right genetics. :-\

The Wizard of Truth

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • Fallen Angel
« Reply #38 on: August 30, 2015, 12:54:09 AM »
A lot of sense being spoken in this thread. I preferred competing in powerlifting and don't regret that.

MAXX

• Getbig V
  • MAGA
« Reply #39 on: August 30, 2015, 12:56:40 AM »
No I do not regret not doing steroids and getting unhealthy big, 300lbs or whatever, to potentially win a plastic trophy

blinky

• Getbig V
« Reply #40 on: August 30, 2015, 01:54:40 AM »
i have competed so no  ;D. Ive done 7 shows. And thats enough.

Flex saying it cost about 10 grand to do a pro show......thats probably for him. He was a top level pro and had many sponsors. Lots of his shit was paid for.  When you consider food, drugs,supplements,travelling, hotels......its at least that much for national level competitors now

blinky

• Getbig V
« Reply #41 on: August 30, 2015, 02:09:31 AM »
I'm glad I did... I played it far too safe drug wise, but I knew in the back of my mind, if your not repping 4 plates on the bench and not sporting 21's after a few yrs assisted you never will... Altho some demented poor souls will chase this dream and never realise they have never had the tools to enable them.

The difference between a good physique and someone with the genes is huge, and you see it once you get to a national level, the winners stand out a mile, the rest of you all look good, just not good enough

If your living the life you may as well give it a go and see what your made of, its great having a purpose to train and diet for

this is sooo true. My first time at nationals i was in awe at how big AND THICK those bastards were. I did manage to place top 5 so i was really happy. After my 2nd time at nationals I took a few years off.  During my time off i did a SHIT TON of drugs(for me) to prepare for my next show. When i went back, i saw the guys i competed against before and the amount of size they had put on compared to me was ridiculous. I realized then that i just didnt have what it took to win at that level. I wasnt willing to take more shit than i had in prep for that show

Davidtheman100

• Getbig IV
  • Kill it
« Reply #42 on: August 30, 2015, 09:10:35 AM »
I'm glad I did... I played it far too safe drug wise, but I knew in the back of my mind, if your not repping 4 plates on the bench and not sporting 21's after a few yrs assisted you never will... Altho some demented poor souls will chase this dream and never realise they have never had the tools to enable them.

The difference between a good physique and someone with the genes is huge, and you see it once you get to a national level, the winners stand out a mile, the rest of you all look good, just not good enough

If your living the life you may as well give it a go and see what your made of, its great having a purpose to train and diet for

This is not 100% true...especially in today's bodybuilding...ON the olypmia stage? Maybe! But even up in the professional ranks you don't see people with "crazy" genetics as much anymore...And the ones who have amazing genetics are usually lacking something...Hardness, condition, or only use conservative dosages...This is nothing hard work can't beat if you have half-decent genetics yourself...Hard dieting...DHT's..Making sure your BF% is low as possible...Starting prepping early to maintain just about ALL mass...Using higher doses...Lionel Beyeke looked HORRIBLE at the arnold classic....I don't think i've ever seen akeem williams in shape..I mean a 20 year old just won NPC USA's and is now a pro...Some of the worst pro shows ever in 2015....I mean terrible...If theres ever a time to compete and be competitive, it's now...Especially since the sport is degressing at the same time the fan base is popping up....=more bang for your buck...In fact i'd probably wait another 2-3 years lol!

The Abdominal Snoman

• Getbig V
  • DON'T BE A TRAITOR TO YOUR TRIBE
« Reply #43 on: August 30, 2015, 04:15:44 PM »
The question should be, will you regret that you got in a women's thong and pose on stage for gay men? Honestly that's what it really comes down to in the very end...

cephissus

• Getbig V
« Reply #44 on: August 30, 2015, 07:26:05 PM »
when i was young, i thought bodybuilders were the peak of physical perfection.  probably because they serve as the models for all the heroes in videogames, comic books, movies, etc.

eventually, i saw a bodybuilder who needed an oxygen mask after posing, and i realized how weak they had to become to compete.  and the offseason isn't much better.  they may look incredible, but they can't run a mile, do a muscle up, or even lift as much as smaller athletes.  i finally learned that bodybuilders weren't anything like the heroes modeled after them.  instead, they were just guys who pursued illusion at all costs, even their health.

on the other hand, while i'll never consider professional bodybuilding a particularly admirable role, i can understand the appeal for gifted guys who stand to make a lot of money (i.e. like, the top 5 olympians).  given their circumstances, maybe it's not a bad job.

even without the money, if you have talent, you'll likely be tempted to compete just to beat other people.  for this reason, people will compete in nearly anything, even eating.  while winning is always fun, it's better when the competition doesn't degrade you.

Teutonic Knight

• Getbig V
« Reply #45 on: August 31, 2015, 12:27:38 AM »
I've said it before and I'll say it again, 'You are not a bodybuilder until you, join some federation, pay your entry fee, and stand on stage with other bodybuilders and get judged.'  Then you're a bodybuilder- until that point you're someone who lifts weights

I would like to join UBBA & compete/win plastic trophy , but this Basilean organization is dead  :P

BigRo

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • Mystical Manspreading
« Reply #46 on: August 31, 2015, 12:41:22 AM »
when i was young, i thought bodybuilders were the peak of physical perfection.  probably because they serve as the models for all the heroes in videogames, comic books, movies, etc.

eventually, i saw a bodybuilder who needed an oxygen mask after posing, and i realized how weak they had to become to compete.  and the offseason isn't much better.  they may look incredible, but they can't run a mile, do a muscle up, or even lift as much as smaller athletes.  i finally learned that bodybuilders weren't anything like the heroes modeled after them.  instead, they were just guys who pursued illusion at all costs, even their health.

on the other hand, while i'll consider bodybuilding a particularly admirable role, i can understand the appeal for gifted guys who stand to make a lot of money (i.e. like, the top 5 olympians).  given their circumstances, maybe it's not a bad job.

even without the money, if you have talent, you'll likely be tempted to compete just to beat other people.  for this reason, people will compete in nearly anything, even eating.  while winning is always fun, it's better when the competition doesn't degrade you.

succinct.