Author Topic: Any exercises to thicken back besides deadlift?  (Read 5131 times)

marcus

• Getbig IV
Any exercises to thicken back besides deadlift?
« on: November 15, 2007, 01:37:29 AM »
I have bad knees and want to keep my waist as small as possible. Any alternatives?

D-bol

• Getbig IV
  • Its only hard if you make it hard.
Re: Any exercises to thicken back besides deadlift?
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2007, 04:24:34 AM »
I have bad knees and want to keep my waist as small as possible. Any alternatives?

1. reverse grip barbell rows
2. close grip t-bar rows
3. single hand dumbell row (to a lesser extent)
4. close grib rope/cable row

basically, anything where you have close grip, upper body in semi-upright (half-squat with back straight) position and you bring your hands towards your upper/middle abs.

dlifts are great but there are plenty of other exercises to build your lower insertions and thinken the outside central area
make sure u sqeeze hard at the top of the movement

trab

• Getbig V
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2007, 05:57:46 AM »
Machine pulldowns and rows. Hammer & Magnum.
You can load on a lot of weight.
I get a great feel from both.
They have built thickness in my lats.

Charlys69

• Getbig III
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2007, 06:38:40 AM »
all basic rowing movements may can do this. But every exercise is only so good & productive how the athlete is doing it (mixture of form/function/amount of resistance, intensity...)

Bent over rows (undergrip, overgrip, 70 % degree, parallel to the floor,...), T-Bar rows, Dumbells-rows,
cable rows, and also stiff legged deadlifts if you don`t can/or wanna use your legs to much (to a certain degree), also heavy shrugs can help thicken your backside....
So for building up a massive back there are many options.

Charlys69

• Getbig III
« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2007, 06:45:40 AM »
Machine pulldowns and rows. Hammer & Magnum.
You can load on a lot of weight.
I get a great feel from both.
They have built thickness in my lats.

The machines where not bad, but honestly, when i had to make a decision between this machines and free/or other basic back movements, this machines will be my 2. option. Because HS for example is a "liar" to your real strength-levels. I can do + 10 reps with 330 lbs + with 1 arm (each side 330 lbs+) on the low-row-machine. But when i use a heavy dumbell, or Barbell i know what my real strength-level is.
But to complete a total back-workout they may be usefull.

trab

• Getbig V
« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2007, 06:49:52 AM »
The machines where not bad, but honestly, when i had to make a decision between this machines and free/or other basic back movements, this machines will be my 2. option. Because HS for example is a "liar" to your real strength-levels. I can do + 10 reps with 330 lbs + with 1 arm (each side 330 lbs+) on the low-row-machine. But when i use a heavy dumbell, or Barbell i know what my real strength-level is.

I agree, DB rows can also be used even with a sort of bad back & knees. It depends how bad his knees are.
The machine takes all the strain off, but thats not a good thing unless you have to do it.

Machines allow even a beat up hurt dude to load heavy weight on the lats.

Yes Barbells and dumbells rule, but injuries are a fact. ANd some of us have some bad ones.

I was assuming he cant even DB row very heavy.

The Squadfather

• Getbig V
« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2007, 07:41:28 AM »
hahahahahhahaaa, the two oldest excuses in the book. :D

thewickedtruth

• Getbig V
« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2007, 09:26:03 AM »
an alternate to deads to give you a bigger back?

heavier deads...  ;D

thewickedtruth

• Getbig V
« Reply #8 on: November 15, 2007, 09:28:25 AM »

machines are just something to keep from getting bored...teh low row you used is a perfect example. I can load up 7 plates a side on the old one we used to have and couldn't even bend over to barbell row 315. Free weights and the big 3 lifts will give you your true test of strength. Alot of guys that brag about their HS machine lifts are abunch of clowns.

thewickedtruth

• Getbig V
« Reply #9 on: November 15, 2007, 09:29:32 AM »

this is your excuse to NOT deadlift?

???

want to keep that waist small..close that fuckin mouth

Cap

• Getbig V
  • Trueprotein.com 5% discount code= CSP111
« Reply #10 on: November 15, 2007, 10:00:54 AM »
I had a heavy deadlift and can power clean substantial weight for my BW and my waist has never grown.  If your's does then eat less and does close stance squats to build the outer sweep.  Also, do side laterals every day. Now that you have options to keep your waist looking small you can chalk up.
Squishy face retard

trab

• Getbig V
« Reply #11 on: November 15, 2007, 04:47:19 PM »
I think his knees may be trashed is the deal.

Cap

• Getbig V
« Reply #12 on: November 15, 2007, 04:54:01 PM »
I think his knees may be trashed is the deal.
I think he'd be safe with those as long as he is not going overboard.  Doz used 405 to Ronnie's 805 and his back was thick.

If the problems are real bad then use the  HS machines but I would even do chest supported movements as a better alternative.
Squishy face retard

biceps

• Getbig III
« Reply #13 on: November 15, 2007, 06:17:24 PM »
Try this with the T-bar Row. Load up the bar with as much weight where you can execute 12 reps on strict form, start puling the T-bar till touch your chest squeeze your mid upper back hard as you can and hold it and have your partner add a 45 lbs plate to the bar in that position lat the bar with the extra weight added very slow down about 10 inch from you chest than puled back to your chest agent and squeezed hard repeat this 6 times, then after the 6th rep lat the bar alway down when you fill your lats stretched have you partner strip the 45 lb plate than pull the T-bar up to your chest squeeze and have your partner add the 45 lb agent but this time lat the bar down with the extra weight till you fill the stretch, have you partner strip the 45 lb, repeat this 6 time, then rest 3 minutes and repeat the whole think agent 3 times.

LatsMcGee

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #14 on: November 16, 2007, 01:07:51 AM »
Rack Pulls Sumo style.

powerpack

• Getbig IV
  • Time to get Buck wild!
« Reply #15 on: November 16, 2007, 11:13:57 PM »
For thickness nothing worked better for me than heavy Dorian Yates style bent over rows.

The Freakshow

• Competitors II
  • Getbig IV
  • Jeremiah 29:11-13
« Reply #16 on: November 17, 2007, 12:38:09 AM »
Seated cable rows with a medium neutral grip and bent over barbell rows

Obvious Gimmick

• Getbig V
  • I'd hit it
« Reply #17 on: November 17, 2007, 10:08:07 PM »
really hate to be an asshole but quit being a bitch and do your deadlift like the rest of us

dovidov

• Getbig II
  • Getbig!
« Reply #18 on: November 19, 2007, 06:14:58 PM »
bent over barbell rows...overhanded and underhanded...this will thicken your back..

Detroit Muscle

• Getbig II
  • Les Miles, please
« Reply #19 on: November 19, 2007, 06:32:52 PM »
You could deadlift using the Smith Machine.  Negates the stabilizing obliques and I suppose you don't have to go as heavy.  Seems to be the exercise a lot of bbers do pre-contest to keep the waist tight and avoid injury, but there's nothing like loading a freestanding barbell and lifting that shit.

Cap

• Getbig V
« Reply #20 on: November 19, 2007, 06:38:23 PM »
Aside from deadlifts and full power cleans, you won't have any knee problems.  BB rows, Tbar rows, HS rows, pulley rows, and DB rows are your best bets.

IMO, do not use Smith Machine Deads.  The smith is good for movements you need a spotter for like benches or military presses but other than that it is not that great because it can lead to overuse in one ROM, which is bad if you have improper form.  Smith machine rows are not too bad but I would really let your body follow a natural path.  DB rows are great since you can brace yourself.
Squishy face retard

KingCol

• Getbig II
« Reply #21 on: November 21, 2007, 03:53:28 PM »
Eating doughnuts with furious quickness will ensure a thick back....  Hope this helps!

trab

• Getbig V
« Reply #22 on: November 22, 2007, 01:03:25 PM »
Eating doughnuts with furious quickness will ensure a thick back....  Hope this helps!

Curl full gallons of milk  to mouth while eating them helps pump up the arm.