Author Topic: Question for Adonis  (Read 2361 times)

whateva

• Time Out
  • Getbig IV
Question for Adonis
« on: March 10, 2007, 12:59:03 PM »
What do you think about cutting water the day before a show?

The True Adonis

• Getbig V
  • Fear is proof of a degenerate mind.
Re: Question for Adonis
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2007, 01:03:45 PM »
I don`t think it is necessary if you are lean enough.

Layne Norton has written on this very topic and he is Dead on.  I would like to show you guys my physique at 3 percent very soon.  For now, I will give you Layne`s article.

Water

Many competitors practice the technique of water depletion. Water depletion consists of reducing one's liquid intake to practically nothing as they approach the contest. Not only is this practice very dangerous, it is also ineffective. Muscle tissue consists of 70% water.

If one restricts water intake drastically, they will lose muscle fullness and appear flat onstage. In addition, reducing water will increase the likelihood of muscle cramps while onstage (this happens quite frequently and is very embarrassing).

Some competitors believe water is what causes them to appear smooth. This is not the case. Water retention intracellularly (inside the cell) will cause one appear hard and full. Subcutaneous (under the skin) water retention however, causes one look smooth.

When the body senses a drastic restriction in water intake it will release anti-diuretic hormones that cause subcutaneous water retention. This makes physiological sense: the body senses it is not getting enough water and releases hormones that cause water retention to prevent dehydration. The result is muscles that appear look flat; from lack of water intracellularly, and soft; from retaining water subcutaneously.

The True Adonis

• Getbig V
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2007, 01:04:22 PM »
The Final Week

I have heard it a hundred times. "I looked great the week before the show, but I looked "(flat, bloated, etc) or "I was holding too much water." People often believe they can trick their body by using extreme techniques the last week before the show that will make them look super shredded. The truth is, if one has dieted properly, what they do in the last week will not make or break their show.

Few people win a show by tricks they use in the last week of pre contest prep. However, many people lose a show by using these extreme techniques. These techniques I speak of stem from myths that have been perpetuated by bodybuilders who use large amounts of anabolic steroids.

These Methods Include But Are Not Limited To:

Drastic carb depletion followed by drastic carb loading.

Days of water depletion.

Massive potassium loading.

Laxatives.

Diuretics.
For bodybuilders who use large amounts of anabolic steroids, these methods are needed to shed water, as anabolic steroids will cause one to retain large amounts of water extra-cellularly (outside the cell or subcutaneously). For a bodybuilder who doesn't use androgens, this type of preparation is a bit too extreme.

You can think of the body as a pendulum. It will stay in equilibrium unless pushed. You can push your body in one direction and you will experience a certain effect for a while, but eventually the pendulum will swing back in the opposite direction and you will experience the opposite effect.

For example, if one were to cut water intake drastically they would at first experience a great deal of water loss, but as the body senses water levels dropping, it will release anti-diuretic hormones which will cause the body to retain more water. On the other hand, in some cases we can use the body's reactions to our advantage.

Blockhead

• Toms
  • Getbig V
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2007, 01:05:51 PM »

Gawd DAMNIT! I agree with TA here...or Layne I mean for that matter.

The waterload/deplete method is now getting sort of old and the new practice by lots of people I am seeing and hearing about now is to increase water intake 10 days out from the show and drink heavily/consistently even the day OF the show.

Also helps with endurance on stage flexing and holding poses.
?

The True Adonis

• Getbig V
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2007, 01:06:50 PM »
Gawd DAMNIT! I agree with TA here...or Layne I mean for that matter.

The waterload/deplete method is now getting sort of old and the new practice by lots of people I am seeing and hearing about now is to increase water intake 10 days out from the show and drink heavily/consistently even the day OF the show.

Also helps with endurance on stage flexing and holding poses.
Exactly.

Now thats the Blockhead I like.  Not the Ebonic, trying too hard to be funny Blockhead.

Blockhead

• Toms
  • Getbig V
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2007, 01:10:29 PM »

Hahahahaha! "Thanks TA".

When water is supplied abundantly...the body see's no reason to 'hold' any excess water between the skin due to the constant surplus so the natural 'defense survival' mechanism is temporairly shut down, if you will.

Even for a short peroid...10-24 hours before a show let's say? Cutting your water to sips will cause 'aldesterone(sp?)
 to be released and cause water from the muscle to spill over so it can be stored again 'for survival' purposes.

The day before the show drink 2gallons...the day Of the show drink non-stop. As lons as you have to pee literally every 20-30 minutes there will be no water retention.
?

The True Adonis

• Getbig V
« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2007, 01:11:05 PM »
Whateva,

What are your contest plans this year and show us some pictures!

I still think you have one of The Very Best physiques as a Lifetime Natural and on Getbig.  

The True Adonis

• Getbig V
« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2007, 01:11:46 PM »
Hahahahaha! "Thanks TA".

When water is supplied abundantly...the body see's no reason to 'hold' any excess water between the skin due to the constant surplus so the natural 'defense survival' mechanism is temporairly shut down, if you will.

Even for a short peroid...10-24 hours before a show let's say? Cutting your water to sips will cause 'aldesterone(sp?)
 to be released and cause water from the muscle to spill over so it can be stored again 'for survival' purposes.

The day before the show drink 2gallons...the day Of the show drink non-stop. As lons as you have to pee literally every 20-30 minutes there will be no water retention.
Exactly.

Couldn`t be any easier.

whateva

• Time Out
  • Getbig IV
« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2007, 01:30:28 PM »
I don't agree with the Adonis principles at all , but we  almost agree with the water thing

onlyme

• Getbig V
  • Don't Fuck With Bears
« Reply #9 on: March 10, 2007, 03:30:57 PM »
I don't agree with the Adonis principles at all , but we  almost agree with the water thing

You mean you agree with Layne Norton.  He wrote the article.  Apenis just jumps on the bandwagon and makes it sound it was his idea.  A master at this.

SHUTUPANDTRAIN

• Getbig III
  • Getbig!
« Reply #10 on: March 10, 2007, 03:31:46 PM »
I don`t think it is necessary if you are lean enough.

Layne Norton has written on this very topic and he is Dead on.  I would like to show you guys my physique at 3 percent very soon.  For now, I will give you Layne`s article.

Water

Many competitors practice the technique of water depletion. Water depletion consists of reducing one's liquid intake to practically nothing as they approach the contest. Not only is this practice very dangerous, it is also ineffective. Muscle tissue consists of 70% water.

If one restricts water intake drastically, they will lose muscle fullness and appear flat onstage. In addition, reducing water will increase the likelihood of muscle cramps while onstage (this happens quite frequently and is very embarrassing).

Some competitors believe water is what causes them to appear smooth. This is not the case. Water retention intracellularly (inside the cell) will cause one appear hard and full. Subcutaneous (under the skin) water retention however, causes one look smooth.

When the body senses a drastic restriction in water intake it will release anti-diuretic hormones that cause subcutaneous water retention. This makes physiological sense: the body senses it is not getting enough water and releases hormones that cause water retention to prevent dehydration. The result is muscles that appear look flat; from lack of water intracellularly, and soft; from retaining water subcutaneously.

How did you answer questions before google?

EL Mariachi

• Getbig V
« Reply #11 on: March 10, 2007, 03:56:47 PM »
adosin i have a question too. true adonis/the heckler/squadfather have all the same typing language style. that aint an coincidence. how much time do you spend on getbig?  how is it possible to have over 20 000 posts in such a short time. hell im on getbig since 2000 and i cant compete with that.

Necrosis

• Getbig V
« Reply #12 on: March 10, 2007, 03:57:56 PM »
Hahahahaha! "Thanks TA".

what about hypoatremia or even hypokalemia. drinking over 2 gallons a day and flexing(which is hardwork) could cause some of these problems.

how would you avoid water intoxication at such high levels while doing strenous activity, plus the fact that most deplete soduim before a show would add further insult to injury.

any ideas?