Author Topic: If you paid more than $1 in Federal taxes last year, you paid more than GE!  (Read 585 times)

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • Doesnt lie about lifting.
GE: 7,000 tax returns, $0 U.S. tax bill
By Annalyn Censky, staff reporterApril 16, 2010: 11:52 AM ET
www.cnnmoney.com

________________________ ________________________ _____

NEW YORK (CNNMoney.com) -- General Electric filed more than 7,000 income tax returns in hundreds of global jurisdictions last year, but when push came to shove, the company owed the U.S. government a whopping bill of $0.

How'd it pull off that trick? By losing lots of money.

Facebook Digg Twitter Buzz Up! Email Print Comment on this story

Tax bills for 5 corporate giants

The 2009 income tax bills for America's biggest companies ranged from $0 to $15 billion. Here's why.
View photosGE had plenty of earnings last year -- just not in the United States. For tax purposes, the company's U.S. operations lost $408 million, while its international businesses netted a $10.8 billion profit.

That left GE (GE, Fortune 500) with no U.S. profit left for Uncle Sam to tax. Corporations typically face a 35% federal income tax on their earnings. Thanks to its deductions and adjustments, GE reported an actual U.S. federal income tax rate of negative 10.5%. It got to add a "tax benefit" of $1.1 billion back into its reported earnings.

"This is the first time in at least decades that GE has reported negative U.S. pretax income and it reflects the worst economy since the Great Depression," Anne Eisele, GE's director of financial communications, said via e-mail.

But what about the $10.8 billion profit overseas? GE is "indefinitely" deferring income tax payments on those profits, Eisele said.

It may seem like accounting magic, but it's completely legit.

GE isn't the only "Top 5" company on this year's Fortune 500 list that owed no income taxes. Bank of America (BAC, Fortune 500), which suffered major losses in 2009, included a tax benefit of $1.9 billion in its annual profit.

"That's one way of escaping taxes," said Scott Hodge, president of the Tax Foundation. "Companies get to deduct their losses, so if there's no earnings, then they pay no income tax."

But GE isn't exactly escaping all tax-related pain: The company paid almost $23 billion in taxes to governments around the world from 2000 to 2009, Eisele said.

Plus, paying the accountants to crank out 7,000 tax returns can't be cheap.

And then there's all the lawyers needed to defend those returns. GE filed tax paperwork in more than 250 jurisdictions around the world last year. "We are under examination or engaged in tax litigation in many of these jurisdictions," the company dryly notes in its annual report.

GE may not owe the IRS, but it still has to file -- and its filings are epic.

In 2006, as the IRS ramped up its corporate e-filing program, the tax agency actually issued a celebratory press release when it processed GE's tax return. On paper, the return -- the nation's largest -- would have totaled a massive 24,000 pages. But instead, the IRS was able to upload the 237 MB document in under an hour.

Reading it, though, is apparently taking a bit longer. The IRS is currently auditing GE's tax returns for 2003-2007.

________________________ ____

Another disgusting example of Obama's buddies getting away with high level fraud. 

Straw Man

• Getbig V
  • one dwells in nirvana
GE: 7,000 tax returns, $0 U.S. tax bill
By Annalyn Censky, staff reporterApril 16, 2010: 11:52 AM ET
www.cnnmoney.com

________________________ ________________________ _____

NEW YORK (CNNMoney.com) -- General Electric filed more than 7,000 income tax returns in hundreds of global jurisdictions last year, but when push came to shove, the company owed the U.S. government a whopping bill of $0.

How'd it pull off that trick? By losing lots of money.

Facebook Digg Twitter Buzz Up! Email Print Comment on this story

Tax bills for 5 corporate giants

The 2009 income tax bills for America's biggest companies ranged from $0 to $15 billion. Here's why.
View photosGE had plenty of earnings last year -- just not in the United States. For tax purposes, the company's U.S. operations lost $408 million, while its international businesses netted a $10.8 billion profit.

That left GE (GE, Fortune 500) with no U.S. profit left for Uncle Sam to tax. Corporations typically face a 35% federal income tax on their earnings. Thanks to its deductions and adjustments, GE reported an actual U.S. federal income tax rate of negative 10.5%. It got to add a "tax benefit" of $1.1 billion back into its reported earnings.

"This is the first time in at least decades that GE has reported negative U.S. pretax income and it reflects the worst economy since the Great Depression," Anne Eisele, GE's director of financial communications, said via e-mail.

But what about the $10.8 billion profit overseas? GE is "indefinitely" deferring income tax payments on those profits, Eisele said.

It may seem like accounting magic, but it's completely legit.

GE isn't the only "Top 5" company on this year's Fortune 500 list that owed no income taxes. Bank of America (BAC, Fortune 500), which suffered major losses in 2009, included a tax benefit of $1.9 billion in its annual profit.

"That's one way of escaping taxes," said Scott Hodge, president of the Tax Foundation. "Companies get to deduct their losses, so if there's no earnings, then they pay no income tax."

But GE isn't exactly escaping all tax-related pain: The company paid almost $23 billion in taxes to governments around the world from 2000 to 2009, Eisele said.

Plus, paying the accountants to crank out 7,000 tax returns can't be cheap.

And then there's all the lawyers needed to defend those returns. GE filed tax paperwork in more than 250 jurisdictions around the world last year. "We are under examination or engaged in tax litigation in many of these jurisdictions," the company dryly notes in its annual report.

GE may not owe the IRS, but it still has to file -- and its filings are epic.

In 2006, as the IRS ramped up its corporate e-filing program, the tax agency actually issued a celebratory press release when it processed GE's tax return. On paper, the return -- the nation's largest -- would have totaled a massive 24,000 pages. But instead, the IRS was able to upload the 237 MB document in under an hour.

Reading it, though, is apparently taking a bit longer. The IRS is currently auditing GE's tax returns for 2003-2007.
________________________ ____

Another disgusting example of Obama's buddies getting away with high level fraud. 

333 – you sound like a dirty stinking LIB
What happened to the 333 that couldn’t stop ranting about how we’re all taxed to death?
This technique that orporations use to avoid paying their fair share of taxes has been brought up many times on this forum.
BTW – nice touch adding in the Obama bashing at the end there
We all know corporations only started using this legal loophole when Obama got in office and showed them how to do it

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
I would be ok if they paid nothing if they genuinely lost money, but they did not.   

Straw Man

• Getbig V
  • one dwells in nirvana
I would be ok if they paid nothing if they genuinely lost money, but they did not.   

yeah but still you couldn't resist blaming Obama

are you starting to understand why it's hard to take anything you say seriously?

shootfighter1

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • Competitor- NABBA Nationals Overall Champ
haha straw.  But this kind of shit pisses us moderates off too.  I'm all for a company keeping most of their money but if they are hiding their domestic profits through international fronts, that's BS....mainly because the rest of us have to make up for the lost revenue.

Everyone above poverty should pay taxes and no one and no company making less than 1 million dollars should pay more than 25%.  1/4 of your income is more than enough for taxes and if there is a shortfall, the government shouldn't be able to spend more.

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
yeah but still you couldn't resist blaming Obama

are you starting to understand why it's hard to take anything you say seriously?

Take a poll.  Other than you and maybe 3 or 4 others, most posters here like me. 

Slapper

• Getbig V
  • Vincit qui se vincit
I've been saying it for a while: Corporations DO NOT pay their fair share of income tax.

Corporations get huge local tax perks to move part of their operations to town x, or get y amount to build buildings, but at the end of the day they pay zero taxes.

The employees in these corporations pay income taxes.

This has been going on for a looooong while.

Straw Man

• Getbig V
  • one dwells in nirvana
Take a poll.  Other than you and maybe 3 or 4 others, most posters here like me. 

I didn't say people don't like you

I said we can't take you seriously

I can't believe you haven't yet blamed Obama for the volcanic eruption in Iceland

you know that's all part of his plan to intentionally kill the private sector and destroy out our country so he can fullfil his secret Commie agenda

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
I didn't say people don't like you

I said we can't take you seriously

I can't believe you haven't yet blamed Obama for the volcanic eruption in Iceland

you know that's all part of his plan to intentionally kill the private sector and destroy out our country so he can fullfil his secret Commie agenda

I'm sure he tried!   ::)  ::)

As for taking me seriously, other than you a maybe three or four others, why not take a poll by the board regulars?   

Straw Man

• Getbig V
  • one dwells in nirvana
I'm sure he tried!   ::)  ::)

As for taking me seriously, other than you a maybe three or four others, why not take a poll by the board regulars?   

do it yourself

I really don't care

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
  • I am. The most interesting man in the world. (Not)
I've been saying it for a while: Corporations DO NOT pay their fair share of income tax.

Corporations get huge local tax perks to move part of their operations to town x, or get y amount to build buildings, but at the end of the day they pay zero taxes.

The employees in these corporations pay income taxes.

This has been going on for a looooong while.

Businesses should get tax incentives and tax breaks.  Heavier taxes on business just get passed along to consumers.  Plus employees will suffer because higher cost of doing business results in lower wages and fewer jobs.