Author Topic: Moms' full-time work tied to childhood obesity  (Read 8847 times)

loco

• Getbig V
  • loco like a fox
Moms' full-time work tied to childhood obesity
« on: June 16, 2010, 05:03:41 AM »
Thu, Jun 10 2010

NEW YORK (Reuters Health) - The growing number of full-time working moms in the past few decades could be one of the factors contributing to the concurrent rise in childhood obesity, new research hints.

In a study of more than 8,500 UK adults followed since their birth in 1958, researchers found that the study participants' young children were 50 percent more likely to be overweight or obese than they themselves had been back in the 1960s.

When the researchers looked at factors that could be associated with the trend, they found that mothers' full-time employment, which was more common in the younger generation, appeared to be one.

The findings, published in the American Journal of Epidemiology, do not prove that moms' full-time work, per se, contributes to the risk of childhood obesity.

One possibility, according to the researchers, is that children of full-time working moms have fewer family meals or less-healthy diets in general.

So the trend in mothers' employment over the past few decades may be one of the variables contributing to a general erosion in children's diets; the explosion in sugary junk foods on the market, food advertising aimed at kids, and the increasing availability of high- fat, high-sugar fare in schools are among the other factors that have been blamed.

The current study lacked information on the children's diets and exercise habits, so it is not known whether kids of working moms did in fact have poorer-quality diets or were less active.

For the study, Dr. Leah Li and colleagues at the University College London analyzed data from a project that has followed a large group of Britons since their birth in 1958. They focused on 8,552 participants who, in 1991, had a total of 1,889 children between the ages of 4 and 9.

Overall, the children were more likely to be overweight or obese than their parents had been back in 1965: 12 percent of boys were overweight or obese, versus 8 percent of their fathers in childhood; and 18 percent of girls were heavy, versus of 11 percent in their mothers' generation.

Li's team found that both parents' current weight and mothers' employment status were associated with the risk of their children being overweight.

Children of mothers who worked full-time were 48 percent more likely to be overweight or obese than children of non-working mothers. That was with factors such as socioeconomics, parents' weight and breastfeeding (which some studies have linked to a lower risk of childhood obesity) taken into account.

When parents were obese, the odds of the child being overweight were three to six times greater than when parents were normal-weight.

Rates of both parental obesity and full-time work among mothers increased between the two generations. In 1991, 60 percent of mothers worked, including 15 percent who were full-time; that compared with 45 percent and 10 percent, respectively, in 1965.

Similarly, about 12 percent of parents were obese in 1991, versus 5 to 7 percent of the first generation's parents in 1965.

So it's possible, according to Li and her colleagues, that both factors (parents' weight, in particular) contributed to the intergeneration increase in childhood weight.

However, even if mothers' employment is a factor in the rise of childhood obesity, it would only account for a small portion of that increase, the current findings suggest.

Based on their data, the researchers estimate that in 1991, less than 8 percent of cases of childhood overweight or obesity could be attributable to mothers' employment.

In general, experts believe that a complex mix of societal factors -- from shifts in eating habits, to greater reliance on cars and increasing hours logged in front of the TV or computer -- has been behind the rise in childhood weight problems in recent decades.

SOURCE: link.reuters.com/heh49k

American Journal of Epidemiology, online May 20, 2010.

http://www.reuters.com/article/idUSTRE6595J020100610

Mr Nobody

• Getbig V
  • Falcon gives us new knowledge every single day.
Re: Moms' full-time work tied to childhood obesity
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2010, 06:37:26 AM »
Sad story.

tonymctones

• Getbig V
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2010, 07:08:51 AM »
its all about lifestyle, both my parents worked full time growing up and my brother was overweight I dont know if id consider him obese but overweight and I wasnt I played sports all throughout my child hood.

I can see that it could lead to less healthy meals more take out etc...

but this reminds me of friends that say they just dont have time to make it to the gym but then sit at home every night and watch 4 hours of tv  ::)

drkaje

• Getbig V
  • Quiet, Err. I'm transmitting rage.
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2010, 09:18:41 AM »
People need to stop blaming mommy for every societal ill.

yng466

• Getbig III
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2010, 01:18:58 PM »
My little brother's always had a weight problem,yet the rest of my siblings never did.Our diet wasn't any different,depends on a person's metabolism also.75% of American males are unfit for military service because of the growing trend. :(
PARTY LIKE A PIRATE!

Playboy

• Getbig V
  • If the bar ain't bending, you're just pretending
« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2010, 01:25:27 PM »
Must kids' obeisity problems stem from poor diets not enforced by parents and not enough of an active lifestyle. Parents are the ones in control. If parents choose to feed their kids McDonalds three to four times per week with ice cream desert promised afterwards, then they are soley the ones to blame here. They are equal to drug pushers because they are pushing junk food onto their kids. Just because a kid cries for junk that doesn't mean that one should give it to them. The dog wags the tail...not the other way around. Get those kids out of the bedroom from playing videogames and out on a baseball diamond, soccer field or whatever. Anything to be active.

newmom

« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2010, 03:47:07 PM »
that is such a crock of shit if you ask me. Yes the schools feed them shit, that it's why parents need to make sure healthy food at home. Teach them the value of health and good eating habits. Rewards to fast food places is not the answer

tonymctones

• Getbig V
« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2010, 04:17:49 PM »
My little brother's always had a weight problem,yet the rest of my siblings never did.Our diet wasn't any different,depends on a person's metabolism also.75% of American males are unfit for military service because of the growing trend. :(
the military does some crazy stuff I am unfit for military service b/c of weight and height requirements... ::)

newmom

« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2010, 04:37:43 PM »
See the sad thing, is when most of us were young..in the 70's and 80's we could play outside without worrying some sick fuck would steal us or do us harm. We didnt have the internet. I for one was lucky, we had an inground pool so being in so california we got to swim year round.

Playboy

• Getbig V
« Reply #9 on: June 21, 2010, 05:19:38 AM »
See the sad thing, is when most of us were young..in the 70's and 80's we could play outside without worrying some sick fuck would steal us or do us harm. We didnt have the internet. I for one was lucky, we had an inground pool so being in so california we got to swim year round.
Funny you should mention that Newmom. I just had this discussion yesterday with my dad and we were discussing how I would go out and play with my friends from day to night all alone on the street and not worry about getting kidnapped or Lord knows what else. I remember even at recess in elementry school, we used to play sports, tag, etc. Now 11 year olds go hide in the corner and smoke cigeretts and I don't even want to know what the girls are doing. Times have certainly changed.

newmom

« Reply #10 on: June 21, 2010, 05:58:34 AM »
Exactly Playboy, also who the hell wanted to stay inside. I could see if you live in a place in the wintertime with the cold but other than that. Also, IMO, alot of parents don't want to involve their kids in after school activities, I.E karate, swimming or whatever. For some I understand its difficult with work schedules and the alike.

My mom was telling me a story the other day. I was about 12 years old and she sent me to get milk at the store around 9am. Left on my bike and got back around 6pm or so. She said she was a tad worried but those were the times, you didnt worry about that stuff with sickos. I mean now kids have cell phones, which I think is a good idea. In the same breath though, I see 7 and 8 year olds walking to school alone, THAT I dont think is smart in this day and age.

loco

• Getbig V
  • loco like a fox
« Reply #11 on: June 21, 2010, 09:38:33 AM »
Anybody here see the 2007 film "The Girl Next Door" or read the 1989 novel of the same name by Jack Ketchum?  It is loosely based on the true story of the 1965 torture and murder of 16 year old Sylvia Likens.  It was described as "the most terrible crime ever committed in the state of Indiana."

I believe there have always been the same sick people out there, but there was just a time when it was done more behind closed doors than it is today.

Butterbean

• Getbig V
« Reply #12 on: June 21, 2010, 09:47:54 AM »
Anybody here see the 2007 film "The Girl Next Door" or read the 1989 novel of the same name by Jack Ketchum?  It is loosely based on the true story of the 1965 torture and murder of 16 year old Sylvia Likens.  It was described as "the most terrible crime ever committed in the state of Indiana."

I believe there have always been the same sick people out there, but there was just a time when it was done more behind closed doors than it is today.

No...did they catch the person that did it?
R

loco

• Getbig V
  • loco like a fox
« Reply #13 on: June 21, 2010, 11:21:12 AM »
No...did they catch the person that did it?

**** SPOILER ALERT *****

Both in the movie and in the true story, the poor girl was tortured by the woman trusted to care for her, and the woman's children, and some other kids from the neighborhood.  That's what so terrible about it.  All these people participated in the torture of this poor girl, for almost three months, and nobody did anything to help her.  The "mom" of the house was mainly responsible for all of it, the torture and the murder.

In the movie, the woman is killed.  In the true story, she, her children and some of the other people involved go to jail.  She was given life in prison, but later paroled because of good conduct, then died of lung cancer shortly after that.  The whole story makes me very sad and very angry at the same time.

Playboy

• Getbig V
« Reply #14 on: June 21, 2010, 11:33:02 AM »

We had a similar story here in Toronto back in 1993. The serial killers name was Paul Bernardo. He and his wife at the time were accomplices in the raping, killing and torturing of multiple women including the killers wife's sister. It was huge on the news here. He did get caught and went to trial but his idiot wife cut a deal with the crown and got a way lesser sentence for her participation. They found small camcorder tapes hidden in a pot light in the couples home and the footage contained the rape & torcher of 2 women.
Unbelievable.

loco

• Getbig V
  • loco like a fox
« Reply #15 on: June 21, 2010, 12:45:20 PM »
We had a similar story here in Toronto back in 1993. The serial killers name was Paul Bernardo. He and his wife at the time were accomplices in the raping, killing and torturing of multiple women including the killers wife's sister. It was huge on the news here. He did get caught and went to trial but his idiot wife cut a deal with the crown and got a way lesser sentence for her participation. They found small camcorder tapes hidden in a pot light in the couples home and the footage contained the rape & torcher of 2 women.
Unbelievable.

Disgusting!

Playboy

• Getbig V
« Reply #16 on: June 21, 2010, 01:15:26 PM »
Disgusting!
It is still talked about today. There is a personal bounty on both as people still want their heads on a platter.

Mr Nobody

• Getbig V
« Reply #17 on: June 21, 2010, 01:20:14 PM »
Unbelievable.
I saw this on ID TV awhile back some crazy people no doubt.

Playboy

• Getbig V
« Reply #18 on: June 21, 2010, 01:28:22 PM »
I saw this on ID TV awhile back some crazy people no doubt.
His wife Carla Homolka was realeased from prison a few years back and she re-located to Montreal with a changed name, different look, etc. Nice huh?

Mr Nobody

• Getbig V
« Reply #19 on: June 21, 2010, 01:32:10 PM »
His wife Carla Homolka was realeased from prison a few years back and she re-located to Montreal with a changed name, different look, etc. Nice huh?
How can they let a person like that back out on the streets? She should have gotten the death penalty

Playboy

• Getbig V
« Reply #20 on: June 22, 2010, 04:37:38 AM »
How can they let a person like that back out on the streets? She should have gotten the death penalty
She cut a deal with the devil. She agreed to co-operate with the RCMP to give him up in exchange for a much lighter sentence. He killed and she was his accomplice. She got like 9 years for manslaughter or something along those lines. He got nailed for the murder/rape of two yonge women here. One was 14 and the other was 15. He basically kidnapped them (one at a time) and held them hostage in his home. While he raped them his wife basically videotaped the whole thing. He had hours of footage of himself raping these poor women in ever orfus imaginable. He torchered them with hot curling irons, etc. It was Canada's most sadistic crime. If Canada had the death penalty, he would definately have received it.

Princess L

• Getbig V
  • I stop for turtles
« Reply #21 on: June 22, 2010, 06:28:15 AM »

My mom was telling me a story the other day. I was about 12 years old and she sent me to get milk at the store around 9am. Left on my bike and got back around 6pm or so. She said she was a tad worried but those were the times, you didnt worry about that stuff with sickos. I mean now kids have cell phones, which I think is a good idea. In the same breath though, I see 7 and 8 year olds walking to school alone, THAT I dont think is smart in this day and age.

Did you remember the milk?
:

newmom

« Reply #22 on: June 22, 2010, 06:30:12 AM »
Did you remember the milk?

Actually I dont know, I will definately have to ask. Knowing me probably not

Mr Nobody

• Getbig V
« Reply #23 on: June 22, 2010, 06:38:14 AM »
She cut a deal with the devil. She agreed to co-operate with the RCMP to give him up in exchange for a much lighter sentence. He killed and she was his accomplice. She got like 9 years for manslaughter or something along those lines. He got nailed for the murder/rape of two yonge women here. One was 14 and the other was 15. He basically kidnapped them (one at a time) and held them hostage in his home. While he raped them his wife basically videotaped the whole thing. He had hours of footage of himself raping these poor women in ever orfus imaginable. He torchered them with hot curling irons, etc. It was Canada's most sadistic crime. If Canada had the death penalty, he would definately have received it.
Didnt they rape and kill her sister too?

Playboy

• Getbig V
« Reply #24 on: June 22, 2010, 06:45:05 AM »
Didnt they rape and kill her sister too?
They certainly did but there was no proof of it. It all came out later because Carla Homolka tried to write a book to make $$$$ and capitalize on the situation. Bernardo was responsible for two murders only instead of something like 10. Sad shit. I feel bad for the families. Can you imagine? One of your loved ones going through that ordeal and then this bitch on top of getting a very weak sentence, comes out of jail and writes a book. Wow.