Author Topic: Walmart Holding Canned Food Drive For Its Own Underpaid Employees  (Read 19489 times)

Primemuscle

• Getbig V
Re: Walmart Holding Canned Food Drive For Its Own Underpaid Employees
« Reply #125 on: November 23, 2013, 09:56:58 PM »
YUP, been there personally...You know what I did prime?

I went back to school at night while working got ANOTHER degree that was marketable and after graduating and getting a good job went to school at night for my MBA so that I would never have to go through that again....

Dont give me the cry me a river bull shit, these people need to do what they need to do to get a better job. Dont sit there and complain about your situation, do something to better it.

I admire your ambition. Like you, I have always done whatever was necessary (and within the law) to make a living for my family. Nothing was handed to me. Although my parents weren't poor, they didn't pay for my education, I did. I worked at some fairly crappy jobs, in terms of benefits and wages when I was young and our family survived. I must also give credit to my wife who would have preferred to be a stay at home mom, but helped support our family when my income alone didn't suffice.

Frankly, I hope these folks don't all decide to go get a better job at once or the rest of us are going to be in a world of hurt. If there was no itinerant farm labor, groceries would skyrocket and we'd all be scrambling to find enough money to keep our fridges stocked. In Oregon, you cannot pump your own gas. If it weren't for those folks willing to work for peanuts who pump our gas for us, well....I guess the legislature would have to quickly change the law.

My stepfather was an 8th grade graduate from an extremely poor polish immigrant family. His stepdad was a drunk who worked as a coal miner and "owed his soul to the company store." As soon as he could, my stepdad fled that life to make a better one for himself. And he did, eventually. He did this because above all else he had ambition and a willingness to work his ass off. Thanks to his ambition and success, my childhood was anything but one of impoverishment. We weren't wealthy, but we lived very well.

While I still believe ambition is key, I am a realist. Sometimes despite all the ambition in the world doesn't cut it. Sometimes some people have incredibly bad luck. I'll give you that the number of people in this unfortunate group are not as plentiful as some would have the rest of us think, but bad things do happen to good people some of the time.

Primemuscle

• Getbig V
« Reply #126 on: November 23, 2013, 10:06:53 PM »
First, WHAT THE FUCK is a young person with no skills doing with a family to support?

SOMEONE ELSES FUCK UPS, should not be our responsibility...PERIOD

Yes prime, idiots making idiotic decisions is FAR TO COMMON. I think we should let these people deal with the consequences of their decisions and maybe their children will learn from their parents mistakes.

Exactly right, young people shouldn't be making babies when they are essentially still babies themselves, but they do. And when they do, sometimes their lack of forethought becomes other's responsibility. In times past, families were closer and they assumed enough responsibility to help one another out in times of need. Such is not the case as often today, unfortunately....at least not in the U.S. I don't like supporting other peoples mistakes any better then you do. Can you suggest an option? Should we sterilize those who continue to reproduce without the resources to be responsible for their product? Maybe, like in some countries we could simply off the excess children at birth. Somehow, I don't see this happening, do you?

It is great to yak on about how things ought to work, but you and I and most of the rest of the folks have little ability to make sweeping changes to make things as we'd like them to be. In the end, it is all just talk, isn't it?

Primemuscle

• Getbig V
« Reply #127 on: November 23, 2013, 10:16:17 PM »
Doesn't have to be defined. It's relative.

Get real.  Most companies pay folks as little as possible for the work they do. We're talking about Walmart here, but Walmart is hardly alone in this. Many companies underpay employees and as a result they often have labor problems.

I don't see this changing anytime soon, although recently Walmart discovered they were losing business because of their employment tactics, that being hiring temporary workers who have absolutely no investment in their jobs and thus do a crappy one. Supposedly, Walmart is rethinking their strategy and say they are making more employees fulltime workers with benefits. Maybe this is how the employment market balances. As customer service gets worse and worse at these large retail outfits who rely on volume in sales and their customers flee to other locations where employees have more of an investment in their jobs and thus more of a commitment to customer service, they will have to change to survive. 

tonymctones

• Getbig V
« Reply #128 on: November 23, 2013, 10:16:39 PM »
Exactly right, young people shouldn't be making babies when they are essentially still babies themselves, but they do. And when they do, sometimes their lack of forethought becomes other's responsibility. In times past, families were closer and they assumed enough responsibility to help one another out in times of need. Such is not the case as often today, unfortunately....at least not in the U.S. I don't like supporting other peoples mistakes any better then you do. Can you suggest an option? Should we sterilize those who continue to reproduce without the resources to be responsible for their product? Maybe, like in some countries we could simply off the excess children at birth. Somehow, I don't see this happening, do you?

It is great to yak on about how things ought to work, but you and I and most of the rest of the folks have little ability to make sweeping changes to make things as we'd like them to be. In the end, it is all just talk, isn't it?
first let me address your line of thinking, so we should just bend over and take it up the ass by these idiots who will by all probable statistics make more babies while on government assistance and let them escape from their bad decisions on the backs of others?

how about we make these idiots take some personal responsibility?

I have said many times if you are on govt assistance you shouldnt be allowed to have more children then you already do. They should be given actual food instead of cards

The issue is you give a person an inch and they take a mile. Sooner or later you have more people taking miles then giving into the system. Look at Greece, France etc. The US is at that tipping point now and if things arent done in a hurry there wont be a future for us.

Primemuscle

• Getbig V
« Reply #129 on: November 23, 2013, 10:21:58 PM »
more than what the market provides

define "paid fairly"

Fairly means in my opinion that employees are paid wages and benefits consistent with other like corporations. If Safeway, Fred Meyer, Albertson's and others make solid profits while paying higher wages and providing benefits, so can corporations like Walmart.

RRKore

• Getbig IV
« Reply #130 on: November 23, 2013, 10:23:03 PM »
first let me address your line of thinking, so we should just bend over and take it up the ass by these idiots who will by all probable statistics make more babies while on government assistance and let them escape from their bad decisions on the backs of others?

I have said many times if you are on govt assistance you shouldnt be allowed to have more children then you already do. They should be given actual food instead of cards

The issue is you give a person an inch and they take a mile. Sooner or later you have more people taking miles then giving into the system. Look at Greece, France etc. The US is at that tipping point now and if things arent done in a hurry there wont be a future for us.

T, it's good that you're concerned.  Making unsupported comments about tipping points, though?  I don't know about that.  If you've been reading stuff along those lines, it'd be good for you to post some links.

Primemuscle

• Getbig V
« Reply #131 on: November 23, 2013, 10:25:50 PM »
AS IT SHOULD BE...Its our money, not the governments!!!!

You speak of the U.S. government as if it were some dictatorship. Government in the U.S. is a government of the people, by the people and for the people. Nothing happens without our input at some point. If you don't like the way government is operating, lobby and vote to change it. There are many places around the world where this is not a possibility without risking death. Think about that.

tonymctones

• Getbig V
« Reply #132 on: November 23, 2013, 10:26:11 PM »
Fairly means in my opinion that employees are paid wages and benefits consistent with other like corporations. If Safeway, Fred Meyer, Albertson's and others make solid profits while paying higher wages and providing benefits, so can corporations like Walmart.
LMFAO you do know they are completely other businesses with completely different operations, expenses and margins?

you see this is the problem with alot of the people with your point of view, they lack business sense. You guys generally have no idea how a business works internally, how actions effect different margins and how those margins effect the bottom line.

tonymctones

• Getbig V
« Reply #133 on: November 23, 2013, 10:28:47 PM »
T, it's good that you're concerned.  Making unsupported comments about tipping points, though?  I don't know about that.  If you've been reading stuff along those lines, it'd be good for you to post some links.
how many people are working as opposed to not working?

the trillions in debt that is ever increasing, is a great indication as well

waiting until the problem is a problem is to late, addressing the problem before it becomes a problem is what needs to happen.

I assume you can agree that it is a problem?

Roger Bacon

• Getbig V
  • Roger Bacon tries to be witty and fails
« Reply #134 on: November 23, 2013, 10:29:52 PM »
How the hell is this stupid thread still going? lol

If the workers are getting screwed it's their own fault.

tonymctones

• Getbig V
« Reply #135 on: November 23, 2013, 10:30:58 PM »
You speak of the U.S. government as if it were some dictatorship. Government in the U.S. is a government of the people, by the people and for the people. Nothing happens without our input at some point. If you don't like the way government is operating, lobby and vote to change it. There are many places around the world where this is not a possibility without risking death. Think about that.
So let me get this straight, its up to me to be active in changing the govt but its not up to people with no skills, education or experience to obtain them to better themselves?

Primemuscle

• Getbig V
« Reply #136 on: November 23, 2013, 10:31:47 PM »
so what youre saying is there was only one country with a higher tax rate than the US?

why would any business that has the ability to save money by moving operations over sea's NOT DO SO?

Let's be clear here, this is in reference to corporate tax. Corporate tax is just one of many taxes in any country. Don't make the mistake of oversimplifying this issue. If you were correct, then your statement would also be correct. Trust me corporations don't operate in the U.S. despite corporate tax rates out of the goodness of their hearts. There are other tax reasons/incentives for doing so.

Oregon has no sales tax. Wonder why everyone doesn't move here to avoid sales tax? Well our income and property tax is somewhat higher than some of our neighboring states.

tonymctones

• Getbig V
« Reply #137 on: November 23, 2013, 10:33:26 PM »
So let me get this straight, its up to me to be active in changing the govt but its not up to people with no skills, education or experience to obtain them to better themselves?

why cant I just sit on my ass and expect others to do this for me?

I mean to me it seems like youre saying its the American way

tonymctones

• Getbig V
« Reply #138 on: November 23, 2013, 10:38:14 PM »
Let's be clear here, this is in reference to corporate tax. Corporate tax is just one of many taxes in any country. Don't make the mistake of oversimplifying this issue. If you were correct, then your statement would also be correct. Trust me corporations don't operate in the U.S. despite corporate tax rates out of the goodness of their hearts. There are other tax reasons/incentives for doing so.

Oregon has no sales tax. Wonder why everyone doesn't move here to avoid sales tax? Well our income and property tax is somewhat higher than some of our neighboring states.

I was oversimplifying to make a point

If a business can operate effectively for less else where, THEY ARE GOING TO DO IT!!!!!

If you can buy the same house for $200K or $250K, which one are you going to pay?

make it cheaper for business to operate here in the US and they will do it

Roger Bacon

• Getbig V
  • Roger Bacon tries to be witty and fails
« Reply #139 on: November 23, 2013, 10:39:10 PM »

That's why we need to cut taxes across the board and become business friendly again.

Primemuscle

• Getbig V
« Reply #140 on: November 23, 2013, 10:42:29 PM »

You are an idealist who lacks logic. Your ideals will never fly. I am as angry as you are about people having piles of children they cannot afford to raise and often don't provide for in anyway. These people remind me of stray cats producing litters of children that often end up in the pound or at the humane society. But people aren't cats and we don't euthanize their unwanted babies.

Incidentally, the cards provided folks for buying food only allow them to buy food. Now one could argue that some people buy steaks with these cards when hamburger would be more inline with their needs and they would be right. So do let us consider handing out food products instead. Who should do this? You are opposed to more government. Should the grocery stores hire folks to give food to qualified needy folks? Who is going to pay these employee's salary? There is no profit in giving food away. If the stores have to pay the folks who man this program, they'll have to pass that expense along to those of us who pay for our food.

James28

• Getbig V
  • toilet roll of peace
« Reply #141 on: November 23, 2013, 10:45:18 PM »
Get real.  Most companies pay folks as little as possible for the work they do. We're talking about Walmart here, but Walmart is hardly alone in this. Many companies underpay employees and as a result they often have labor problems.

Then you go elsewhere. Sweet fuck, I might as well put this in my sig so I don't have to keep repeating myself.

The people that worked hard enough to be able to run those companies or those who started those companies, can run it any way they please or pay whatever they deem fair, within the rule of law off course.

The other companies within the same market pays more? Then go get a job there. Or is the Walmart management forcing people into their stores and factories at gunpoint?

I'm truly sorry that you're not able to see it for the way it is, instead of the way you wished it were.

RRKore

• Getbig IV
« Reply #142 on: November 23, 2013, 10:46:26 PM »
how many people are working as opposed to not working?

the trillions in debt that is ever increasing, is a great indication as well

waiting until the problem is a problem is to late, addressing the problem before it becomes a problem is what needs to happen.

I assume you can agree that it is a problem?

Problem, yeah.  Saying we're at a "tipping point" (without using any qualifying language like "we may be at a ...") seems to be saying a lot more than just saying that we have a problem that could result in some horrible outcomes so I was wondering if you had any supporting links.  

RRKore

• Getbig IV
« Reply #143 on: November 23, 2013, 10:49:55 PM »

The people that worked hard enough to be able to run those companies or those who started those companies, can run it any way they please or pay whatever they deem fair, within the rule of law off course.

Isn't the "rule of law" what's in question here?  The law, fortunately, gets to be decided upon with input from those running the companies and from those who might work for the companies.

tonymctones

• Getbig V
« Reply #144 on: November 23, 2013, 10:50:04 PM »
You are an idealist who lacks logic. Your ideals will never fly. I am as angry as you are about people having piles of children they cannot afford to raise and often don't provide for in anyway. These people remind me of stray cats producing litters of children that often end up in the pound or at the humane society. But people aren't cats and we don't euthanize their unwanted babies.

Incidentally, the cards provided folks for buying food only allow them to buy food. Now one could argue that some people buy steaks with these cards when hamburger would be more inline with their needs and they would be right. So do let us consider handing out food products instead. Who should do this? You are opposed to more government. Should the grocery stores hire folks to give food to qualified needy folks? Who is going to pay these employee's salary? There is no profit in giving food away. If the stores have to pay the folks who man this program, they'll have to pass that expense along to those of us who pay for our food.
stopping people from having kids while taking tax payers money, LACKS LOGIC???

LMFAO how so?

you dont necissarily have to give them food but limiting what they can buy on those cards is a start. You should be limited to a small number of cheap and healthy choices, CHEAP BEING THE KEY.

If you want to actually give food, they businesses can be reimbursed for the food they give to these individuals...no extra employees needed.

Again not to pick on you prime, you really seem to lack a general sense of how a business works from the inside.

Primemuscle

• Getbig V
« Reply #145 on: November 23, 2013, 10:50:19 PM »
LMFAO you do know they are completely other businesses with completely different operations, expenses and margins?

you see this is the problem with alot of the people with your point of view, they lack business sense. You guys generally have no idea how a business works internally, how actions effect different margins and how those margins effect the bottom line.

Wall Mart, Fred Meyer, Target and others are all vying for the same customer base. In my neighborhood, Safeway, Albertsons and the Wallmart Neighborhood Market are all geared towards the same customers. I intentionally did not mention, Market of Choice because their customers aren't looking for the best price so much as they are the best quality and top notch customer service. However, I think most customers expect good customer service.

Primemuscle

• Getbig V
« Reply #146 on: November 23, 2013, 10:55:04 PM »

I think it is time for you to log off. Your posts are bordering on the ridiculous at this point. No one made the comparison you suggested here. One thing has virtually nothing to do with the other.

What I find all to often is that the folks who do the most griping about big government or just government in general, take no active stance to change what they don't like. In fact, many don't even bother to vote and often they are the very people who are the most vocal about election results. Seems pretty stupid to me.

tonymctones

• Getbig V
« Reply #147 on: November 23, 2013, 10:57:05 PM »
Problem, yeah.  Saying we're at a "tipping point" (without using any qualifying language like "we may be at a ...") seems to be saying a lot more than just saying that we have a problem that could result in some horrible outcomes so I was wondering if you had any supporting links.  
what links would you like?

I could link you to the ever increasing debt?

the number of people on govt assistance vs those working etc

tonymctones

• Getbig V
« Reply #148 on: November 23, 2013, 10:58:08 PM »

Wall Mart, Fred Meyer, Target and others are all vying for the same customer base. In my neighborhood, Safeway, Albertsons and the Wallmart Neighborhood Market are all geared towards the same customers. I intentionally did not mention, Market of Choice because their customers aren't looking for the best price so much as they are the best quality and top notch customer service. However, I think most customers expect good customer service.

simply b/c your vying for the same customer base doesnt mean your operations, expenses and margins are similar...LMFAO

BUSINESS SENSE!!!!!

tonymctones

• Getbig V
« Reply #149 on: November 23, 2013, 11:00:08 PM »
I think it is time for you to log off. Your posts are bordering on the ridiculous at this point. No one made the comparison you suggested here. One thing has virtually nothing to do with the other.

What I find all to often is that the folks who do the most griping about big government or just government in general, take no active stance to change what they don't like. In fact, many don't even bother to vote and often they are the very people who are the most vocal about election results. Seems pretty stupid to me.
what you have said is while its someones responsibility to get more education, skills and experience it doesnt matter so we have to support these fuck ups.

at the same time, it is my responsibility to make changes to the govt if I dont like it and thats all there is to it...

WHY NOT APPLY THAT SAME LOGIC TO THE FUCK UPS????