Author Topic: Mayweather sets a challenge for Liddell  (Read 17081 times)

sandycoosworth

Re: Mayweather sets a challenge for Liddell
« Reply #75 on: April 14, 2007, 06:23:24 PM »
Of course it was boxing rules.   I think liddel would agree with him.  However, in mma things would be different, but that is why I do NOT get the boxing vs mma debate...they are completely seperate sports....
The debates should just stop and both sports go on. 

I know mma guys that are known in mma for their hands and they would not get by the semis in the open NYS golden gloves tournament...and that's fine because I'm sure most boxers wouldn't get by the state semis in high school wrestling.  completely diferent all together.

solid post

americanbulldog

• Getbig IV
« Reply #76 on: April 15, 2007, 07:31:25 PM »
I also agree: in general, boxers will win via Marquis of Queensbury rules, while MMA guys will win by MMA rules.  As for 'well, the real money's in boxing,' historically this may be true and will probably continue to be true for another decade or two, but A) not if Americans don't get to winning titles again; and B) not if the popularity of MMA continues like it has. 

Reckon this for a second to appreciate how MMA has skyrocketed: Sportscenter recently reported GSP's loss on ESPN.  I've never heard Sportcenter report on bodybuilding, or kickboxing, for that matter (both of which I like better than MMA from a fan standpoint).  If that's not MMA showing signs of being taken pretty seriously in the sportsworld, I don't know what is.       

Dana has put 2 million on the table for PBF to fight Sean Sherk.  I don't think PBF will jump, but if he did, it would serve to legitimize MMA more in the eyes of the 18-34 demographics after Sherk took PBF downed and pounded him. 

legbreaker

• Getbig IV
« Reply #77 on: April 15, 2007, 09:33:29 PM »
Why in the world would a guy that gets millions to box...something he's trained and lived his whole life, compete with a NOBODY (relative name wise to him) in MMA?

This is ridiculous.  White could offer a billion and Floyd shouldn't do it.

However, stand up and box with 4 ox gloves on and the Sherk kid will be in a funeral procession the next day...and he'll be the lead!

Benny B

• Time Out
  • Getbig V
  • Ron = 'Princess L' & many other gimmicks - FACT!
« Reply #78 on: April 16, 2007, 01:31:02 AM »
Why in the world would a guy that gets millions to box...something he's trained and lived his whole life, compete with a NOBODY (relative name wise to him) in MMA?

This is ridiculous.  White could offer a billion and Floyd shouldn't do it.
However, stand up and box with 4 ox gloves on and the Sherk kid will be in a funeral procession the next day...and he'll be the lead!
If PBF wouldn't fight in mma even for a BILLION dollars, then he should shut the fuck up on issuing challenges to mma fighters like Chuck.
!

legbreaker

• Getbig IV
« Reply #79 on: April 16, 2007, 11:54:54 AM »
If PBF wouldn't fight in mma even for a BILLION dollars, then he should shut the fuck up on issuing challenges to mma fighters like Chuck.

His challenge was to use fist only.  Since BOTH he and Chuck do that I don't see the problem.  However, since Floyd NEVER wrestled, or used and mma skill I DO understand why he wouldn't choose to do that.

What's unfair about issuing a challenge to a guy that ALSO uses his fist to make money?

Benny B

• Time Out
  • Getbig V
  • Ron = 'Princess L' & many other gimmicks - FACT!
« Reply #80 on: April 16, 2007, 04:16:14 PM »
His challenge was to use fist only.  Since BOTH he and Chuck do that I don't see the problem.  However, since Floyd NEVER wrestled, or used and mma skill I DO understand why he wouldn't choose to do that.

What's unfair about issuing a challenge to a guy that ALSO uses his fist to make money?
Chuck has the OPTION to use other "weapons" in mma, depending on his opponent's strengths and weaknesses. Hence the utter stupidity of Floyd's challenge.  ::)
Once again Floyd should shut the fuck up on trash talking mma fighters...unless he's willing to get in the cage himself. He needs to stick to preparing for Oscar if he wants to retire with a perfect record.
!

legbreaker

• Getbig IV
« Reply #81 on: April 16, 2007, 11:01:23 PM »
I agree with that, benny.

He should focus on building his own fight and not bringing down others.

MindSpin

• Getbig V
  • MMA > Boxing
« Reply #82 on: April 18, 2007, 11:21:45 AM »
Mayweather Talks Smack on Liddell, White Responds

UFC president Dana White had some harsh words for boxer Floyd Mayweather, Jr. during a media conference call on Monday, in response to things Mayweather said in his own conference call last week.

"You know, Floyd Mayweather just came out and said some stupid s— about Chuck Liddell," White said.

Last week, Mayweather — on a conference call to help promote his May 5 fight with Oscar De La Hoya — disrespected the UFC and the sport of MMA in general, specifically UFC light heavyweight champion Liddell. Mayweather questioned whether the dominant Liddell could hang with a good boxer.

"We should put Liddell against a good heavyweight, under Mayweather Promotions," Mayweather said last week. "If Chuck wins, then I’ll give him a million dollars out of my own pocket."

Dana White — himself a former amateur boxer before heading up the most successful MMA promotion in U.S. history — scoffed at Mayweather’s challenge and called Mayweather’s box-office value into question.

"(He said) he’d pay a million dollars if Chuck could hang with a heavyweight boxer," White said Monday. "How about if he pays a million dollars to see if a heavyweight boxer can fight MMA with Chuck Liddell? Or, even better, I’ll put up a million dollars of my own money if Floyd Mayweather can sell more than 10 tickets without Oscar De La Hoya."

UFC took the world of pay-per-view by storm in 2006, topping boxing PPV events in buy rates almost without exception. Although UFC does not release PPV performance numbers, reports indicate that De La Hoya’s May 6, 2006, fight against Ricardo Mayorga was the only boxing PPV of the year that did numbers competitive with UFC shows. UFC’s last PPV of 2006 — featuring Liddell vs. Tito Ortiz on Dec. 30 — is believed to have surpassed the De La Hoya buy rate.

In promoting his own upcoming fight with De La Hoya, Mayweather scoffed at UFC and its fighters.

"UFC ain’t s—," Mayweather said. "It ain’t but a fad. Anyone can put a tattoo on their head and get in a street fight."

"These are guys who couldn’t make it in boxing," he added. "So they do (MMA). Boxing is the best sport in the world and it’s here to stay."

UFC’s Monday press conference was to promote Saturday’s UFC 69 PPV event, which marks the first UFC show ever held in Texas. The show will take place in Houston.

When asked about UFC fighter Diego Sanchez’s publicized training sessions with De La Hoya, Dana White dismissed the idea that Sanchez might have learned "proper" boxing techniques from De La Hoya that might give him an edge in striking against arch-nemesis Josh Koscheck.

"Boxing and mixed martial arts are totally different," White said. "You distribute your weight differently because you have to worry about takedowns and leg kicks. It’s completely different. Boxing and mixed martial arts are apples and oranges."
w

20inch calves

• Getbig V
« Reply #83 on: April 19, 2007, 02:54:28 PM »
i'd pay a million dollars out of my own pocket if he could sell 10 tickets without Oscar de la hoya..thats great.

i watched the special on hbo promoting mayweather de la hoya fight and i got to say that mayweather is the stupiest,, most cocky guy i ever seen in my life. i can't stand him. i hope SOMEBODY knocks that dude out.

i'd pay 100buck ppv to see him get in the cage with chuck and fight mma
irongearco.com

legbreaker

• Getbig IV
« Reply #84 on: April 19, 2007, 04:02:36 PM »
i'd pay a million dollars out of my own pocket if he could sell 10 tickets without Oscar de la hoya..thats great.

i watched the special on hbo promoting mayweather de la hoya fight and i got to say that mayweather is the stupiest,, most cocky guy i ever seen in my life. i can't stand him. i hope SOMEBODY knocks that dude out.

i'd pay 100buck ppv to see him get in the cage with chuck and fight mma

Would yopu pay a hundred to see chuck lace up the ten ounces and step in a boxing ring with lennox lewis?

Mind you, if you ever saw lennow lewis throw a punch full speed with otu gloves or with 4 oz pads you would be shocked because never has anyone seen such raw power, technique and speed as a top boxers punch.

MindSpin

• Getbig V
  • MMA > Boxing
« Reply #85 on: April 19, 2007, 04:31:07 PM »
Would yopu pay a hundred to see chuck lace up the ten ounces and step in a boxing ring with lennox lewis?

Mind you, if you ever saw lennow lewis throw a punch full speed with otu gloves or with 4 oz pads you would be shocked because never has anyone seen such raw power, technique and speed as a top boxers punch.

You couldn't pay me $100 to watch that.  Boxing sucks and it's boring. 
w