Author Topic: Calf Raises  (Read 2740 times)

ngm21084

• Getbig IV
  • D.I.L.L.I.G.A.F.
Calf Raises
« on: September 02, 2009, 07:08:42 AM »
I dont think ive ver seen these done before and they work pretty good what you do is put your left foot up on a bench so your knees at 90 degreeds and out your left hand on the knee for a little support while your right hand picks up the db off the bench or whereever....then with just right leg and DB in right hand do a calf raise...works pretty good and is something ive never seen before....Good Luck

jpm101

• Getbig IV
Re: Calf Raises
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2009, 07:53:52 AM »
Only problem being that with the left (or right)  foot on a bench you are not getting the full effect of all your bwt on the calf being worked. That is, if I am understanding what you are saying right. Adding a DB may help, depending on how much you will favor the left leg being your support on the bench. You might be favoring it more than you realize.

The simple one legged calf raise, DB held on the side being worked, has produced some very good calf's in the past. And rather quickly. Full, fast and hard contraction at the top (like you were running sprints..just my opinion but he best for calf's)). Full complete and slower stretch at the bottom. Try standing 180 degrees or better still leaning back a bit  when doing most calf work, never forward when some leverage on the calf's is lost.

Also check out the calf section on this page for some really good ideas. Good Luck.
F

ngm21084

• Getbig IV
  • D.I.L.L.I.G.A.F.
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2009, 07:59:29 AM »

Only problem being that with the left (or right)  foot on a bench you are not getting the full effect of all your bwt on the calf being worked. That is, if I am understanding what you are saying right. Adding a DB may help, depending on how much you will favor the left leg being your support on the bench. You might be favoring it more than you realize.

The simple one legged calf raise, DB held on the side being worked, has produced some very good calf's in the past. And rather quickly. Full, fast and hard contraction at the top (like you were running sprints..just my opinion but he best for calf's)). Full complete and slower stretch at the bottom. Try standing 180 degrees or better still leaning back a bit  when doing most calf work, never forward when some leverage on the calf's is lost.

Also check out the calf section on this page for some really good ideas. Good Luck.

yea you have a good point but honestly i wasnt holding much to any support on the leg that was on the bench but i see what your saying...i was just trying to come up with something new another nes calf raise ive been doing is taking a DB and standing it up on my knee while holding it with my hand and doing calf raises with it....i like to keep the reps high and long with my calves i like to hold at the top and bottom almost overexaggerated...

jpm101

• Getbig IV
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2009, 08:32:11 AM »
For people who wish to train with serious intent: When in doubt about calf training, try doing 4 to 6 cycles of 30- 40 yard sprints for calf growth. This also hits the abs very strongly. Can also do these in sand, barefooted, for serious growth. Also run grades, sand or firm earth.

With regards to barefooted, try doing any calf raises type of work barefooted for a better stretch, feel and toe grip. More so than most $120 shoe offers. Gripping is an important factor for the calf's, with the shin getting extra work. Good Luck.

Side Bar:  Carlsbad Beach,weekend, straight down from Fidel's, to get some examples of  heavy beach sand sprints. Right after those, run up the hill to PCH for a finisher to the calves. Who's knows, I might be there.

F

ngm21084

• Getbig IV
  • D.I.L.L.I.G.A.F.
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2009, 03:43:28 PM »
actually i lift barefoot most of the time and all the time when doing deads or anything leg related...plus im at home so i know the relative cleanliness of my own floor...
For people who wish to train with serious intent: When in doubt about calf training, try doing 4 to 6 cycles of 30- 40 yard sprints for calf growth. This also hits the abs very strongly. Can also do these in sand, barefooted, for serious growth. Also run grades, sand or firm earth.

With regards to barefooted, try doing any calf raises type of work barefooted for a better stretch, feel and toe grip. More so than most $120 shoe offers. Gripping is an important factor for the calf's, with the shin getting extra work. Good Luck.

Side Bar:  Carlsbad Beach,weekend, straight down from Fidel's, to get some examples of  heavy beach sand sprints. Right after those, run up the hill to PCH for a finisher to the calves. Who's knows, I might be there.

wild willie

• Getbig V
« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2009, 01:48:06 PM »
seated calf raises.......5 sets......20 reps.......3 times a week

then switch to cybex rotary calf machine.......5 sets ........20 reps......3 times a week

after a month of this routine......abandon all calf work for a few weeks

then commence calf training again.....avoid standing calf raise as it applies too much pressure to the lower back. just my viewpoint.

ngm21084

• Getbig IV
  • D.I.L.L.I.G.A.F.
« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2009, 05:36:41 AM »

seated calf raises.......5 sets......20 reps.......3 times a week

then switch to cybex rotary calf machine.......5 sets ........20 reps......3 times a week

after a month of this routine......abandon all calf work for a few weeks

then commence calf training again.....avoid standing calf raise as it applies too much pressure to the lower back. just my viewpoint.

why after a month of working them stop for 2 weeks?  after about a month is when your going to see if what youve been doing has worked...

wild willie

• Getbig V
« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2009, 09:26:04 AM »

why after a month of working them stop for 2 weeks?  after about a month is when your going to see if what youve been doing has worked...
exactly......you will see the fruits of your labor.......but you must rest the muscle or it will not recover......you take time off only to come back and shock it again......the element of surprise. try it!

wild willie

• Getbig V
« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2009, 09:27:46 AM »

Re-read my post......you are training your calves 3 times a week.......5 sets per workout. You'll need to rest your calves, trust me.

wild willie

• Getbig V
« Reply #9 on: September 09, 2009, 09:31:44 AM »
5 sets......3 times a week.......one exercise

seated calf raise.......then switch to cybex rotary calf machine......keep the muscle guessing.

wild willie

• Getbig V
« Reply #10 on: September 09, 2009, 09:32:46 AM »
blast the calves in this manner for a month.......then rest and do no calf work for a few weeks.

ngm21084

• Getbig IV
  • D.I.L.L.I.G.A.F.
« Reply #11 on: September 09, 2009, 11:09:46 AM »
blast the calves in this manner for a month.......then rest and do no calf work for a few weeks.

i see what your saying...when you say seated calf raise you think in substitute for the plate loaded padded set up one could take a DB stand it up on end on your knee and do them one leg at a time that is what ive been doing ....i dont have access to any calf machines or anything along those lines...

KSA

• Getbig III
  • Getbig!
« Reply #12 on: September 10, 2009, 09:10:35 AM »
who think seated calf raises are useful for a calf routine ?

http://www.dailymotion.com/relevance/search/tech9/video/x2hh0w_seated-calf-raises_sport

wild willie

• Getbig V
« Reply #13 on: September 10, 2009, 09:30:05 AM »

i see what your saying...when you say seated calf raise you think in substitute for the plate loaded padded set up one could take a DB stand it up on end on your knee and do them one leg at a time that is what ive been doing ....i dont have access to any calf machines or anything along those lines...
yes.....dbs on the knees should do the trick......you could have a training partner sit on your back, and you could perform donkey calf raises the way Arnold used to.