Author Topic: Donnie Thompson shatters the all-time powerlifting total!  (Read 12953 times)

Tombo

• Getbig V
Re: Donnie Thompson shatters the all-time powerlifting total!
« Reply #25 on: January 21, 2008, 10:51:38 PM »
fucking insane ... that kind of weight in those lifts blows my mind

Cleanest Natural

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • Diet first, all else second
« Reply #26 on: January 21, 2008, 11:59:46 PM »
Donnie is a beast of a man.  He was a beast prior to ever using our products.  He loves MAXIMUS and uses it regularly.  I would like to think it has helped him, but what extent I have no idea.  I can just tell you he thinks it is important to consume regularly.

Chris..u are a great guy and a bussiness man . I respect that. What I don't understand is why you mention Donnies strenghth and  lifts as if your poowders had anything to do with them other than getting the ocasional shake of protein . Donnies strength is a result 99.99 % of steroids , hormones , other stuf, lots of hard work , and excellent catapulting lifting gear that make u lift things without spewing your bowels on the floor. The shakes contribute for 0.0000000000000000000000 000000000000000000000000 00001 of his succes....I do believe u have excellent products though and would love to distribute them in romania if u give me some free samples to test them first ( Mike wolfe recommended ) but on the GETBIG  forum....lets keep it REAL .  Keep up the good work , I admire what u do , but donnie is just a sponsored athlete . The best powerlifter at this moment I belive. ;)

fsu_pain_train

• Time Out
  • Getbig II
« Reply #27 on: January 22, 2008, 12:30:09 AM »
Incredible  :o
Team "You Won't Recover"

Hedgehog

• Getbig V
  • It Rubs The Lotion On Its Skin.
« Reply #28 on: January 22, 2008, 01:48:23 AM »
Chris..u are a great guy and a bussiness man . I respect that. What I don't understand is why you mention Donnies strenghth and  lifts as if your poowders had anything to do with them other than getting the ocasional shake of protein . Donnies strength is a result 99.99 % of steroids , hormones , other stuf, lots of hard work , and excellent catapulting lifting gear that make u lift things without spewing your bowels on the floor. The shakes contribute for 0.0000000000000000000000 000000000000000000000000 00001 of his succes....I do believe u have excellent products though and would love to distribute them in romania if u give me some free samples to test them first ( Mike wolfe recommended ) but on the GETBIG  forum....lets keep it REAL .  Keep up the good work , I admire what u do , but donnie is just a sponsored athlete . The best powerlifter at this moment I belive. ;)

Wow.

A post from Sevastase I actually agree a whole lot with.

Mason making some bullshit claim about how his supplements plays a significant part in making Donnie Thompson a good powerlifter simply isn't true.

Obviously.

There are many extremely impressive powerlifters or other athletes who doesn't use his supplements.

So lets cut the fcuking crap.

The At Large Nutrition products are awesome, and if you gonna buy protein powders or gainers, or MRP's, or creatine, or fat burners, pick a product from ALN. But it's not some kind of magic.

I do not agree with Sevastases opinion that Donnie Thompson is the best powerlifter right now however. I don't think there is one person in the powerlifting community who think so actually.

Brian Siders gets most votes, and I would put at least Ove Lehto, Gillingham and Cardella ahead of Thompson.

And what about Lambrionidis?

However, I doubt you will find anyone claiming Thompson ahead of Siders. Not even Thompson.

Also, I am getting sick and tired of supplement companies, and that includes At Large, having sponsored athletes that will not tell us if they are on the juice or not.

How are we gonna know if their results are from the use of the sponsors supplements, or from "other" supplements?

It's bordering on fraud if you have a guy that uses something other than your supplement line to get so strong or so big.

...or lose 100 lbs while keeping the strength. ;)

All I'm saying is: Keep it real.
As empty as paradise

Cleanest Natural

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • Diet first, all else second
« Reply #29 on: January 22, 2008, 03:54:01 AM »
True. I would wish Hedge for the supplement community to find a middle ground between promoting product using an athletes image and making false claims. For example Mike Wolfe told me he used At Large as 90 5 of his daily protein intake at somepoint in his downsizing which confirms that the product is excellent but say it's a " protein " source ....don't make it sound like :" use this protein and lift big...look at this athlete !" ...I believe it would be unfair to mislead the potential customer. Again we circle back to false advertising.

I ETA PI

• Getbig III
  • TAPPA KEGGA BREW!
« Reply #30 on: January 22, 2008, 12:12:13 PM »
True. I would wish Hedge for the supplement community to find a middle ground between promoting product using an athletes image and making false claims. For example Mike Wolfe told me he used At Large as 90 5 of his daily protein intake at somepoint in his downsizing which confirms that the product is excellent but say it's a " protein " source ....don't make it sound like :" use this protein and lift big...look at this athlete !" ...I believe it would be unfair to mislead the potential customer. Again we circle back to false advertising.

You speak Idiot very well as a second language. 

Bodvar

• Getbig II
« Reply #31 on: January 22, 2008, 12:26:54 PM »

I do not agree with Sevastases opinion that Donnie Thompson is the best powerlifter right now however. I don't think there is one person in the powerlifting community who think so actually.

Brian Siders gets most votes, and I would put at least Ove Lehto, Gillingham and Cardella ahead of Thompson.

Siders beat Thompson's raw TOTAL at the 2006 NERB by 30lbs.

Thompson has improved much more than Sider has since then, so I'd say Thompson is the better powerlifter at the moment.

JasonH

• Getbig V
« Reply #32 on: January 22, 2008, 12:30:54 PM »
Unbelieveable lift numbers. I don't follow powerlifting too much so I've never heard of Donnie Thompson but those lifts are amazing - especially the 900 bench.  :o

burn2live

• Getbig IV
« Reply #33 on: January 22, 2008, 01:26:57 PM »
for most big lifters..espeically at that size..the squat goes up and the dead gets hindered but I'm not sure why. ALOT of pepole say that. AND you get a shitload more out of a squat suit.. 300lbs almost with briefs, etc where as the best deadlifting suit out there gives you maybe 50lbs.

INCREDIBLE TOTAL!

I can't wait to see someone smoke 3k! I think andy bolton will do it before anyone else.

I guess these lifts were equipped then? Excuse my ignorance. Some insane weight!!!

Glenn Ross says he's going to begin powerlifting and aims to lift a raw 1100kg total.....

http://www.irishstrongman.com/aboutus/profile.asp

He could be in with a shout at 3k if he ever lifts equipped and finds a suit to fit!

hazbin

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #34 on: January 22, 2008, 02:33:34 PM »
Damn impressive.

One question, why is his DL low in comparison to his squat? Shouldn't they be closer in #?

Anyways, congrats to him.

Picture works fine for me. ::)

bench "shirts" add 250 + lbs.

squats can be aided by suits and depth may be leniant.

deadlifts can't really be assisted much and are all true power.

years ago the d.l. and squat used to be pretty much the same for any lifter, and the bench was about 70% of either.

triple_pickle

• Getbig IV
  • Pull Hard, Move Fast
« Reply #35 on: January 22, 2008, 03:37:47 PM »
One question, why is his DL low in comparison to his squat? Shouldn't they be closer in #?

ask yourself, why is his bench higher than his deadlift?  benching is such a fuccking joke these days....

chris_mason

• Getbig IV
  • Owner AtLarge Nutrition
« Reply #36 on: January 22, 2008, 03:39:05 PM »
Doesn't matter, his third attempt would have still been lower than his squat or bench

You are correct the gear helps a lot more on the squat or bench, but Donnie has squatted over 900 lbs raw and has a pull that is close to 900 lbs at this best.
w

chris_mason

• Getbig IV
« Reply #37 on: January 22, 2008, 03:41:15 PM »
The only problem I have with Mason is that he's probably the biggest kiss ass powerlifting has ever seen.

The typical response from Mason after a squat or benchpress is "Great lift". It could be a two inch squat by Mule Miller, it's still a great lift in Mason's world. ;D

But he's a very strong guy, and would do very well in deadlift competitions.

And he got into the blended protein stuff way back.

Hegde, that is because I respect all forms of great strength.  Even if a squat of 1100 lbs is a touch above parallel that is still an AMAZING lift. 
w

chris_mason

• Getbig IV
« Reply #38 on: January 22, 2008, 03:44:58 PM »

Do me a favor and read my response before giving me a hard time.  Here is what I said:

________________________ ________________________ ________________________ ________________________ ____
Quote from: Livewire on January 21, 2008, 11:54:39 PM
Mason,

What % of his success do you attribute to your products, and what % to the drugs?

Donnie is a beast of a man.  He was a beast prior to ever using our products.  He loves MAXIMUS and uses it regularly.  I would like to think it has helped him, but what extent I have no idea.  I can just tell you he thinks it is important to consume regularly.
________________________ ________________________ ________________________ ________________________ ____

So, I said I WOULD LIKE TO THINK MAXIMUS HELPED HIM, BUT I HAVE NO IDEA TO WHAT EXTENT.  How is that a claim about my products?  Geez, I could not have said it any more honestly than I did.

Donnie loves the product, he must think it does something.  That is all.

Chris

w

The Squadfather

• Getbig V
« Reply #39 on: January 22, 2008, 04:01:03 PM »
what ever happened to Garry Frank? that guy was tearing up the PL'ing record book a few years ago and then just disappeared.

chris_mason

• Getbig IV
« Reply #40 on: January 22, 2008, 04:08:47 PM »
He is still around.  I think he has had some injury related concerns.
w

The Squadfather

• Getbig V
« Reply #41 on: January 22, 2008, 04:10:07 PM »
He is still around.  I think he has had some injury related concerns.
that guy was a machine, one of the few guys with a MASSIVE deadlift AND bench press combo.

PANDAEMONIUM

• Getbig V
  • Scourge of the Northern Gods
« Reply #42 on: January 22, 2008, 07:00:42 PM »
that guy was a machine, one of the few guys with a MASSIVE deadlift AND bench press combo.

Back when he was active, that was the first time I ever heard serious talk about somebody finally hitting the big 3000.

Hedgehog

• Getbig V
« Reply #43 on: January 22, 2008, 10:37:26 PM »
Siders beat Thompson's raw TOTAL at the 2006 NERB by 30lbs.

Thompson has improved much more than Sider has since then, so I'd say Thompson is the better powerlifter at the moment.

No offence, but WTF?

Did you miss Siders' ass-raping of the IPF world record in benchpress and total recently?

He had a squat redlighted for stability issues, a squat he came up with like a rocket.

And neither his benchpress or his deadlift looked like any max efforts.

Donnie Thompson, very strong guy, yes.
As empty as paradise

Matt C

• Getbig V
  • The White Vince Goodrum
« Reply #44 on: January 22, 2008, 10:43:38 PM »
I have no idea, as that would not be a "total". 

I believe I read that Andy Bolton had this "total", and I believe it is an interesting piece of information for powerlifting enthusiasts.
Bodybuilding Pro.com

MisterMagoo

• Getbig V
  • And now, what joy will I have left to live for?
« Reply #45 on: January 23, 2008, 12:12:54 AM »
summary: hedgehog hates multi-ply lifters and shits on them whenever he can, and anyone who congratulates these lifters is an ass-kisser and will be ridiculed.

brian siders is the god of everything despite the fact that had thompson not gotten shitcocked at NERB's with his 875 squat (called on depth my ass ::) ) thompson would have won. and let's not forget thompson's smokeshow 805x3 raw.

for the record, siders' best squat at NERB was 785. say what you will about the monolift, donnie sunk three reps with more than siders' best. period. keep in mind i'm a huge siders' fan and think he's amongst the best of all time, but if you're going to argue that thompson isn't as well, then i dunno what to tell ya.

i swear hedge, you're a smart guy and a strong guy, but when it comes to the multi/single-ply/raw debates you turn into a frothing maniac.

Hedgehog

• Getbig V
« Reply #46 on: January 23, 2008, 02:56:38 AM »
summary: hedgehog hates multi-ply lifters and shits on them whenever he can, and anyone who congratulates these lifters is an ass-kisser and will be ridiculed.

brian siders is the god of everything despite the fact that had thompson not gotten shitcocked at NERB's with his 875 squat (called on depth my ass ::) ) thompson would have won. and let's not forget thompson's smokeshow 805x3 raw.

for the record, siders' best squat at NERB was 785. say what you will about the monolift, donnie sunk three reps with more than siders' best. period. keep in mind i'm a huge siders' fan and think he's amongst the best of all time, but if you're going to argue that thompson isn't as well, then i dunno what to tell ya.

i swear hedge, you're a smart guy and a strong guy, but when it comes to the multi/single-ply/raw debates you turn into a frothing maniac.

Thx.

I deserved that. :-[ ;D

But I never said Thompson wasn't strong. Strong as a bull. Great clip BTW.
As empty as paradise

England_1

• Getbig IV
« Reply #47 on: January 23, 2008, 02:58:48 AM »
Hedge OWNED ! 8)
Team Yates

BM OUT

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #48 on: January 23, 2008, 04:39:31 AM »
Its almost impossible to compare single ply guys to raw guys to multiply guys.If I had a vote,Id probably pick Siders as the strongest powerlifter right now.Just for the way he totally dominates weights.If he was allowed to use a real squat bar,he'd squat well over 1000lbs in single ply.He also just pulled 850+ and had a smile on his face at the top.

Donnie is awesome.If you've ever seen him pull,its unreal.He is so large that he cant get his hands wrapped around the bar[flexibility]so he holds onto it with his finger tips and still normally pulls in the 830-840 range.

So,I give the nod to Siders,but there is no way in the world,Cardella is even close to Donnie.Thats just silly.

Hedgehog

• Getbig V
« Reply #49 on: January 23, 2008, 05:01:07 AM »
Its almost impossible to compare single ply guys to raw guys to multiply guys.If I had a vote,Id probably pick Siders as the strongest powerlifter right now.Just for the way he totally dominates weights.If he was allowed to use a real squat bar,he'd squat well over 1000lbs in single ply.He also just pulled 850+ and had a smile on his face at the top.

Donnie is awesome.If you've ever seen him pull,its unreal.He is so large that he cant get his hands wrapped around the bar[flexibility]so he holds onto it with his finger tips and still normally pulls in the 830-840 range.

So,I give the nod to Siders,but there is no way in the world,Cardella is even close to Donnie.Thats just silly.

Hopefully they will use Eleiko or Leoko bars at his next full meets. The Ivanko bar seems to receive a bit of a bad rap for some reason?

Siders next meet is the benchpress at ASC however.
As empty as paradise