Author Topic: If you survived combat, God was with you  (Read 5452 times)

Agnostic007

• Getbig V
If you survived combat, God was with you
« on: September 05, 2019, 08:08:14 PM »
One of my ex military friends posted a meme that started out, "If you survived something like this (photo is a war zone) it means a couple of things, First and foremost God was with you... "

One of my corporals was diagnosed with stage 4 cancer at 40 years old and died a year later. She would tell me that when she read something like that it was insulting to her as a Christian. She believed in God, but she didn't feel God had abandoned her. As a non believer I can easily see her point. Someone reading this meme who lost a loved one in the war could easily be offended by the implications God wasn't with their loved ones. What's the compelling reason people do this and why can't they see it implies those who died were somehow less than those who survived?   

Irongrip400

• Getbig V
  • Pan Germanism, Pax Britannica
Re: If you survived combat, God was with you
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2019, 07:00:31 AM »
Do you have children?

Humble Narcissist

• Getbig V
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2019, 11:19:44 AM »
One of my ex military friends posted a meme that started out, "If you survived something like this (photo is a war zone) it means a couple of things, First and foremost God was with you... "

One of my corporals was diagnosed with stage 4 cancer at 40 years old and died a year later. She would tell me that when she read something like that it was insulting to her as a Christian. She believed in God, but she didn't feel God had abandoned her. As a non believer I can easily see her point. Someone reading this meme who lost a loved one in the war could easily be offended by the implications God wasn't with their loved ones. What's the compelling reason people do this and why can't they see it implies those who died were somehow less than those who survived?   
Yeah, I hate people saying God healed them from a disease because they had faith.  This implies if you aren't healed you have no faith.  Of course when the sick person dies relatives say it was God's will and they are in a better place.  Why pray to be healed in the first place if you are better off in heaven?  Why do religious people fear death so much if they believe they are going to heaven?

Agnostic007

• Getbig V
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2019, 01:13:09 PM »
Yeah, I hate people saying God healed them from a disease because they had faith.  This implies if you aren't healed you have no faith.  Of course when the sick person dies relatives say it was God's will and they are in a better place.  Why pray to be healed in the first place if you are better off in heaven?  Why do religious people fear death so much if they believe they are going to heaven?

All good questions and makes you wonder.

Tornado rips through town, kills dozens, half the town gone. You know you're gonna see that one interviewee excitedly saying how it was a miracle from God he and his family survived such a horrendous thing.... not realizing he is at the same time saying God didn't give a crap about those other people, their family, homes and lives.

illuminati

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • The Strongest Shall Survive.- - Lest we Forget.
« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2019, 01:39:52 PM »

Why do they do it -
Probably because they ain’t to Bright
And can’t think of the implication to those who didn’t survive

IroNat

• Getbig V
  • Time you enjoy wasting, was not wasted.
« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2019, 02:16:23 PM »
Surviving combat is just luck.

Humble Narcissist

• Getbig V
« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2019, 03:17:31 AM »
Surviving combat is just luck.
Yes.