Author Topic: Heat converts Bush ally Robertson on global warming  (Read 2956 times)

24KT

• Getbig V
  • Gold Savings Account Rep +1 (310) 409-2244
Heat converts Bush ally Robertson on global warming
« on: August 03, 2006, 11:58:11 PM »
Heat converts Bush ally Robertson on global warming
 By Timothy Gardner
, Thu Aug 3, 6:58 PM ET

NEW YORK (Reuters) - Conservative Christian broadcaster Pat Robertson said on Thursday the wave of scorching temperatures across the United States had converted him into a believer in global warming.

The view put him at odds with fellow Republican President George W. Bush, who has benefited politically from Robertson's backing and who has refused to embrace the concept of human-caused global warming.

"We really need to address the burning of fossil fuels," Robertson said on his "700 Club" broadcast. "It is getting hotter, and the icecaps are melting and there is a buildup of carbon dioxide in the air."

It was an abrupt about-face for Robertson who reaches about one million U.S. viewers daily and is credited for helping shape political views of evangelical Christians, a vibrant force behind the Republican Party.

Last October, Robertson said the National Association of Evangelicals was teaming up with "far left environmentalists" for saying global warming was caused by humans and needed to be mitigated.

Also last year, Robertson, 76, said natural disasters affecting the globe, including hurricanes Katrina and Rita that wrecked the U.S. Gulf Coast, might be signs that the biblical apocalypse was nearing.

Temperatures have soared to near record levels in some eastern regions and Robertson said that was "the most convincing evidence I've seen on global warming in a long time."

Most scientists link greenhouse gases, such as carbon dioxide emitted from the burning of fossil fuels to global warming that could lead to heat waves, stronger storms and flooding from rising sea levels.

Bush, himself an evangelical Christian, pulled out of the international Kyoto Protocol setting limits on emissions causing global warming soon after taking office in 2001 saying it would hurt the economy and unfairly favored developing countries.
w

Hedgehog

• Getbig V
  • It Rubs The Lotion On Its Skin.
Re: Heat converts Bush ally Robertson on global warming
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2006, 05:04:51 AM »
I'd be damned.

This could mean that the conservative christians may become extreme envrionmentalists.

Interesting.

YIP
Zack
As empty as paradise

24KT

• Getbig V
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2006, 05:03:34 PM »
I'd be damned.

This could mean that the conservative christians may become extreme envrionmentalists.

Interesting.

YIP
Zack

Can't let Al Gore get all the credit for being right about the environment.
Besides, ...it's not like it would be the first flip/flop by right wing Republican leaders.  :P
w

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
  • I am. The most interesting man in the world. (Not)
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2006, 07:31:32 PM »
And we all know Republicans are the only ones who flip flop on issues . . . .

24KT

• Getbig V
« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2006, 12:42:55 AM »

Your words, ...not mine!  :P   ;)

What a difference 6 months can make huh?
w

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
  • I am. The most interesting man in the world. (Not)
« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2006, 01:41:28 AM »
[Finger pointing] "I did not have sexual relations with that woman . . . ." 

bmacsys

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2006, 08:31:23 AM »

How about this- in Detroit at General Motors John Kerry saying he owned an SUV. Than speaking to environmentalist he said he didn't own an SUV. When pressed he said it was his wifes SUV.
The House that Ruth built