Author Topic: Huckabee: Abortion not states' call  (Read 10745 times)

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
  • I am. The most interesting man in the world. (Not)
Huckabee: Abortion not states' call
« on: November 18, 2007, 04:52:46 PM »
He's intellectually honest. 

Nov 18, 5:47 PM EST
Huckabee: Abortion not states' call
By WILL LESTER
Associated Press Writer

WASHINGTON (AP) -- Republican presidential candidate Mike Huckabee rejects letting states decide whether to allow abortions, claiming the right to life is a moral issue not subject to multiple interpretations.

"It's the logic of the Civil War," Huckabee said Sunday, comparing abortion rights to slavery. "If morality is the point here, and if it's right or wrong, not just a political question, then you can't have 50 different versions of what's right and what's wrong."

"For those of us for whom this is a moral question, you can't simply have 50 different versions of what's right," he said in an interview on "Fox News Sunday."

The former Arkansas governor, who has drawn within striking distance of Mitt Romney in Iowa's leadoff presidential caucuses, said he was taken aback by the National Right to Life Committee's recent endorsement of Fred Thompson, the ex-Tennessee senator.

"But my surprise was nothing compared to the surprise of people across America who had been faithful supporters of right to life," said Huckabee, who is challenging Thompson's claim that he is the most reliable conservative in the GOP field.

"Fred's never had a 100 percent record on right to life in his Senate career. The records reflect that. And he doesn't support the human life amendment which is most amazing because that's been a part of the Republican platform since 1980," Huckabee said.

In a separate interview aired Sunday, Thompson said Roe v. Wade, the landmark Supreme Court decision allowing legal abortion, should be overturned, with states allowed to decide whether to permit abortions. "We need to remember what the status was before Roe v. Wade," he said.

Thompson spokeswomen Karen Hanretty said Thompson has a very strong record on abortion. The National Right to Life Committee said when it endorsed him that Thompson "has had a strong, consistent pro-life voting record throughout his political career."

Huckabee also previewed his first television ad of the campaign on the program. The 60-second spot, which features actor Chuck Norris, was to begin running in Iowa on Monday.

"My plan to secure the border. Two words: Chuck. Norris," says Huckabee, who stares into the camera before it cuts away to show Norris standing beside him.

"Mike Huckabee is a lifelong hunter who'll protect our Second Amendment rights" on gun ownership, says the tough-guy actor, who takes turns addressing viewers.

"There's no chin behind Chuck Norris' beard, only another fist," Huckabee says.

"Mike Huckabee wants to put the IRS out of business," Norris adds.

"When Chuck Norris does a push-up, he isn't lifting himself up, he's pushing the earth down," Huckabee says.

"Mike's a principled, authentic conservative," says Norris.

In closing, Huckabee says: "Chuck Norris doesn't endorse. He tells America how it's going to be. I'm Mike Huckabee and I approved this message. So did Chuck."

Huckabee acknowledged that the ad probably will not change many minds.

"But what it does do is exactly what it's doing this morning," he said. "Getting a lot of attention, driving people to our Web site, giving them an opportunity to find out who is this guy that would come out with Chuck Norris in a commercial."

Thompson's campaign said the ad shows Huckabee is not serious about immigration, an issue in Iowa.

"With his new campaign ad featuring Chuck Norris, Mike Huckabee has confused celebrity endorsement with serious policy. What would Huckabee do to secure America's border against millions of illegal immigrants pouring into our country? According to his ad, 'Two words: Chuck Norris,'" said Thompson campaign spokesman Todd Harris.

Thompson was interviewed by ABC's "This Week."

http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories/H/HUCKABEE?SITE=HIHAD&SECTION=HOME&TEMPLATE=DEFAULT

Decker

• Getbig V
Re: Huckabee: Abortion not states' call
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2007, 06:32:01 AM »
Wow is Huckabee wrong.  If Roe v. Wade is over-turned, the right to an abortion devolves to a state matter.

Deicide

• Getbig V
  • Reapers...
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2007, 06:38:15 AM »
So called pro-lifers are idiots. Abortion is an ugly reality in this world and we need to accept that. Just tell a 16 year old girl who has been raped and beaten that she will be forced to bear the baby of her rapist...doesn't work too well then does it...
I hate the State.

24KT

• Getbig V
  • Gold Savings Account Rep +1 (310) 409-2244
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2007, 07:36:19 AM »
I always thought abortion was a procedure, ...and 'right to life' was a political organization.  :-\
w

Cap

• Getbig V
  • Trueprotein.com 5% discount code= CSP111
« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2007, 07:45:30 AM »
So called pro-lifers are idiots. Abortion is an ugly reality in this world and we need to accept that. Just tell a 16 year old girl who has been raped and beaten that she will be forced to bear the baby of her rapist...doesn't work too well then does it...
Wow.  I wasn't aware that a majority of abortions were due to rape.  Would you care to back that inference with facts?
http://www.johnstonsarchive.net/policy/abortion/abreasons.html
Squishy face retard

Decker

• Getbig V
« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2007, 09:37:05 AM »
Wow.  I wasn't aware that a majority of abortions were due to rape.  Would you care to back that inference with facts?
I didn't see any inference claiming the majority of abortions carried any relevance.

Colossus_500

• Getbig IV
  • Psalm 139
« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2007, 10:15:35 AM »
I always thought abortion was a procedure, ...and 'right to life' was a political organization.  :-\
::)

OzmO

• Getbig V
  • Drink enough Kool-aid and you'll think its healthy
« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2007, 01:00:49 PM »
Doesn't matter if the law changes.

Abortion will still happen.

but what will change is the fall out from abortion being illegal.

-  Health issues from Illegal abortions
-  Criminal and Court cost from illegal abortions will cost tax payers more
-  Foster care and welfare costs will rise

loco

• Getbig V
  • loco like a fox
« Reply #8 on: November 19, 2007, 01:43:34 PM »
Doesn't matter if the law changes.

Abortion will still happen.

but what will change is the fall out from abortion being illegal.

-  Health issues from Illegal abortions
-  Criminal and Court cost from illegal abortions will cost tax payers more
-  Foster care and welfare costs will rise

We already have mothers who get depressed and murder their born children.  The law already punishes those women, but that does not stop them.  Must we just make that legal too and let those women go unpunished only to prevent these?

-  Health issues from women not being able to handle the pressure of raising their born children
-  Criminal and Court cost from prosecuting those women will cost tax payers more
-  Foster care and welfare costs will rise for those children that we are able to save

Abortion is the murder of an unborn human life.  We can discuss in a different thread abortions in the case of rape or in the case where the mother may die if the baby is not aborted, but let's discuss the many cases in which abortion is nothing but another form of birth control.  Legal abortion is letting the murderer go unpunished.  We must defend those who cannot defend themselves and we must speak for those who can't speak for themselves.

Deicide

• Getbig V
  • Reapers...
« Reply #9 on: November 19, 2007, 01:48:26 PM »

Buttnut, I never said that or implied that, I was merely showing something that does happen and would be a consequence of religious nutcases' policy...
I hate the State.

Deicide

• Getbig V
  • Reapers...
« Reply #10 on: November 19, 2007, 01:58:06 PM »
Wow is Huckabee wrong.  If Roe v. Wade is over-turned, the right to an abortion devolves to a state matter.

What that creationist nutcase wants to do though is universally put a constitutional ban on all abortion...
I hate the State.

Cap

• Getbig V
« Reply #11 on: November 19, 2007, 02:45:34 PM »
Buttnut, I never said that or implied that, I was merely showing something that does happen and would be a consequence of religious nutcases' policy...
Why should a procedure/law be put in place for 1% of the abortion cases? 
Squishy face retard

240 is Back

• Getbig V
  • Complete website for only $300- www.300website.com
« Reply #12 on: November 19, 2007, 02:49:55 PM »
Huck is the most honest Repub running who is not named Ron Paul.

I might vote for him if he gets the nod.   Rudy and McCain and Mitt have all flipflopped repeatedly - these men have no integrity and will flip once they're in office, just as Bush did ("We are not in the business of nationbuilding!", then declining UN's offer to nationbuild Iraq for us).

Huckabee is pro-gun and I love my damn guns.  Every candidate (except Kucinish and Paul) is essentially pro war (Iran now) so that's a small issue.

Deicide

• Getbig V
  • Reapers...
« Reply #13 on: November 19, 2007, 03:05:56 PM »
Why should a procedure/law be put in place for 1% of the abortion cases? 

It's a woman's body. You can't force a woman to do something with her own body.
I hate the State.

Straw Man

• Getbig V
  • one dwells in nirvana
« Reply #14 on: November 19, 2007, 03:16:14 PM »
::)

I'd wager a dollar the Colossus_500 and Beach Bum are the same person

Cap

• Getbig V
« Reply #15 on: November 19, 2007, 03:41:59 PM »
We force men to pay alimony.  We force men to deal with pregnancies they want no part of.  We force (via laws) men and women not to murder one another but that rule doesn't apply to women, doctors and a fetus?  Almost half of abortions are done so out of convenience so please don't bring up rape and try to sway people to believe your argument.  You'd have better luck with economics and even then you'd fail with many.

Like I've said before, why do we charge killers with double homicide if a child is not a life until born?
Squishy face retard

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #16 on: November 19, 2007, 03:58:55 PM »

He's actually right.  If you believe abortion is immoral and murder then you prohibit the practice.  You don't let the states decide to permit murder (if that's your belief).  It's a very honest assessment. 

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #17 on: November 19, 2007, 04:01:07 PM »
I'd wager a dollar the Colossus_500 and Beach Bum are the same person

::)  Leave it to Cuzin Earl to dumb down yet another thread. 

Colossus outweighs me by a good 50 pounds (depending on what I have for lunch and dinner) and his neck dwarfs mine.  He's smarter than me too.  Other than that, we might indeed be the same person.   :)

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #18 on: November 19, 2007, 04:02:20 PM »

It's two bodies. 

Straw Man

• Getbig V
  • one dwells in nirvana
« Reply #19 on: November 19, 2007, 04:19:19 PM »
::)  Leave it to Cuzin Earl to dumb down yet another thread. 

Colossus outweighs me by a good 50 pounds (depending on what I have for lunch and dinner) and his neck dwarfs mine.  He's smarter than me too.  Other than that, we might indeed be the same person.   :)

Hey Bum,

There was nothing defamatory in my post so why do you immediately respond with a personal attack?  

I've noticed that CL500 uses the same pathetic eyeroll in the same manner as you (i.e no comment - just the eye roll like we're all supposed to know what's going on inside that addled brain of yours).   I've also noticed he practically pisses his pants "laughing" at your weak jokes and he often is the only person who jumps in when you're getting your ass kicked - just all observations that make me think that you and CL500 are the same person.

Proceed with your lame Cuz'n Earl "jokes" - you and I both know you only do that as a defense mechanism against your own self-admitted deficiencies.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #20 on: November 19, 2007, 04:21:55 PM »
Hey Bum,

There was nothing defamatory in my post so why do you immediately respond with a personal attack?  

I've noticed that CL500 uses the same pathetic eyeroll in the same manner as you (i.e no comment - just the eye roll like we're all supposed to know what's going on inside that addled brain of yours).   I've also noticed he practically pisses his pants "laughing" at your weak jokes and he often is the only person who jumps in when you're getting your ass kicked - just all observations that make me think that you and CL500 are the same person.

Proceed with your lame Cuz'n Earl "jokes" - you and I both know you only do that as a defense mechanism againt your own self-admitted deficiencies.

::)   ::) 

Straw Man

• Getbig V
  • one dwells in nirvana
« Reply #21 on: November 19, 2007, 04:23:45 PM »
::)   ::) 

but you do "know" each other right?

OzmO

• Getbig V
  • Drink enough Kool-aid and you'll think its healthy
« Reply #22 on: November 19, 2007, 06:39:30 PM »
We already have mothers who get depressed and murder their born children.  The law already punishes those women, but that does not stop them.  Must we just make that legal too and let those women go unpunished only to prevent these?

-  Health issues from women not being able to handle the pressure of raising their born children
-  Criminal and Court cost from prosecuting those women will cost tax payers more
-  Foster care and welfare costs will rise for those children that we are able to save

Abortion is the murder of an unborn human life.  We can discuss in a different thread abortions in the case of rape or in the case where the mother may die if the baby is not aborted, but let's discuss the many cases in which abortion is nothing but another form of birth control.  Legal abortion is letting the murderer go unpunished.  We must defend those who cannot defend themselves and we must speak for those who can't speak for themselves.

I agree.  But as i said it will not stop abortion.  Abortions will continue no matter what the law. Making it a law only causes more problem then there already are.

Cap

• Getbig V
« Reply #23 on: November 19, 2007, 06:50:36 PM »

Well said sir.  The "health" issues involving pressure are just part of being an adult.  If you cannot handle this then you have bigger issues as a person and adult.  Could it be that we have no contingency plan for the cessation of abortion because women have become more reliant on it than other contraceptive methods?  I believe so.  Women complaining about pregnancy are pathetic.  If they are not ready at any point to be a mother physically, financially or emotionally then they should not have sex.

The prevalence of abortion has risen over the years but where were all those needy orphans that went unfed and unclothed, eventually starving naked in the street?  Our problem is 1.) a reliance on birth control rather than educating women and girls about safe sex (a problem with many presidents and a sign of more liberal attitudes toward sex seen since the 60's), 2.) the overabundance of illegals in this country that divert funds from any needy US children, 3.) the idiocy of teens and adults in regards to the lack of using normal birth control.
Squishy face retard

Deicide

• Getbig V
  • Reapers...
« Reply #24 on: November 19, 2007, 07:01:35 PM »
We force men to pay alimony.  We force men to deal with pregnancies they want no part of.  We force (via laws) men and women not to murder one another but that rule doesn't apply to women, doctors and a fetus?  Almost half of abortions are done so out of convenience so please don't bring up rape and try to sway people to believe your argument.  You'd have better luck with economics and even then you'd fail with many.

Like I've said before, why do we charge killers with double homicide if a child is not a life until born?

So in the few cases of rape and incest a woman must be forced to carry to term?
I hate the State.