Author Topic: Reg Park - Metastatic Melanoma & Updates  (Read 15043 times)

HowieW

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
Re: Reg Park update: metastatic melanoma
« Reply #125 on: May 17, 2007, 07:17:12 PM »
I respect Reg and I always do.

I meant no harm or any intention to hurt anyone.

I apologise if it did crossed someone.

Thanks for having the integrity to reply in this manner. Lots of others here have shown a level of crude and rude/irrelevent posting that are as insensitive as they come. Look, get big has plenty of time and space for various threads and azz clownery, but c'mon, how about just once some of you show some compassion and treat a legend of this game with some dignity. Quite frankly, I was disgusted by the way some here posted in this thread that was  started by a moving , sincere letter from the Park family.
Some of you have reached a new low and are in my book, quite ignorant.
This one one time when the ONLY reply should be one of support for the Reg and his family in their time of need.
Sincerely. Howard in Ga
Kelly Ryan married well!  Free Titus!

phyxsius

• Getbig V
  • Mini Getbigger
« Reply #126 on: May 17, 2007, 07:24:15 PM »
Thanks for having the integrity to reply in this manner. Lots of others here have shown a level of crude and rude/irrelevent posting that are as insensitive as they come. Look, get big has plenty of time and space for various threads and azz clownery, but c'mon, how about just once some of you show some compassion and treat a legend of this game with some dignity. Quite frankly, I was disgusted by the way some here posted in this thread that was  started by a moving , sincere letter from the Park family.
Some of you have reached a new low and are in my book, quite ignorant.
This one one time when the ONLY reply should be one of support for the Reg and his family in their time of need.
Sincerely. Howard in Ga

am I high in your book?  :)
I am a mini beast

HowieW

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #127 on: May 17, 2007, 07:30:13 PM »
am I high in your book?  :)

Thanks , but in this thread I am a NON issue, we need to focus on Reg and his family.
Howard
Kelly Ryan married well!  Free Titus!

CoolDuck

• Getbig II
  • Getbig!
Re: Reg Park is seriously ill.
« Reply #128 on: May 18, 2007, 12:29:19 AM »
This is the form of atheism that really annoys me (strong atheism).  You don't know there is no god any more than any religious person (regardless of religion) knows that there is a god.  The mere question is simply beyond our ontology and it is impossible to answer.

I have to disagee. Many people are very unforgiving towards atheists. Richard Dawkins writes a bit about this in his controversial book "The God Delusion". In USA, a majority of voters would not even vote for an atheist president candidate. Why is this so? In USA, one explanation may be the perceived association with communism. But I believe there may be more to it than that.

One clue is found if one ponders how many people like to call themselves agnostic rather than atheists. This is supposedly less controversial than atheism, as the atheistic world-view is seen as confronting religion head-on, saying "there is no god", while the agnostics supposedly say "i'm not sure what I think about this god-business". Thus, the explicit denial of a "god" may be what is so provocative about atheism to the general public. Maybe it's perceived as negativistic and arrogant?

To me, this is rather strange, as the distinction between atheism and agnostisism is essentially meaningless and may indicate unclear thinking about epistemology and ontology. Epistemology based on empirism should imply what coudl be called "possibilism". Inductive reasoning based on empirical observations can never rule out possible future observations. Thus, lack of positive evidence for a "god" can never disprove the possibility of future observations supporting the existance of a "god". Hence, for an empirist, there is no difference between atheism and agnostisism. No sane atheist would deny a "god" if a "god" somehow clearly manifested itself in an intersubjectively unambigous way. However, lacking such positive evidence, the question becomes why one should even discuss the existance of a "god"?

There may be one type of agnosticism that is exempt from this type of critisism. One way of interpreting Huxley's concept of agnostism that I am very fond of myself, is that theism is unintelligible and thus beyond "gnosis"*. When a theist speaks of "god", the concept is thus impossible to judge due to a lack of understanding of the concept. To me, this is an even stronger critisism of religious theism than atheism.

Anyway, to me, atheism need not be very confrontative. It is simply a statement concerning a perceived lack of positive evidence in support of theism.

Kolbjørn

* http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gnosis : "The term is used throughout Greek philosophy as a technical term of experience knowledge (see gnosiology) in contrast to theoretical knowledge which is akin to epistemology"

spotter

• Getbig III
  • Off the Hook
Re: Reg Park - Metastatic Melanoma & Updates
« Reply #129 on: June 06, 2007, 06:48:58 PM »
KO at Draper's board:

http://www.davedraper.com/fusionbb/showtopic.php?tid/12308/

I am sorry to hear that about Reg Park.   I true Icon. Prayers to him & his family

dorkeroo

• Getbig IV
  • I need steroids for the brain.
« Reply #130 on: June 07, 2007, 06:48:36 AM »
Best of luck to Reg and his family.

Considering the influence Reg had on Arnold, well it is probably safe to say that anyone that has followed/been influenced by Arnold in this sport, or even gotten a laugh from one of his cheesy one-liners owes Reg a debt of gratitude as well as we may not have seen the Oak if not for his influence.

Prayers for Reg and his family.

nycbull

• Getbig V
  • Team Jay Should Have Won
Re: Reg Park is seriously ill.
« Reply #131 on: June 22, 2007, 05:33:35 AM »

Anyway, to me, atheism need not be very confrontative. It is simply a statement concerning a perceived lack of positive evidence in support of theism.

I especially like when Atheist ridicule theists. It cracks me up. The theists usually walk out of the room, not because they are insulted but because they have no intelligent response.  Ridicule is one of their great weapons. I think Dawkins spoke on that too.

Rimbaud

• Getbig V
  • There can be only one.
« Reply #132 on: June 22, 2007, 05:49:49 AM »
I love how you guys turned a thread about Reg Park's cancer into a religious debate.  ::)

Disgusted

• Expert
  • Getbig V
Re: Suspend Disbelief
« Reply #133 on: June 22, 2007, 11:33:40 AM »
Scientifically, it is proven when a man's body passes, it weighs 21 grams less. The spirit cannot be visibly seen or captured...yet it does indeed exist. Where it came from, where it goes and who created it...no one can be certain...until they take the entire journey...

Bro, I think that has been disproven.  :'(

dr.chimps

• Getbig V
  • Chimpus ergo sum
Re: Suspend Disbelief
« Reply #134 on: June 22, 2007, 12:19:04 PM »
Scientifically, it is proven when a man's body passes, it weighs 21 grams less. The spirit cannot be visibly seen or captured...yet it does indeed exist. Where it came from, where it goes and who created it...no one can be certain...until they take the entire journey...
Do you wear tin foil on your head as a habit?