Author Topic: Frank Mir: Roy Nelson Is a '205 Pound Guy With a Tire On'  (Read 2437 times)

MindSpin

• Getbig V
  • MMA > Boxing
Frank Mir: Roy Nelson Is a '205 Pound Guy With a Tire On'
« on: June 03, 2011, 11:39:51 AM »
I like Roy and I think that he's a very skilled fighter. He was able to land a couple punches in the fight but it really came down to the fact that his belly impedes his abilities. I think that he's a great fighter in spite of his belly and his weight, not because of it. His strength, his physical strength when we locked up, most of my training partners are light heavyweights felt stronger than him. That's why when we were against the cage, that's what really drew me in. I had my underhook. I'm like, "ok, this guy could pull my legs out underneath him and he still couldn't change levels on me." I could feel the strength that he had. He does need to go 205 and I've spoken to him and Jess, his wife, about that at one of the Expos. I know it's not easy to want to cut all that weight but I know he had talked about just changing his body composition, adding weight, getting bigger.

Well Roy, you're already 260 pounds. We weighed in the same. That means you've got to drop about 40 pounds of fat and add 40 pounds of muscle. That, to me, is a much harder task than just dropping 40 pounds of fat. Building muscle takes years to do. Even me, my muscle first that think I developed right after the Brock fight,was more water. I was more bloated, stuffing myself with protein. I didn't really feel as strong even though I was the same, even bigger than I am now. I feel stronger now just because of the consistency of the heavy lifting and now it's been two years and it's just now starting to neurologically fit in. So for Roy to want to, at 34, he's gonna be 35 this month, try to redo his whole body, I think it would be easier to go to 205. I think his half guard would come back, his takedown defense, his mobility, his footwork. I think he's quick and the power he does have I think he would retain because physically he wouldn't lose any muscle. He's a 205 pound guy with a tire on.
w

flexingtonsteele

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • The new age pussy Punisher!
Re: Frank Mir: Roy Nelson Is a '205 Pound Guy With a Tire On'
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2011, 12:23:50 PM »
Thats pretty accurate.

IMO if Nelson doesnt drop down to LHW he's gonna lose his job. Because his conditioning and weight is really holding back a lot of talent.

titusisback

• Getbig V
  • Team Ban Mom Lostabet
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2011, 03:17:46 PM »
Is Frank trying to tell us he's unable to finish a guy that's 40 lbs fatter with 40 lbs less muscle than him? How flattering.  ::)

Geo

• Getbig IV
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2011, 03:46:02 PM »
I was waiting for him to puke before the start of the 3rd round......

George Whorewell

• Getbig V
  • TND
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2011, 03:11:50 PM »
Frank should shut the fuck up and be happy he won the fight. After the beatings he took from Carwin and Brock the last thing he should be doing is giving other guys advice about what weight class they should fight in.

coltrane

• Getbig IV
« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2011, 05:45:48 AM »
Frank should shut the fuck up and be happy he won the fight. After the beatings he took from Carwin and Brock the last thing he should be doing is giving other guys advice about what weight class they should fight in.

Mir >  Fedor

George Whorewell

• Getbig V
  • TND
« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2011, 06:02:22 AM »

coltrane

• Getbig IV
« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2011, 07:39:06 AM »
Mindspin >  George Whorewell

MindSpin