Author Topic: Tribute to the Greatest American Generation....  (Read 1289 times)

Alex23

Tribute to the Greatest American Generation....
« on: November 09, 2007, 08:42:59 PM »
My dad accidently passed away last summer and consequently I spent more time with my maternal grand father who fought 2 wars...

They had vanilla, chocolate and strawberry..... but never complained.
They fought overseas because "it was the right thing to do".
They didn't know much about Europe but "ain't right to gas and burn people". They ought to do something about it.
They made the best out of it and came back as heros.
They sacrificed more in one generation than the 3 that suceeeded.

They laid the foundation.

You mention it and they simply shrug... "hey, It was the right thing to do."

PANDAEMONIUM

• Getbig V
  • Scourge of the Northern Gods
Re: Tribute to the Greatest American Generation....
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2007, 08:44:04 PM »

That's awesome stuff.  Sorry to hear about your dad's passing.

mass 04

• Getbig V
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2007, 08:45:37 PM »
Damn right, I volunteer at a nursing home and love to listen to the WWII stories, sadly the population is slowly fading. Sorry about your dad also.

PANDAEMONIUM

• Getbig V
  • Scourge of the Northern Gods
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2007, 08:48:09 PM »
Damn right, I volunteer at a nursing home and love to listen to the WWII stories, sadly the population is slowly fading. Sorry about your dad also.

Yeah, it's great talking to older people, especially WWII vets, and getting their take on how things were back then.  Kind of puts into perspective the "instant gratification" mentality that almost all of us especially in America have in one form or another.

mass 04

• Getbig V
« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2007, 08:50:54 PM »
Yeah, it's great talking to older people, especially WWII vets, and getting their take on how things were back then.  Kind of puts into perspective the "instant gratification" mentality that almost all of us especially in America have in one form or another.

I know a lot of people have negative stereotypes of older people, but seriosly I could listen to them talk all day. It is like  a live history lesson.

Alex23

« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2007, 09:10:04 PM »
Imagine them young again when they tell their stories and it all make sense.

BroadStreetBruiser

• Getbig V
  • "In Falcon We Trust"
« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2007, 09:14:25 PM »
i am dsrounk an di love blacks
$

chaos

• Getbig V
  • Ron "There is no freedom of speech here" Avidan
« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2007, 09:38:03 PM »
Old people rule.
Liar!!!!Filt!!!!

Swedish Viking

• Getbig IV
  • http://plunkan.blogspot.com/
« Reply #8 on: November 09, 2007, 09:57:52 PM »
I know a lot of people have negative stereotypes of older people, but seriosly I could listen to them talk all day. It is like  a live history lesson.

No kidding, my grandfather was an Island hopper in the Pacific Islands in the First Marine Division.  Crazy stories, made him break down pretty much every time he talked about them.  When I listened to them, though, it was like listening to a super hero talk and tell me about all the super hero things he did.

arce377

• Getbig IV
  • ARCE DO SAN MARTIALARTS SCHOOL
« Reply #9 on: November 09, 2007, 10:02:10 PM »
SEMPER FI!
USMC
ARCE
DOSAN DOJO

sync pulse

• Getbig V
  • Only be sure always to call it please, 'research'
« Reply #10 on: November 09, 2007, 11:30:45 PM »
My dad accidentally passed away last summer and consequently I spent more time with my maternal grand father who fought 2 wars
My Dad died when I was 25.  He loved to talk about being in the United Kingdom when he was being "overpaid".  He got on better with the locals than he did with the other guys in his outfit.  We would watch old British comedy movies made during the 40's and 50's and he loved relating stories.  One time after watching an episode of "Dad'sArmy", one that concerned Britons ressorting to eating wild pigeons captured off of city streets, he wept and said he had seen people do this. It is hard to fathom now, but most people alive now do not understand how desperate the food situation in Britain was during the war.  Or for that matter in Europe in general then.

As an aside, amongst his personal effects we found just last year, was a letter of commendation signed by Curtis Lemay.  He was a weapons tech, and he fused and loaded bombs into bombers.  He loaded  incendiaries used on the firestorm campaigns.

sync pulse

• Getbig V
  • Only be sure always to call it please, 'research'
« Reply #11 on: November 10, 2007, 12:14:21 AM »
It should be mentioned that the reason why so many were behind the war effort in World War 2, was because of Franklin Delano Roosevelt.  It is incomprehensible to us today at how totally devoted the United States population was to Roosevelt.  Guys hit the beach because Franklin wanted them to.
Guys flew the planes because Franklin wanted them to.  The stateside civilian population put up with everything that World War 2 entailed because of Franklin.  If anyone else had been president, World War 2 would have been a cloisterfucik, just like Korea and Vietnam.

freespirit

• Getbig V
  • Revolt!
« Reply #12 on: November 10, 2007, 04:06:21 AM »
Recently have read the book The Victors - Eisenhower and His Boys: The Men of World War II, written by Stephen E. Ambrose. The Dutch translation. Great book!

D-Day, Omaha Beach, Ardennes, Hürtgenwald, it's a long list of places where the Allies have fought their battles against the Germans.

Indeed a great generation, children of democracy, liberators.

Heroes they where, and shall remain in our memories.

Like to read more about the subject...