Author Topic: Why are conservatives happier than liberals?  (Read 6984 times)

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
  • I am. The most interesting man in the world. (Not)
Why are conservatives happier than liberals?
« on: May 09, 2008, 01:34:42 PM »
May 9, 2008
Why are conservatives happier than liberals?
Posted: 02:04 PM ET

FROM CNN’s Jack Cafferty:

Conservatives are happier than liberals.

A study published in the journal “Psychological Science” says it’s because conservatives are better at rationalizing inequalities.

Regardless of someone’s income, marital status or church attendance, people with right-wing ideologies report greater satisfaction with their lives than those with left-wing beliefs. Researchers found that conservatives also score highest when it comes to the ability to justify inequalities.

For example, a conservative might support the idea of a meritocracy – that if you work hard and perform well, you’ll move up the economic ladder… and if you don’t, you probably won’t. But the study shows liberals tend to be troubled by this. Inequalities take a greater psychological toll on liberals, apparently because they can’t rationalize away the gaps in society and thus end up more frustrated by them.

The study goes on to say that this research can be applied to areas other than economic inequalities. One example is that feminists may not be as happy in their marriages as more traditional women because they’re frustrated with the division of domestic chores.

These latest results go along with a Pew poll from 2006. It found 47% of conservative Republicans described themselves as “very happy”, compared to only 28% of liberal Democrats who felt that way.

This, then, is our burnt offering for a rainy Friday.

Here’s my question to you: A new study says conservatives are happier than liberals. Why?

Tune in to the Situation Room at 6pm to see if Jack reads your answer on air.

http://caffertyfile.blogs.cnn.com/2008/05/09/why-are-conservatives-happier-than-liberals/

240 is Back

• Getbig V
  • Complete website for only $300- www.300website.com
Re: Why are conservatives happier than liberals?
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2008, 03:20:35 PM »
A study published in the journal “Psychological Science” says it’s because conservatives are better at rationalizing inequalities.

Picture the coach saying liberals don't go to heaven... while saying the war for oil was okay because "there were other reasons - it wasn't JUST about taking their oil".

When your religion is tied to your politics, you excuse things you shouldn't.

Camel Jockey

• Getbig V
  • Mel Gibson and Bob Sly World Domination
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2008, 04:11:32 PM »
Picture the coach saying liberals don't go to heaven... while saying the war for oil was okay because "there were other reasons - it wasn't JUST about taking their oil".

Do you think that midget is a real conservative?  ::)

24KT

• Getbig V
  • Gold Savings Account Rep +1 (310) 409-2244
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2008, 05:07:03 PM »
Because ignorance is bliss?  ;D
w

kh300

• Getbig V
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2008, 05:57:01 PM »

i dont think thats what rationalizing inequalities means. it means you are what your worth. 

it makes so much sense to me, and ive said this all along. i have a conservative friend who makes me look like a clinton. he has no money, but is the happiest guy alive. doesnt look at anyone with jealousy, and hes contempt with the choices he's made, like not going to college.

i have a liberal friend whos never happy with anything. pissed off at life. wants what everyone else has. went to a bar the other night and he pissed on the doorhandle of a bmw. because he calls them rich pricks. hes the same as my conservative friend money wise, but as i hang out with them i can see why they look at things so much different.

The Coach

« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2008, 06:06:21 PM »

Rob, as a Catholic, do you believe you are saved? And if so, why?

windsor88

• Getbig IV
  • Victim of the Drug War
« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2008, 06:07:22 PM »
Of course Liberals are pissed and Conservatives are happy.  Look who is running this country.  If Liberals were running things the conservatives would be all uptight clenching to their bible.

The Coach

« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2008, 06:11:49 PM »
Conservatives are happier because we use commonsense instead of emotion.

Eyeball Chambers

• Getbig V
  • Would you hold still? You're making me fuck up...
« Reply #8 on: May 09, 2008, 06:12:10 PM »

Not exactly sure what you are talking about...

But...

Probably hilarious!

HAHA
S

Eyeball Chambers

• Getbig V
« Reply #9 on: May 09, 2008, 06:13:01 PM »

Serious Question:

Were you a liberal when you voted for Clinton?
S

kh300

• Getbig V
« Reply #10 on: May 09, 2008, 06:15:01 PM »

we are also better looking. and that is a fact.

gymguy

• Getbig III
  • Getbig!
« Reply #11 on: May 09, 2008, 06:45:14 PM »
Because we make ourselves successful rather than waiting for the gov't to give us a free ride.

The Coach

« Reply #12 on: May 09, 2008, 07:16:24 PM »
Serious Question:

Were you a liberal when you voted for Clinton?

Truthfully when I voted for Clinton for his first term, I didn't follow politics. But I more or less started after I voted for him and within about 6 months I regreted it and I have voted repub ever since.

Eyeball Chambers

• Getbig V
« Reply #13 on: May 09, 2008, 07:20:48 PM »
Truthfully when I voted for Clinton for his first term, I didn't follow politics. But I more or less started after I voted for him and within about 6 months I regreted it and I have voted repub ever since.

Honestly I think you must be really fairly (lol) smart to have started such a profitable business.

I just don't understand some of your political opinions at all, and I picture myself as being conservative as all hell. lol
S

240 is Back

• Getbig V
« Reply #14 on: May 09, 2008, 11:27:05 PM »

I went to 8 years of catholic school and 2 years of catholic HS.  They don't have "saved".  I think that's baptists?  the only time I heard it in all those years was one summer when I went to a camp from the baptist preacher there.

The Coach

« Reply #15 on: May 10, 2008, 08:23:31 AM »
I went to 8 years of catholic school and 2 years of catholic HS.  They don't have "saved".  I think that's baptists?  the only time I heard it in all those years was one summer when I went to a camp from the baptist preacher there.

Thats sad. Thats one of the reasons why I left the Catholic church, they put church doctrine over scripture and scripture is very clear on salvation. What was the churchs doctrine on entering heaven? From what I have learned, it was baptism + works + grace.

The Coach

« Reply #16 on: May 10, 2008, 08:33:34 AM »

George W Bush and common sense ?

Hahaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa aaaaaaaaaaaaa !

NT

::)

The Coach

« Reply #17 on: May 10, 2008, 08:38:34 AM »
Conservative Lawmaker Admits Child From Affair

05/09/08
Republican Rep. Vito Fossella of New York acknowledged on Thursday that he fathered a child from an extramarital affair, answering questions that arose from his arrest on drunken driving charges last week. The congressman has three children with his wife, and a 3-year-old daughter from this affair. Fossella is the only Republican member of Congress from New York City, and he is up for reelection this year.

of course joeloco, all commonsense.....no emotion.  ::)

you're a tool !

NT

I don't even know who this guy is. But at least he the child and didn't abort it (something liberals are in favor of). He made a dumb mistake and should pay for it.

War-Horse

• Getbig V
« Reply #18 on: May 10, 2008, 08:40:44 AM »

George W Bush and common sense ?

Hahaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa aaaaaaaaaaaaa !

NT

Hahahha.   this country has yet to see any sense at all from that dumbass.   He gives us new material every 15 minutes.

Straw Man

• Getbig V
  • one dwells in nirvana
« Reply #19 on: May 10, 2008, 08:54:32 AM »
i dont think thats what rationalizing inequalities means. it means you are what your worth. 

it makes so much sense to me, and ive said this all along. i have a conservative friend who makes me look like a clinton. he has no money, but is the happiest guy alive. doesnt look at anyone with jealousy, and hes contempt with the choices he's made, like not going to college.
i have a liberal friend whos never happy with anything. pissed off at life. wants what everyone else has. went to a bar the other night and he pissed on the doorhandle of a bmw. because he calls them rich pricks. hes the same as my conservative friend money wise, but as i hang out with them i can see why they look at things so much different.

As a group, self-described conservatives are probably less educated and therefore less capable of critical evaluation of the world in which they live.

Being "contempt" with the choices  one has made (like not going to college or even learning how to spell or construct a sentence) seems to be another hallmark of the happy conservative.   The ability to rationalize inequalities and just go about ones life is a blissful stupor is not exactly something to be proud about.

kh300

• Getbig V
« Reply #20 on: May 10, 2008, 10:28:09 AM »
As a group, self-described conservatives are probably less educated and therefore less capable of critical evaluation of the world in which they live.

Being "contempt" with the choices  one has made (like not going to college or even learning how to spell or construct a sentence) seems to be another hallmark of the happy conservative.   The ability to rationalize inequalities and just go about ones life is a blissful stupor is not exactly something to be proud about.

sorry pal, but conservatives are usually more wealthy then liberals like yourself. 95% of the wealthy people i know are conservative. they want to keep their money, not like liberals who demand want isnt theirs.

you have this concept wrong. conservative are contempt with what other choose. they do not believe life is unfair, like a liberal.

Straw Man

• Getbig V
  • one dwells in nirvana
« Reply #21 on: May 10, 2008, 10:39:03 AM »
sorry pal, but conservatives are usually more wealthy then liberals like yourself. 95% of the wealthy people i know are conservative. they want to keep their money, not like liberals who demand want isnt theirs.

you have this concept wrong. conservative are contempt with what other choose. they do not believe life is unfair, like a liberal.

KH,

No doubt there is small subset of the group we call conservative (or who self identify as such) who are wealthy but the vast majority are not.   I thought the study was about happiness and not wealth.   The study suggest that conservatives are happy in large part due to their ability to rationalize the inequities they see in the world.   I'd also bet that most to are simply unaware of these problems and thus don't even have the need to rationalize them away.

Do you know what the term contempt means??

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/contempt

240 is Back

• Getbig V
« Reply #22 on: May 10, 2008, 10:45:13 AM »
Thats sad. Thats one of the reasons why I left the Catholic church, they put church doctrine over scripture and scripture is very clear on salvation. What was the churchs doctrine on entering heaven? From what I have learned, it was baptism + works + grace.

I was saved at the camp.

I live a life that I believe God would approve of.  I work, I take care of the family, and I watch the news.  I find it hard to believe that a person who lives their whole life doing the right thing wouldn't get into heaven because they didn't participate in the right man-defined flavor of religion.  I mean, a Muslim who spends his whole live in peace, praying every day and doing the right thing... same as a Buddhist who spends his whole life doing the right thing... should all be getting into heaven with the Creator when all is said and done.

The papers were written by man, interpreted by man, and used for centuries for their own uses as well as for noble ones.  A man only knows for certain, what comes from within.  We're all embopdiments of Christ - little pieces of God with amnesia just down here for experiences before we return to the maker.

Straw Man

• Getbig V
  • one dwells in nirvana
« Reply #23 on: May 10, 2008, 10:48:25 AM »

tell that to hollywood and wall street.  ???

NT

and Silicon Valley

The Coach

« Reply #24 on: May 10, 2008, 10:53:50 AM »
I was saved at the camp.

I live a life that I believe God would approve of.  I work, I take care of the family, and I watch the news.  I find it hard to believe that a person who lives their whole life doing the right thing wouldn't get into heaven because they didn't participate in the right man-defined flavor of religion.  I mean, a Muslim who spends his whole live in peace, praying every day and doing the right thing... same as a Buddhist who spends his whole life doing the right thing... should all be getting into heaven with the Creator when all is said and done.

The papers were written by man, interpreted by man, and used for centuries for their own uses as well as for noble ones.  A man only knows for certain, what comes from within.  We're all embopdiments of Christ - little pieces of God with amnesia just down here for experiences before we return to the maker.

What you just wrote is precisly the reason I left Catholisism. All that time going to Catholic schools and that's what they taught you?

Many people are positive that they are saved.  They base this on emotions.  They may make certain comments, such as, "I am a good person.  I do what is right.  I’m not as bad as that other person.  I had an experience with God.  I feel that I am saved.  I can feel God is with me.  I know the Holy Spirit is inside of me.  I am a preacher, or an elder, or a prophet.  I am a preacher’s wife.  I have prayed, and God answered my prayer.  I believe in God.  God did this or that for me.  I sing to God.  I sing in the choir.  I go to church.  I praise and worship God.  I give my money to the church.  I was baptized."   While all of this sounds very nice, it is not based upon biblical knowledge.   Many people, who are now in hell, have said such things.  The Pharisees in the New Testament also could have said many of these things, but Jesus showed them clearly they were not saved.

FOR BY GRACE ARE YE SAVED THROUGH FAITH; AND THAT NOT OF YOURSELVES: IT IS THE GIFT OF GOD: NOT OF WORKS, LEST ANY MAN SHOULD BOAST.  FOR WE ARE HIS WORKMANSHIP, CREATED IN CHRIST JESUS UNTO GOOD WORKS, WHICH GOD HATH BEFORE ORDAINED THAT WE SHOULD WALK IN THEM-Eph 2:8-10.