Author Topic: Strikeforce- Diaz vs. Daley this Saturday on Showtime  (Read 2766 times)

*ChuteBoxe*

• Getbig IV
Strikeforce- Diaz vs. Daley this Saturday on Showtime
« on: April 05, 2011, 12:32:22 PM »
Main Bouts (On Showtime):
-Nick Diaz (24-7; #6 Welterweight)* vs. Paul Daley (27-9-2; #7 Welterweight)*†
-Gilbert Melendez (18-2; #2 Lightweight)* vs. Tatsuya Kawajiri (27-6-2; #6 Lightweight)*††
-Gegard Mousasi (30-3-1) vs. Keith Jardine (17-9-1)
-Shinya Aoki (26-5; #4 Lightweight)* vs. Lyle Beerbohm (15-1)

Preliminary Bouts (Non-Televised):
-Hiroyuki Takaya (15-8-1) vs. Robert Peralta (13-3)
-Brett Albee (3-0) vs. Virgil Zwicker (9-2)
-Saad Awad (8-3) vs. Joe Duarte (5-2)
-Herman Terrado (5-2) vs. A.J. Matthews (4-0)
-Edgar Cardenas (3-0) vs. Rolando Perez (5-4-1)
-Casey Ryan (1-0) vs. Paul Song (2-0)

Melendez vs. Kawajiri is a legit 155lb championship fight, both guys are easily top 10 and if the fight is anything like the first it should be a good one.
Daley vs. Diaz- I think Diaz would be a fool to keep the fight standing any longer than it should, he's probably gonna do the old "im gonna stand and bang with him" routine.  Which means he's really gonna take the fight to the ground pretty quick.

Predictions
 40/61

WeightPSHR

• Getbig IV
  • _____________
Re: Strikeforce- Diaz vs. Daley this Saturday on Showtime
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2011, 01:55:46 PM »
What a joke of a card....hopefully now that the UFC owns them this will be the last of the shitty cards!!

J/K...Thought I'd get a rise out of you Chumpboxe.  ;D
This is actually a great card! Every one of the fights on the main card is great.  I disagree with you on Diaz.  I think he will keep it standing for a while. He knows he can always take it to the ground if he gets in trouble. He stood with KJ Noons when he could have easily taken it to the ground.  I think Diaz really believes in his boxing.

*ChuteBoxe*

• Getbig IV
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2011, 05:39:55 PM »
What a joke of a card....hopefully now that the UFC owns them this will be the last of the shitty cards!!

J/K...Thought I'd get a rise out of you Chumpboxe.  ;D
This is actually a great card! Every one of the fights on the main card is great.  I disagree with you on Diaz.  I think he will keep it standing for a while. He knows he can always take it to the ground if he gets in trouble. He stood with KJ Noons when he could have easily taken it to the ground.  I think Diaz really believes in his boxing.

You son of a bitch, you had me going on that one.  Nick did stand with KJ, but the thing about KJ is while he is a crisp boxer, he lacks the KO power that Paul has.  Nick still leaves his hands to low and his head to high which is what has gotten him dropped so many times, Paul is one of those guys that you usually don't get back up from if he drops you. If it stays standing i'm saying 70/30 Daley.
Predictions
 40/61

WeightPSHR

• Getbig IV
  • _____________
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2011, 08:16:32 PM »
You son of a bitch, you had me going on that one.  Nick did stand with KJ, but the thing about KJ is while he is a crisp boxer, he lacks the KO power that Paul has.  Nick still leaves his hands to low and his head to high which is what has gotten him dropped so many times, Paul is one of those guys that you usually don't get back up from if he drops you. If it stays standing i'm saying 70/30 Daley.

LOL...I knew you'd like that.

I agree that Daley has tons more power than Noons, but Diaz has some great movement and striking.  Great fight for sure, and Diaz always comes to put on a show and fight. Same with Daley.

I think Melendez will pull off the victory as well, but a big test for him.

This will be Jardine's chance to get back on track, but I don't think he's got too much of a chance.

marty31672

• Getbig IV
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2011, 11:41:29 PM »
casey ryan and paul song is a cool fight to watch first

coltrane

• Getbig IV
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2011, 08:12:10 AM »
Would love to see Dailey and Diaz in the UFC again.  Welterweight needs some more talent.

Anyone think Diaz would fare well against GSP?

WeightPSHR

• Getbig IV
  • _____________
« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2011, 08:45:53 AM »
Would love to see Dailey and Diaz in the UFC again.  Welterweight needs some more talent.

Anyone think Diaz would fare well against GSP?

That's an interesting match-up for a couple of reasons.  Diaz has some great striking, and great jujitsu, but once again, GSP is just as good in all these areas, plus he's got the Olympic caliber wrestling as a last resort.

Diaz has looked really great recently, but at the same time, the level of competition hasn't been anywhere near GSP level.

Diaz would for sure keep a fight interesting with GSP, and for that I alone I would love to see it.

*ChuteBoxe*

• Getbig IV
« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2011, 07:36:06 AM »
Excellent night of fights last night.....you could definitely tell the Zuffa presence in effect with all the higher quality in pre fight production vids (That plus Dana showing his face with a Strikeforce shirt on lol....business as usual).  Shitty reffing and judging was a problem though, Cecil Peoples is a shitty judge and even shittier ref...this guy shouldn't even be allowed in a sporting arena of any kind period, that plus the Mexican Yosemite Sam beard guy WTF was that?  Gegard still needs to work on his takedown defense but he clearly did enough to win by one point.  Aoki did what he usually does once the fight hit the ground, shitty gameplan by Beerbohm though.  Melendez is a fuckin beast!  Kawajiri has had some success in K-1 recently with his improved standup and Gil absolutely destroyed him, and Tatsuya is a legit top 10 guy...Gil made him look like he didn't belong in there.  Gil's ready for the UFC guys, he matches up well with all those guys.  Nick Diaz played a dangerous game in fighting Daley standing and got dropped twice because of it (almost got put away with that left hook), but he stayed in there and despite being dropped and had surprisingly good head movement making Daley miss most of those shots, his body head attack wore Paul down and he clipped him with a short right hook at the end that sealed it for him....helluva fight. I'd like to see him in there with a low level wrestler just to gauge how far he's come with the way he deals with wrestlers.
Predictions
 40/61

Krankenstein

• Getbig V
  • quit·ter : a person can't finish a task
« Reply #8 on: April 10, 2011, 12:06:22 PM »
Excellent night of fights last night.....you could definitely tell the Zuffa presence in effect with all the higher quality in pre fight production vids (That plus Dana showing his face with a Strikeforce shirt on lol....business as usual).  Shitty reffing and judging was a problem though, Cecil Peoples is a shitty judge and even shittier ref...this guy shouldn't even be allowed in a sporting arena of any kind period, that plus the Mexican Yosemite Sam beard guy WTF was that?  Gegard still needs to work on his takedown defense but he clearly did enough to win by one point.  Aoki did what he usually does once the fight hit the ground, shitty gameplan by Beerbohm though.  Melendez is a fuckin beast!  Kawajiri has had some success in K-1 recently with his improved standup and Gil absolutely destroyed him, and Tatsuya is a legit top 10 guy...Gil made him look like he didn't belong in there.  Gil's ready for the UFC guys, he matches up well with all those guys.  Nick Diaz played a dangerous game in fighting Daley standing and got dropped twice because of it (almost got put away with that left hook), but he stayed in there and despite being dropped and had surprisingly good head movement making Daley miss most of those shots, his body head attack wore Paul down and he clipped him with a short right hook at the end that sealed it for him....helluva fight. I'd like to see him in there with a low level wrestler just to gauge how far he's come with the way he deals with wrestlers.

One of those times that Diaz went down was a slip (from what I saw).  Also, I dont think I agree with the stoppage.  Daley may have gotten his ass handed to him in the 2nd, but he was far from not defending himself.  That Jardeen fight solidifies why I absolutely cant stand the guy.  Almost every fight (save the Wandy one) is boring as fuck when he is in it.  I cant figure out why the crowd was booing Gil when he was talking after the fight.  Can someone enlighten me?

*ChuteBoxe*

• Getbig IV
« Reply #9 on: April 10, 2011, 12:18:56 PM »
One of those times that Diaz went down was a slip (from what I saw).  Also, I dont think I agree with the stoppage.  Daley may have gotten his ass handed to him in the 2nd, but he was far from not defending himself.  That Jardeen fight solidifies why I absolutely cant stand the guy.  Almost every fight (save the Wandy one) is boring as fuck when he is in it.  I cant figure out why the crowd was booing Gil when he was talking after the fight.  Can someone enlighten me?

They were booing Jake Shields as soon as he got the mic....he never was the most popular or well liked guy in Strikeforce and he's carrying that energy with him over to the UFC as well (there are lots of reasons they could be booing Jake).  Daley might have recovered but the way he was unsteady and fell after that short right hook was an indicator for Big John to look at the fight real close...Nick got a good 10 punches in after Paul fell...would he have recovered since there was only 3 seconds left?  Maybe...but I can see where Big John got caught up in the punishment Paul was taking and lost track of the clock. Slightly questionable stoppage as far as the time goes..but Paul was taking some shots, hurt, while on his back.

Predictions
 40/61

K-1

• Getbig IV
  • TEAM NO MERCY!!!
« Reply #10 on: April 10, 2011, 02:23:39 PM »
They were booing Jake Shields as soon as he got the mic....he never was the most popular or well liked guy in Strikeforce and he's carrying that energy with him over to the UFC as well (there are lots of reasons they could be booing Jake).  Daley might have recovered but the way he was unsteady and fell after that short right hook was an indicator for Big John to look at the fight real close...Nick got a good 10 punches in after Paul fell...would he have recovered since there was only 3 seconds left?  Maybe...but I can see where Big John got caught up in the punishment Paul was taking and lost track of the clock. Slightly questionable stoppage as far as the time goes..but Paul was taking some shots, hurt, while on his back.

to be honest when I saw big john I was wondering how he felt about strike being owned by zuffa now and his beef with dana/ufc..etc

Unless they keep the strike brand going and just do a us vs them all in house...he'll be out on his a$$.

I'd actually like to see them keep the brand and do a strike vs ufc ......either way all the money is going home...don't matter which brand the fans like.

*ChuteBoxe*

• Getbig IV
« Reply #11 on: April 10, 2011, 02:34:31 PM »
I'd actually like to see them keep the brand and do a strike vs ufc ......either way all the money is going home...don't matter which brand the fans like.

I agree, it makes everything a little more interesting...I think with the UFC's marketing tools to help get it's name out there a bit more, they can make enough to keep Strikeforce around.  It has enough talent of it's own to make those dream match-ups that the fans want to see and the whole "us vs. them" thing makes it even that much more interesting (and possibly profitable like you said). 
Predictions
 40/61

K-1

• Getbig IV
  • TEAM NO MERCY!!!
« Reply #12 on: April 10, 2011, 03:45:34 PM »
I agree, it makes everything a little more interesting...I think with the UFC's marketing tools to help get it's name out there a bit more, they can make enough to keep Strikeforce around.  It has enough talent of it's own to make those dream match-ups that the fans want to see and the whole "us vs. them" thing makes it even that much more interesting (and possibly profitable like you said). 

yes. It opens the doors to "those" who don't want to fight/work under UFC brand (hendo, Daley was kicked out, Diaz past, Big john, Barnett, Fedor..etc the list goes on...) all these guys can STILL sign under strike and get paid by Zuffa entertainment if they don't officially let Dana run both brands. I think this would not only let those who want to exclusively fight UFC fight with UFC but also allow those who could give a fuc to fight with UFC to fight for strike and stake claim there and create an in house rivalry.....kind of like the NFL...the whole AFC vs NFC thing....that was simply based off the AFL vs NFL merger.....then eventually it turned into NFC vs AFC for title.

To this day i'm an NFC guy...no matter the team. Dana and Zuffa should think about this if they truely want the brand to be as big as NFL...exclusive UFC brand will lose interests of fans like me who like diversity. The typical american fan doesn't even know jake shields or give a fuc about GSP simply b/c he isn't american. They'd rather watch Chuck Liddell or Brock possibly all b/c of brock being with WWE and chuck being sold as the lead UFC guy for years.

The merger could be glorious for Zuffa if they do it correctly but it can also bury them if they fuc it up and kill strike. Other than strike nobody is even close IMO.