Author Topic: Oldtimer1  (Read 429828 times)

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
Re: Oldtimer1
« Reply #1200 on: June 11, 2020, 03:14:07 PM »
Ocean City, NJ boardwalk and beach was very busy yesterday and packed on the weekend.

Hardly anyone masked.

Loads of people on the beaches and boardwalks but businesses still not allowed to open.  Ridiculous.

This is a neat site with cams on the shore.

http://attheshore.com/

Thought you lived in NY?  You live in Jersey? If you're not from the area, Ocean city, NJ has a strange rule of not selling alcohol.  Zero bars and no alcohol at restaurants.

IroNat

• Getbig V
  • The only constant in life is change. – Heraclitus
« Reply #1201 on: June 11, 2020, 03:16:20 PM »
Thought you lived in NY?  You live in Jersey?

Indeed.

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #1202 on: June 11, 2020, 03:27:37 PM »
Leg day:

It was really tough. Yesterday we had a low key pool party for immediate family. It was sunny and the beer was cold. I was out in the sun for hours and today I'm really drained. Just powered through the workout. Felt I was pushing it right to the edge.  Completely shot and vegetating on the couch.

Ordered new living room furniture through the internet from South Carolina. They got 3K of my money. About a week later I contacted them and said what's the time frame to get the stuff. They said two months to make and up to 20 days to arrive. WTF? Today is bulk pickup which is quarterly and I have to put my living room set on the curb. I guess beach chairs will rule for a long time till I get my stuff. 

Primemuscle

• Getbig V
« Reply #1203 on: June 11, 2020, 03:41:26 PM »
Leg day:

It was really tough. Yesterday we had a low key pool party for immediate family. It was sunny and the beer was cold. I was out in the sun for hours and today I'm really drained. Just powered through the workout. Felt I was pushing it right to the edge.  Completely shot and vegetating on the couch.

Ordered new living room furniture through the internet from South Carolina. They got 3K of my money. About a week later I contacted them and said what's the time frame to get the stuff. They said two months to make and up to 20 days to arrive. WTF? Today is bulk pickup which is quarterly and I have to put my living room set on the curb. I guess beach chairs will rule for a long time till I get my stuff.

Not sure what you mean by living room set. Back in the day (before either of us was born), a living room or parlor set would be a sofa and a couple of matching chairs. Anyway, custom furniture has always taken about 3 months to be made and delivered. High Point, North Carolina was once the furniture manufacturing capital of the world. A lot of high quality furniture has been built in North and South Carolina.

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #1204 on: June 11, 2020, 04:05:29 PM »
Not sure what you mean by living room set. Back in the day (before either of us was born), a living room or parlor set would be a sofa and a couple of matching chairs. Anyway, custom furniture has always taken about 3 months to be made and delivered. High Point, North Carolina was once the furniture manufacturing capital of the world. A lot of high quality furniture has been built in North and South Carolina.

Not custom but made to order from their catalog. Just looking to get a love seat, couch and a living room chair. Our last set was only bought 4 years ago and it's showing terrible wear. I have two living rooms in my house  and the furniture in the one we rarely utilize was from a company that's out of business. Anything I bought from the company has held up amazingly well. I looked up the company and found a furniture maker bought the name of the out of business company. He has almost their full line but he has nothing made. Everything is made when ordered. I think I misspoke. The company is out of North Carolina.

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #1205 on: June 13, 2020, 04:31:13 PM »
Trained delt and arms today. Used a new exercise for biceps. Never see anyone do this at the gym. Learned it from the site Athleanx on youtube. For my biceps I did alternate dumbbell curls 2 x 8 45lbs dumbbells. Then I did this new exercise. It really makes you supinate your hands and works peak contraction great. I used a light weight and high reps since I wanted to get into the groove of the exercise. I did 3 sets of 20. What a pump and burn. Finished with two sets of concentration curls. I like the new movement I'm doing. Seems to work out well for peak contraction. 

After training I went to the beach with the wife. It was so crowded it seemed like prime time July here. I was surprised. Thought it would be pretty empty with the covid thing going on. It was packed with plenty of eye candy. My wife's friend joined us. She wears a bikini at 57. She pulls it off. Everyone seemed to be six feet apart. One woman said to my wife who stood and walked to see dolphins going by, "You have to move you're too close."  She wasn't.  I looked over at the couple. Both about 50 years old. The guy had dirty hair hanging in a pony tail half way down his back weighing about 145lbs at 5'10" of zero muscle and she had the typical butch hair cut. Two Bernie voters no doubt.

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #1206 on: June 15, 2020, 06:50:13 PM »
Ran 8 x quarter miles with a quarter mile fast walk warm up and a quarter mile cool down. I think as I age warming up and cooling down are important to avoid heart attacks. I didn't do anything crazy speed wise. I think from a lifting stand point I'm doing well but I really let my cardio slip.  Too much drinking on days off from lifting. Days that I should have been doing cardio. 

Primemuscle

• Getbig V
« Reply #1207 on: June 15, 2020, 07:39:43 PM »
Trained delt and arms today. Used a new exercise for biceps. Never see anyone do this at the gym. Learned it from the site Athleanx on youtube. For my biceps I did alternate dumbbell curls 2 x 8 45lbs dumbbells. Then I did this new exercise. It really makes you supinate your hands and works peak contraction great. I used a light weight and high reps since I wanted to get into the groove of the exercise. I did 3 sets of 20. What a pump and burn. Finished with two sets of concentration curls. I like the new movement I'm doing. Seems to work out well for peak contraction. 

After training I went to the beach with the wife. It was so crowded it seemed like prime time July here. I was surprised. Thought it would be pretty empty with the covid thing going on. It was packed with plenty of eye candy. My wife's friend joined us. She wears a bikini at 57. She pulls it off. Everyone seemed to be six feet apart. One woman said to my wife who stood and walked to see dolphins going by, "You have to move you're too close."  She wasn't.  I looked over at the couple. Both about 50 years old. The guy had dirty hair hanging in a pony tail half way down his back weighing about 145lbs at 5'10" of zero muscle and she had the typical butch hair cut. Two Bernie voters no doubt.

No doubt.  ::)

IroNat

• Getbig V
« Reply #1208 on: June 16, 2020, 08:03:44 AM »

Sounds best to stay as far away from them as possible.

IroNat

• Getbig V
« Reply #1209 on: June 16, 2020, 08:04:34 AM »
Ran 8 x quarter miles with a quarter mile fast walk warm up and a quarter mile cool down. I think as I age warming up and cooling down are important to avoid heart attacks. I didn't do anything crazy speed wise. I think from a lifting stand point I'm doing well but I really let my cardio slip.  Too much drinking on days off from lifting. Days that I should have been doing cardio. 

You're definitely falling apart, bro.

Primemuscle

• Getbig V
« Reply #1210 on: June 16, 2020, 04:37:28 PM »

Get yourself a sports watch that monitors you heart rate as you run.

This one is almost $400 on sale....which isn't much to spend to stay heart healthy.

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #1211 on: June 16, 2020, 05:40:47 PM »
Prime I don't see the point in monitoring your heart rate. Staying in the fat burn zone by heart rate is just discredited science. Today I just did the same 8 x quarter miles. Nothing insane but dipped into the 7 minute plus mile pace. Doing this after work. I can't stand working out after work. My workouts go the best if I can get a workout in prior work. Luckily I only work an average of 3 days a week with varying hours from 8 to 4 hours in my retirement job. 

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #1212 on: June 17, 2020, 02:53:21 PM »
Tired and I'm doing nothing.  Tomorrow is another day.

IroNat

• Getbig V
« Reply #1213 on: June 18, 2020, 03:36:22 AM »
Tired and I'm doing nothing.  Tomorrow is another day.

Smart.

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #1214 on: June 19, 2020, 03:22:57 PM »
Chest and Arms day:

Bench press 2 x 6 then 1 x 1 (testing the bad shoulder. Used light weights. So far so good)
Incline barbell 2x6
Decline dumbbell 2 x 8
Flat fly 2 x 10 (I have to see how the joint swelling is tomorrow. Feel really good as I type this about 5 hours after)

Rope pushdowns 2 x 12
Single dumbbell two hands behind head 2 x 12
Traditional tricep pushdowns with a straight bar 2 x 10
Single dumbbell one hand behind head 1 x 12

Barbell straight bar curl 2 x 10
Alternate dumbbell curl 2 x 8
Single dumbbell plate held curls 2 x 15 (See earlier post for an explanation. Great peak movement)
Concentration curls 1 x 12

Wrist curls 2 x 25
Wrist extensions 2 x 15

Weighted ab crunch 1 x 50 (held plate behind head)
Pulley crunch 1 x 50

Ran 1.48 miles after in the humid hot sun. Surprised at my pace given by my GPS Garmin watch considering I just lifted. Very satisfied with the speed. I will intentionally try to kill it next time I run if all eight cylinders are firing. Having all cylinders firing is an increasingly rare thing but I felt great today. Lifting went well as well as the running.  Did my usual floating in the pool afterward. Very intense sun even though it was only about 80 degrees. Really brown tan now. From a physique perspective it really improves the look. Zane always competed with a deep tan in his later years. Sad to see him so fragile looking now. Getting old happens to all of us.

IroNat

• Getbig V
« Reply #1215 on: June 19, 2020, 05:36:32 PM »
Stay light on the bench press.  Stay healthy.

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #1216 on: June 19, 2020, 05:46:40 PM »
Stay light on the bench press.  Stay healthy.

I kept it light. Nothing over 200lbs for now.

Primemuscle

• Getbig V
« Reply #1217 on: June 20, 2020, 03:48:24 PM »
Prime I don't see the point in monitoring your heart rate. Staying in the fat burn zone by heart rate is just discredited science. Today I just did the same 8 x quarter miles. Nothing insane but dipped into the 7 minute plus mile pace. Doing this after work. I can't stand working out after work. My workouts go the best if I can get a workout in prior work. Luckily I only work an average of 3 days a week with varying hours from 8 to 4 hours in my retirement job.

Who cares about being in the fat burning zone? When I'm exercising, I burn a few calories and expend some energy. There are many other reasons to monitor one's heart rate. https://www.fitness19.com/the-importance-of-heart-rate-when-exercising/#:~:text=Being%20aware%20of%20your%20heart,oxygen%20more%20efficiently%20than%20before.

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #1218 on: June 20, 2020, 07:17:05 PM »
I would guess the majority of people using heart rate monitors doing cardio are trying to keep their heart rate in the fat burn zone. They are afraid of exerting them self too much going into the glycogen zone burning sugar. The basic truth is the more you exert yourself the more fat you burn regardless of what fuel you are burning. Yes, a 6 minute mile is metabolically greater than a 12 minute mile.

Today I ran two miles in the heat feeling pretty good lately.  My previous interval session put some spring back into my legs. Looking forward to another interval session then testing the results with a two or three mile run. Drank too many beers and even ate pie after dinner. This summer pool weather is going to kill me. Tomorrow is father's day. Another day of partying. Thank God, Monday is work.  ;D

The Scott

• Getbig V
  • I'm a victim of soicumcision!!
« Reply #1219 on: June 20, 2020, 09:36:13 PM »
I trained back and chest today.  Five sets of 10 reps X two exercises.  Light weights too.  I have never been strong on bench but since I have the vertical bench press machine, I did them without fear of getting stuck.  I also do the pec-deck.  Back was straight arm pulldowns as I am trying to simulate the excellent Nautilus Pullover machine and then after those 5 sets, I did 5 sets of 10 reps on lat pulldowns.

I have been thinking of getting a fApple iPhone as my children want me to get a fApple Watch because I tend to fall.  Frequently. I am now on my 9th cell phone in far less than two years due to falling. So this watch with the iPhone will call a family member or even 911 if I do not get up.  Having literally knocked myself cold a few times, I suppose I should get this phone and watch.

It would be able to do some of the things you guys mention such as heart-rate and maybe pulse.  I tried to go to the fApple store today but it was a madhouse of weirdos and I didn't want to wait in line for at least an hour so I left.  Do any of you have one of these iPhone/Watch combinations or poerhaps a simialar android setlup?

I'm giving in and getting the polio crutches next week. Dammit.  All my life I've NEVER had alcohol or drugs because I wanted to be healthy.  Then I fall off a roof and a couple of years later, one of my co-workers was trying to move a rack of equipment weighing 500+ pounds and it overcame him and began crushing him so I got under it somehow and when it fell I took the weight and the hit.  I messed up my shoulders but he is alive and that is what matters. He is a good man with a wife and two wonderful children.  I can only do DB laterals with 10 or so pounds.  I've worked  hard to get up there but when I get to a heavier weight it just seems to mess me up.  Yes.

I need the advices of good men such as you gentlemen and I am serious.  I'm not really complaining, more whining really.  I just want  a path back, if you will.  If not, I will just continue to read this and IroNat's thread and as I just did, watch the old film Athena with Steve Reeves and Dick Dubois for inspiration.

IroNat

• Getbig V
« Reply #1220 on: June 21, 2020, 07:00:15 AM »
I trained back and chest today.  Five sets of 10 reps X two exercises.  Light weights too.  I have never been strong on bench but since I have the vertical bench press machine, I did them without fear of getting stuck.  I also do the pec-deck.  Back was straight arm pulldowns as I am trying to simulate the excellent Nautilus Pullover machine and then after those 5 sets, I did 5 sets of 10 reps on lat pulldowns.

I have been thinking of getting a fApple iPhone as my children want me to get a fApple Watch because I tend to fall.  Frequently. I am now on my 9th cell phone in far less than two years due to falling. So this watch with the iPhone will call a family member or even 911 if I do not get up.  Having literally knocked myself cold a few times, I suppose I should get this phone and watch.

It would be able to do some of the things you guys mention such as heart-rate and maybe pulse.  I tried to go to the fApple store today but it was a madhouse of weirdos and I didn't want to wait in line for at least an hour so I left.  Do any of you have one of these iPhone/Watch combinations or poerhaps a simialar android setlup?

I'm giving in and getting the polio crutches next week. Dammit.  All my life I've NEVER had alcohol or drugs because I wanted to be healthy.  Then I fall off a roof and a couple of years later, one of my co-workers was trying to move a rack of equipment weighing 500+ pounds and it overcame him and began crushing him so I got under it somehow and when it fell I took the weight and the hit.  I messed up my shoulders but he is alive and that is what matters. He is a good man with a wife and two wonderful children.  I can only do DB laterals with 10 or so pounds.  I've worked  hard to get up there but when I get to a heavier weight it just seems to mess me up.  Yes.

I need the advices of good men such as you gentlemen and I am serious.  I'm not really complaining, more whining really.  I just want  a path back, if you will.  If not, I will just continue to read this and IroNat's thread and as I just did, watch the old film Athena with Steve Reeves and Dick Dubois for inspiration.

Sir Scott,

I don't know anything about Apple stuff.

Keep training.  I've read stories of people seriously injured who through consistent weight training have made tremendous recoveries of physical abilities.

Train light for reps in the range of 8-20 or so and be patient.  Try to train those areas where you have suffered to help regenerate nerve endings.  Be consistent.  Don't overdue it.  Use bodyweight only if necessary.

You are an inspiration to us, brother.

The Scott

• Getbig V
« Reply #1221 on: June 21, 2020, 07:22:05 AM »
Sir Scott,

I don't know anything about Apple stuff.

Keep training.  I've read stories of people seriously injured who through consistent weight training have made tremendous recoveries of physical abilities.

Train light for reps in the range of 8-20 or so and be patient.  Try to train those areas where you have suffered to help regenerate nerve endings.  Be consistent.  Don't overdue it.  Use bodyweight only if necessary.

You are an inspiration to us, brother.

Thanks, brother.  I have some nerve damage in my one leg and both arms.  Like I said, my co-worker (and good friend) is still with us and that's what matters most.

I was stronger about 5 years ago but my doctor's think it's not just age but the fall and the heavy rack that I got hit with.  I am far better than so many people I've seen in this world.   You, oldtimer1 and even Prime are inspiring to me.  I will train shoulders and arms today.  I've thought about training my one good leg but that would make the whole "fiddler crab" thing even funnier to see, LOL!  But I will ask my doctors this coming week as maybe it will help me.

Thanks again!

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #1222 on: June 21, 2020, 12:45:24 PM »

Wow, some story about the roof fall. Is the roof fall the cause of your balance issues?  Is the balance issue a brain or inner ear problem? Any opinion I give regarding your medical issues take with a grain of salt knowing I have no medical background. That is a really tough obstacle to over come. Maybe a doctor can write you a prescription for a physical therapist so you can work on balance issues with a professional a couple of days a week. I have a low opinion of most physical therapists but I'm sure there are some good ones out there. Has the balance issues been addressed by a health professional?

Again take this as coming from a person with no medical background. I found two methods for myself when I found myself out of shape. One is to do exactly what you are doing. Light weight and perfect form till you are back in the groove. Another involves high reps. Never be afraid of high reps and moderate weight. It will burn like crazy but for me seems to wake up muscle memory.  Doing sets of 15 or even 20 with light weights will reactivate your muscles so when you go back to "normal" reps you should progress quickly barring set backs from your medical state.  Maybe even do a rep progression like Kai Green does minus the produce. He uses in plenty of exercises three sets of 20-15-12 with increasing weight each set. I digress but here's a story about high reps. A guy who is a school teacher hurt his rotator cuff severely wrestling with a young man. It was so bad he felt his lifting was over because even after the operation he couldn't use the arm for anything regarding lifting. He went on a very successful running program. He still desired to lift but couldn't figure out how because the shoulder was just destroyed even with the surgery. He devised a program with really light weights but high reps. He said he goes for the burn and not for the weight used. His body is really impressive. Maybe not in the body building standard but by the ripped athlete standard.

Regarding regaining your balance that might be something for a health professional. Can you walk for 20 minutes or is too dangerous to do with your balance?  I know on a treadmill it really can throw a healthy person's balance off. It's not natural to run and for you brain not to see things move meaning your visual environment. As crazy as it sounds I think the treadmill has increased my balance but could be deadly dangerous for you. Maybe a simple drill of standing on one leg and trying to increase the time every day making sure you have something to grab could help. I know Clarence Bass does this every day to increase balance. I think walking outside can be something that can increase balance but I just don't know if it's safe for you. I don't want you to break a hip, arm or bang your head in a fall.

Sorry for your health set backs. The frustration and even depression can really be aggravating.  Do what you can do and fuck the rest.  I know a guy that was a bench specialist. When he had elbow problems and a unsuccessful elbow operation his benching 405lbs was over. For him that was the only lift. He trained the bench, biceps and triceps. Nothing else. After that he told me how down he was. I guess his self image was all tied up in that bench. He felt he was stronger than everyone because of that bench and it must have done a number on his ego.  I told him there are 40 plus other exercises in lifting but he gave up lifting because to him there was only one lift the bench. Thought it was sad. The reason I bought this up is do what you can do and forget the rest. Also never think body weight exercises are second rate to lifting. I'm sure a lot of elite military would disagree. Wish you the best and stay in touch with your progress or set backs.

Primemuscle

• Getbig V
« Reply #1223 on: June 21, 2020, 04:29:05 PM »

How do polio crutches differ from other crutches? Imagine if you'd not lived a healthy life and suffered those accidents. No matter how careful we are, we never know when something unforeseen might happen.

A few years back, a woman rear ended a vehicle my daughter was a passenger in. The impact was enormous since the woman was on her phone and didn't look up in time to hit the breaks before she hit them. The force was so great it pushed their Ford Escape, which was stopped waiting for the light to change at the bottom of a long on-ramp several yards forward and nearly into the traffic on to I-205. All the airbags deployed, causing my daughter to hit her head twice against the support post between the front and back doors. Years later she still suffers memory loss, cluster and severe  migraine headaches, and occasionally total blackouts.

You should be able to get your Apple or Android watch from your carrier. You could also check one of the big box stores, like Best Buy and probably get one for half the price you'd pay your carrier. https://www.bestbuy.com/site/apple-watch-series-5-gps-44mm-space-gray-aluminum-case-with-black-sport-band-space-gray-aluminum/5706633.p?skuId=5706633. I'm partial to Samsung which they also carry.  You will still need an Iphone or a Smart phone to make phone calls from your watch. https://reviews.chicagotribune.com/reviews/best-apple-watches. This is a big investment, so you'll want to be sure you get something that does what you need it to.

The Scott

• Getbig V
« Reply #1224 on: June 21, 2020, 07:21:23 PM »
How do polio crutches differ from other crutches? Imagine if you'd not lived a healthy life and suffered those accidents. No matter how careful we are, we never know when something unforeseen might happen.

A few years back, a woman rear ended a vehicle my daughter was a passenger in. The impact was enormous since the woman was on her phone and didn't look up in time to hit the breaks before she hit them. The force was so great it pushed their Ford Escape, which was stopped waiting for the light to change at the bottom of a long on-ramp several yards forward and nearly into the traffic on to I-205. All the airbags deployed, causing my daughter to hit her head twice against the support post between the front and back doors. Years later she still suffers memory loss, cluster and severe  migraine headaches, and occasionally total blackouts.

You should be able to get your Apple or Android watch from your carrier. You could also check one of the big box stores, like Best Buy and probably get one for half the price you'd pay your carrier. https://www.bestbuy.com/site/apple-watch-series-5-gps-44mm-space-gray-aluminum-case-with-black-sport-band-space-gray-aluminum/5706633.p?skuId=5706633. I'm partial to Samsung which they also carry.  You will still need an Iphone or a Smart phone to make phone calls from your watch. https://reviews.chicagotribune.com/reviews/best-apple-watches. This is a big investment, so you'll want to be sure you get something that does what you need it to.

I call the crutches with forearm brackets "polio" crutches because they remind me of the ones the March of Dimes pictures had as a child.

I had a woman hit me at metered on-ramp where I was waiting my turn. She had a seizure (I saw her in my rear-view mirror and knew I was in for it) and hit me going approximately 40 mph.  She totaled the car I was in, even bending the frame from the rear causing it to buckle.

I was fine. I wish your daughter all the best and hope that if it doesn't get better, then at the least I hope it never gets worse.   

I ordered that new iPhone SE today.  Once I figure that outt I will order a watch.  Thank yuo!

I did shoulders and arms today.  10 sets each of ten reps for a total of 30 sets.  Light weights of 10 to 30 lbs.