Author Topic: Oldtimer1  (Read 431686 times)

Primemuscle

• Getbig V
Re: Oldtimer1
« Reply #1075 on: April 13, 2020, 12:40:48 AM »
Cardio:  Did my usual treadmill interval workout. 8 x 440 yards (quarter mile). Each set a little faster than the last. Didn't kill it but I felt it.  Hit the heavy bag after pulling my punches but hit it hard near the end.  

Flex and Prime I will try that stuff and see if it makes a difference.  I was just reading an old interview with Chris Dickerson during his best years around the early 80's. He sure had a long period of competing. He was asked what was the difference in his training back in the day and now. He said in effect without putting words in his mouth that he used to train heavy and feels that was a mistake. He said moderate weights gave his muscles more stimulation and saves his joints. In his elderly years though his joints are a mess. Back in the day when he competed in the AAU Mr. America he had to have athletic points so he had to Olympic lift the day of the contest to show he wasn't a mirror athlete. Certainly a lot of wear and tear through the years.

Hot damn. It was Easter Sunday. Take a day off every once in awhile, you won't fall apart. I keep reading post where it is clear you are thinking about other ways to train, but you can't seem to do that. Change is good. You'll be surprised at how good it is.

njflex

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • HEY PAISAN
« Reply #1076 on: April 13, 2020, 06:38:52 AM »
Hot damn. It was Easter Sunday. Take a day off every once in awhile, you won't fall apart. I keep reading post where it is clear you are thinking about other ways to train, but you can't seem to do that. Change is good. You'll be surprised at how good it is.
I DID LEGS yesterday ,after kids went home after weekend with me...nothing else to do.

Primemuscle

• Getbig V
« Reply #1077 on: April 13, 2020, 09:39:33 AM »
I DID LEGS yesterday ,after kids went home after weekend with me...nothing else to do.

Sometimes having nothing else to do can be inspiring. Doing something is always better than doing nothing. During this time demanding personal distancing, we hopefully find more inventive ways to occupy our time. Working legs always works for me.

Since no one else in my house celebrates Easter, I did it for myself. Like when my wife was still alive, I fixed an Easter dinner of ham with scalloped potatoes and green peas. All that was missing was the deviled eggs made using hard boiled Easter eggs. I think the rest of the folks had their usual which is pizza.

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #1078 on: April 13, 2020, 04:46:47 PM »
Chest and bicep: I did it Yates style one set to failure sometimes after a warm up set.

Dumbbell flat bench 1 x 10 (I normally fail at 7 or 8 reps. Kind of shocked I got 10)
Incline dumbbell bench 1 x 9
Decline dumbbell bench 1 x 9 ( I really think this is a home run exercise. Might be the reason for the extra reps I got in the flat press)
Dumbbell flies 1 x 12 (I was going to eliminate this exercise but my delt is feeling good today)
Push ups 1 x failure

EZ curl 1 x 12
Alternate dumbbell curl 1 x 10
Scott single dumbbell curl 1 x 11
Concentration curl seated 1 x 13

Wrist curl 1 x 27
Wrist extension 1 x 20

Incline sit ups 1 x 27
weighted crunch 1 x 55
Pulley crunch 1 x 52

Gym Observations:  My oldest son actually joined me. He was on the treadmill. He has such potential as a runner but he gave it up. Always felt bad about it. It felt good seeing him go for a short run. My workout is over and I hear him playing his Fender Strat.  Sounds beautiful. He was a lead guitar player in a garage band doing original music. He plays a fusion between jazz and rock. Sounds great. That's another thing he left behind with his running. Now he's playing again. When he was about 10 he use to hit the heavy bag with me. He was a really small kid. We went over a friend's house and his father wanted to show us how his son hit the bag in his garage. I watched him tap it a couple of times. His father said to my son, "Want to try it?"  My son exploded into it like a savage and I could see the look in that father's face. A memory that will stay with me. Even my wife who was there was shocked how he hit.  Anyway it was good to have a little company in the my basement today. 

njflex

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • HEY PAISAN
« Reply #1079 on: April 13, 2020, 04:53:25 PM »
Chest and bicep: I did it Yates style one set to failure sometimes after a warm up set.

Dumbbell flat bench 1 x 10 (I normally fail at 7 or 8 reps. Kind of shocked I got 10)
Incline dumbbell bench 1 x 9
Decline dumbbell bench 1 x 9 ( I really think this is a home run exercise. Might be the reason for the extra reps I got in the flat press)
Dumbbell flies 1 x 12 (I was going to eliminate this exercise but my delt is feeling good today)
Push ups 1 x failure

EZ curl 1 x 12
Alternate dumbbell curl 1 x 10
Scott single dumbbell curl 1 x 11
Concentration curl seated 1 x 13

Wrist curl 1 x 27
Wrist extension 1 x 20

Incline sit ups 1 x 27
weighted crunch 1 x 55
Pulley crunch 1 x 52

Gym Observations:  My oldest son actually joined me. He was on the treadmill. He has such potential as a runner but he gave it up. Always felt bad about it. It felt good seeing him go for a short run. My workout is over and I hear him playing his Fender Strat.  Sounds beautiful. He was a lead guitar player in a garage band doing original music. He plays a fusion between jazz and rock. Sounds great. That's another thing he left behind with his running. Now he's playing again. When he was about 10 he use to hit the heavy bag with me. He was a really small kid. We went over a friend's house and his father wanted to show us how his son hit the bag in his garage. I watched him tap it a couple of times. His father said to my son, "Want to try it?"  My son exploded into it like a savage and I could see the look in that father's face. A memory that will stay with me. Even my wife who was there was shocked how he hit.  Anyway it was good to have a little company in the my basement today. 
You seem like a great father that’s something to be said .esp in this day and age

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #1080 on: April 13, 2020, 06:45:02 PM »
You seem like a great father that’s something to be said .esp in this day and age

Thank you for saying that. I do have great kids. I'm proud of their accomplishment but it pales in comparison to what loving decent people they are. I know when I'm gone they will be tight and look out for each other. One is a doctor of pharmacology, another an Intensive care nurse working in a hospital that's near a corona hot spot; my youngest is in the Army Airborne with one tour of Afghanistan and the son mentioned still lives at home and does something with computers with electrical design.

Primemuscle

• Getbig V
« Reply #1081 on: April 13, 2020, 07:43:20 PM »

Yes he does. There is nothing better than being able to look back on the great stuff your kids did while they were growing up and the wonderful people they have become as adults. You have all this ahead of you still.

AbrahamG

• Getbig V
  • Team Pfizer
« Reply #1082 on: April 13, 2020, 10:33:41 PM »
Thank you for saying that. I do have great kids. I'm proud of their accomplishment but it pales in comparison to what loving decent people they are. I know when I'm gone they will be tight and look out for each other. One is a doctor of pharmacology, another an Intensive care nurse working in a hospital that's near a corona hot spot; my youngest is in the Army Airborne with one tour of Afghanistan and the son mentioned still lives at home and does something with computers with electrical design.

Nothing but respect for you and your children.  I have 3 cousins (one a phy asst, one a nurse and the other a path asst).  All 3 are recovering from covid-19 as is their mother and father aka my aunt and uncle.  They are scheduled to return to work next week.  All 3 will be working the covid floor/unit at their respective hospitals.  For all the despicable behaviors going on in the world today, it's comforting to know we have real life heroes among us. 

On a training note, my buddy is letting me train in his mma gym starting this morning.  He has a decent little weight room.  He assures me that since the shut down only him and his girl have been using anything in their.  Count me among the blessed.

njflex

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • HEY PAISAN
« Reply #1083 on: April 14, 2020, 05:59:43 AM »
Nothing but respect for you and your children.  I have 3 cousins (one a phy asst, one a nurse and the other a path asst).  All 3 are recovering from covid-19 as is their mother and father aka my aunt and uncle.  They are scheduled to return to work next week.  All 3 will be working the covid floor/unit at their respective hospitals.  For all the despicable behaviors going on in the world today, it's comforting to know we have real life heroes among us. 

On a training note, my buddy is letting me train in his mma gym starting this morning.  He has a decent little weight room.  He assures me that since the shut down only him and his girl have been using anything in their.  Count me among the blessed.
nice post ...

AbrahamG

• Getbig V
  • Team Pfizer
« Reply #1084 on: April 14, 2020, 01:51:24 PM »
nice post ...

Thanks man. In real life I'm not an asshole.  :)

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #1085 on: April 14, 2020, 04:42:58 PM »
Nothing but respect for you and your children.  I have 3 cousins (one a phy asst, one a nurse and the other a path asst).  All 3 are recovering from covid-19 as is their mother and father aka my aunt and uncle.  They are scheduled to return to work next week.  All 3 will be working the covid floor/unit at their respective hospitals.  For all the despicable behaviors going on in the world today, it's comforting to know we have real life heroes among us.  

On a training note, my buddy is letting me train in his mma gym starting this morning.  He has a decent little weight room.  He assures me that since the shut down only him and his girl have been using anything in their.  Count me among the blessed.

Thanks for the kind words.

Leg day: Used a Yates work out. Work was long and mentally tiring. Just wanted to hit it and to get it over.  I upped the weight  for the first time in a long time on some exercises. Felt completely spent when I came up from the basement. I always do the grill work. Wife didn't even ask me to do it and next thing I know she is outside cooking. My man card is revoked today. Glad she took mercy on me.

Leg Press 1 x 12
Dumbbell squats 1 x 12
Stiff leg dead 1 x 8
leg extension 1 x 25
Seated leg curl 1 x 15

Single dumbbell side bend 1 x 15
Hanging straight leg raise 1 x 25
Hip ups 1 x 25

Leg press calf 1 x 30
Seated calf 1 x 20
tibalis work 1 x 20

Neck work 1 x 20 all sides.

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #1086 on: April 16, 2020, 09:33:01 AM »
Took Wednesday off. Today Thursday was back Yates style

Pulldowns with a M.A.G bar 1 x 12  140lbs (tried to do pullups but the shoulder hurt too much. Kept back upright with the pulldowns. I don't like the lean back and jerk method. I'm sure I could use 200lbs plus with that method. All the way out and all the way down)
Seated cable long pulls with a V shape handle 1 x 14 170lbs (all the way out and back)
Dumbbell row 1 x 12 85lbs (dead hang and all the way up)
Barbell row 1 x 10 135lbs (Haven't used these in awhile. I do it the old school version bent over like Arnold and Franco. That semi upright version Yates does doesn't feel right to me. Maybe I haven't given it enough time.)

Dead lifts 1 x 6 315lbs (That last rep hurt from exhaustion)
Weighted hyper extensions 1 x 20 25lbs plate behind my head

Ab wheel roll out 1 x 25
ab machine pulley 1 x 50

Pullover with a barbell 1 x 11 (rehab for my shoulder. Really weak from the stretch position.)
Used a hard ball against a wall for pressure point therapy on my rotator cuff from the back. One really painful area I tried to work out. Some people swear by rollers and ball pressure therapy. I will give it a try.

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #1087 on: April 19, 2020, 06:16:20 AM »
Was this site hacked? Couldn't sign on for days. Even today Sunday the site is not operating correctly.

Last Friday I did delts and triceps. After I was finished I did rotator cuff work and shoulder stretching. Adding a new stretches with this plastic thing called a rotator. It actually duplicates two jui jitsu holds.  ;D

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #1088 on: April 19, 2020, 06:17:44 AM »
If this site is hacked and it gets completely deleted like Ironage I just want to say good bye to everyone.

Primemuscle

• Getbig V
« Reply #1089 on: April 19, 2020, 11:06:33 AM »
If this site is hacked and it gets completely deleted like Ironage I just want to say good bye to everyone.

Me too. It's been real (sort of).

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #1090 on: April 23, 2020, 07:15:17 PM »
My plan was to train back and chest today. Finished lats and went to chest. Flat dumbbell completed. Went to inclines with a moderate weight something didn't feel right. My method of operation is that I never quit once started. I left today. Having trouble lifting my arm over my head. It just might be prudent at my age to say I had a good run and to lift for endurance so to speak. I have often said to those with compromised function that they should do what they can do and fuck what they can't. Meaning if you can't do incline presses then forget them and never look back. Bill Pearl's master piece Keys to the Universe has  a ridiculous amount of exercises per body part. I've dumped so many exercises. I rarely barbell squat anymore. One of my favorite exercises and one I credit for my best body part my delts was the press behind the neck is now finished. Curls with a straight bar is rarely used. One of my favorite exercises the power clean and jerk is another rarely used exercise. Thinking about doing something like 4 x 6 reps so it keeps the poundage down. Read Albert Becckles used a lot of sets of the power clean. A rare exercise for bodybuilders. I know Mentzer used it for a period. I think he said his best was something like 335lbs. A really good weight for a power clean. I'm not going to compare myself to a steroid using pro bodybuilder but I would work up to every back workout for my last set with 225lbs to 230lbs for a power clean and jerk.  I realize nothing special but for a natural little guy who didn't specialize in the lift  but used it as part of a bodybuilding routine it felt like an accomplishment for me.

I'm a constant reader about exercise in all it's forms.  Reading a lot about high reps lately. I just might try it.  I know when I read about feeder sets on the main board I gave it a shot. I did one set for biceps of 50 reps and the same for triceps. I had relatively minor bicep tendon soreness prior to trying feeder reps. Nothing major but it was bugging me. One set of feeder reps and it went away. Maybe from the flush of blood.  The pump was unreal and something I'm not accustomed to since I'm a low set trainer. Another thing I read about high reps was from Greg Zulak (spelling?). If I got his writing down from memory he used to do around 8 reps for thighs. His thighs weren't growing. He then did four sets of 50 reps for the leg press and his thighs took off.  Now I would never go that high. If I did the weights would be super light. It just opened my eyes to the value of high reps. The writer Greg Zulak emphasized in the article the value of the pump regarding bodybuilding.

Anyway I'm laying low this week. I think I will do about four days in a row of light running. When I come back I hope to try volume and higher reps. The main obstacle is my retirement job and it's constantly changing schedule.  I never know from week to week what days I'm working because of this virus situation and it's pissing me off. Hey, at least I'm working during this plague. So many are hurting.

Drinking a Guinness. The wife is doing that Zoom thing I think it's called with her girlfriends. They all seem to talk at once. I don't know how they can have a conversation like that.  Bunch of motor mouths.  Can't wait till the pool opens. Maybe I can get them over for a pool party.  

AbrahamG

• Getbig V
  • Team Pfizer
« Reply #1091 on: April 23, 2020, 07:34:03 PM »
My plan was to train back and chest today. Finished lats and went to chest. Flat dumbbell completed. Went to inclines with a moderate weight something didn't feel right. My method of operation is that I never quit once started. I left today. Having trouble lifting my arm over my head. It just might be prudent at my age to say I had a good run and to lift for endurance so to speak. I have often said to those with compromised function that they should do what they can do and fuck what they can't. Meaning if you can't do incline presses then forget them and never look back. Bill Pearl's master piece Keys to the Universe has  a ridiculous amount of exercises per body part. I've dumped so many exercises. I rarely barbell squat anymore. One of my favorite exercises and one I credit for my best body part my delts was the press behind the neck is now finished. Curls with a straight bar is rarely used. One of my favorite exercises the power clean and jerk is another rarely used exercise. Thinking about doing something like 4 x 6 reps so it keeps the poundage down. Read Albert Becckles used a lot of sets of the power clean. A rare exercise for bodybuilders. I know Mentzer used it for a period. I think he said his best was something like 335lbs. A really good weight for a power clean. I'm not going to compare myself to a steroid using pro bodybuilder but I would work up to every back workout for my last set with 225lbs to 230lbs for a power clean and jerk.  I realize nothing special but for a natural little guy who didn't specialize in the lift  but used it as part of a bodybuilding routine it felt like an accomplishment for me.

I'm a constant reader about exercise in all it's forms.  Reading a lot about high reps lately. I just might try it.  I know when I read about feeder sets on the main board I gave it a shot. I did one set for biceps of 50 reps and the same for triceps. I had relatively minor bicep tendon soreness prior to trying feeder reps. Nothing major but it was bugging me. One set of feeder reps and it went away. Maybe from the flush of blood.  The pump was unreal and something I'm not accustomed to since I'm a low set trainer. Another thing I read about high reps was from Greg Zulak (spelling?). If I got his writing down from memory he used to do around 8 reps for thighs. His thighs weren't growing. He then did four sets of 50 reps for the leg press and his thighs took off.  Now I would never go that high. If I did the weights would be super light. It just opened my eyes to the value of high reps. The writer Greg Zulak emphasized in the article the value of the pump regarding bodybuilding.

Anyway I'm laying low this week. I think I will do about four days in a row of light running. When I come back I hope to try volume and higher reps. The main obstacle is my retirement job and it's constantly changing schedule.  I never know from week to week what days I'm working because of this virus situation and it's pissing me off. Hey, at least I'm working during this plague. So many are hurting.

Drinking a Guinness. The wife is doing that Zoom thing I think it's called with her girlfriends. They all seem to talk at once. I don't know how they can have a conversation like that.  Bunch of motor mouths.  Can't wait till the pool opens. Maybe I can get them over for a pool party.  

Next time the wife is zooming or group video chatting you ought to subtly walk behind her naked as a jaybird.

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #1092 on: April 23, 2020, 07:48:38 PM »
Next time the wife is zooming or group video chatting you ought to subtly walk behind her naked as a jaybird.

Don't think it didn't cross my mind.

AbrahamG

• Getbig V
  • Team Pfizer
« Reply #1093 on: April 23, 2020, 07:51:23 PM »
Don't think it didn't cross my mind.

When my kids were babies and toddlers, my wife was in a "mom's club".  Playdates with her, other moms and their rotten kids.  We had alphabet letters on the fridge and one night I pieced a couple together and spelled "dick hole".  Not realizing the next days get together was at my house.  Another mom found my handiwork and my wife wasn't exactly pleased with me.  Still makes me laugh. 

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #1094 on: April 23, 2020, 09:02:48 PM »
My wife isn't the most tech savvy person. I once sent her a sext. She responded sending it to one of her friends who I'm sure is scarred for life.

Primemuscle

• Getbig V
« Reply #1095 on: April 23, 2020, 10:10:41 PM »

It's interesting how you keep reminding yourself the hard way...meaning by doing too much or using too much weight. At least you are paying attention to what your body is trying to tell you, if if it takes you a few reminders before you respond.

I'm all for high reps and less weight. Mobility is more important at this point than strength or size. Although, 25 reps on the leg press can give one an impressive pump.

Have not tried the Zoom thing yet. Next Monday's NW Labor Council meeting will be a Zoom meeting. It should be interesting. Specially if about 75 people show up log on to it.

How does a pool party work when folks are wearing paper masks? I guess they could keep their heads above water while swimming in the pool. Or, are you thinking of the kind of pool party where no one actually takes a dip in the pool? They just walk around in swimsuits.

IroNat

• Getbig V
  • The only constant in life is change. – Heraclitus
« Reply #1096 on: April 24, 2020, 05:40:21 AM »
Interestingly, just about any exercise can be done without pain if the resistance is reduced.

Even behind neck presses can be done.

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #1097 on: April 24, 2020, 05:52:58 AM »
It's interesting how you keep reminding yourself the hard way...meaning by doing too much or using too much weight. At least you are paying attention to what your body is trying to tell you, if if it takes you a few reminders before you respond.

I'm all for high reps and less weight. Mobility is more important at this point than strength or size. Although, 25 reps on the leg press can give one an impressive pump.

Have not tried the Zoom thing yet. Next Monday's NW Labor Council meeting will be a Zoom meeting. It should be interesting. Specially if about 75 people show up log on to it.

How does a pool party work when folks are wearing paper masks? I guess they could keep their heads above water while swimming in the pool. Or, are you thinking of the kind of pool party where no one actually takes a dip in the pool? They just walk around in swimsuits.

Talking about July. If this acts like seasonal flu it should be in very low numbers by then. The drop in new cases is substantial. 

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #1098 on: April 25, 2020, 09:10:07 PM »
Felt like I missed several days here because the site was down. I will start again today. I walked fast on a treadmill for a quarter mile then ran three miles. Had a quarter mile cool down at the end. Each mile faster than the last but nothing crazy. I threw in some inclines along the way but nothing crazy. The running portion went like this for each mile regarding incline.  Quarter mile flat, second quarter one percent grade, third was a 2% grade and the final lap of the mile was again on level ground. That's how I ran the three miles. Truth be told they were relatively slow miles. Hope to pick up the speed tomorrow. Ran to Rick Springfield of all things on my IPOD. He keeps an excellent beat to run with. Going to run a bit before coming back to  hit the weights. I use to take a week off after training hard for a month in the past. It's something I abandoned the past few years. I'm doing it again. 

I also did shoulder rehab today. Three rotator cuff strengthening exercises and eight different shoulder stretches. So many different stretches for shoulders.

Observations: After running in the basement I came up to sirens and blasting music. Turns out it's a 15 year olds birthday today down the cul de sac. With this virus I guess he couldn't have a proper party. About four cop cars and a parade of cars with balloons tied to the cars when by his house beeping the horns and sirens. Some one was being a DJ blasting music from their front lawn. People were all out on the curb and by the front of the their houses. It was like a block party with social distancing.  One woman was dancing wildly shaking her ass to the music. If I had a couple of dollar bills I would have made it rain. Since I didn't have any cash on me I slid my credit card down the crack of her ass. (Just wanted to see if anyone was reading.  ;D)  It was beautiful sunny day after many days of rain and clouds. The neighborhood was out in force. Again by their own houses. I ran today with very little Achilles aggravation.  Just came up to bed like an old man though. Stiff as a board. 

Primemuscle

• Getbig V
« Reply #1099 on: April 25, 2020, 09:38:15 PM »
All I can say is that if you got close enough to swipe your credit card in a dancing woman's ass crack, you weren't practicing social distancing. Shame on you. Hope you sang Happy Birthday at least. LOL.