Author Topic: Oldtimer1  (Read 425213 times)

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
Re: Oldtimer1
« Reply #1225 on: June 21, 2020, 07:22:51 PM »
I did legs today. I was really feeling out of it but I pushed through. 

The Scott

• Getbig V
  • I'm a victim of soicumcision!!
« Reply #1226 on: June 21, 2020, 07:23:47 PM »
I did legs today. I was really feeling out of it but I pushed through.

Excellent!   ;D

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #1227 on: June 23, 2020, 05:55:54 PM »
Back and delts:

Trained after work with my new covid office schedule. I use to work afternoons going into the night. A perfect system for me. Hit the gym in the morning. Go to work then after work it's time to chill. I can't stand going to work then hitting the gym. I'm so drained at the end of the work day. At my retirement job I don't even do anything physical. I guess it's just the nervous energy of being somewhere dealing with people. Hate this system. Tomorrow I'm going to try to run prior to work. Knowing me the alarm will go off and I will reset the clock going back to sleep. I know many people where I live in central Jersey work in Manhattan. I don't know how they work out. Two hour draining commute each way must be brutal. Then again when I worked my real career at the end I drove 105 miles to work each way for about a year. I guess we all do what we have to do to survive and pay the bills.

Pulldowns with a M.A.G. bar 2 x 10 140lbs (I try to use form perfect. Trying to preserve my joints. All the way down and up)
Seated lat pulley rows 2 x 12 170lbs
dumbbell lat row off a bench 2 x 10 80lbs
reverse grip pulldowns 2 x 10

Military barbell press 2 x 8 115lbs (touched clavicles on the down stroke)
dumbbell laterals 2 x 12 25lbs ( thumbs up. no pouring pitcher motion that can cause impingement.)
Rear delt dumbbell 2 x 10 35lbs (seated on a bench bent over)
rope pulls face level 2 x 12 75lbs

deadlifts 2 x 4 315lbs
barbell shrugs 2 x 10 250lbs
Weighted hyper extension 2x15 25lbs plate behind head. 

Feet on bench crunches 1 x 50 10lbs plate behind head

Thinking about replacing deadlifts with snatches for awhile. I got into them maybe 7 years ago or so and it was fun. Just concerned if I do them now I'm going to break something in my body, lol. They were really challenging but they were exciting to do. Explode into an athletic movement instead of grinding away reps on bodybuilding exercises. I use to use  2 x 4 then 2 x 2 after warm up. I rarely did a single. More of a conditioning exercise than looking for my one rep max.

Primemuscle

• Getbig V
« Reply #1228 on: June 23, 2020, 07:13:27 PM »
I call the crutches with forearm brackets "polio" crutches because they remind me of the ones the March of Dimes pictures had as a child.

I had a woman hit me at metered on-ramp where I was waiting my turn. She had a seizure (I saw her in my rear-view mirror and knew I was in for it) and hit me going approximately 40 mph.  She totaled the car I was in, even bending the frame from the rear causing it to buckle.

I was fine. I wish your daughter all the best and hope that if it doesn't get better, then at the least I hope it never gets worse.   

I ordered that new iPhone SE today.  Once I figure that outt I will order a watch.  Thank yuo!

I did shoulders and arms today.  10 sets each of ten reps for a total of 30 sets.  Light weights of 10 to 30 lbs.

I feel very fortunate in that I have never been in a major auto accident. It is interesting that yours was so similar to my daughter and son-in-law's situation. Makes me wonder if getting hit while waiting to enter the freeway is a fairly common occurrence. In my daughters situation both vehicles were totaled.

Your younger than me (isn't everyone?), but at any age falling is no joke. Many, people get seriously hurt this way. My equilibrium isn't as good as it once was. There have been times when I felt as if I was going to fall because I got off balance, (notice I didn't say unbalanced). :) One thing I found which seems to help restore my sense of balance is walking on the treadmill. When I first got back on it after a longtime not using one, I had to hold on to the handrails. I really felt lame...but I did stay upright.

You and the other folks here are killing me. Good for you sticking with your workout routine. I've been an absolute slug these past few weeks. I don't even have a good excuse since the gym I frequent is open again. Maybe being almost a 'shut-in' for a couple of months has heightened my fear of crowds or even just going out. That's not a good thing because I could easily never leave the house again.

On a positive note, the weather has been really good lately. I've managed to do an hour or more of gardening each day which is something I from which I get a lot of pleasure.

I hope the iPhone and the Apple watch will be all that you hope for. Apple products are not cheap. My son-in-law wants me to trade in my desktop computer for an iMac. I like the one with a 27" screen because I can also use it to watch TV and stream videos to watch from bed. I wear hearing aids which are designed to be used with an iPhone and I have an Android phone. Probably need to think about changing that too.

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #1229 on: June 24, 2020, 02:59:46 PM »
Two slug miles in the humidity. Disgusted with the time but I have to keep telling myself a bad run is better than no run. Tomorrow is a another day. Time to jump in the pool and crack open a cold one.

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #1230 on: June 29, 2020, 07:23:14 PM »
Took a couple of days off. Hit back and chest today. Back training went great. I tried to do barbell benches but immediately regretted it. Went to declines but the irritation was done. I think as we age we have to constantly modify what we do.  No shame in dropping an old reliable exercise. I have friend my size and about my age still pushing around 400 in the bench. His elbow is in constant pain and his shoulders. Further he has no visible development from pushing that heavy weight. His arms are tooth picks and his chest is flabby. Sometimes I think he would be better off for muscle stimulation if he did sets of 12-15 reps with perfect form and light weight. 

These are some bad exercises for me right now for chest concerning my shoulder. Bench, DB inclines and flat flies. Barbell incline is something I might try for awhile. DB Inclines I think I'm just hurting the shoulder getting into position.  Kicking them up and going down is a lot of rotational force. Wish I was young again.

These don't seem to cause me any grief. Decline dumbbell, weighted dips and push ups. I guess it's not a bad thing to be stuck with. Heard Zane used decline flies when his shoulder went bad. Might give them a shot too.

IroNat

• Getbig V
  • Every brother ain't a brother.
« Reply #1231 on: June 30, 2020, 04:26:11 AM »
What weight did you use in the bench presses?

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #1232 on: June 30, 2020, 04:42:49 PM »
What weight did you use in the bench presses?

I did a warm up with 135lbs and my shoulder screamed. Maybe I should have used the bar first and then the warm up weight. No problem though. Like I wrote I have alternatives that are just as good.

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #1233 on: June 30, 2020, 04:56:09 PM »
I trained legs after work.  I can't stand working out after work. Working out before work has always worked best for me. I know the gyms are packed after five but it sure isn't my choice. How do people work out late?  I'm wired out of my mind now.  Leg presses, squats, stiff deads and all the rest isn't conducive to sleep  for an early bed night for work.

njflex

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • HEY PAISAN
« Reply #1234 on: June 30, 2020, 06:45:00 PM »
Nice rich ,,with gyms out of luck a bit more ,,your one lucky dude,,,,my home set up has kept me well ,,I feel good and in usual summer look...heavy weights aside I get a nice pump with what I have at home.

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #1235 on: June 30, 2020, 07:11:10 PM »
Nice rich ,,with gyms out of luck a bit more ,,your one lucky dude,,,,my home set up has kept me well ,,I feel good and in usual summer look...heavy weights aside I get a nice pump with what I have at home.

True I haven't missed a planned workout. I drive by the commercial gym about a mile from my house and it's weird to see the parking lot empty. I feel sorry for the owner. It really is a mom and pop operation. He also owns the karate dojo and barber shop next door. All closed down. The barber shop just opened a couple of days ago. I've gotten so good at cutting my own hair I don't know if I will go back.

What type of equipment do you have at home?  I know a guy I use to work with has two 80lbs dumbbells and he looks great. If you have a will there will be a way.

njflex

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • HEY PAISAN
« Reply #1236 on: June 30, 2020, 07:22:17 PM »
True I haven't missed a planned workout. I drive by the commercial gym about a mile from my house and it's weird to see the parking lot empty. I feel sorry for the owner. It really is a mom and pop operation. He also owns the karate dojo and barber shop next door. All closed down. The barber shop just opened a couple of days ago. I've gotten so good at cutting my own hair I don't know if I will go back.

What type of equipment do you have at home?  I know a guy I use to work with has two 80lbs dumbbells and he looks great. If you have a will there will be a way.
My bedroom is part gym,lol I have bench does inc,flat,decline,bells 15,20,30,35,50,60,curl bar,heavy bands,I only miss heavy leg work,I make it work I lunge up 4 flights steps in apt building with 35 in each hand I dbell squat,I’m good actually considering

Primemuscle

• Getbig V
« Reply #1237 on: June 30, 2020, 08:35:09 PM »

I suspect if this pandemic starts having more of a resurgence, our governor will shut the gyms, restaurants and gyms down again. I've only gone once since it reopened. I was bothered by the fact that other folks were not wearing masks. I like being fit and healthy. If I were to contract COVID-19, I could become neither fit nor healthy....or I could die. None of which seems worth the risk of working out at the gym just yet.

njflex

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • HEY PAISAN
« Reply #1238 on: July 01, 2020, 05:32:57 AM »
I suspect if this pandemic starts having more of a resurgence, our governor will shut the gyms, restaurants and gyms down again. I've only gone once since it reopened. I was bothered by the fact that other folks were not wearing masks. I like being fit and healthy. If I were to contract COVID-19, I could become neither fit nor healthy....or I could die. None of which seems worth the risk of working out at the gym just yet.
TRUE..NJ KEEPS PUSHING BACK.

IroNat

• Getbig V
« Reply #1239 on: July 01, 2020, 10:01:59 AM »

I did a warm up with 135lbs and my shoulder screamed. Maybe I should have used the bar first and then the warm up weight. No problem though. Like I wrote I have alternatives that are just as good.

I do 10 reps just the bar.

Add two 25s and do 5 reps

Then the two 45s and do 1 rep.

Then go up from there in increments.

What I would do in your case, since you have the shoulder issue, is start with the empty bar and do 3x12 the first day.  That's all for the bench.

Then add 5 lbs each workout and keep doing 3x12.  Keep adding 5 lbs each workout.  This will give your connective tissues time to strengthen.

Right now, your muscles are way stronger than your connective tissues.

Say you bench twice a week, go up by only 5lbs each workout.

Day 1 - bar
2 - bar + 5
3 - bar + 10
4 - bar + 15
Etc.

In ten weeks you will be at bar + two 45s.

Always 3x8-12.
If you can't get 3x8-12 then stay at the same weight until you can.

No need to go lower reps at this stage of the game being old farts.

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #1240 on: July 01, 2020, 10:47:20 AM »
I think my shoulder is done having that tear to my supraspinatus. This happened December 2019 well past the date of a successful operation.  From previous tendon repair I know success goes down drastically after a week.  A fresh tear can be repaired and the tendon can actually grow back I to the bone.  A late term tendon repair is just tying the dying tendon or a cadaver tendon to an anchor bolt in the bone.  I wouldn’t want to lift with that type of repair. I can do declines, dips and pushups. Not a bad choice.  I can even do light inclines if I keep my elbows tight to my body. 

Really considering high reps with tight form. I just might be getting too old to push 6 to 8 reps. Maybe 12 to 20 is better.  I know that bodybuilder Momo that died from a heart attack after using diuretics used around 15 reps per set.  Also Kai Green uses in general three sets per exercise of 20, 15 and 12 reps.  I just got a booklet about Johnny Fuller.  He did many sets with over 30 reps.  I don’t care how many steroids he took it had to be light weights.

Sometimes I wonder about my sanity.  I always use over 315lbs for my deadlift sets and just watched a video of Jay Cutler training after retirement and his heaviest set for dead’s was 185lbs.  He still weighs over 250lbs. Maybe I’m tempting Faith. The body gets fragile with age. 

njflex

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • HEY PAISAN
« Reply #1241 on: July 01, 2020, 11:48:44 AM »
IM A HIGHER TYPE/SET REP AND TRAINING,,KEEPS ME LEAN/MUSCLE TIGHT.

IroNat

• Getbig V
« Reply #1242 on: July 01, 2020, 02:32:36 PM »
I think my shoulder is done having that tear to my supraspinatus. This happened December 2019 well past the date of a successful operation.  From previous tendon repair I know success goes down drastically after a week.  A fresh tear can be repaired and the tendon can actually grow back I to the bone.  A late term tendon repair is just tying the dying tendon or a cadaver tendon to an anchor bolt in the bone.  I wouldn’t want to lift with that type of repair. I can do declines, dips and pushups. Not a bad choice.  I can even do light inclines if I keep my elbows tight to my body. 

Really considering high reps with tight form. I just might be getting too old to push 6 to 8 reps. Maybe 12 to 20 is better.  I know that bodybuilder Momo that died from a heart attack after using diuretics used around 15 reps per set.  Also Kai Green uses in general three sets per exercise of 20, 15 and 12 reps.  I just got a booklet about Johnny Fuller.  He did many sets with over 30 reps.  I don’t care how many steroids he took it had to be light weights.

Sometimes I wonder about my sanity.  I always use over 315lbs for my deadlift sets and just watched a video of Jay Cutler training after retirement and his heaviest set for dead’s was 185lbs.  He still weighs over 250lbs. Maybe I’m tempting Faith. The body gets fragile with age. 

I know those weights I was quoting you sound ridiculous but doing it that way is just to give your connective tissues time to strengthen.

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #1243 on: July 01, 2020, 04:22:27 PM »
I know those weights I was quoting you sound ridiculous but doing it that way is just to give your connective tissues time to strengthen.

What you're saying makes sense but I think the barbell bench can only cause more wear and tear to to this vintage "car". Funny I can do some movements that involve the delts and pec tie in with little aggravation. Others feel like my body can't move that way anymore. I always give this advice for others with compromised aging bodies, Do what you can and fuck the rest. I should take that advice.

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #1244 on: July 01, 2020, 04:37:58 PM »
Trained delt and arms. I mentioned that single dumbbell curl movement previously.  Scroll up to see the picture or on the previous page. It keeps your hands with the narrow grip in the supinate position. Looks like nothing but I did two sets of 20 reps at the end of my bicep portion of the training day. The cramping and pump was fantastic. 

Trying to resist the cold beer in the fridge. It's screaming to me from the garage, "Drink me. I promise you will feel great in the morning. I won't make you smooth. You won't do something stupid like contact old girlfriends on facebook. You can trust me. I'm your friend. I promise you're a good dancer. Drink a couple and show your wife your dance moves while dancing on the kitchen table.  You're also good at yodeling. Your neighbors would really enjoy you yodeling the theme from Godfather in the back yard" 

Primemuscle

• Getbig V
« Reply #1245 on: July 01, 2020, 05:21:03 PM »
Trained delt and arms. I mentioned that single dumbbell curl movement previously.  Scroll up to see the picture or on the previous page. It keeps your hands with the narrow grip in the supinate position. Looks like nothing but I did two sets of 20 reps at the end of my bicep portion of the training day. The cramping and pump was fantastic. 

Trying to resist the cold beer in the fridge. It's screaming to me from the garage, "Drink me. I promise you will feel great in the morning. I won't make you smooth. You won't do something stupid like contact old girlfriends on facebook. You can trust me. I'm your friend. I promise you're a good dancer. Drink a couple and show your wife your dance moves while dancing on the kitchen table.  You're also good at yodeling. Your neighbors would really enjoy you yodeling the theme from Godfather in the back yard"

Wowie zowie, one cold beer really has a profound affect on you.  ;D

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #1246 on: July 01, 2020, 05:26:48 PM »
Yes, just one Prime.

Primemuscle

• Getbig V
« Reply #1247 on: July 01, 2020, 05:29:14 PM »
Yes, just one Prime.