Author Topic: bench - is powerlifting set up better or worse for..  (Read 1296 times)

wrestle@145

• Getbig II
  • Getbig!
bench - is powerlifting set up better or worse for..
« on: August 27, 2007, 01:09:37 AM »
hey guys,

when i bench i set up in a powerlifting manner, blades pinched together, slight arch, feet set apart, and pushing through the balls of my feet, my lbows are at about a thirty degree angle from my body when bar touches my chest. works great as far as numbers go, they went up like crazy. i notice that i feel it better in my chest if i flare my elbows a little more and relaxe my shoulders a bit. is it just my preference or have i been missing somethin? which would build a better LOOKING chest iyo?

tahnks a mill

BIG ACH

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
Re: bench - is powerlifting set up better or worse for..
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2007, 02:03:00 AM »

I don't really know much about powerlifting style of training to comment on that, but it seems like I keep seeing more and more studies that show that Flat Barbell Bench Press is NOT the best exercise for building the best LOOKING chest and that there are many other alternatives which can cause better development while at the same time preventing injuries.

Regardless of all of that, I still keep flat barbell bench press as a part of my regular chest routine, and I train both heavy (2-4 reps) as well as light (15-25 reps) on it.

Whats the rest of your chest work out look like?

thewickedtruth

• Getbig V
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2007, 06:20:17 AM »
I setup like a powerlifter on the bench to give me the best possible pressing position and power in the movement. Why WOULDN'T you want to do that? Plus, when properly setup, you run a much less risk of injury and your body can better support itself under heavier loads. I see ZERO down sides to a powerlifting type setup on the bench.

Mike

• Getbig IV
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2007, 06:23:40 AM »
I don't really know much about powerlifting style of training to comment on that, but it seems like I keep seeing more and more studies that show that Flat Barbell Bench Press is NOT the best exercise for building the best LOOKING chest and that there are many other alternatives which can cause better development while at the same time preventing injuries.

Regardless of all of that, I still keep flat barbell bench press as a part of my regular chest routine, and I train both heavy (2-4 reps) as well as light (15-25 reps) on it.

Whats the rest of your chest work out look like?

ACH is right, if you're trying to get size, BB Flat Bench may not be the best (def. not the safest) but as far as strength goes, you're on the right track.

If you want to focus on the chest muscle, stay away from the Powerlifting form, that usues too much glutes, triceps, shoulders, lats....

thewickedtruth

• Getbig V
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2007, 06:27:23 AM »
ACH is right, if you're trying to get size, BB Flat Bench may not be the best (def. not the safest) but as far as strength goes, you're on the right track.

If you want to focus on the chest muscle, stay away from the Powerlifting form, that usues too much glutes, triceps, shoulders, lats....

Didn't this type of discussion show up in the inner chest thread too? Tell me how benching, no matter HOW you do it, will take out your glutes,trcicps, back, shoulders, etc. IMPOSSIBLE! It even incorporates the biceps when it comes to helping stabilize the bar. Chest might be the MAIN focus but it's not the only thing working NOR is there a way to isolate the chest more in one form vs. another unless you go with grip width THEN maybe. Ach is right though, I do agree with you. The bench press shouldn't be your SOLE means of developing a big chest but, it's always going to come down to either a pressing movement or a flying movement and I can't think of a single flying exercise that would be better for building a strong, thick, powerful chest over ANY pressing movement.

pjs

• Getbig II
  • As I am
« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2007, 09:40:05 AM »
IMO, for a bodybuilder who has build a solid base, I'd say db work would be the cornerstone of all pressing.

That's AFTER building a solid base using basic lifts.

Mike

• Getbig IV
« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2007, 09:40:39 AM »
Didn't this type of discussion show up in the inner chest thread too? Tell me how benching, no matter HOW you do it, will take out your glutes,trcicps, back, shoulders, etc. IMPOSSIBLE! It even incorporates the biceps when it comes to helping stabilize the bar. Chest might be the MAIN focus but it's not the only thing working NOR is there a way to isolate the chest more in one form vs. another unless you go with grip width THEN maybe. Ach is right though, I do agree with you. The bench press shouldn't be your SOLE means of developing a big chest but, it's always going to come down to either a pressing movement or a flying movement and I can't think of a single flying exercise that would be better for building a strong, thick, powerful chest over ANY pressing movement.

I said that bench pressing USES all of those muscles, not takes them out...I don't know where you got that from.  

Ursus

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2007, 09:50:36 AM »
also by pinching your chest is pre stretched. gives u a better contraction. my chest is a problem area particularly as my tris shoulders are so proportionately strong

thewickedtruth

• Getbig V
« Reply #8 on: August 27, 2007, 09:51:50 AM »
I said that bench pressing USES all of those muscles, not takes them out...I don't know where you got that from.  

I must've read it wrong in haste..my bad bro.