Author Topic: Hindu prayer in the Senate draws protesters - Video  (Read 1865 times)

Straw Man

• Getbig V
  • one dwells in nirvana
Hindu prayer in the Senate draws protesters - Video
« on: July 12, 2007, 09:04:59 PM »
WASHINGTON (Reuters) -- Three protesters disrupted a prayer by a Hindu chaplain Thursday at the opening of a Senate hearing, calling it an abomination and shouting slogans about Jesus Christ.

It was the first time the daily prayer that opens Senate proceedings was said by a Hindu chaplain.

see video here

http://www.cnn.com/2007/POLITICS/07/12/prayer.protest.reut/index.html#cnnSTCVideo

Nordic Superman

• Getbig V
  • Hesitation doesn't come easily in this blood...
Re: Hindu prayer in the Senate draws protesters - Video
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2007, 05:35:57 AM »
All I have to say about this is the event is a joke.

In all seriousness look at the guy, totally in-appropriate.
الاسلام هو شيطانية

Straw Man

• Getbig V
  • one dwells in nirvana
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2007, 08:02:03 AM »
All I have to say about this is the event is a joke.

In all seriousness look at the guy, totally in-appropriate.

in all seriousness, there should not even be an opening "prayer" although it appears to be a perfunctory task for ceremonial purposes.   That aside, there is nothing wrong (in fact everything right) about it being performed by a Hindu.   We have freedom of religion is this country and citizens with many different faiths.   The only thing that I find disturbing is the idea that the Christians (I presume) who disrupted the prayer thought that their actions were appropriate and necessary.   Seems a little "crazy" to me. 

Nordic Superman

• Getbig V
  • Hesitation doesn't come easily in this blood...
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2007, 10:25:28 AM »
The only thing that I find disturbing is the idea that the Christians (I presume) who disrupted the prayer thought that their actions were appropriate and necessary.   Seems a little "crazy" to me. 

Yeah, I bet a lot of people were cringing
الاسلام هو شيطانية

ieffinhatecardio

• Getbig V
  • More proof God is a man.
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2007, 10:40:03 AM »
That video illustrates perfectly the thing that bothers me most about religious zealots (presumably Christian), their complete lack of tolerance for anything and anyone different than they are and their belief that their way is the only way.

Is it wrong of me to presume those were Senators disrupting that prayer? Is anyone else allowed in Senate Chambers besides Senators?

Straw Man

• Getbig V
  • one dwells in nirvana
« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2007, 11:11:09 AM »
That video illustrates perfectly the thing that bothers me most about religious zealots (presumably Christian), their complete lack of tolerance for anything and anyone different than they are and their belief that their way is the only way.

Is it wrong of me to presume those were Senators disrupting that prayer? Is anyone else allowed in Senate Chambers besides Senators?

Not Senators

These people were in the public gallery

headhuntersix

• Getbig V
  • Our forefathers would be shooting by now
« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2007, 11:25:27 AM »

Your joking right. Intolerance...maybe they whine or complain, maybe even protest but unlike real religious zealots, thats as far as it goes. This is what happens if ur gay in a muslim country.

L

ieffinhatecardio

• Getbig V
« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2007, 11:53:28 AM »
Not Senators

These people were in the public gallery

Thanks for the info. I wasn't aware of the public gallery.

Your joking right. Intolerance...maybe they whine or complain, maybe even protest but unlike real religious zealots, thats as far as it goes. This is what happens if ur gay in a muslim country.

Nope, not even close to joking. Are you honestly saying Christian zealots aren't intolerant?

Intolerance takes many forms, some of it is killing and attacking and some of it is whining, complaining and protesting.

Are you honestly saying that certain Christian zealots don't kill and or attack gays and other people they don't agree with? Do you really want me to start posting pictures and articles because you know I can.

I've even been within 100 feet of it when that wacko in Brookline walked into the Planned Parenthood office with a rifle and started killing people, and guess in whose name he did that.

BTW, all religious intolerance bothers me I was only referring the Christians in this instance because I presumed that's who was disrupting the prayer in the Senate Chambers.

I'm not flaming, you know I respect you and you're opinion even though I often disagree with it.

headhuntersix

• Getbig V
« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2007, 12:17:10 PM »
Ok I did forget about the abortion wackos'  ::). Let me rephrase, most christians as opposed to our Muslim brothers are very much more tolerant. Look man we "Christians" have'nt thrown on the big red cross and rode into the Holy land in along time. I don't really care about HIndu prayers...whatever. I support others right to pray but I would prefer to skip the prayer all together. Besides  guys like u and me have to worry about the Blue Jays and Papi's quad.  ;D
L

ToxicAvenger

• Getbig V
  • I thawt I taw a twat!
« Reply #9 on: July 13, 2007, 12:22:56 PM »
http://discovermagazine.com/2007/jul/science-and-islam

head..be a pal and read this article mate..

Islam is in many ways more tolerant of scientific study than is Christian fundamentalism. It does not, for example, argue that the world is only 6,000 years old. Cloning research that does not involve people is becoming more widely accepted. In recent times, though, knowledge in Egypt has waned. And who is accountable for the decline?
carpe` vaginum!

headhuntersix

• Getbig V
« Reply #10 on: July 13, 2007, 12:50:07 PM »
I read the first page...simple question...if they were the center of the scientific universe..what happened. If the Western world was less smart, how come we did not fall to the Muslims during the invasions. How was Spain able to finally defeat the Moors etc. In nay evert they are not the center now, and if they were maybe they could help their own people and not blame the West for their problems.
L

headhuntersix

• Getbig V
« Reply #11 on: July 13, 2007, 12:51:41 PM »
never mind...pretty interesting regardless.
L

headhuntersix

• Getbig V
« Reply #12 on: July 13, 2007, 12:52:51 PM »
Bring me back some sweets :D
L

ToxicAvenger

• Getbig V
  • I thawt I taw a twat!
« Reply #13 on: July 13, 2007, 01:01:10 PM »
I read the first page...simple question...if they were the center of the scientific universe..what happened. If the Western world was less smart, how come we did not fall to the Muslims during the invasions. How was Spain able to finally defeat the Moors etc. In nay evert they are not the center now, and if they were maybe they could help their own people and not blame the West for their problems.

that wasn't the point of me having you read it..later pages talk to and about other muslim scientists that ARE NOT as the idiot on page 1..

since my parents r muslim and you only get to look at muslims thru 1 lense i merely offered another one...

He is also candid, calling suicide bombers “social rejects” and questioning the validity of those who would take the Muslim world back to the times of the Prophet Muhammad. “Are we talking Islam or Islamism?” he asks, pointing out the difference between the religion and those extremists who use the religion to advance their own agendas. “The danger [posed by Islamists] is not only to Christians but also to Islam itself. The real problem is not the Arab-Israel issue but the rise of Islamism.”

Science, rather than religion, is the way to ensure a country’s future, Prince Hassan believes, and he has made supporting scientific achievement a personal mission for almost 40 years. He envisions projects that would promote regional partnerships, including with Israel—an idea that, despite official peace between the countries, remains controversial.

He notes that some important science initiatives are under way. One of the Royal Scientific Society’s pursuits is the Trans-Mediterranean Renewable Energy Cooperation, or TREC, a multinational effort that would use wind, water, geothermal, and solar resources to provide renewable energy from Oman to Iceland. If successful, the endeavor would take decades to be realized. Like Moses standing on Mount Nebo (in fact, the site of the Exodus story lies just about 20 minutes outside Amman), the 60-year-old Hassan knows that he is not likely to see this technological promised land himself.

Islam was open, a strong belief with dialogue. It was tolerant. Then we shifted to being dogmatic.“Vision,” he says, “is not an individual thing. It’s a collaboration.”

He blames a tradition that began with the Ottomans in the 1500s: lowering educational standards and promoting dogma. “We were open. Islam was open, a strong belief with dialogue. It was tolerant, mixing with other civilizations. Then we shifted to being dogmatic. Once you’re dogmatic, you are boxed in,” he says. “If you step outside the box, you’re marginalized—and then you’re out. So you go west.”

anyhow...at least ya read some of it  :)
carpe` vaginum!

headhuntersix

• Getbig V
« Reply #14 on: July 13, 2007, 01:03:46 PM »
Nope i finished it....very good. Tunisia looks pretty good. Jordan is kinda stuck with Iraqand then Israel. I'm sure they would love for the damm Palistinians to go away.
L

ToxicAvenger

• Getbig V
  • I thawt I taw a twat!
« Reply #15 on: July 13, 2007, 01:07:08 PM »
Nope i finished it....very good. Tunisia looks pretty good. Jordan is kinda stuck with Iraqand then Israel. I'm sure they would love for the damm Palistinians to go away.

they r stuck to the palistanians like we r stuck with afghanis in paki..

ps ya like paki sweets?  shudder..wayyyyyyy overly sweetned...
carpe` vaginum!

ieffinhatecardio

• Getbig V
« Reply #16 on: July 13, 2007, 01:23:16 PM »
Besides  guys like u and me have to worry about the Blue Jays and Papi's quad.  ;D

And Schilling and Manny and Lugo and Drew and whether or not Tom is going to marry that hot piece of ass Brazilian that he's banging and how his new child is going to affect his play while not married to the mother and whether or not Moss is going to implode and screw up what on paper at least is the best team in the NFL and if that absolute physical freak of nature Ben Watson lives up to his otherworldly potential. 

And I can't wait to see how Maroney handles being the number 1 guy in the backfield.

This is going to be one hell of a summer and fall.

headhuntersix

• Getbig V
« Reply #17 on: July 13, 2007, 05:00:01 PM »
One meltdown at a time...I have 2 weeks before I have to bring all my Pats pain to the forefront. PATS/SOX 07
L

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
  • I am. The most interesting man in the world. (Not)
« Reply #18 on: July 14, 2007, 08:10:08 PM »
WASHINGTON (Reuters) -- Three protesters disrupted a prayer by a Hindu chaplain Thursday at the opening of a Senate hearing, calling it an abomination and shouting slogans about Jesus Christ.

It was the first time the daily prayer that opens Senate proceedings was said by a Hindu chaplain.

see video here

http://www.cnn.com/2007/POLITICS/07/12/prayer.protest.reut/index.html#cnnSTCVideo

Three protesters?  Stop the presses. 

Straw Man

• Getbig V
  • one dwells in nirvana
« Reply #19 on: July 14, 2007, 08:21:41 PM »
Three protesters?  Stop the presses. 

yes 3

what's your point?

the number of protestors is least relevent part about this story

what's your feeling on their ACTIONS and/or their MOTIVATION

do you think it was appropriate or justifiable?

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
  • I am. The most interesting man in the world. (Not)
« Reply #20 on: July 14, 2007, 08:25:46 PM »
yes 3

what's your point?

the number of protestors is least relevent part about this story

what's your feeling on their ACTIONS and/or their MOTIVATION

do you think it was appropriate or justifiable?

My point is this isn't news and shouldn't have been one of CNN's top stories.  Who cares if three knuckleheads disrupted a prayer? 

It was obviously a dumb act.

Straw Man

• Getbig V
  • one dwells in nirvana
« Reply #21 on: July 14, 2007, 08:49:48 PM »
My point is this isn't news and shouldn't have been one of CNN's top stories.  Who cares if three knuckleheads disrupted a prayer? 

It was obviously a dumb act.

I say it's totally newsworthy, especially given the standards of the day.