Author Topic: "bodybuilding routines" are bullshit  (Read 15074 times)

body88

Re: "bodybuilding routines" are bullshit
« Reply #25 on: May 28, 2008, 08:22:39 AM »
umm...trying to get stronger is better than endless pumping.  + rate of growth will decline the closer you get to your genetic maximum (thats normal)

and it DOES apply forever. progressively heavier tension is the main thing that triggers muscle growth.

I never said to do endless pumping. You can accomplish exactly what you are pushing using about 70 percent of your 1rm with different methods than loading up the bar every time you work out. Supersets is one of the may ways to do it. You can grow a million different ways, and a smart trainer uses all methods.

For example, your pec muscle has no idea that it's benching 300 lbs. It knows that it needs to increase in size to move that weight for a certain amount of reps. If you can only get 4 reps with 300 lb's and you attempt to get 4 reps with 305 lbs the next week, thats when injuries occur. At an advanced stage, you are not going to put on muscle quickly. I could bench my 300 one week, and then work with dumbells for 5 sets of 12 hard reps (with great form) the next week. The week after that, I bench my 300 with a slight incline and go for a few more reps, then I follow that up the next week on a hammer strength machine doing drop sets till failure. It's all about shocking the muscles, and increasing weight is one of the MANY ways to do it. You can stress your muscles in many different ways, and they will have no idea about what kind of weight you are using, just that they needs to grow to accompany whatever stress you have put on it to make it fail.

I have seen skinny geeks with massive calves - ( better than a lot of bb's) who sit on the stair climber for two hours a day. They dont increase their weight every week, and if they did their calves would not grow and grow until they where 21 inches. Ob i'm not saying you should work with light weight all day long, but your method is far from the only way to train.

njflex

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • HEY PAISAN
« Reply #26 on: May 28, 2008, 08:25:31 AM »
Joints and tendons can only take so much either on a once or twice hit per wk on a body part.i find a 4 day routine best and some pros labrada and take out that he used anabolics,swore by pre and post contest offseason a 4 day as such,trained mon,wed,fri,sun,,some say 3 day is optimal.everybody's genetic strength,recuperation,duration,response,is going to be different anyway,find a routine and follow it till it gets stale then tweak it but nothing drastic,cause as most responses already said injuries can occur and burnout.

rccs

• Getbig IV
  • Alma Matter!
« Reply #27 on: May 28, 2008, 08:41:55 AM »
the usual 4 or 5 splits are bullshit for natural athletes. they are a very inefficient way to train. drug users can get away with such routines where you hit every bodypart directly once a week. but a natural shouldnt use those routines. a natural should NEVER bodybuild. as a natural you should only do powerbuilding  routines that focus on a few key exercices and where the main focus is getting stronger in those basic exercises.

as a natural every body part should be hit directly 2 times per week (3 timer per week as a newbie or if your a HST sissy) or every fifth day.

upper/lower split 3-4 days a week is close to optimal for most people. and in reality you very rarely need more than 2 exercises for a bodypart in the same session. often one exercise per body part will do the job...except maybe for back were you need a rowing exercise combined with a chin or pulldown exercise. sets per body part should be 3-7 or so (in general). even less if you use extreme intensity techniques such as rest pause (DC training). 

You are contradicting yourself... natural bbers should work a muscle group only once a week, otherwise you will be failing in have a goog recovery. But I give you credit in the heavy movements. One heavy exercise, one moderate exercise and for the last exercise a light superset  or 2 high reps sets (creating a good pump is very good to stimulate growth). Do not workout for more than 60 min.
S

body88

« Reply #28 on: May 28, 2008, 08:46:05 AM »
taking your bench from 315 to 405 will take a long ass time.you'll probably be out of bodybuilding before you can even imagine what 405 feels like on a bar.  when you hit 405 you wont jump up 10 pounds for the next workout. maybee just an increase in reps or a pound or two. just enough to force the muscle to grow.

in my experiance it doesnt matter what your routine is or the weights your using because its relative. only thing that matters is that your increasing in weight or reps from the previous workout.

I know what you are saying, but you can shock your muscle while not increasing your weight all the time. Of course you are going to increase your weight, but not in the way slave is talking about.

For me, it has always been about shocking the muscle. I am at a point right, now where the gains are slow to come. I have been training for well over ten years, and if I want to take it to the next level, I would need to use drugs. Thats not my thing, so I am happy where I'm at. That said, I am all about shocking my muscles. If you constantly change your exercises, and rep ranges, you can shock your muscles into growth using about 70% of your 1rm.

I go for the variety with moderate weight, over the same thing over and over while increasing weight. I lifted heavy (pushing myself) for a long time. FOr me working 60 hours a week, and training that way led to injuries and fatigue.

Van_Bilderass

• Getbig V
  • "Don't Try"
« Reply #29 on: May 28, 2008, 08:51:38 AM »
You are contradicting yourself... natural bbers should work a muscle group only once a week, otherwise you will be failing in have a goog recovery.

It doesn't take a week to recover. After 72 hours the increase in protein synthesis of a worked muscle has already dropped to baseline. More frequent = better - within reason.

SAMSON123

• Getbig V
« Reply #30 on: May 28, 2008, 09:06:20 AM »
the usual 4 or 5 splits are bullshit for natural athletes. they are a very inefficient way to train. drug users can get away with such routines where you hit every bodypart directly once a week. but a natural shouldnt use those routines. a natural should NEVER bodybuild. as a natural you should only do powerbuilding  routines that focus on a few key exercices and where the main focus is getting stronger in those basic exercises.

as a natural every body part should be hit directly 2 times per week (3 timer per week as a newbie or if your a HST sissy) or every fifth day.

upper/lower split 3-4 days a week is close to optimal for most people. and in reality you very rarely need more than 2 exercises for a bodypart in the same session. often one exercise per body part will do the job...except maybe for back were you need a rowing exercise combined with a chin or pulldown exercise. sets per body part should be 3-7 or so (in general). even less if you use extreme intensity techniques such as rest pause (DC training). 

This type pf advice will lead to IMMEDIATE OVERTRAINING, TENDONITIS, INJURIES and more importantly NO GROWTH. Even as a NEWBIE a persons body has to have time to rest and grow and recover from the last workout. Working a muscle group twice to three times per week is MORONIC at the very least. A new person and even a seasoned person will end up OVERTRAINED and once that occurs INJURIES are right around the corner. I remember when I started working out I followed a similar protocol and within six months had cases of tendonitis in both elbows and shoulders and was constantly injuring myself due to a lack of recovery.

A nice routine is working every muscle once per week with a good solid routine that covers the major muscles and initiates the minor ones. And as experience and training develops mixing in some power movements and routines to build the large muscle groups: Quads, Hams, Back, Chest and then focusing on the smaller muscle groups to make sure balance is retained : Biceps, Triceps, shoulders, Traps, Calfs etc etc.

C

Van_Bilderass

• Getbig V
  • "Don't Try"
« Reply #31 on: May 28, 2008, 09:08:55 AM »
This type pf advice will lead to IMMEDIATE OVERTRAINING, TENDONITIS, INJURIES and more importantly NO GROWTH. Even as a NEWBIE a persons body has to have time to rest and grow and recover from the last workout. Working a muscle group twice to three times per week is MORONIC at the very least. A new person and even a seasoned person will end up OVERTRAINED and once that occurs INJURIES are right around the corner. I remember when I started working out I followed a similar protocol and within six months had cases of tendonitis in both elbows and shoulders and was constantly injuring myself due to a lack of recovery.

A nice routine is working every muscle once per week with a good solid routine that covers the major muscles and initiates the minor ones. And as experience and training develops mixing in some power movements and routines to build the large muscle groups: Quads, Hams, Back, Chest and then focusing on the smaller muscle groups to make sure balance is retained : Biceps, Triceps, shoulders, Traps, Calfs etc etc.

I guess this is why Steve Reeves was so puny. He was overtrained on his whole body, three times a week routines.

240 is Back

• Getbig V
  • Complete website for only $300- www.300website.com
« Reply #32 on: May 28, 2008, 09:21:55 AM »
I've always used freeweights, very little machines or cables.  I joined a gym with a lot of machines, and I've noticed muscles popping in new places like shoulders.  They only had one cable rack in my old gym and it was always busy.

Bruffy

• Getbig II
  • If it's not metal, it's crap!
« Reply #33 on: May 28, 2008, 09:23:53 AM »
As time goes by, your body adapts to the weight you lift.  Sooner or later your poundages and results will become stagnant.  Hence the invention of supersets to shock any bodypart.  Used wisely, supersets will get you past any plateaus.  Just my .02 cents.  Now cue in all the experts...........
I

medz zeppelin

• Getbig IV
  • go west young man.......break bread in the new lan
« Reply #34 on: May 28, 2008, 09:28:39 AM »
take your bench and increase it from 225 to 315. tell me your chest/shoulders/ and tri wont grow

go to the gym and pump your chest full of blood. when you jerk off or fuck your pumping your dick full of blood. if the 'pump' caused growth 90% of getbig would have 3 foot long dicks with a 20'' girth.
are you saying your dick is muscle?

kh300

• Getbig V
« Reply #35 on: May 28, 2008, 09:40:45 AM »
are you saying your dick is muscle?

ok bad example. i can run 5 miles. my legs will be so full of blood i cant walk. does that mean my legs will grow?

rccs

• Getbig IV
  • Alma Matter!
« Reply #36 on: May 28, 2008, 09:51:59 AM »
I guess this is why Steve Reeves was so puny. He was overtrained on his whole body, three times a week routines.
Steves was not natural... so out of reason...
S

candidizzle

• Getbig V
  • Trueprotein.com 5% discount code= TRB953
« Reply #37 on: May 28, 2008, 10:47:37 AM »
did you read vans earlier post ? you only grow the first 72 hours after lifting. (as a natural). so giving your body anymore time than 3 days in between workouts is pointless... your not growing after day 3..

rccs

• Getbig IV
  • Alma Matter!
« Reply #38 on: May 28, 2008, 11:08:26 AM »
did you read vans earlier post ? you only grow the first 72 hours after lifting. (as a natural). so giving your body anymore time than 3 days in between workouts is pointless... your not growing after day 3..

Unless you train like a girl, your muscle soreness doesn't allow you to hit it 2x a week let alone 3x a week. I train hard and I can say that I need 5 days to recover... In my powerlifting/bbing routines I separate the muscle groups to a minimum of 4 days, to hit them once again!
S

candidizzle

• Getbig V
  • Trueprotein.com 5% discount code= TRB953
« Reply #39 on: May 28, 2008, 11:11:03 AM »
Unless you train like a girl, your muscle soreness doesn't allow you to hit it 2x a week let alone 3x a week. I train hard and I can say that I need 5 days to recover... In my powerlifting/bbing routines I separate the muscle groups to a minimum of 4 days, to hit them once again!
take some advil pussy  ;D

lol   no i know what your saying though

probably an h.i.t style of workout would be best for the natural body builder..... h.i.t. full body every three days... high fat ciet (ckd ala pasquale)....  probably best way to go for the quote unquote natural..

Van_Bilderass

• Getbig V
  • "Don't Try"
« Reply #40 on: May 28, 2008, 12:29:59 PM »

Are you familiar with Sheiko powerlifting routines?

If you train say squats 3 days per week your body is going to adapt and you're not going to get sore anymore. Besides, soreness doesn't mean you can't hit a bodypart again.

Personally I've recently hit PRs in the deadlift by doing squats and deadlifts, or another lower back exercise like good mornings, 3 days per week. I'm not natural but I've seen high frequency routines work very well for natural elite powerlifters.

JOCKTHEGLIDE

• Getbig IV
« Reply #41 on: May 28, 2008, 12:39:20 PM »
Before I believe you, I want to see some credentials  >:(
he is 6'6"
280lbs
6% BF
24inch biceps...
his pictures in the picture area just another typical getbigger like all of us.

Ursus

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #42 on: May 28, 2008, 12:51:16 PM »

I agree to a point. Naturals can hit a bodypart 2x a week provided they train smart. I done the full body twice in a week and made the best gains of my life last summer.

SAMSON123

• Getbig V
« Reply #43 on: May 28, 2008, 12:59:45 PM »
Are you familiar with Sheiko powerlifting routines?
YOU MEAN THE ROUTINE THAT HAS YOU JERKING OFF ALL DAY....

If you train say squats 3 days per week your body is going to adapt and you're not going to get sore anymore. Besides, soreness doesn't mean you can't hit a bodypart again.

ADAPT???? HERE IS HOW A PERSON'S BODY ADAPTS TO EXCESSIVE TRAINING...YOU TEAR THE MUSCLE AND YOU ARE NO LONGER ABLE TO TRAIN THEREBY GIVING YOU BODY THE REST IT NEEDS...

Personally I've recently hit PRs in the deadlift by doing squats and deadlifts, or another lower back exercise like good mornings, 3 days per week. I'm not natural but I've seen high frequency routines work very well for natural elite powerlifters.

KEY WORDS HERE ARE...I AM NOT NATURAL!!!!...HELLO STUPID ARE YOU FRIENDS WITH CANDYASS CANDIZZLE? YOU ARE JUICING AND TELLING NON-JUICERS THEY CAN  WORK OUT EXCESSIVELY AND IT IS OK. KEEP IN MIND JUICERS HAVE THEIR DAY...THEY SHRIVEL UP AND DIE SKINNY...
C

pumpster

• Getbig V
  • If you're reading this you have too much free time
« Reply #44 on: May 28, 2008, 01:05:05 PM »
take your bench and increase it from 225 to 315. tell me your chest/shoulders/ and tri wont grow

Nah, if that theory about obsessing on heavy compounds was true guys like Columbu would've had great arms.

pumpster

• Getbig V
« Reply #45 on: May 28, 2008, 01:07:08 PM »
It doesn't take a week to recover. After 72 hours the increase in protein synthesis of a worked muscle has already dropped to baseline. More frequent = better - within reason.

Agreed, the less is more theory that's in vogue now sounds cute but the truth is most top BBs used twice a week, or more. The whole idea that the body can't take more is unproven, is a convenient way of avoiding more work.

pumpster

• Getbig V
« Reply #46 on: May 28, 2008, 01:07:47 PM »
Joints and tendons can only take so much either on a once or twice hit per wk on a body part.

Entirely depends on the exercises, amount of weight used, the type of training.

pumpster

• Getbig V
« Reply #47 on: May 28, 2008, 01:09:13 PM »

Spoken out of ass, since there's no confirmation either way.

Meso_z

• Getbig V
« Reply #48 on: May 28, 2008, 01:14:43 PM »
pure bullshit right there...

thewickedtruth

• Getbig V
« Reply #49 on: May 28, 2008, 01:18:39 PM »

i would tend to agree!