Author Topic: Pain in elbow  (Read 14892 times)

kevthekid

• Getbig III
Pain in elbow
« on: January 11, 2017, 10:05:57 PM »
Been experiencing a lot of pain in my elbow when I lift during exercises such as overhead dumbbell tricep extensions etc. what can I do to help heal this?

ratherbebig

• Getbig V
  • if you got more than 10k you're gay
Re: Pain in elbow
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2017, 04:46:47 AM »
for starters you can skip overhead dumbbell tricep extensions

kevthekid

• Getbig III
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2017, 05:45:30 AM »
for starters you can skip overhead dumbbell tricep extensions

Well I do...test it out every few days to see if the elbow is improving but it's still in pain

Erik C

• Getbig IV
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2017, 09:02:37 AM »
Too much weight. Too many reps. Not enough rest time. Reverse grip. Lots of things can cause elbow pain on overhead dumbbell triceps extensions.

ratherbebig

• Getbig V
  • if you got more than 10k you're gay
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2017, 02:10:24 PM »
ive got some elbow problems myself, but not because of triceps exercises.
still i dont do any right now, i can do presses for chest and shoulders without pain and that involves triceps, so im happy with that for the moment.

jpm101

• Getbig IV
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2017, 09:24:41 AM »
Just one elbow?  

Could be many things. A pinched nerve (semi blocked nerve passage) comes to mind. Over extension/stretch of the joint/muscle or even the hand placement or grip on the DB. Actually changing a grip can have much to do with relieving discomfort in most any exercise..

Some men have used a heating element (lotion, cream, heating wrap, etc) on a selected problem area. Keeping the ligaments, tendons and muscles warm and with a better blood supply. Bottom line, keep any body part warm for any potential problem.

Taking 2 to 3 full weeks away from DB triceps extensions might be a suggestion. Testing the elbows every few days may be self defeating.   And actually compound the problem.

Good Luck.

(I've personally seen 215lb plus standing French triceps curls...BB/EZ bar,full range movement. Also seen 360 plus Skull Crushers....skull crushers are a partial rep movement.  Have heard, but not seen, higher weight used in both exercises.  Just to note, those two type triceps exercise are not meant for everyone. If suspecting future joint problems than may want to select different style triceps movements. Dips, with elbows close to the sides and keeping the body as upright as you can (don't lean forward)..can be one of  the better triceps movements..add weight after a while)
F

heenok

• Getbig IV
« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2017, 02:10:04 AM »
Overhead dumbell extention are one of the worst for the elbow joints.
I pretty much always use cable to do them now. Its a guaranteed elbow destroyer overtime.

kevcat

• Getbig IV
« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2017, 05:16:36 AM »
Just don't do exercises that hurt . Its really that simple, as much as we all love certain exercises, some just need to be dropped.

Theres plenty I leave out now cos of injuries, but theres always alternatives. Honestly your body doesn't know the difference between a BB bench press and a machine press, for example. Just train the muscle hard to failure and the results will follow.

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2018, 04:36:00 PM »
Just don't do exercises that hurt . Its really that simple, as much as we all love certain exercises, some just need to be dropped.

Theres plenty I leave out now cos of injuries, but theres always alternatives. Honestly your body doesn't know the difference between a BB bench press and a machine press, for example. Just train the muscle hard to failure and the results will follow.

This. If a movement hurts your elbow then drop it and never look back. I can do dips, narrow grip but I can't do skull crushers or one hand dumbbells tricep extensions.

Montague

• Getbig V
  • The black degelation does not know this nig - V.G.
« Reply #9 on: March 14, 2018, 05:48:18 PM »
Something that helped me resolve my elbow pain while still training was lowering the weight slower and behind the head. Using a slower, more controlled negative seemed to eliminate the stretch reflex at the bottom starting position. That “bounce” is considered by some knowledgable trainers to have a traumatic effect on the condylar tendons.

As for lowering to a position behind the head, I’ve never read/heard - nor can I think of - any reason(s) that technique would eliminate pain. Maybe it doesn’t, and is only an irrelevant, coincidental change I made.

Regardless, I’m not suggesting these changes will help anyone else; they are merely two tactics I used with great success in combating my own elbow issues.

Consequently, I’m able to once again perform any variety of tricep extension or pressing with rare problem.

Agnostic007

• Getbig V
« Reply #10 on: March 23, 2018, 06:08:08 PM »
dips caused my left elbow pain. Tried advil, which helped a bit but every time I did dips my elbow would flair up. Stopped dips, haven't had the pain since. you can always find another movement that doesn't hurt and accomplishes the same thing 

Sexybeast777

• Getbig IV
« Reply #11 on: March 23, 2018, 09:18:27 PM »
just take 3-4 weeks off, the pain goes away, trust me. Get plenty of rest (9-12 hrs of sleep, not that 8 hr bs) and drink plenty of water (constantly drinking water)

Montague

• Getbig V
  • The black degelation does not know this nig - V.G.
« Reply #12 on: March 24, 2018, 05:47:27 AM »
dips caused my left elbow pain. Tried advil, which helped a bit but every time I did dips my elbow would flair up. Stopped dips, haven't had the pain since. you can always find another movement that doesn't hurt and accomplishes the same thing 

I think that, from a biomechanics standpoint, some people simply aren't "built" for certain movements.

I know lots of strong and disciplined lifters who either go light on, or have to avoid certain exercises all together because they bother them/hurt. 

Sexybeast777

• Getbig IV
« Reply #13 on: March 24, 2018, 06:39:27 AM »

I think that, from a biomechanics standpoint, some people simply aren't "built" for certain movements.

I know lots of strong and disciplined lifters who either go light on, or have to avoid certain exercises all together because they bother them/hurt. 
Dips never hurt my elbows, is this normal? (in all fairness, I only train 3 times a week. I think most people with elbow pain and such joint aches, it's because they overtrain)

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #14 on: March 25, 2018, 08:22:38 PM »
Two things that kill my elbow are single arm standing dumbbell extensions. The other is skull crushers. Exercises that don't bother my elbow are dips, two hand single dumbbell tricep extensions behind the head, reverse grip D ring handle extensions and push downs after a warm up. Haven't done close grips presses in a long time but I have a feeling they won't aggravate my elbow.

Sexybeast777

• Getbig IV
« Reply #15 on: March 26, 2018, 10:49:50 AM »
time and time again I've said it, but people don't pay attention, joint pain is a sign of overtraining, and possibly not warming up properly. Sleep your 9-12 hrs (none of that 8 hr bs) and train 3 times a week, at the most 4, if you are  a natty. if you are on the juice, yeah you can train 6 times a week

funk51

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #16 on: March 31, 2018, 04:39:27 PM »
give these a try.
F

Jona

• Getbig II
« Reply #17 on: April 06, 2018, 03:44:00 PM »
OH DB exercises always give me issues so I just stay away from them. No other exercises give me problems so i think sometimes just have to work around what you've got