Author Topic: Next Gen Console Fail-Games 100 dollars-Xbox One-500 Dollars-PS4 even more $  (Read 36492 times)

King Shizzo

• Getbig V
  • Ron crowned me King because I always deliver.
How awesome is the opening 15 minutes! (And how sad  :'( )
Sad, but refreshing. Life is horrible at times.

Earl1972

• Getbig V
  • #EarlToo
I can in no way take your opinion on gaming seriously now.

Thanks for playing. No need to ever talk gaming again.

ok you keep dwelling on the past, i'll live in the now

funny coming from you especially since you help develop games today, basically you admit you can't make games as "good as they used to be" haha

E
E

GigantorX

• Getbig V
  • GetBig's A-Team is the Light of Truth!
bwahahahaha!!

Surely you jest.

They are prettier. They are not better.

Most of the highest rated games are on the DS platform. They are not the best looking. They are often the best.

Define 'better' and the time period we're talking about here.

tu_holmes

• Getbig V
  • Robot
ok you keep dwelling on the past, i'll live in the now

funny coming from you especially since you help develop games today, basically you admit you can't make games as "good as they used to be" haha

E
Hardly.

I'm saying that on average games are not as fun as they were years ago.

Are there exceptions? Yes. And I have been fortunate to be involved in many of them. I have also been involved in some stinkers as well.

It takes more than just one person to make a game. There are hundred and sometimes thousands of people involved.

So a producer can easily destroy a great concept with ineptitude. He can also make something that would be poor into something great.

One person can definitely make or break a game in certain places.

Earl1972

• Getbig V
  • #EarlToo
Hardly.

Are there exceptions? Yes. And I have been fortunate to be involved in many of them. I have also been involved in some stinkers as well.

It takes more than just one person to make a game. There are hundred and sometimes thousands of people involved.

So a producer can easily destroy a great concept with ineptitude. He can also make something that would be poor into something great.

you had more fun with those older games because you were younger and more easily amused and impressed

if you played most of those games for the first time today you probably wouldn't enjoy them as much

my favorite game of all time is resident evil but i'll be the first to admit it is very dated at this point

E
E

GigantorX

• Getbig V
  • GetBig's A-Team is the Light of Truth!
Hardly.

If we are talking NES/SMS-era I'm a bit torn. The "classics" from those systems are classics for a reason, no doubt. But a TON of the software that was released was pretty bad.

Also, game design back then was hampered by tech limitations. A lot of games (platformers/shooters especially) were filled with cheapness, grinding etc. to extend play-times and such. 

Bad developers used that crap to extend their game and make it more "challenging," good developers would be able to craft a game within the tech limitations that was challenging but not rage quit frustrating.

Grape Ape

• Getbig V
  • SC è un asino
you had more fun with those older games because you were younger and more easily amused and impressed

if you played most of those games for the first time today you probably wouldn't enjoy them as much

my favorite game of all time is resident evil but i'll be the first to admit it is very dated at this point

E

I think the point is, even though dated, there have been few games that matched scenes like the Dog Scene in the original RE.  The whole mood, game play (even though a bit clunky) and overall experience of games like RE were amazing.

And, to be honest, I'm not on either side of this.   I've liked many games from each generation.
Y

tu_holmes

• Getbig V
  • Robot

E

That's odd... Considering how my 11 year old son who is just recently playing games like Zelda and Super Mario Bros. 2 and 3 is absolutely in love with them.

Double Dragon is also one of his favorites... So I will disagree that it's my "nostalgia".

Since when does the "look" of a game and how it's "dated" mean that it's not fun?

If we are talking NES/SMS-era I'm a bit torn. The "classics" from those systems are classics for a reason, no doubt. But a TON of the software that was released was pretty bad.

Also, game design back then was hampered by tech limitations. A lot of games (platformers/shooters especially) were filled with cheapness, grinding etc. to extend play-times and such.  

Bad developers used that crap to extend their game and make it more "challenging," good developers would be able to craft a game within the tech limitations that was challenging but not rage quit frustrating.

Bad games are universal... When the game sucks, no one cares what year it was... The reality was just that it was not fun to play.

Fun factor is the ultimate test of a game.

I think the point is, even though dated, there have been few games that matched scenes like the Dog Scene in the original RE.  The whole mood, game play (even though a bit clunky) and overall experience of games like RE were amazing.

And, to be honest, I'm not on either side of this.   I've liked many games from each generation.

I've liked many games from each gen also... One of my top 5 games of all time was on the Dreamcast for goodness' sake!

As I said above... Fun is what it's about. Just because it looks good doesn't mean shit to me. If it's fun, it's fun. Looks be damned.

Fuck, Tetris hasn't changed much in the past 30 years, but it's still one of the most fun games to play.

Grape Ape

• Getbig V
  • SC è un asino

Fuck, Tetris hasn't changed much in the past 30 years, but it's still one of the most fun games to play.

There was a game on the Atari 400 called Archon.  It was a chess board, and when you or you opponent met on a square, you fought.  Each had different abilities, so there was strategy when you picked a fight, who you sacrificed, and who you thought you could steal a victory from with a lesser opponent.  It was simple, but to this day, is an absolute blast if you have a friend who like the game too.
Y

tu_holmes

• Getbig V
  • Robot
There was a game on the Atari 400 called Archon.  It was a chess board, and when you or you opponent met on a square, you fought.  Each had different abilities, so there was strategy when you picked a fight, who you sacrificed, and who you thought you could steal a victory from with a lesser opponent.  It was simple, but to this day, is an absolute blast if you have a friend who like the game too.

Reminds me slightly of BattleChess.... There's a remake I would like to see done. I would absolutely LOVE to see that.

I would also love to see a remake of the "Crusader" series... They were amazing.

Henda

• Getbig V
Wonderboy 3 the dragons trap is still my all time fav game.
Still play through it every so often.

Nicademus

• Time Out
  • Getbig IV
Looks like Microsoft changed their DRM policy.  Good move. http://kotaku.com/microsoft-is-removing-xbox-one-drm-514390310

King Shizzo

• Getbig V
Games like Double Dragon, Super Mario Bros 3, and Castlevania, will stand the test of time.

King Shizzo

• Getbig V
The original RE series: the best tank simulator games on the market.
Really? Resident Evil, is my favorite franchise of all time. 5 was decent, 6 was bad.

Papper

• Getbig V
  • Father, forgive them; for they know not what they do.
I'm getting a Wii just to play Mario Galaxy 1 and 2 I have decided.

Can't go wrong, I loved every flagship Mario Game so far.

Seems like if you don't really love shoot em ups or sports games you shouldn't buy ps or xbox...?

King Shizzo

• Getbig V
I'm getting a Wii just to play Mario Galaxy 1 and 2 I have decided.

Can't go wrong, I loved every flagship Mario Game so far.

Seems like if you don't really love shoot em ups or sports games you shouldn't buy ps or xbox...?
U gay?

Papper

• Getbig V
  • Father, forgive them; for they know not what they do.

King Shizzo

• Getbig V
Only if I want to be
x2. Mario games are never gay.

BIG ACH

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
As great as it is - fucking far cry 3 is way too stressful!  Here I am in the middle of a fire fight, suddenly a tiger jumps in and kills the pirates, giving me enough time to steal a car and drive away.... then I jump in the water and I'm literally two inches away from freedom when out of nowhere a fucking gator gets me, scared the shit out of me!!!!!!!!

cephissus

• Getbig V

care to offer concrete examples?  the "cheapness", in other words, genuine challenge, is the main area in which modern games, on the whole, have definitely regressed.  not to mention grinding, lol.  that shit is about a million times more pervasive in modern games.

most people these days consider arcade games cheap "quarter suckers"... games which had practically 0 filler, 0 bullshit, and were far more "fair".

polychronopolous

• Getbig V
As great as it is - fucking far cry 3 is way too stressful!  Here I am in the middle of a fire fight, suddenly a tiger jumps in and kills the pirates, giving me enough time to steal a car and drive away.... then I jump in the water and I'm literally two inches away from freedom when out of nowhere a fucking gator gets me, scared the shit out of me!!!!!!!!

:D

TommyBoy

• Getbig IV
  • What's the vector, Victor?
MS pretty much admitted how ridiculous the DRM and the online requirement is. They aren't doing it now.

Still has a 500$ price tag and mandatory Kinect though. Either way, big win for gamers.

BIG ACH

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  :D

Love that game - but its not a game I play to relax!  My hands were literally shaking lol

Earl1972

• Getbig V
  • #EarlToo
That's odd... Considering how my 11 year old son who is just recently playing games like Zelda and Super Mario Bros. 2 and 3 is absolutely in love with them.

Double Dragon is also one of his favorites... So I will disagree that it's my "nostalgia".

Since when does the "look" of a game and how it's "dated" mean that it's not fun?

so you use a handful of all time classic timeless games that still have games in their series being released 20 years later as "proof" that games were better back then?

for every mario bros 3, there's a 100 E.T. games from the nes era that are completely unplayable today

movies, music, and tv are worse today than 20 years ago but video games are far better

E
E

tu_holmes

• Getbig V
  • Robot
so you use a handful of all time classic timeless games that still have games in their series being released 20 years later as "proof" that games were better back then?

for every mario bros 3, there's a 100 E.T. games from the nes era that are completely unplayable today

movies, music, and tv are worse today than 20 years ago but video games are far better

E

ET was an Atari 2600 game actually.

What games do you have that are "worse"?

There was Superman... That was terrible... Sure ET was bad... What do you have to back up your statement?

Even stupid games like Super Spike V-Ball were 100 times better than most games today.