Author Topic: Oldtimer1  (Read 422079 times)

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
Re: Oldtimer1
« Reply #375 on: February 01, 2019, 02:31:18 PM »
I first had pneumonia as an infant. Every cold has turned into bronchitis since then. My doctor explained that once you get pneumonia you become more susceptible to it. This happens infrequently, but if I get a cold and cannot shake it within a few days, I head to the doctor who prescribes antibiotics. He refers to it as bacterial pneumonia. Wish I knew this growing up and as a young adult because when left to take it's course, I'm hacking for at least three months.

Not sure if it's related, but I also have asthma which causes me to get short of breath more easily. Fortunately, I only had one critical episode asthma attack, requiring emergency hospital care and that was when I was a teenager. On the other hand, I've never knowingly had the flu or its symptoms.

It's currently 19 degrees F in Newark, NJ. Walking your dog in the woods might not be the best idea. At least you don't live in Minneapolis where my niece and her husband do. It is five degrees cooler than Newark. -Up a bit from earlier this week.

I would have sworn I had pneumonia again.  Can't breath trying to going to sleep at night. I didn't walk the dog. It is under 20 degrees and it's snowing lightly.  Feel bad for him. He lives for his walks in the woods and our little sprint at the end.  Pugs are good sprinters but have zero endurance. Been a rough week. I can't imagine how hard it's going to be hitting the gym again when I'm well.

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #376 on: February 08, 2019, 06:02:18 AM »
Two weeks of being sick and being immobile. Should have listened to my doctor and let him admit me to the hospital. Feeling slightly better now. I know I will be weak as hell coming back. Walking up the stairs is exhausting. Monday I begin hitting the gym again, God willing.

IroNat

• Getbig V
  • Time you enjoy wasting, was not wasted.
« Reply #377 on: February 08, 2019, 08:06:31 AM »
Don't rush it.

You'll get back quickly when you resume training.

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #378 on: February 10, 2019, 04:30:27 PM »
Don't rush it.

You'll get back quickly when you resume training.

Tomorrow I hit the gym. I'm a wreck between being sick as a dog for two weeks, my leg being injured and my perpetual hurt shoulder.  Going to start sick light. I don't care what people think. If I'm using 135lbs for my benches and 250lbs for deads so be it. I will get back in time.

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #379 on: February 11, 2019, 02:28:25 PM »
First workout since being sick.  I won't put up the weight used because they were a joke. No warm ups listed.

Chest day:

Bench 5 x 4 reps
Incline barbell bench  3 x 6
flat flies 3  x 10
dips 2 x 8
pullover 2 x 10

One giant set for abs
hanging leg raise
weighted crunch
incline situps
machine pulley crunch

Got on the treadmill after and ran two miles at a really slow pace. Felt my left Achilles get tweaked. I think as we age the body gets fragile. I have a slight limp here. Pissed. I ran so slow too.

Ended with no weight single calf raises. four sets.

Feel like I was hit by brick. Benches went surprisingly well considering my messed up shoulder. Started with something I never did before. I did my first warm up with the empty bar. Always thought that was silly watching guys in the gym do that.  I always began warm ups with 135lbs. Anyway the shoulder held up for 5 sets of flat barbell benches. The weight was really light.

My comeback split was inspired by watching Mike O'Hearn videos. From what I can make out he lifts 5 days a week. The split is Chest, legs, delts, arms and back. Cardio in the beginning of the cycle is Monday to Thursday.  Never liked this type of split but I'm going to do it for a two to three weeks.  He also uses around 5 sets of 4 reps in the power lifts to start his cycle.  I think low reps could be disastrous for a "senior" lifter but I used 5 increases in weight for the 5 sets of 4 in the bench. Tomorrow is legs and the squats will be 5 sets of 4 reps too.

Just want to get my strength up.

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #380 on: February 12, 2019, 07:21:48 PM »
Legs: Recovering from being sick. Weight used is pathetic so I won't put it down.

Power type squats 5 x 4 (Increased weight each set. Low bar placement and stance was slightly wider than shoulder)
Leg press 3 x 10
leg extension 2 x 20
stiff leg dead 3 x 6

Giant set of abs.
Hanging leg raise
weighted crunches
incline sit ups
Pulley crunches

Hit heavy bag for two rounds.
Walked fast on a treadmill with an incline for 34 minutes

Single leg calf raise body weight only 3 sets.

Neck work.

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #381 on: February 13, 2019, 09:39:56 AM »
Delt day:

Press behind neck 5  x 4 (Light never went over 125lbs but came all the way down with the bar to the traps to start each rep)
Dumbbell press standing 3 x 6
Dumbbell delt laterals 2 x 10
Rear delt dumbbell laterals 2 x 10
barbell shrugs 2 x 10

Giant set of abs:
Hanging leg raise
weighted crunch
incline sit up
pulley crunch

Body weight single leg calf raise 3 x max

I went on the treadmill after but then said to hell with it while warming up. Too tired. Weak from being sick.

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #382 on: February 14, 2019, 06:22:44 PM »
Still feeling weak and under the weather. Third week of this crap.

Arm day:

Close grip bench 3 x 6
dumbbell lying on bench extensions 3 x 8
traditional pushdowns 3 x 10

EZ curls 3 x 10
alternate dumbbell curls 3 x 8
concentration curls 3 x 12

forearm wrist curls 2 x 20
reverse wrist extensions 2 x 15

weighted crunches 1 x 50
pulley crunches 1 x 25

Tomorrow is back day.

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #383 on: February 15, 2019, 10:46:06 AM »
Back day:

Deadlifts 5 x 4 (kept it light. 300lbs)
Pulldowns 3 x 10
Seated lat pulls with a V handle 3 x 12
Single dumbbell rows off a bench 2 x 10
Inverted body weight bar rows 1 x 10 (feet on a bench body facing the ceiling. Grab the bar from a smith machine and pull up)
weighted back extensions 2 x 15
pulley crunches 1 x 30

Tired of being sick. Actually had to hock a luggie in my basement. Put in the french drain. Told my wife and now she's pissed. It's always something.

Hopefully I will be back on Monday when I continue the come back.

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #384 on: February 18, 2019, 05:16:36 PM »
Chest and back: Still weak from being sick. This is ridiculous.

Pull downs with M.A.G. bar 2 x 10 (I don't list the weight because my home unit has so much friction it can't compare to a smooth commercial unit.)
Seated cable rows with a V handle 2 x 12 170lbs (all the way out and back)
Dumbbell rows off a bench 2 x 10 80lbs
reverse grip pulldowns 2 x 10

Dumbbell bench 2 x 8 75lbs (normally I go all the way down. Slightly short stroked it. Felt weak from being sick. I also have been stretching my bad shoulder a lot. I think I made it weak from to much stretching.)
Incline dumbbell bench 2 x 8 (On second set I failed at 7 reps)
flat dumbbell flies 2 x 10 50lbs
Push ups 2 x max

deadlifts 2 x 4 300lbs then 1 x 1with 315lbs
weighted back extensions 2 x 15 (25lbs plate behind my head)

floor crunches 1 x 50 5lbs plate behind head.

Being sick for three weeks has aged me. LOL.  I look in the mirror and I just don't look like myself. Determined to get back. Tomorrow should be a trip. Going to run outside in the cold air. Should be a wheezing coughing fest. 

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #385 on: February 19, 2019, 07:57:49 PM »
Ran two slow miles in the park today. It was 29 degrees and my lungs filled with fluid.  Damn three weeks with bronchitis. I'm 90% better but 100% would be nicer.  ;D  After the run I hit the heavy bag. It felt great to let all my anger out on the bag. Hit it with bad intent.

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #386 on: February 20, 2019, 03:33:20 PM »
Leg day: Still regaining my strength.

Squats 2 x 8 225lbs (went deep and controlled)
leg press 2 x 12 ( 4 plates a side. Completely bent my legs with the back board low)
Stiff leg deadlifts 2 x 6 205lbs.
leg extension 2 x 20
seated leg curl 2 x 15
standing leg curl 2 x 12

Dumbbell side bend 1 x 15 90lbs
Hanging leg raises 2 x 22
Ab wheel roll out 2 x 22
Hip ups 1x 25 (I lie on the floor and point my legs toward the ceiling lifting my hips toward the ceiling.)

Standing calf raise 2 x 15
seated calf raise 2 x 15 90lbs
tibialis anterior work with a D.A.R.T. device.

Neck work 1 times all sides

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #387 on: February 21, 2019, 08:39:34 AM »
Ran two slow miles. Averaged 9:11 pace.  Hit the heavy bag for two rounds.

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #388 on: February 22, 2019, 10:56:01 AM »
Delt and arm day:

Military press 2 x 8 115lbs (cleaned the weight and went all the way down staying upright so it's not a standing incline press.
Dumbbell lateral raise 2 x 10 28lbs (yes I can make 28 pound dumbbells in my home gym)
Single arm lateral pulley raise 1 x 10
Rear delt lateral raise 2 x 10 35lbs
Barbell shrugs 2 x 10 250lbs

single dumbbell two hand seated tricep extension 2 x 10 75lbs (all the way down)
Traditional tricep pushdowns 2 x 10
One arm reverse grip single handle tricep extension 2 x 12

EZ curl 2 x 10 90lbs
Alternate dumbbell curl 2 x 8 43lbs
One hand pulley curl with a D handle 2 x 12

Wrist curl 2 x 20 95lbs
Reverse wrist extension 2 x 15

Weighted crunches 1 x 55 5lbs plate behind my head
Pulley crunches 2 x 25

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #389 on: February 25, 2019, 09:53:57 AM »
Back and chest day:

Gaining strength back.  I guess it was time for my six week attempt to  bench with a bar. Nope the shoulder said. When will I learn? Dumbbells from now on.  Deadlifts are coming back. I deadlift at the end of back and chest. I like to deadlift after I'm prefigured so I can't use heavy weights.  I did 2 x 4 300lbs then 1 x 1 320lbs.  

IroNat

• Getbig V
« Reply #390 on: February 25, 2019, 01:23:15 PM »
How much did you try to bench with?

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #391 on: February 25, 2019, 07:46:21 PM »
How much did you try to bench with?

I did four sets of flat barbell benches ending with 185lbs. My right shoulder just doesn't work without pain and weakness. I guess nothing is wrong with dumbbells. For a strange reason they seem for the most part do not irritate the shoulder. Must have to do with me rotating the wrist to a good position. Noticed the same with pull ups and lat machine pulldowns. A M.A.G. supinate pulldown bar and revolving pull up handles don't irritate the shoulder.

IroNat

• Getbig V
« Reply #392 on: February 26, 2019, 03:48:35 AM »
I've told you this before that you are going too heavy with the bench presses.

You have to master your ego.  Nobody in the gym gives a f*ck what you are benching.

If they do ask just tell them you are rehabbing your shoulder.

You need to start with just the bar.  Do 1-3 sets of high reps.  Add no more than 5 lbs a week.  

You need to strengthen the connective tissues in the joint slowly over time.  

It takes a few months.  You have to be patient.  

185 is way too heavy until you rehab the connective tissues.

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #393 on: February 27, 2019, 04:54:04 AM »
Slow 2 mile run on Tuesday.

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #394 on: February 27, 2019, 07:55:12 PM »
Today was leg day. It went well.

Leg press 2 x 12  four plates a side.(back board low and a truly full bend of the legs)
Dumbbell squats 2 x 12 80lbs (Truly one of the best exercises. If you bend over and deadlift the weight you are not doing it correctly. Straight back and sink that ass down till the legs are fully bent)
stiff leg dead off a block 2x6 205lbs
leg extensions 2 x 20
seated leg curl 2x 15
standing leg curl 2 x 12
No weight body weight squats 1 x 50 (Great way to finish legs. Deep squats and controlled negative. None of this crossfit flopping around.)

Ab side bend with one dumbbell 1 x 15 80lbs
Hanging leg raise 2 x 22
Hip ups 1 x 25

Standing calf 2 x 15
seated calf 2 x 15

neck work

The Scott

• Getbig V
  • I'm a victim of soicumcision!!
« Reply #395 on: February 28, 2019, 04:59:31 AM »
Just coming off two weeks of downtime due to the flu...Yuck.  I will start out even lighter than I normally do, LOL!  Great reading in this thread!  It along with IroNat's postings are very inspirational!  Thanks!

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #396 on: February 28, 2019, 09:31:37 AM »
Just coming off two weeks of downtime due to the flu...Yuck.  I will start out even lighter than I normally do, LOL!  Great reading in this thread!  It along with IroNat's postings are very inspirational!  Thanks!

I had the flu two years ago. When the high fever broke it turned into pneumonia. Being in the hospital was really draining. Glad you're feel better. The weights are adjustable.

Walked for one hour and twenty minutes today on a trail near my house. Hit the heavy bag. My voice still sounds like I'm sick but I'm feeling 90% physically.  

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #397 on: February 28, 2019, 09:34:21 AM »
I've told you this before that you are going too heavy with the bench presses.

You have to master your ego.  Nobody in the gym gives a f*ck what you are benching.

If they do ask just tell them you are rehabbing your shoulder.

You need to start with just the bar.  Do 1-3 sets of high reps.  Add no more than 5 lbs a week.  

You need to strengthen the connective tissues in the joint slowly over time.  

It takes a few months.  You have to be patient.  

185 is way too heavy until you rehab the connective tissues.

Just sad that 10 or so short years ago every single chest workout I used 275lbs on my last set and I'm not a big guy.  I said it before. I'm done with the movement. 

IroNat

• Getbig V
« Reply #398 on: February 28, 2019, 01:39:32 PM »
Just sad that 10 or so short years ago every single chest workout I used 275lbs on my last set and I'm not a big guy.  I said it before. I'm done with the movement.  

I understand but what you did 10 years ago is irrelevant to where you are today.

Try what I said.  Rehab the joint and connective tissues very gradually.  Start with the empty bar and be patient.

The only thing that holds the upper arm to the shoulder girdle is tendons and ligaments.  Those have to be strengthened before they can sustain heavy loads.

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #399 on: February 28, 2019, 07:19:27 PM »
I have been diagnosis by an orthopedic surgeon upon viewing an MRI that I had a slap tear. An honest surgeon who fixed a complete bicep rupture on me recommended that I forgo the repair on the shoulder. He said no guarantee it would work better after the surgery. He also threw in that I wasn't a kid anymore.