Author Topic: Twelve for '12: A Dozen Republicans Who Could Be the Next President  (Read 72310 times)

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
  • I am. The most interesting man in the world. (Not)
Re: Twelve for '12: A Dozen Republicans Who Could Be the Next President
« Reply #100 on: April 23, 2011, 10:37:16 AM »
Romney leads GOP pack in New Hampshire
By: CNN Political Producer Alexander Mooney

Washington (CNN) - There's more good news for Mitt Romney in the state of New Hampshire: a new Republican presidential primary poll shows the former Massachusetts governor has a commanding lead over all the other potential 2012 candidates.

According to a new survey from American Research Group, Romney holds a 32-17 percent lead among likely voters over his nearest competitor, businessman Donald Trump. Former House Speaker Newt Gingrich, former New York City Mayor Rudy Giuliani, former Arkansas Gov. Mike Huckabee, and Texas Rep. Ron Paul are all at 8 percent.

The ARG poll comes the same day a Dartmouth College survey showed Romney would convincingly beat Obama in the Granite State - the only potential GOP candidate that beats the president in the key campaign state.

The ARG poll surveyed 600 likely New Hampshire GOP voters by telephone between April 16-21 and includes a sampling error of plus or minus 4 percentage points.

http://politicalticker.blogs.cnn.com/2011/04/22/romney-leads-gop-pack-in-new-hampshire/#more-156229

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #101 on: April 24, 2011, 02:48:20 PM »
2012ers hit the road
By: CNN Political Unit

(CNN) – As the presidential waiting game continues, potential 2012 GOP candidates are off on various travels this week, mostly in presidential contest states.
MONDAY:
– Former Pennsylvania Sen. Rick Santorum: Goose Lake, Iowa: GOP dinner
TUESDAY:
– Santorum: Dubuque, Iowa: Town hall meeting
– Santorum: Dyersville, Iowa: Meeting with conservative activists
– Santorum: Cedar Rapids, Iowa: Address at the Chairman’s Series Dinner

WEDNESDAY:
– Former Godfather’s Pizza CEO Herman Cain: Washington, D.C.: Addresses the Americans for Tax Reform luncheon
– Former House Speaker Newt Gingrich: Washington, D.C.: National Catholic Prayer Breakfast
– Santorum: Marshalltown, Iowa: Breakfast with conservative activists
– Real estate mogul Donald Trump: First political visit to New Hampshire, meetings with party officials and events
THURSDAY:
– Cain: Rochester, New Hampshire: Speech
– Gingrich: Philadelphia, Pennsylvania: Documentary screening
– Kentucky Sen. Rand Paul: Chesire County, New Hampshire: Speech
– Sen. Paul: Merrimack, New Hampshire: Speech
– Texas Rep. Ron Paul: Reno, Nevada: Addresses a college Republican group
– Santorum: Washington, D.C.: Foreign policy address at the National Press Club
– Trump: Las Vegas, Nevada: Addresses a GOP women’s group

FRIDAY:
– Minnesota Rep. Michele Bachmann: Manchester, New Hampshire: Americans for Prosperity job creation and spending summit
– Cain: Manchester, New Hampshire: Americans for Prosperity job creation and spending summit
– Cain: Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania: Addresses the National Rifle Association convention
– Gingrich: Washington, D.C.: Documentary screening
– Former Minnesota Gov. Tim Pawlenty: Manchester, New Hampshire: Americans for Prosperity job creation and spending summit
– Former Massachusetts Gov. Mitt Romney: Manchester, New Hampshire: Americans for Prosperity job creation and spending summit
– Santorum: Manchester, New Hampshire: Americans for Prosperity job creation and spending summit
– Santorum: Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania: Addresses the National Rifle Association convention

SATURDAY:
– Bachmann: Manchester, New Hampshire: Speaks at the Freedom Forum
– Cain: Harrison City, Pennsylvania: Addresses tea party rally
– Former Arkansas Gov. Mike Huckabee: Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania: Delivers keynote address at National Rifle Association convention
– Former Alaska Gov. Sarah Palin: Bethesda, Maryland: Speaks at a fundraising dinner for anti-abortion group Heroic Media
– Pawlenty: Manchester, New Hampshire: Speaks at the Freedom Forum
– Santorum: Manchester, New Hampshire: Speaks at the Freedom Forum

http://politicalticker.blogs.cnn.com/2011/04/24/2012ers-hit-the-road-5/#more-156338

240 is Back

• Getbig V
  • Complete website for only $300- www.300website.com
« Reply #102 on: April 24, 2011, 03:13:21 PM »
repubs KNOW that huntsman was a huge threat, so obama hired him.

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • Doesnt lie about lifting.
« Reply #103 on: April 24, 2011, 03:31:23 PM »
At this point - beetlejuice will be a threat to bama in 2012 the way things are going. 

240 is Back

• Getbig V
« Reply #104 on: April 24, 2011, 03:58:11 PM »
At this point - beetlejuice will be a threat to bama in 2012 the way things are going. 

serious candidates like Romney are whooping him in polls.

TV character candidates like Trump and Beetlejuice are polling 12 or more points down.

Still, some people like to be entertained more than saved from disaster, so they vote trump/beetle.

tonymctones

• Getbig V
« Reply #105 on: April 24, 2011, 04:04:31 PM »
serious candidates like Romney are whooping him in polls.

TV character candidates like Trump and Beetlejuice are polling 12 or more points down.

Still, some people like to be entertained more than saved from disaster, so they vote trump/beetle.
or they vote obama, right 240?

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #106 on: April 24, 2011, 04:06:50 PM »
The only one I may have a hard time voting for is huckster.   I think romeny is flipper - but he still beats bama by a mile.

240 is Back

• Getbig V
« Reply #107 on: April 24, 2011, 04:12:47 PM »
or they vote obama, right 240?

well, if obama is losing to romney by 5... and leading trump by 12... then yes, it appears some people do look at a joke reality tv candidate, and vote obama.  great point comrade.

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #108 on: April 25, 2011, 12:25:30 PM »
http://politicalwire.com/archives/2011/04/25/barbour_wi...

Mississippi Gov. Haley Barbour issued a statement saying he "will not be a candidate for president next year."

He tells supporters: "If I have disappointed any of them in this decision, I sincerely regret it."

STATEMENT OF GOV. BARBOUR

"I will not be a candidate for president next year. This has been a difficult, personal decision, and I am very grateful to my family for their total support of my going forward, had that been what I decided.

"Hundreds of people have encouraged me to run and offered both to give and raise money for a presidential campaign. Many volunteers have organized events in support of my pursuing the race. Some have dedicated virtually full time to setting up preliminary organizations in critical, early states and to helping plan what has been several months of intensive activity.

"I greatly appreciate each and every one of them and all their outstanding efforts. If I have disappointed any of them in this decision, I sincerely regret it.

"A candidate for president today is embracing a ten-year commitment to an all-consuming effort, to the virtual exclusion of all else. His (or her) supporters expect and deserve no less than absolute fire in the belly from their candidate. I cannot offer that with certainty, and total certainty is required.

"This decision means I will continue my job as Governor Mississippi, my role in the Republican Governors Association and my efforts to elect a new Republican president in 2012, as the stakes for the nation require that effort to be successful."

http://www.governorbarbour.com/news/2011/apr/4.25barbou...

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #109 on: April 25, 2011, 03:25:53 PM »
http://politicalwire.com/archives/2011/04/25/barbour_wi...

Mississippi Gov. Haley Barbour issued a statement saying he "will not be a candidate for president next year."

He tells supporters: "If I have disappointed any of them in this decision, I sincerely regret it."

STATEMENT OF GOV. BARBOUR

"I will not be a candidate for president next year. This has been a difficult, personal decision, and I am very grateful to my family for their total support of my going forward, had that been what I decided.

"Hundreds of people have encouraged me to run and offered both to give and raise money for a presidential campaign. Many volunteers have organized events in support of my pursuing the race. Some have dedicated virtually full time to setting up preliminary organizations in critical, early states and to helping plan what has been several months of intensive activity.

"I greatly appreciate each and every one of them and all their outstanding efforts. If I have disappointed any of them in this decision, I sincerely regret it.

"A candidate for president today is embracing a ten-year commitment to an all-consuming effort, to the virtual exclusion of all else. His (or her) supporters expect and deserve no less than absolute fire in the belly from their candidate. I cannot offer that with certainty, and total certainty is required.

"This decision means I will continue my job as Governor Mississippi, my role in the Republican Governors Association and my efforts to elect a new Republican president in 2012, as the stakes for the nation require that effort to be successful."

http://www.governorbarbour.com/news/2011/apr/4.25barbou...

Wise choice.  He wasn't going to be the nominee. 

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #110 on: April 25, 2011, 04:28:37 PM »
Rep. Paul to announce presidential exploratory committee
By: CNN Senior Producer Kevin Bohn

Washington (CNN) - Republican Texas Rep. Ron Paul will announce on Tuesday the formation of a presidential exploratory committee at an event in Des Moines, Iowa, CNN has learned.

While Paul is announcing an exploratory committee, he has not made a final decision about launching a campaign for the White House in 2012.

"He is still not 100 percent," a source close to the Paul campaign told CNN. "He is strongly considering a run."

"He is moving closer to a final decision," the source said, adding, "You can expect that decision to come in mid-May."

A key factor in prompting the committee announcement now is the upcoming GOP presidential debate where participation is contingent upon the formation of an exploratory committee.

The congressman, whose son, Kentucky Republican Sen. Rand Paul, is also considering a run, has run twice for president, most recently in 2008.
But Sen. Paul has said he will not run in 2012 if his father launches a bid.

http://politicalticker.blogs.cnn.com/2011/04/25/rep-paul-to-announce-presidential-exploratory-committee/#more-156472

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #111 on: April 26, 2011, 10:49:49 PM »
He certainly has the biggest mouth.   :)

Rudy's window has closed. 

Giuliani: Trump is 'resonating'
By: CNN Associate Producer Gabriella Schwarz

Washington (CNN) – Former New York City Mayor Rudy Giuliani thinks real estate mogul Donald Trump is the "most exciting candidate in the race" for the White House in 2012.

In an interview with The Washington Times, the 2008 Republican presidential candidate said Trump's controversial comments come from the heart.

"I think he is doing as well as he's doing because he's saying things the American people need to hear – about leadership and about strength and about being proud of America and not apologizing for America," Giuliani said Tuesday. "So I think he's resonating."

Trump has done well in some recent national polls of potential 2012 candidates, while he continues to question President Barack Obama's birthplace. But don't expect Giuliani to jump on the "birther" bandwagon.
"I'm not one who wants to raise that question," he said. "It's been proven to my satisfaction that the president was born in the United States. The documented copy [of his birth certificate] is enough for me. I think the best reason that we should defeat President Barack Obama is because he's not a very good president."

Trump, who has donated extensively to Democratic and Republican political candidates, also contributed $1,000 to Giuliani's mayoral campaign in 1999 and 2000, according to the Federal Election Commission.
Giuliani will travel to the early contest state of New Hampshire next month and said he remains undecided about his own bid for the White House.

"At this point, I'm not actively considering it, but I have the door open," Giuliani said.

http://politicalticker.blogs.cnn.com/2011/04/26/giuliani-trump-is-resonating/#more-156811

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #112 on: April 28, 2011, 10:08:43 PM »
I like Huck, but I don't think he'll win. 

Huckabee 'asking folks to keep their powder dry,' adviser says
By: CNN Political Reporter Peter Hamby

Washington (CNN) – One of Mike Huckabee's political confidantes in the early primary state of South Carolina spoke with the former Arkansas governor Thursday and received assurances that he is still "seriously" weighing a presidential bid.

Mike Campbell, who chaired Huckabee's South Carolina campaign in 2008, told CNN that he called his former boss after a South Carolina blog erroneously claimed that Huckabee had decided against running again in 2012.

The report quickly shot around the web Wednesday and forced Huckabee's team to knock down the rumor.

Campbell called the blog item "a bunch of bull" but said he decided to call Huckabee anyway.

"He said, 'Mike, obviously that's unfounded and completely untrue,'" Campbell said of his conversation with Huckabee. "He told me, 'I'm just asking folks to keep their powder dry because there may be something coming in the future that may be worth keeping your powder dry for."

Asked about his presidential intentions, the former Arkansas governor told Campbell, "I am weighing it very heavily and I am considering it as seriously as I have ever been."

Huckabee is enjoying the perks of a lucrative Fox News contract and has done little to signal that he's prepping for a repeat campaign, but his advisers have tried hard to keep his name in the 2012 mix as other potential candidates have taken more formal steps toward running.

Campbell said Huckabee can afford to wait longer than other candidates to enter the race because he has an existing network of supporters in key states ready to help him again, putting him in a "great position" to win the nomination.

"I think he is energized to do it, but I think he is going to weigh his options and make sure it's in the best interest of himself and those around him," Campbell told CNN.

He said Huckabee plans to make a final decision in "early to mid-summer."

http://politicalticker.blogs.cnn.com/2011/04/28/huckabee-asking-folks-to-keep-their-powder-dry-adviser-says/#more-157193

whork25

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #113 on: April 29, 2011, 02:56:53 AM »
Who really cares anymore witch corrupt scumbag is in the oval office

RP all the way

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #114 on: April 29, 2011, 12:14:06 PM »
Who really cares anymore witch corrupt scumbag is in the oval office

RP all the way

Makes a big difference. 

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #115 on: April 29, 2011, 12:15:24 PM »
Bachmann, Pawlenty to Cross Paths in NH
Friday, 29 Apr 2011
By Luis F. Perez

U.S. Rep. Michele Bachmann and former Minnesota Gov. Tim Pawlenty will cross paths for the first time on the presidential campaign trail in New Hampshire today.

Some see the Minnesota Republicans as rivals for the GOP presidential nomination. But each represents a different wing of the GOP, leaving open the possibility that each could advance in the race without one canceling support for the other, the Minneapolis Star Tribune reported.

Rep. Michele Bachmann "It's two very different restaurants, two very different clienteles," said Andy Brehm, a Minnesota Republican strategist. "She's not stealing votes from him, nor he from her."

At the Americans for Prosperity conference in New Hampshire, Pawlenty and Bachmann are being seen as a double Minnesota threat to surge or place well in New Hampshire's first-in-the-nation primary.

"That's the race to watch," said Andrew Hemingway, chairman of the influential Republican Liberty Caucus in New Hampshire. "They both have amazing opportunities."

While Pawlenty has built a well-organized campaign infrastructure, Bachmann has national star power as a tea party favorite and as founder and head of the House Tea Party Caucus, garnering her much more media exposure.

http://www.newsmax.com/Politics/Bachmann-Pawlenty-NewHampshire-GOP/2011/04/29/id/394566

chadstallion

• Getbig IV
« Reply #116 on: April 29, 2011, 12:47:06 PM »
that Clown Car is pretty cramped !
w

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #117 on: April 29, 2011, 12:52:46 PM »
that Clown Car is pretty cramped !

Tell me about it.  Not sure how the preident fits anyone else on Air Force One. 

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #118 on: May 03, 2011, 11:04:55 PM »
Huntsman takes big step toward 2012 bid
By: CNN Political Reporter Peter Hamby

Washington (CNN) – Jon Huntsman formed a federal political action committee on Tuesday, taking his first concrete step toward a presidential campaign since returning from his post last week as ambassador to China.

Huntsman filed papers with the Federal Election Commission to create "H-PAC," an organization that will allow him to pay for staff and travel to key caucus and primary states as he considers a bid for the Republican presidential nomination in 2012.

Huntsman will not form an exploratory committee and will simply make a final decision about a White House bid early this summer, a spokesman told CNN Tuesday.

"This is an organizational step," Huntsman spokesman Tim Miller said. "If Jon decides that he wants to run for president, he will make that decision at that time."

Huntsman already has a team of political advisers in place working under the umbrella of a state-based committee, Horizon PAC, an organization formed as "campaign-in-waiting" while the ambassador concluded his service in Beijing.

Huntsman, who was governor of Utah before President Barack Obama tapped him for the China post in early 2009, was forbidden from conducting political activity while working in the diplomatic corps.

But his advisers have been busy putting the pieces together for a Huntsman campaign, thought by many GOP insiders to be a certainty.
The Huntsman team is scattered across the country in places like Florida, South Carolina and California, but they have been shuttling back and forth to Washington in recent weeks as Huntsman's return from China approached.

Huntsman immediately began taking steps toward a campaign shortly after his plane touched down in Washington last Friday.
He attended the White House Correspondents Association Dinner in Washington on Saturday evening and mingled with the many of the reporters and pundits who might cover his campaign.

He also has two upcoming speaking appearances lined up in two pivotal primary states: Huntsman will deliver a commencement address on Saturday at the University of South Carolina and on May 21 at Southern New Hampshire University.

Huntsman broke with his party on issues like climate change and same-sex marriage during his tenure in Utah, and his team sees his path to the nomination as running through New Hampshire and South Carolina, two states that allow independents to participate in their Republican primaries.

http://politicalticker.blogs.cnn.com/2011/05/03/huntsman-takes-big-step-toward-2012-bid/#more-157771

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #119 on: May 04, 2011, 11:23:40 AM »
Interested to see Pawlenty and how he performs. 

Huck and Palin sitting out the 2012 race is probably a good thing.  Don't think either one would make it out of the primary at this point.   

The Flag Goes Up on 2012
by Carl Cameron | May 03, 2011

With the first 2012 GOP presidential debate Thursday in South Carolina, top Republicans in the Palmetto State are warning several hopefuls who have chosen to skip the event that it will hurt them.

"Anyone that discounts South Carolina is making a huge mistake," said South Carolina Governor Nikki Haley.

South Carolina traditionally holds the first primary in the south. Since it began in 1980, no Republican has won the GOP presidential nomination without first winning the state.

In Iowa, home of the first caucuses, New Hampshire where the first primary will be held, and South Carolina, which votes third and takes the campaign trail into the old south, voters are notoriously demanding of candidates.

First -in-the-nation voters expect candidates to visit early and often and resent those who try to use big money and celebrity as a substitute for grass roots campaigning and a strong command of the issues.

"There's an arrogance that's abounding right now with some of these candidates and the state of South Carolina is a perfect conduit to select someone who will go out and work hard, shake hands, meet the people and say look, this is what I stand for, this is what I'm about," warned the state's Republican party chairwoman Karen Floyd.

Gov. Haley believes skipping Thursday's debate will put some of the candidates at odds with demanding Palmetto State voters eager to begin reviewing the candidates and their character.

"They're gonna have to work twice as hard to prove that they're in the game and while it is early, to show that you're strong early makes an important difference in South Carolina," Haley said. "So I would advise all of them get here, get here fast and make sure every part of the state notices you."

Some candidates have argued it's too soon to be debating. That really irks GOP powerbrokers who know candidates like Mitt Romney have been planning and campaigning for months

"They're wrong because we're eight months out. And can you imagine selecting a president without having a cadre of individuals sitting on the stage saying 'this is who I am. this is what I'm about and vote for me.'" said Floyd.

In order to participate in the debate, Fox News and the South Carolina Republican Party have agreed that candidates must meet several requirements, including filing exploratory paperwork with the Federal Elections Commission, filing papers and paying a fee to the state party, as well as polling nationally. The deadline to qualify is the end of business Tuesday.

Former Minnesota Gov. Tim Pawlenty, who plans to attend the debate, said, "I hope all of the serious or even potential candidates are going to get in this debate because, look, this is a president who's got his challenges, but he's going to raise a billion dollars; he's a very gifted campaigner and we've got to start taking the case to the American people why he should be fired."

Others expected to participate include former Pennsylvania Sen. Rick Santorum, Texas Rep. Ron Paul, who's 2008 run sparked the modern Tea Party movement, former New Mexico Gov. Gary Johnson, and businessman Herman Cain.

Newt Gingrich had planned to attend but has indicated he will not have filed the FEC papers in time. Mitt Romney has yet to file his South Carolina candidacy papers and some insiders have hinted that his strategy will downplay the Palmetto State this time.

Minnesota Congresswoman Michele Bachmann expressed eagerness to attend but does not expect to have her paperwork in order until June. Mike Huckabee and Sarah Palin have filed no paperwork which some Republicans see as a sign that both will opt out of the 2012 race altogether.

http://politics.blogs.foxnews.com/2011/05/03/flag-goes-2012

The True Adonis

• Getbig V
  • Fear is proof of a degenerate mind.
« Reply #120 on: May 04, 2011, 11:31:14 AM »
Ron Poop and John Huntsman are the only two that could hack it and at least are intelligent and rational to a degree.

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #121 on: May 04, 2011, 11:32:07 AM »
Madoff/Vandersloot - will be able to beat bama in 2012.   

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #122 on: May 05, 2011, 11:59:13 AM »

Romney on top in 2 new New Hampshire polls
By: CNN Deputy Political Director Paul Steinhauser

(CNN) – Two new polls indicate that Mitt Romney remains the early front-runner in the battle for the New Hampshire primary.

According to a WMUR/Granite State poll conducted by the University of New Hampshire, 36 percent of likely New Hampshire primary voters say they would support the former Massachusetts governor and 2008 GOP White House candidate if the contest were held today.

Romney's at 35 percent in a Suffolk University/7 News survey. Romney has a large lead over the other probable Republican presidential candidates in both polls, which were released Wednesday evening.
Romney's lead in these two new polls, as well as other GOP horserace surveys conducted in New Hampshire earlier this year, are no surprise. Romney is well known in the Granite state. Massachusetts media dominates in the heavily populated southern part of New Hampshire. Romney has campaigned heavily in the state in the 2008 primary, and he has a summer home in the state's lakes region.

According to the WMUR/Granite State poll, Donald Trump's in second place at 11 percent. The billionaire businessman, real estate mogul and reality TV star says he'll decide by June if he's running for the White House. Everyone else is in single digits. No one other than Romney cracks double digits in the Suffolk University/7 News survey.

But take all these early polls with some skepticism.

"Most primary voters do not settle on a choice until the very end of the campaign, so early poll numbers are a better gauge of a candidate's popularity now than an indication of who voters will end up supporting," says Andrew Smith of the UNH Survey Center. "In the most recent poll, 79 percent of likely Republican primary voters say they are still trying to decide who they will eventually vote for in 2012, 16 percent are leaning toward a candidate, and only 5 percent say they have definitely decided who they will vote for."

The WMUR/Granite State poll was conducted April 15-May 2, with 415 likely New Hampshire GOP primary voters questioned by telephone. The survey's sampling error is plus or minus 4.8 percentage points.
The Suffolk University/7 News poll was conducted April 30-May 2, with 400 likely New Hampshire GOP primary voters questioned by telephone. The survey's sampling error is plus or minus 4.9 percentage points.

http://politicalticker.blogs.cnn.com/2011/05/05/romney-on-top-in-2-new-new-hampshire-polls/#more-157977

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #123 on: May 05, 2011, 12:00:23 PM »
Will Pawlenty's Message Resonate With South Carolina Republicans?
by Marla Cichowski | May 05, 2011

When Tim Pawlenty arrives in South Carolina to take part in tonight's first GOP Presidential Primary debate it will be only his second visit to the state this year.

In fact, of the five candidates set to debate tonight only one, Rick Santorum, has spent a decent amount of time campaigning in the Palmetto State.

Even though Governor Pawlenty may remain relatively unknown by South Carolina voters, he is striking a chord with those watching the GOP primary race unfold.

"Tim Pawlenty has the best chance of any of the five (appearing at the debate)" says Clemson University political science professor and Republican consultant, Dave Woodard. "I think he can do pretty well here if he can get his message out. He's in the best position of the five candidates (at the debate), assuming he can get money."

Woodard points to Pawlenty's executive experience serving as Minnesota governor for eight years and his traditional upbringing as attractive assets. "Having a strong moral background is very important here."

The Greenville Tea Party listed Pawlenty as a featured speaker at its "Freedom Rally" being held Thursday in downtown Greenville, S.C., the site of the GOP Presidential Primary debate. However, Governor Pawlenty's staff tells Fox News he will not be attending the rally. Pawlenty's last visit to South Carolina was in March when he spoke at the Aiken County Republican Club luncheon meeting. The following day he spent time chatting with South Carolina Gov. Nikki Haley at the Statehouse.

Woodard says securing support from Gov. Haley or South Carolina Senator Jim DeMint is critical for Pawlenty doing well in South Carolina. "If he could secure a DeMint endorsement he could do well here."

Wooing voters in South Carolina carries even more weight considering ever since 1980, the state's primary voters have chosen the candidate who goes on to become the Republican nominee.

Pawlenty's team says he will make his official announcement about running for President later this spring.

http://politics.blogs.foxnews.com/2011/05/05/will-pawlentys-message-resonate-south-carolina-republicans

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #124 on: May 05, 2011, 10:37:16 PM »
South Carolina debate was actually pretty decent.  They all did a good job.  Some comments on each:

Pawlenty:  Probably the most “presidential” of the group.  Liked what I heard across the board.  First time seeing him debate.  I like him.  

Santorum:  Better than I expected.  Has zero chance to win the nomination.    

Johnson: Decent job.  Has sort of an effeminate mannerism, particularly for the tough athlete he is.  Two things that will prevent him from getting off the ground:  (1) he supports amnesty for illegal workers; wants to give them work visas; and (2) he is pro abortion until viability.  He will not crack double digits IMO.    

Cain:  Really like him.  His answers were a little disjointed at times, but he is someone who knows how to lead.  Straight talk.  If we’re going to put a businessman with no political experience in the White House, I’d take this guy any day of the week over Trump.

Paul:  He did O.K.  He is essentially a one-issue candidate: the economy.  He's good on that issue.  Not so hot on other issues, especially national defense and the military.