Author Topic: Public Funding for Faith Based Schools  (Read 3345 times)

militarymuscle69

• Getbig IV
  • You can't be a citizen unless you serve
Re: Public Funding for Faith Based Schools
« Reply #25 on: October 09, 2007, 06:44:00 AM »
Yeah, Heaven forbid we should teach our children about science... I mean, Sweet Jesus, they just might learn something...

Where did I say anything about science?
gotta love life

Deicide

• Getbig V
  • Reapers...
« Reply #26 on: October 09, 2007, 06:44:49 AM »
I know it is a college course, I believe it concentrates on the "major" religions...Christianity, Muslim, Buddhist etc...I mean I honestly don't get my panties in a bunch on schools not teaching creationism..I don't really care, I wil ltake care of that at home. I only get ticked when they start this seperation of church and state thing and saying that big bang is a "truth".....No one has been able to show me where the constitution states "seperation of church and state"

Virtually all modern astrophysicists subscribe to the big bang theory; ever read Stephen Hawkings' 'A Brief History of Time'? I take you are a Phd in Physics and can rightly criticise these dumb physicists? ::)
I hate the State.

Deicide

• Getbig V
  • Reapers...
« Reply #27 on: October 09, 2007, 06:47:55 AM »
I know it is a college course, I believe it concentrates on the "major" religions...Christianity, Muslim, Buddhist etc...I mean I honestly don't get my panties in a bunch on schools not teaching creationism..I don't really care, I wil ltake care of that at home. I only get ticked when they start this seperation of church and state thing and saying that big bang is a "truth".....No one has been able to show me where the constitution states "seperation of church and state"

You tell your children that the Genesis myth is factual account of things?
I hate the State.

militarymuscle69

• Getbig IV
  • You can't be a citizen unless you serve
« Reply #28 on: October 09, 2007, 07:26:57 AM »
subscribe to the big bang theory

When they call it big bang fact get back to me...

I have stated my thoughts on Genisis version many times...but for the newbie. I do not take the bible literally, but believe in intelligent design. Hope that sums it up for you. I am a creationevolutionist...b elieve the world was created intelligently and it has proceeded to evolve from there
gotta love life

Deicide

• Getbig V
  • Reapers...
« Reply #29 on: October 09, 2007, 07:34:08 AM »
subscribe to the big bang theory

When they call it big bang fact get back to me...

I have stated my thoughts on Genisis version many times...but for the newbie. I do not take the bible literally, but believe in intelligent design. Hope that sums it up for you. I am a creationevolutionist...b elieve the world was created intelligently and it has proceeded to evolve from there

A theory in science is quite different to its convential usage. At university they teach a physics class called atomic theory and they would never call it atomic fact.

a plausible or scientifically acceptable general principle or body of principles offered to explain phenomena <the wave theory of light>

Intelligent Design huh? I believe in Stupid Design, which is why the incompetent creator put an entertainment complex in the middle of a sewer system....
I hate the State.

24KT

• Getbig V
  • Gold Savings Account Rep +1 (310) 409-2244
« Reply #30 on: October 09, 2007, 08:38:26 AM »
{GREAT BIG SIGH}

Ahem...

The question is NOT do we teach our kids all theories and letthem make up their own mind.

It is:

Do you support the idea of over a half a billion dollars of your tax payer monies being taken out of the public school system, in order to support private Islamic schools, or private Wiccan schools, or private (insert religion here) schools?

YES or NO?

Sheesh, ...can't anyone answer a straight question anymore?  ;D
w

Straw Man

• Getbig V
  • one dwells in nirvana
« Reply #31 on: October 09, 2007, 08:43:18 AM »
{GREAT BIG SIGH}

Ahem...

The question is NOT do we teach our kids all theories and letthem make up their own mind.

It is:

Do you support the idea of over a half a billion dollars of your tax payer monies being taken out of the public school system, in order to support private Islamic schools, or private Wiccan schools, or private (insert religion here) schools?

YES or NO?

Sheesh, ...can't anyone answer a straight question anymore?  ;D

Doesn't seem like anyone here (believers or non-believers) seem to support it

How may more times do you need to hear it?

NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO

24KT

• Getbig V
« Reply #32 on: October 09, 2007, 08:53:36 AM »
Doesn't seem like anyone here (believers or non-believers) seem to support it

How may more times do you need to hear it?

NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO

So why is everyone so surprised that I consistently vote for the Liberal Party?

Our present premiere Dalton McGuinty (Liberal) himself a product of faith based education (educated in the Catholic School system) is against it. But John Tory (Conservative) built his entire platform around it. It was a cheap attempt to get at the "ethnic" vote, as most immigrants tend o vote liberal (at least in Ontario). It backfired big time. Now the Liberals, despite breaking election promise after election promise, and now going to end up with a another majority government in this province. mike Harris and the Conservatives did such a number on this province 10 years ago, I doubt the conservatives will ever get back in power here, until this present generation dies off.
w

Straw Man

• Getbig V
  • one dwells in nirvana
« Reply #33 on: October 09, 2007, 09:04:41 AM »
So why is everyone so surprised that I consistently vote for the Liberal Party?

Our present premiere Dalton McGuinty (Liberal) himself a product of faith based education (educated in the Catholic School system) is against it. But John Tory (Conservative) built his entire platform around it. It was a cheap attempt to get at the "ethnic" vote, as most immigrants tend o vote liberal (at least in Ontario). It backfired big time. Now the Liberals, despite breaking election promise after election promise, and now going to end up with a another majority government in this province. mike Harris and the Conservatives did such a number on this province 10 years ago, I doubt the conservatives will ever get back in power here, until this present generation dies off.

is that your real question?

I thought it you just wanted a simple yes or no

I don't live in Canada, know nothing about the politics and don't really see any reason to care

We've got enough things to worry about with our own government and unfortunately our government already spends my tax $$$ on "faith based" nonsense

24KT

• Getbig V
« Reply #34 on: October 09, 2007, 09:08:49 AM »
is that your real question?

I thought it you just wanted a simple yes or no

I don't live in Canada, know nothing about the politics and don't really see any reason to care

We've got enough things to worry about with our own government and unfortunately our government already spends my tax $$$ on "faith based" nonsense

Don't be mean Straw Man, ...or I'll light a match under your butt.   ;D
w

Straw Man

• Getbig V
  • one dwells in nirvana
« Reply #35 on: October 09, 2007, 09:16:58 AM »
Don't be mean Straw Man, ...or I'll light a match under your butt.   ;D

was I being mean? - I thought I was just being expedient

I don't live in Canada and know nothing about the politics

headhuntersix

• Getbig V
  • Our forefathers would be shooting by now
« Reply #36 on: October 09, 2007, 10:38:32 AM »
The issue is about education....many if not most Catholic schools produce a better product then public schools.  Many of these schools are in lower income areas, and parents want "help" if they choose to send their kids to that school. A portion of their tax dollars are going to the local public school. They want that money to offset some of the tuition fees of those schools. They aren't going there for the religious purposes as much as a better more diciplined invironment for their children.  I went to catholic school for 12 years. I don't post on the religious board and I don't go to church. I don't really care. I wasn't indoctrinated. We had jews and other religions who went but they went for the education I'm not sure what happens in Christian schools, but atleast at the High School level, u don't have alot of overtly religious classwork. I had some world religion classes and some ethics stuff that fell under the Religion department, but that was about it. I think that as long as the Schools adhere the curriculum/rules set forth by the government. Then its no big deal.
L

Deicide

• Getbig V
  • Reapers...
« Reply #37 on: October 09, 2007, 03:29:51 PM »
Let's make this clear: creation science is not science at all; it is not testable, verifiable, falsifiable or anything else for that matter.
I hate the State.

24KT

• Getbig V
« Reply #38 on: October 09, 2007, 09:47:16 PM »
The issue is about education....many if not most Catholic schools produce a better product then public schools.  Many of these schools are in lower income areas, and parents want "help" if they choose to send their kids to that school. A portion of their tax dollars are going to the local public school. They want that money to offset some of the tuition fees of those schools. They aren't going there for the religious purposes as much as a better more diciplined invironment for their children.  I went to catholic school for 12 years. I don't post on the religious board and I don't go to church. I don't really care. I wasn't indoctrinated. We had jews and other religions who went but they went for the education I'm not sure what happens in Christian schools, but atleast at the High School level, u don't have alot of overtly religious classwork. I had some world religion classes and some ethics stuff that fell under the Religion department, but that was about it. I think that as long as the Schools adhere the curriculum/rules set forth by the government. Then its no big deal.

The situation up here in Canada is different.  We don't have the same crisis in our public school system, and we don't have the Catholic school system providing a better education. Up here the big question is do we divert funds from our public school system to fund private religious education, and in this province people are not for it. The biggest proponents of it are the Catholic, Jewish & Islamic religious organizations, but the majority of Catholics, Jews, and Muslims are saying no way. this will not lead to the type of inclusiveness we're looking to create. The beauty of our system is that all faiths are educated 'together', and have the benefit of input & exposure to different ideas and different POVs. A public secular education goes a long way towards the integration of society, and the creation of faith based schools is counter-productive to the inclusive, tolerant, society we're building up here.

As crazy as it seems, I have friends who never met a non- Jewish person until they were 18. That's crazy!
w