Author Topic: Screwtape's bible readings.  (Read 13427 times)

(Screwtape)

• Getbig II
Screwtape's bible readings.
« on: August 25, 2017, 08:09:23 PM »
"The kingdom of heaven is like treasure hidden in a field, which a man found and covered up. Then in his joy he goes and sells all that he has and buys that field."
- Matthew 13:44

He didn't brag about what he had bought.
He didn't parade it around.

Why was he digging around in the first place? What was he searching for?

You can imagine how stupid he must have looked to other people for giving up everything to buy a seemingly empty field.

(Screwtape)

• Getbig II
Re: Screwtape's bible readings.
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2017, 08:20:05 PM »
And behold, a Canaanite woman from that region came out and was crying, “Have mercy on me, O Lord, Son of David; my daughter is severely oppressed by a demon.” 23But he did not answer her a word. And his disciples came and begged him, saying, “Send her away, for she is crying out after us.” 24He answered, “I was sent only to the lost sheep of the house of Israel.” 25But she came and knelt before him, saying, “Lord, help me.” 26And he answered, “It is not right to take the children’s bread and throw it to the dogs.” 27She said, “Yes, Lord, yet even the dogs eat the crumbs that fall from their masters’ table.” 28Then Jesus answered her, “O woman, great is your faith! Be it done for you as you desire.” And her daughter was healed instantly.

Matthew 15:22-28

The Canaanites, an ancient enemy of God's people. Yet even this Canaanite woman shows that through faith and persistence that even her prayer can be answered. How much more then would God delight to answer the prayers of his own faithful children?

(Screwtape)

• Getbig II
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2017, 08:31:01 PM »

12“Go and say to David, ‘Thus says the Lord, Three things I offer you. Choose one of them, that I may do it to you.’” 13So Gad came to David and told him, and said to him, “Shall three years of famine come to you in your land? Or will you flee three months before your foes while they pursue you? Or shall there be three days’ pestilence in your land? Now consider, and decide what answer I shall return to him who sent me.” 14Then David said to Gad, “I am in great distress. Let us fall into the hand of the Lord, for his mercy is great; but let me not fall into the hand of man. 15 So the Lord sent a pestilence on Israel..."

2 Samuel 24:12-15

God gave David three choices for his punishment: three years, three months, or three days.
David defers the decision back to God. God chooses the three day option. Why?

Because God is not wasting time.

He knows you are timebound and he doesn't want to drag things out longer than necessary.

(Screwtape)

• Getbig II
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2017, 08:26:47 PM »
"Has his steadfast love forever ceased? Are his promises at an end for all time?"

Psalm 77:8

You can look back over your life and see the miracles of God that have occurred. You can see how God has brought you, step by step, from faith to faith and glory to glory, to where you are now, assuming you have stayed faithful to him. But then when you look ahead you see a future that doesn't include Him. You wonder if and how certain things in your life will work out. Satan leads you to believe that God clocked out and that even though you have seen God's providence in the past that you will never again see it in the future.

But the devil is a liar.

(Screwtape)

• Getbig II
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2017, 09:34:52 AM »
"18 Because he was very thirsty, he cried out to the Lord, “You have given your servant this great victory. Must I now die of thirst and fall into the hands of the uncircumcised?” 19 Then God opened up the hollow place in Lehi, and water came out of it. When Samson drank, his strength returned and he revived."

Judges 15:18-19

God has not brought you this far to leave you.

Man of Steel

• Getbig V
  • Isaiah40:28-31 ✝ Romans10:9 ✝ 1Peter3:15
« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2017, 10:20:26 PM »
Few questions:
1) What's the point of the thread?
2) Why did you choose C.S. Lewis' demon character Uncle Screwtape for your user name?
3) Why only 9 posts deep and randomly post on the Religion child board?
4) Haven't I deleted some of your previous posts?

(Screwtape)

• Getbig II
« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2017, 03:27:18 AM »
Few questions:
1) What's the point of the thread?
2) Why did you choose C.S. Lewis' demon character Uncle Screwtape for your user name?
3) Why only 9 posts deep and randomly post on the Religion child board?
4) Haven't I deleted some of your previous posts?

Not that I'm aware of.

Man of Steel

• Getbig V
« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2017, 10:48:39 AM »
Not that I'm aware of.

Not a problem.  It's just highly uncommon for new posters to come directly to the Religion board.

(Screwtape)

• Getbig II
« Reply #8 on: September 01, 2017, 05:27:29 PM »
“11 Moab has been at ease from his youth
and has settled on his dregs;
he has not been emptied from vessel to vessel,
nor has he gone into exile;
so his taste remains in him,
and his scent is not changed."

Jeremiah 48:11

"The wine-making imagery is vivid. In the production of sweet wine, the juice was left in a wineskin until the sediment or dregs settled onto the bottom. Then it was poured into another skin until more dregs were separated. This process continued until the dregs were all removed and a pure, sweet wine obtained. Moab was not taken from suffering to suffering so that her bitter dregs would be removed through the purging of pain."

Taken from the MacArthur study bible.

(Screwtape)

• Getbig II
« Reply #9 on: September 06, 2017, 01:32:07 PM »
"The LORD said to Moses, “Come up to me on the mountain and wait there, that I may give you the tablets of stone, with the law and the commandment, which I have written for their instruction."
Exodus 24:12

No one likes to wait. Why didn't God just have the tablets ready when Moses got there?

Could it be that there was a purpose in the waiting? A purpose more than just developing patience? Was the waiting a test? Did it instill an appreciation for God's law that Moses would have lacked had he not had to wait for it?

(Screwtape)

• Getbig II
« Reply #10 on: September 17, 2017, 07:15:06 PM »
Once when Jacob was cooking stew, Esau came in from the field, and he was exhausted. And Esau said to Jacob, “Let me eat some of that red stew, for I am exhausted!” (Therefore his name was called Edom). Jacob said, “Sell me your birthright now.” Esau said, “I am about to die; of what use is a birthright to me?” Jacob said, “Swear to me now.” So he swore to him and sold his birthright to Jacob.

Genesis 25:29-33

Esau lost it all because he couldn't faithfully look ahead. He couldn't see past the current discomfort to the future blessing. He couldn't accept what God had in store for him. Instead he took control of the situation and got what he thought he really wanted.

Agnostic007

• Getbig V
« Reply #11 on: September 23, 2017, 10:24:03 PM »
I hope this person posting gets the professional help they obviously need

Man of Steel

• Getbig V
« Reply #12 on: September 25, 2017, 09:23:21 AM »
I hope this person posting gets the professional help they obviously need

What's the problem?  Screwtape is just making comments on scripture and adding a bit of commentary from other sources.

Agnostic007

• Getbig V
« Reply #13 on: September 25, 2017, 11:57:48 AM »
he's essentially posting scripture and talking to himself. Not really a normal thing to do. Obviously he has some issues and I hope he gets the help he needs

(Screwtape)

• Getbig II
« Reply #14 on: September 25, 2017, 02:02:22 PM »
he's essentially posting scripture and talking to himself. Not really a normal thing to do. Obviously he has some issues and I hope he gets the help he needs

How much more abnormal is it to go out of your way to insult someone who has nothing to do with you?

Man of Steel

• Getbig V
« Reply #15 on: September 25, 2017, 02:59:03 PM »
it's an attempt to create discussion and unfortunately the religion board is basically dying

Agnostic007

• Getbig V
« Reply #16 on: September 25, 2017, 08:41:34 PM »

How much more abnormal is it to go out of your way to insult someone who has nothing to do with you?

on this board.. pretty normal

Agnostic007

• Getbig V
« Reply #17 on: September 25, 2017, 08:42:09 PM »
but when you're right, you're right. My apologies screwtape