Author Topic: Why are most personal trainers idiots?  (Read 7178 times)

bronxbomber

• Getbig II
  • Getbig!
Re: Why are most personal trainers idiots?
« Reply #25 on: December 21, 2007, 05:34:39 AM »
    In defense of "some" personal trainers. many of us work on different levels. those trainers at gyms usaully level 4 -6 are multi certified, have accumulated a number of countinuing education credits, and have passed certain exams to move up in levels.
    I myself being a  master trainer level 4 at NYSC-compete nationally, and won an overall in NY. but i also understand how to apply the use of med balls stability balls, bands to my clients who require "functional training"
    NOT everbody is a bodybuilder or requires that level of intensity.

so while some of us  here on getbig get our advice from flex magazine and call ourselves masters of the gym. some of us idiot personal trainer take a more indept approach and learn kinesiology and how to apply corrective exercises , to promote overall fitness!

P.S looks like somebody needs to pay more attention to their lower lats!

Playboy

• Getbig V
  • If the bar ain't bending, you're just pretending
« Reply #26 on: December 21, 2007, 05:40:34 AM »
Personal trainers are idiots because they are completely clueless on how to train. They take their little weekend crash course and they think they're Charles Glass. Most personal trainers I have seen are about 5'7 or 5'8" and weigh a wopping 160lbs soaked and wet. Yet, they're telling people how to train. And the suckers that pay them are even more stupid.

Rome

• Getbig IV
  • Pics or GTFO!
« Reply #27 on: December 21, 2007, 05:45:31 AM »
I saw this personal trainer at the gym today in an underarmor shirt, which actually fit him loose.. lol.. He was training this fat lady on a medicine ball and telling her that he'd flatten her stomach in no time, and then adding that she ought to drink gatorade for increased energy or something along those lines.. He was telling her to do crunches to flatten her stomach and to work on the various leg machines to define her hips and backside.  ::) This is the same woman I've seen for months and months now looking as fat as ever. hahaha

Seems like these idiot personal trainers don't know anything about nutrition. They give useless advice to their clients, while advestising products sold at the gym's store. Can't believe that people are desperate enough to actually pay these idiots. lol

I've been a Trainer for over 15 years and there is definitely a HUGE fall off in good quality Trainers over the last few years.
The problem is that if you can memorize answers to a 180 question quiz....
 YOU ARE A CERTIFIED TRAINER!  A person can know next to nothing about training and as long as you pass the "certification" test you can start slinging the bullshit to clients. It's a very sad state of affairs and those of us that are serious about what we do just shake our heads when we see a new "trainer" B.S ing his way through a session with a client and talking about the acting audition he had the other day.  :-\
  As for nutrition, in New York unless you have a license in the field, trainers are not supposed to give out ANY nutritional advice.
It seems that about 10 years ago a trainer from CRUNCH told his client to buy some ripped fuel so she could "tone up for the beach"
The client had a heart condition that she failed to mention to the trainer(not that he asked) and shortly thereafter took a dirt nap

MAXX

• Getbig V
  • MAGA
« Reply #28 on: December 21, 2007, 05:56:08 AM »
the personal trainers at my gym doesn't even work out themselves :D

or well.. to be fair sometimes one of them commes in for a quick "workout".. last time i studied him abit for fun. it consisted of; dumbell shruggs with a wopping 65 pounds, then moves over to doing some dumbell flyes after that some calfraises. needless to say skinny as fuck and allways wears the 'coolest' clothes we have here (bb, gasp and tapout)  ::)

i really dont understand how these peoples mind work its like they are from another planet ???

joelocal

« Reply #29 on: December 21, 2007, 06:19:26 AM »
the personal trainers at my gym doesn't even work out themselves :D

Is it because they are booked all day or just being lazy? I know I sometimes have a hard time finding time to train because of my schedule, but if they are not training because of lazyness, then there is no excuse.

HUGEPECS

• Getbig V
  • School of Hard knocks Gym
« Reply #30 on: December 21, 2007, 07:48:26 AM »
I know an exclusive fitness facility in washington D.C that requires personnal trainers to have at least a bachelor degree in physical education before they would even consider them.
Get Big, or Die Trying

dov

• Getbig IV
« Reply #31 on: December 21, 2007, 07:50:55 AM »
Off the top of my head, i think its like 40 - 45 dollars.
National average...around $65/hour

Thin Lizzy

• Getbig V
  • It’s all a fraud
« Reply #32 on: December 21, 2007, 08:01:28 AM »
It's just sad and pathetic, but business is business I guess.

I went and worked out an Equinox in the city and the trainers there knew their shit. They seemed to be actually helping their clients, as well as nonclients who were just working out. All of them were built and idealistic, and most of their clients were in good shape too. But then again Equinox is an excellent health club, nothing like 24 hour bullshit/Balleys/NYSC.

I'd bet most of the trainers at Equinox are actors and models trying to make ends meets. PTing in NYC is a hustle and more about personality than knowledge. Most of the clients are women w/ money to burn. They just want toned arms, a flat stomach, shapely thighs, and a firm butt. So, a trainer can be successful without being a technical genius.

peroni

• Getbig III
« Reply #33 on: December 21, 2007, 08:10:43 AM »
Guys like that are an embarrassment to the profession. I refuse to allow those types to work at my gym.

lucian

• Competitors
  • Getbig II
  • www.m3muscle.com
« Reply #34 on: December 21, 2007, 08:13:39 AM »
I saw this personal trainer at the gym today in an underarmor shirt, which actually fit him loose.. lol.. He was training this fat lady on a medicine ball and telling her that he'd flatten her stomach in no time, and then adding that she ought to drink gatorade for increased energy or something along those lines.. He was telling her to do crunches to flatten her stomach and to work on the various leg machines to define her hips and backside.  ::) This is the same woman I've seen for months and months now looking as fat as ever. hahaha

Seems like these idiot personal trainers don't know anything about nutrition. They give useless advice to their clients, while advestising products sold at the gym's store. Can't believe that people are desperate enough to actually pay these idiots. lol

anyone can get a certificaton. and some gyms dont care. if you are a good talker and can sell yourself....you can get clients, but when the results dont happen....they leave. good trainers have clients for a long time. some years. most certs dont have too much about nutrition. like one chapter. i see these guys all the time training soccer moms. oh well sooner or laer they find out the dont know shit.
lucian
T

Thin Lizzy

• Getbig V
  • It’s all a fraud
« Reply #35 on: December 21, 2007, 08:20:56 AM »
Guys like that are an embarrassment to the profession. I refuse to allow those types to work at my gym.

The "profession" isn't much of  a profession.

For most, it's a transitional job. I did it when I was 23-24. It was cool at the time. I sure wouldn't want to do it, now, at 40. I would bet that every single trainer I worked with back then, is now doing something else.

jaejonna

• Getbig V
  • Head Asian of Getbig
« Reply #36 on: December 21, 2007, 08:27:34 AM »
What do you expect from someone making 30K tops ?
L

Camel Jockey

• Getbig V
  • Mel Gibson and Bob Sly World Domination
« Reply #37 on: December 21, 2007, 08:49:11 AM »
And i suppose you would have the fat lady over in the corner in the squat rack doing 5 sets of 5 ass to floor and telling her she should only eat chicken and rice...

I would have her doing cardio.

The Showstoppa

• Getbig V
  • Call the vet, cause these pythons are sick!
« Reply #38 on: December 21, 2007, 08:58:37 AM »
I would have her out in the parking lot pulling an SUV.

Triple-H_2005

• Competitors II
  • Getbig IV
  • I mostly lurk...
« Reply #39 on: December 21, 2007, 09:14:12 AM »
I would have her out in the parking lot pulling an SUV.
I would have her pulling my sleigh from house to house while I deliver presents to all the good little boys and girls.

HTexan

• Getbig V
  • Heath must lose!!
« Reply #40 on: December 21, 2007, 10:16:47 AM »
National average...around $65/hour

Cool, looks like i am getting a good deal.
A

peroni

• Getbig III
« Reply #41 on: December 21, 2007, 11:24:40 AM »
The "profession" isn't much of  a profession.

For most, it's a transitional job. I did it when I was 23-24. It was cool at the time. I sure wouldn't want to do it, now, at 40. I would bet that every single trainer I worked with back then, is now doing something else.

That's because you were all so good at it and kept advancing your knowledge and your business. You may as well have pumped gas. Trainers like that aren't trainers. They're salespeople.

jaejonna

• Getbig V
  • Head Asian of Getbig
« Reply #42 on: December 21, 2007, 11:29:55 AM »
Cool, looks like i am getting a good deal.
'Dov's' mom doesnt even make 60 an hour and she can suck like a hoover
L

joelocal

« Reply #43 on: December 21, 2007, 11:33:10 AM »
What do you expect from someone making 30K tops ?

Most trainers at the "Sports Club/Irvine" in my area are making upwards of $70-100k

joelocal

« Reply #44 on: December 21, 2007, 11:36:22 AM »
If you think of a "job" then thats all it will be and you deserve to make little money, but if you treat it and run it like a business, you can make as much as you want. I run my business.....like a business!!

Thin Lizzy

• Getbig V
  • It’s all a fraud
« Reply #45 on: December 21, 2007, 12:04:49 PM »
Most trainers at the "Sports Club/Irvine" in my area are making upwards of $70-100k

So, the people at the top of the PT food chain make 70-100K. Great! What does the MEDIAN pt make, and how do his benefits compare with other lines of work?

Let's be clear. I'm not saying one can't make a living as a pt. I'm saying that compared to other "professions" it doesn't stack up well.

bronxbomber

• Getbig II
  • Getbig!
« Reply #46 on: December 21, 2007, 08:25:38 PM »
  good point joe! totally agree!

and some gyms do offer benefits for traininers who log in certain amount of hours. so it does provide some stability.

breakdown your saleries after taxes and figure out how much you all get paid per hour of acually work! many of you can't say you make more than 65-100 $/hour

Spoony Luv

• Getbig IV
  • FROM UP ABOVE!!!
« Reply #47 on: December 21, 2007, 08:30:37 PM »
If you think of a "job" then thats all it will be and you deserve to make little money, but if you treat it and run it like a business, you can make as much as you want. I run my business.....like a business!!

If that were really true, you wouldn't have stepped on a bodybuilding stage well into your 40's...

joelocal

« Reply #48 on: December 21, 2007, 09:47:31 PM »
If that were really true, you wouldn't have stepped on a bodybuilding stage well into your 40's...

Then why have I picked up 8 new clients since? By my books, thats about an extra $6-7000.00 per month.

BTW, Hi Garreth.

Croatch

• Getbig V
  • Man up, train natural.
« Reply #49 on: December 21, 2007, 11:46:45 PM »
One time I had a trainer ask me where to get some test, I replied, "I wouldn't know, I don't take that crap."  He was stunned.  The thought of someone gaining more than 15lbs of muscle naturally, was beyond him.  Just shows how fucking sad most people are, with their 2 cent diets and shit genetics/work ethic...ahah
My favorite is when someone asks me if I compete.  I always think, why the fuck would I want to do that...haha  It's always some guy who looks blah on roids, asking too...even better. :D
Excessive roid use, pennies for pay, oily men in thongs...haha, no talent involved, no thanks.
N