Author Topic: Favre Retires (Again)  (Read 1863 times)

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
  • I am. The most interesting man in the world. (Not)
Favre Retires (Again)
« on: February 11, 2009, 01:05:45 PM »
At least he wasn't a drama queen this offseason.  For a change. 

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3898942

OzmO

• Getbig V
  • Drink enough Kool-aid and you'll think its healthy
Re: Favre Retires (Again)
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2009, 01:08:39 PM »
I hope this doesn't turn into another off season circus that spills over into the 2009 season with him playing fro another team.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2009, 05:47:00 PM »
 ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::)

Source: Favre, Vikes to discuss playing
By Ed Werder
ESPN.com

Minnesota Vikings head coach Brad Childress and quarterback Brett Favre plan to meet at an undisclosed location later this week to discuss the possibility of the former Packers and Jets quarterback renouncing his retirement from the NFL to play the 2009 season with the Vikings, according to a source with direct knowledge of discussions between the two parties.

There is a mutual understanding that sometime soon thereafter Favre will decide whether to sign with the Vikings. The team would expect him to participate fully in offseason minicamps and training camps, which he missed last year with the Jets.

Favre has not been working out and declined to have surgery to repair the torn biceps tendon that plagued him the final month of last season.

Favre may believe the injury can heal on its own as did a similar problem with his left shoulder while he played in Green Bay. A source close to Favre told ESPN's Chris Mortensen that how the injury heals will play a role in the quarterback's decision.

The source also said that the quarterback's agent, Bus Cook, is researching unemployed NFL quarterback coaches to see if one can be hired to work with Favre in Mississippi while he ponders a possible return.

Favre wanted to play for the Vikings last season, but the Packers specifically eliminated their NFC North rivals as a potential destination for the Green Bay icon.

While Favre had been emphatic about not returning next season, he never anticipated the Jets would release him after drafting Mark Sanchez in the first round and could see the Vikings as the opportunity to fulfill the goal he was deprived of last season -- winning a Super Bowl.

Favre admitted to ESPN that he was motivated to play in 2008 largely because of his resentment toward Packers general manager Ted Thompson.

The Vikings had planned to have Tarvaris Jackson and Sage Rosenfels compete for the starting quarterback position in training camp. With Jackson battling injuries last season, journeyman Gus Frerotte started 11 games and led the Vikes in passing.

Minnesota finished 10-6 to capture the NFC North but lost to the Eagles in the first round of the playoffs in a game started by Jackson.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=4142857

UPINTHEMGUTS

• Getbig V
  • I can spot crazy pussy....
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2009, 06:19:15 PM »
Man....I definitely respect Favre's warrior mentality, but he needs to hang it up....playing another poor season like last year with the Jets would really tarnish his legacy even further. He took the Packers to the NFC championship in his final season with the team. That should have been it for him.

But Favre has had a lot of success playing in Dome games over the course of his career. He's won a few playoff games and a Superbowl on dome turf, too. But the speed of opposing defenses playing on turf against a 40 year quarterback???

Not good.......

Earl1972

• Getbig V
  • #EarlToo
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2009, 06:36:33 PM »
he's a douche, i've been saying that for the last 6 years

NOW YOU ALL KNOW

why the hell do these teams want him any way?

E
E

UPINTHEMGUTS

• Getbig V
« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2009, 06:40:59 PM »
he's a douche, i've been saying that for the last 6 years

NOW YOU ALL KNOW

why the hell do these teams want him any way?

E

What would you do if Tavaris Jackson and Gus Freotte were your two choices as QB?

Earl1972

• Getbig V
  • #EarlToo
« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2009, 06:42:30 PM »
What would you do if Tavaris Jackson and Gus Freotte were your two choices as QB?

i woud've signed byron leftwich, not sign a selfish overrated old man that had one good year the last 6 seasons

E
E

UPINTHEMGUTS

• Getbig V
« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2009, 06:48:05 PM »
i woud've signed byron leftwich, not sign a selfish overrated old man that had one good year the last 6 seasons

E

So funny that you refer him to him as being "old" when both you and I are literally within 3-4 years of his age.

Earl1972

• Getbig V
  • #EarlToo
« Reply #8 on: May 05, 2009, 06:48:43 PM »

So funny that you refer him to him as being "old" when both you and I are literally within 3-4 years of his age.

he's ancient for the nfl

we are young for everyday life 8)

E
E

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #9 on: May 05, 2009, 06:49:18 PM »

E

I don't know why so many QB-needy teams passed on Leftwich.  The Vikings should have done exactly what TB did:  sign Leftwich and draft a QB.  

Earl1972

• Getbig V
  • #EarlToo
« Reply #10 on: May 05, 2009, 06:53:53 PM »
I don't know why so many QB-needy teams passed on Leftwich.  The Vikings should have done exactly what TB did:  sign Leftwich and draft a QB.  

exactly and i'm hearing the bucs signed him to throw off other teams, thinking they wouldn't draft a qb

when he came in against the redskins he moved the ball better than big ben, who struggled that game before leaving with an injury

same thing against the browns in week 17, he can play it's just teams are scared of him because the jags gave up on him too early

E
E

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #11 on: May 05, 2009, 06:57:50 PM »
exactly and i'm hearing the bucs signed him to throw off other teams, thinking they wouldn't draft a qb

when he came in against the redskins he moved the ball better than big ben, who struggled that game before leaving with an injury

same thing against the browns in week 17, he can play it's just teams are scared of him because the jags gave up on him too early

E

Yeah.  I agree.  Can't believe the Jags just cut him.  I thought there might have been some kind of injury, work ethic, etc. issue we didn't know about, but that doesn't appear to be the case.

I've been a fan of his since watching him play on one leg at Marshall.   

2ND COMING

• Getbig V
  • Might is right.
« Reply #12 on: May 05, 2009, 07:08:38 PM »
i cant be the only one who wants to see favre play in a vik uniform

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #13 on: May 05, 2009, 07:10:32 PM »
i cant be the only one who wants to see favre play in a vik uniform

You and Brad Childress.

pumpster

• Getbig V
  • If you're reading this you have too much free time
« Reply #14 on: May 05, 2009, 07:24:26 PM »
He would defnitely spice up the Viking's season in terms of excitement and to a lesser extent the skills he would add. A clear sign of the team's mismangement that the best they can do to upgrade QB is this guy.

Someone with this much trouble retiring is tacitly admitting he has no life beyond football. Doesn't say alot about the man's character or intelligence that with the wealth and opportunity he's had in other fields outside of football he can't find something else.

UPINTHEMGUTS

• Getbig V
« Reply #15 on: May 07, 2009, 09:48:10 AM »
He would defnitely spice up the Viking's season in terms of excitement and to a lesser extent the skills he would add. A clear sign of the team's mismangement that the best they can do to upgrade QB is this guy.

Someone with this much trouble retiring is tacitly admitting he has no life beyond football. Doesn't say alot about the man's character or intelligence that with the wealth and opportunity he's had in other fields outside of football he can't find something else.

Or maybe he just loves the game too much to let it go. Unless you've been in the unique position to walk in his shoes, your opinion really means dick, sorry to say.

2ND COMING

• Getbig V
  • Might is right.
« Reply #16 on: May 07, 2009, 01:17:17 PM »
yahoo sports is reporting that he's done. No comeback.

LatsMcGee

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #17 on: May 09, 2009, 02:16:13 AM »
If Brett really wanted to piss off Green Bay he should have signed with Chicago for the league minimum.