Author Topic: Should pregnant women get special parking privileges?  (Read 2164 times)

BayGBM

• Getbig V
Should pregnant women get special parking privileges?
« on: January 24, 2011, 03:19:22 PM »
Should pregnant women get special parking privileges?

Women experiencing difficult pregnancies may soon be entitled to free parking anywhere in New York City, if a new bill passes. Pregnant women with mobility challenges could slide right into No Parking zones. What do you think? Should San Francisco consider a similar law for women with swollen feet and aching backs?

New York City councilman David Greenfield (Democrat, Brooklyn) has proposed legislation that allows pregnant women to request a note from their doctor entitling them to a special parking placard.

"The women could then park for free in no-parking or no-standing zones until 30 days after their expected due dates -- a cushion of time for those whose deliveries come later than expected -- or who need to recover from childbirth complications," according to the New York Daily News.

Under the new law, disabled drivers would still have superior benefits. Pregnant women wouldn't be able to park in handicapped spaces in parking lots nor would they be able to park all day without feeding the meter.

Some states have similar laws. For example, in Oklahoma pregnant women can request a handicap placard. Yet in Oklahoma parking spaces are more readily available than in New York.

Greenfield decided to introduce the legislation after his wife struggled with two complicated pregnancies. "If I'm on a train and a pregnant woman walks in, I stand up and offer her my seat," Greenfield told the Daily News. "I consider this legislation to be the same thing -- standing up on the City Council for women who have difficult pregnancies."

As you'd expect, the proposed legislation is being met with varied response.

"Being eight or nine months pregnant is hard anyway, so this is a good benefit," 29-year-old expectant mom Asma Lat told the Daily News.

"This would create another group entitled to park on curbs where there is no room already," Paul Steely White of the transit advocacy group Transportation Alternatives, told the Daily News. "The city already has too many special parking permits -- and too many people abusing the system with fake placards and scams."

Can you imagine if a similar law were proposed in San Francisco? You'd definitely hear from some loud-mouthed opponents. The anti-population growth activists would say that anyone contributing to our world's overpopulation problem should be penalized, not rewarded. Those living with cars yet without parking spaces in Russian Hill would throw serious temper-tantrums and scream "No fair!" Men would say that they deserve the same right. Some would vehemently object because something like 50,000 people in this city already have handicap placards and the last thing we need is even more people with parking privileges who need to be monitored because sometimes in these situations people use and abuse the system. And the list goes on...

Granting parking privileges to a woman who is eight months pregnant and barely able to walk seems like a nice thing to do. My fear is that something like this fuels the 1950s idea that pregnant women are incapable and disabled. There's already so much discrimination against pregnant women--especially in the workplace--and if anything pregnant women need to let the world know that we're fully capable.

"A lot of bosses just don't think you'll be as dedicated, that you're as nimble or fast, mentally or physically," Sonia Ossorio of the National Organization for Women in New York City told the Daily News. "You see women's career paths completely take a wrong turn as a result of getting pregnant and becoming mothers."

Andy Griffin

• Getbig V
  • I know my own name, bitch.
Re: Should pregnant women get special parking privileges?
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2011, 04:34:59 PM »
Women are always welcome to park themselves in the kitchen.  Hope this helps.
~

newmom

« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2011, 04:39:46 PM »
no I'm sorry they should'nt. Yes, walking around at 8 months at times is uncomfortable. I can just see the hoopla on 86th Street in Bayridge Brooklyn allowing such a thing. It's easier to walk down steps to get on a subway than a parking spot in certain parts of the city.

Babies R Us does have front spots for mommies to be and that's fine I guess.
Women are always welcome to park themselves in the kitchen.  Hope this helps.

hi bench and chaos

btw, happy bday Andy

benchmstr

• Getbig V
  • Raging drunk
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2011, 07:00:02 PM »
hell no they shouldn't...they need to exercise they're fat asses...for the health of the baby, and so they are fit when the baby actually comes out...

at all the stores around here they have "expecting mothers" parking spots, and i always park in them....i demand equal rights!!!

bench

benchmstr

• Getbig V
  • Raging drunk
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2011, 07:01:07 PM »
no I'm sorry they should'nt. Yes, walking around at 8 months at times is uncomfortable. I can just see the hoopla on 86th Street in Bayridge Brooklyn allowing such a thing. It's easier to walk down steps to get on a subway than a parking spot in certain parts of the city.

Babies R Us does have front spots for mommies to be and that's fine I guess.
hi bench and chaos

btw, happy bday Andy
dont use my name in vain...its a hell worthy sin..

bench

Migs

• Getbig V
  • THERE WAS A FIRE FIGHT!!!!
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2011, 07:19:34 PM »
no it's a bunch of bs

Brixtonbulldog

• Getbig V
  • TAKE YO FUCKING JACKET WIT YA
« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2011, 10:01:29 PM »
considering the excruciating and debilitating state they have to endure in the last trimester i would normally say yes..

and then i remember the way they behave. 

we can put thier 'special' parking places in the farthest row from the door.

newmom

« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2011, 04:33:48 AM »
considering the excruciating and debilitating state they have to endure in the last trimester i would normally say yes..

and then i remember the way they behave. 

we can put thier 'special' parking places in the farthest row from the door.

well let's see how hot you feel when your hormones are in disary and 6 llbs jabbing your bladder

but no I still don't think they should in all honesty

BayGBM

• Getbig V
« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2011, 06:01:44 AM »
well let's see how hot you feel when your hormones are in disary and 6 llbs jabbing your bladder

but no I still don't think they should in all honesty

I am pleasantly surprised to hear this is your position, but I am curious to know your rationale.  Why do you think these kinds of reserved spaces have become so popular and why is it now leaning in the direction of a disabled placard?

I have specifically seen spaces with signs that read “This space reserved for people with infants and small children.”  I don’t know if those signs carry the force of law or if it is just a courtesy that is being extended, but giving women a disabled placard will clearly make it a legal exclusivity.

newmom

« Reply #9 on: January 25, 2011, 06:08:10 AM »
I am pleasantly surprised to hear this is your position, but I am curious to know your rationale.  Why do you think these kinds of reserved spaces have become so popular and why is it now leaning in the direction of a disabled placard?

I have specifically seen spaces with signs that read “This space reserved for people with infants and small children.”  I don’t know if those signs carry the force of law or if it is just a courtesy that is being extended, but giving women a disabled placard will clearly make it a legal exclusivity.

yes they have those spaces at the grocery store I go to and I have only used it a few times when she couldn't walk. I just don't see the need for it is all. I don't think they are unable to walk or anything. I think it's more of a courtesy thing but not sure.

Butterbean

• Getbig V
« Reply #10 on: January 25, 2011, 07:42:49 AM »
I don't think they should be able to park in "no parking" zones (aren't those mainly there for safety issues?)...but sure, give them some regular spaces designated for them!
R

tonymctones

• Getbig V
« Reply #11 on: January 25, 2011, 08:05:54 AM »

most of these spaces are at stores that are frequented by mothers...

walmart, target, grocery stores etc...

so i think its catering to their customer base

you dont see these spots at the gym or bars lol so i dont really have a problem with it

Andy Griffin

• Getbig V
« Reply #12 on: January 25, 2011, 08:09:54 AM »

To my knowledge, these signs do not carry "force of law" since they are often written on signs that match the store's color/font scheme.  While it may be different in other places, most legal no parking/reserved parking spaces here in NC include statute number in small letters at the bottom of the sign.
~

Andy Griffin

• Getbig V
« Reply #13 on: January 25, 2011, 08:11:44 AM »

btw, happy bday Andy

Thank you very much.
~