Author Topic: Can Congress do one useful thing this month?  (Read 2001 times)

AD2100

• Getbig IV
Can Congress do one useful thing this month?
« on: December 03, 2013, 07:48:55 AM »
Dec 2, 2013
Ryan Grim, The Huffington Post's Washington bureau chief, talks with Rachel Maddow about whether the 113th Congress will do anything in the year's final days.

JOHN MATRIX

• Getbig V
  • the Media is the Problem
Re: Can Congress do one useful thing this month?
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2013, 08:24:04 AM »
The fewer laws they pass the better imo

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
  • I am. The most interesting man in the world. (Not)
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2013, 10:24:20 AM »

Agree.

AD2100

• Getbig IV
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2013, 06:21:18 PM »
Great job to get paid $171,000 per year to do nothing, offer no ideas to make the country better...just sit on your hands with a pouty face.

113th Congress, going down in history for its inaction, has a critical December to-do list

Among the items on the must-do list, the confirmation of the new Fed chair is the top priority. Janet Yellen has cleared the Senate banking committee and already had more than enough support from Republicans to clear a 60-vote filibuster hurdle before Democrats unilaterally changed the rules and made all confirmations subject to a simple majority.

The good news for Congress as it heads into the final workdays of the year is that, for the first time in five years, there are no edge-of-the-cliff December crises threatening to bring the country to its knees.

The bad news is that whatever gets done in December will still be part of a year with record-low congressional accomplishment.

From the confirmation of a new Federal Reserve chairman to the expiration of dairy pricing rules, House and Senate leaders head into the final month of 2013 with a checklist that is short but critical. But even a final burst of activity would do little to change the historic arc of this calendar year under the Capitol dome.

According to congressional records, there have been fewer than 60 public laws enacted in the first 11 months of this year, so below the previous low in legislative output that officials have already declared this first session of the 113th Congress the least productive ever. In 1995, when the newly empowered GOP congressional majority confronted the Clinton administration, 88 laws were enacted, the record low in the post-World War II era.

tonymctones

• Getbig V
« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2013, 06:39:00 PM »
the congress has plenty of ideas to make the country better AD it just the democrats dont want to hear it ;)

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2013, 06:53:42 PM »
Since when is the productivity of Congress measured by the number of laws they pass? 

tonymctones

• Getbig V
« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2013, 07:17:01 PM »
Since when is the productivity of Congress measured by the number of laws they pass? 
since liberals decided that the government is responsible for everything

AD2100

• Getbig IV
« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2013, 07:30:32 PM »
Seems to me a reasonable method of determining whether these elected officials are worthy of their titles as senators and congressmen and the rather large taxpayer paid salaries they recieve.

Established by Article I of the Constitution, the Legislative Branch consists of the House of Representatives and the Senate, which together form the United States Congress.

Legislator (or lawmaker): is a person who writes and passes laws

Roger Bacon

• Getbig V
  • Roger Bacon tries to be witty and fails
« Reply #8 on: December 10, 2013, 07:35:18 PM »

Yes!

tonymctones

• Getbig V
« Reply #9 on: December 10, 2013, 07:36:27 PM »
Seems to me a reasonable method of determining whether these elected officials are worthy of their titles as senators and congressmen and the rather large taxpayer paid salaries they recieve.

Established by Article I of the Constitution, the Legislative Branch consists of the House of Representatives and the Senate, which together form the United States Congress.

this makes no sense so in your mind the only way for these hacks to earn their pay is to pass more and more legislation?

Roger Bacon

• Getbig V
  • Roger Bacon tries to be witty and fails
« Reply #10 on: December 10, 2013, 07:37:04 PM »

How many laws are enough?

GigantorX

• Getbig V
  • GetBig's A-Team is the Light of Truth!
« Reply #11 on: December 11, 2013, 05:44:35 AM »
How many laws are enough?

Exactly, we have enough useless laws.

We're good.

Fury

• Getbig V
  • All aboard the USS Leverage
« Reply #12 on: December 11, 2013, 07:48:07 AM »
Oh look, another 24KT gimmick. Same shitty posting style and prolific use of stupid baby pictures.

scottt

• Getbig III
« Reply #13 on: December 11, 2013, 07:58:04 AM »
Did anyone else catch that idiot towards the end tell that girl that she would rather her see her lose her freedom for the greater good of women. what kind of a person thinks that way?

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #14 on: December 11, 2013, 08:51:20 AM »

So a Congress that passes 100 bad laws is better than a Congress that passes 50 good ones?